Start by marking “The Accidental Countess (Once Upon An Accident, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Accidental Countess (Once Upon An Accident, #1)

The Accidental Countess (Once Upon An Accident #1)

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  448 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Being a spinster was much easier than becoming the accidental countess and it definitely didn't prepare her for falling in love. Book One in the Once Upon an Accident series. Colleen MacGregor doesn't like rich men, especially rich titled men. Still, her guilt won't allow her to leave Sebastian passed out in the snow. Before he can leave, they are caught in a compromising ...more
Published November 1st 2007 by Samhain Publishing (first published May 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Accidental Countess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Accidental Countess

The Princess Bride by William GoldmanThe White Queen by Philippa GregoryThe Queen's Fool by Philippa GregoryThe Princess Diaries by Meg CabotThe Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen
Royal and Noble Females In The Title
209th out of 246 books — 15 voters
Almost A Bride by Sarah MayberrySecond Chance Bride by Trish MoreyWhat a Bride Wants by Kelly HunterThe Unexpected Bride by Joanne WalshMarry Me, Cowboy by Lilian Darcy
Brides on the Cover
107th out of 144 books — 82 voters

More lists with this book...

Julie (jjmachshev)
Mar 12, 2008 Julie (jjmachshev) rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008-reads
Enjoyed this Samhain release by Melissa Schroeder.
Colleen doesn't want a man. She especially doesn't want a titled man. She really, really doesn't want a rich duke!! But just her luck that the man she saved from death in the snow and she thought was a wastrel drunk turns out to be a rich, titled man. If only they hadn't been caught in that compromising position. Oh well, he's promised to marry her to save her reputation, and then return to London so she can conveniently 'kill him off' since he'
Dinjolina
First of all-this is NOT erotic fiction.
There are some 'cock'-s thrown in there but the sex is pretty much minimal and that makes this just regular HR.
And it got only t stars because this 'just HR' book was 'just' as a whole. In other words, it had potential, it could have been really fun but in the end it JUST felt flat.wo
Donna
Mar 14, 2015 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Accidental Countess is a fun historical romance. Bluestocking spinster saves entitled rake. She has no plans to marry but when found alone with him it is either marry or have her reputation ruined. Things would have been fine but right after they marry he finds out his cousin has passed away and he is now an Earl. Ooops, no annulment now. As with any good historical there is romance, mystery, dancing and of course some snappy dialogue. I truly enjoyed this book. If you are looking for smokin ...more
cookiemonger
May 08, 2015 cookiemonger rated it it was ok
Sometimes I really hate how bad two stars looks. I try to consistently follow the Goodreads definition of two stars as It Was Okay. Which this was.

But it's kind of only okay. The writing has some shining moments, but there are some grating repetitions (matchmaking mamas, breeding) and tired-ish tropes that are played absolutely straight. I mostly liked the romance, though Sebastian got a little too controlling for me.

At one point, he literally threatens her into their marriage. And he's really s
Lyndi
Mar 12, 2015 Lyndi rated it liked it
At least with a historical romance, there is a legitimate excuse for the heroine to think herself so lowly. But it's still damn annoying. Where is the character that's like "You'd be so fuckin' lucky to get with me, dude."... but it actually has to be true, she can't be some horribly delusional nightmare of a woman. She has to be awesome and know she's awesome. This Colleen character was awesome, but she didn't know she was awesome. Which would normally be just fine and dandy, except we spend a ...more
Joy
Melissa Schroeder is one of my favorite authors, thus the 4-star rating, but I'd stick to her contemporary romance novels.

Not that this isn't any good. It is, I liked the characters and how they fell in love with each other. I guess what I was looking for was the setting. The description or the historical feel wasn't there, the author focused on the characters and the story.

The love scenes were quite tame and generally it's a good story. I liked Colleen and her stubbornness, most of all her inde
Salamah
Feb 06, 2016 Salamah rated it liked it
Shelves: erotic-romance
A nice easy read. Kinda like beach reading. The writing was not too bad and the story even though predictable was enjoyable. I really like romance with strong female characters so this one was a good choice. The story is about a woman who is a spinster who find a man in the freezing snow in a ditch and guess what? Rescues him by taking him into her home and then undressing him because he is going to catch cold. But what does the man think about? Well just read it.
Patricia Ange
I think I have found a new author to follow

While the story was a little short I have to say the story was very well developed with interesting characters. I look forward to reading more of the series and especially more of this author.
Cheri D Mendenhall
Liked it

I liked this book, how Sebastion and Colleen grew to know each other, the secondary characters with a little bit of suspense, in the mix.
Regina
Jun 02, 2012 Regina rated it liked it
At first, there's a lot of push and pull between Sebastian and Colleen since neither one wanted to be married period, and not just with each other. But as in the way with romance, once they learned more about the other, they easily fell in love. I liked the natural progression of that. The mystery of who was trying to kill off Sebastian and his line was a little predictable and contrived, but it's not so bothersome. I still saw how it brought the couple closer together. And, of course, the heate ...more
Jess the Romanceaholic
Good Lord I thought they'd never admit they loved each other lol

Still, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Sebastian totally reminded me of a Loretta Chase hero -- you know the type -- Fights falling in love but really is completely besotted with the heroine pretty much from the start? *contented sigh* Lovely :)

I was surprised by the ending, though I admit the transition from the last chapter into the epilogue had me blinking to see if I'd missed something since it was so abrupt..

Solid 4 1/2 Stars
Joanie
Jul 12, 2013 Joanie rated it really liked it
Colleen did not want any man but coming home during a snow storm, she came upon a "drunkard" and dragged him to her home just so he would not succomb to the freezing weather. She stitiched his head and warmed him up. He insisted that he only drank brandy but why did he smell so of whiskey? Who was this man and what was he hiding? Because they were caught in a compromising position, he wanted to marry her to save face.
Was Sebastian really an earl and would Colleen accept what was happening.
This w
Nicole Galbraith
Aug 16, 2010 Nicole Galbraith rated it really liked it
When Colleen MacGregor finds Sebastian Ware passed out in the snow in the middle of a snowstorm, they have both sworn never to marry anyone. But, when they are discovered in a compromising position, they are forced to marry to save her reputation. Little do they know that this will put them both in grave danger. Can a match like this ever turn to love?

This was a great historical romance. Colleen and Sebastian are both likable characters and the mystery keeps your attention. I really liked the ch
Mysterious
A decent enough romance, but not a "keeper."
Deidre
Jun 17, 2011 Deidre rated it really liked it
Delightful story! Even so I almost marked this at a 3 star rating. The story line is cute and satisfying but realy could have used a better editing job as parts of it came out jumbled.

For me there is nothing more annoying than to be reading and all of a sudden having what your reading not make any sense or relate to anything being said at that time and I found myself going back several times looking for something I missed but hadn't. With a good editing to keep thing flowing smoothly this could
Amy
Jul 14, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing
What a fun book! This was delightfully filled with love, humor, & suspense. I can't wait to read the rest of the series. In all the books I've ever read, I don't know why it didn't occur to someone sooner that the heroine of the story should simply pluck the hero out of the snow and save the day from the very beginning! The way that Ms. Schroeder then allows the rest of the book to play out just builds delightfully from a place that most writers would end their story. I loved this book!
Brandy
Aug 24, 2010 Brandy rated it really liked it
Let me start off by saying that I read book 2, Lessons in Seduction, before I read this one. I loved this book. It didn't hurt me one bit to read backwards in series order. Actually when I finished last night I wanted to go and read Lessons in Seduction again just so I can hang out with the characters some more.

I'm thrilled to know that the 3rd book in the series will be coming out in the not too distant future and I can't wait.
Cynthia
It was okay: Predictable but too sweet. The heroine, Colleen Macgregor, was a bit sassy, which I liked. The hero, Sebastian Ware, was a bore. Even so, I look forward to reading her next one in the series, maybe it will be a little spicier with Cicely and Douglas. Lessons in Seduction by Melissa Schroeder
Alysha
Feb 12, 2014 Alysha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I didn't think I would like this book but I got hooked once Sebastian's mum and sister came to Colleen's house. I was glad that I was guessing right until the end, who was trying to kill Colleen and liked how the couple fell in love together. However I was a bit thrown off with her sudden pregnancy and how she wouldn't tell Sebastian straight away, making it more melodramatic than it needed to be.
Kathy Heare Watts
Very good story, intriging plot. I actually did not really guess who the murderer was. The story was a page turner.
Marci Hopkins
Mar 07, 2010 Marci Hopkins rated it liked it
I read this over the weekend. It isn't a particularly inspiring book. The villains are well introduced, if not particularly well fleshed out. Their motivations are unclear, beyond the obvious "greed," I did like the hero and I got used to the heroine who was single-mindedly annoying for the first bit. Always hardening her heart and the like. It was okay.
Pamela(AllHoney)
The first book in the Once Upon An Accident series by Melissa Schroeder. I have been a little disappointed in many of the historical romances I've read recently but this was a pleasant surprise. Not quite a 5 star but a good 4 star IMHO. I didn't feel like I was reading the same old story over and over again.
Lynn
I love d Sebastian and colleen... they were awesome characters and I loved watching them fall in love...especially Sebastian... the story had romance, intrigue, sexy love scenes. I am now scrambling to find other books in this series as I look forward to reading more about this cast of characters.
Lorie
Jun 28, 2012 Lorie rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Shroeder could have used a better editor. Decent story, but started to ramble and go in ten different directions...then she reigned it in too quick, almost matter of factly with a bit of a lame twist near the end. Wish it would have finished as strong as it began. Kept my attention though :)
Divina
Apr 30, 2011 Divina rated it liked it
It was a good romance story and likeable characters. I enjoyed the heroine's strong personality and her quick wit. She was determined to stay unmarried, but fate had other ideas. The hero was good and was not the usual "Alpha-type" kind of hero I expect from these historical novels.
Toni ~married to a hunk~
I loved her other Harmless series and thought I would try this one out. I read it in one setting. I thought it was well written and well orchestrated. I got who the person was right before it happened.
Maggie
Mar 20, 2015 Maggie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love a romance in which the herione honestly thinks she's plain and the hero wants her at first glance. I'm really looking forward to the rest in the series (which are waiting on my kindle.) :)
Erin
Jul 14, 2011 Erin rated it really liked it
I'm enjoying this series. Quite a change from the Harmless series! (Oh, how I wish there were more of those!) From kink to a time when showing an ankle was scandalous! ;)
Mydearloverboy
Aug 09, 2012 Mydearloverboy rated it it was amazing
5 stars!! great story and plotline...could have used a bit more intrigue and the ending was a bit rushed;p

overall, 5 stars...maybe a keeper..;p
Yackie
Dec 26, 2013 Yackie rated it liked it
This book was just okay. I would've liked a little more chemistry between the main characters. But it was a quick read so it wasn't too bad.
  • The Dutiful Rake
  • Miss Winthorpe's Elopement (Belston & Friends #1)
  • The Dissolute Duke (Wellinghams, #4)
  • Carnal Deceptions
  • Nothing To Commend Her
  • Beauty for Ashes
  • The Bride Sale
  • Annabelle's Courtship
  • Vicar's Daughter to Viscount's Lady (Transformation of the Shelley Sisters, #2)
  • A Lady in Waiting (Oh, Yum!)
  • To Wed a Scandalous Spy (Royal Four, #1)
  • Rory (Rakehells of Rochester, #3)
  • The Scandalous Love of a Duke (Marlow Intrigues, #3)
  • A Carnal Agreement (Regency Intrigue, #1)
Born to an Air Force family at an Army hospital Melissa has always been a little bit screwy. She was further warped by her years of watching Monty Python and her strange family. Her love of romance novels developed after accidentally picking up a Linda Howard book. After becoming hooked, she read close to 300 novels in one year, deciding that romance was her true calling instead of the literary sh ...more
More about Melissa Schroeder...

Once Upon An Accident (4 books)
  • Lessons in Seduction (Once Upon An Accident, #2)
  • The Spy Who Loved Her (Once Upon an Accident, #3)
  • Falling in Love Again (Once Upon an Accident, #3.5)