Start by marking “The EPZ Ethics of Climate Change: Right and Wrong in a Warming World” as Want to Read:
The EPZ Ethics of Climate Change: Right and Wrong in a Warming World

The EPZ Ethics of Climate Change: Right and Wrong in a Warming World

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  9 reviews
"Open this book and James Garvey is right there making real sense to you... in a necessary conversation, capturing you to the very end."Ted Honderich, Grote Professor Emeritus of The Philosophy of Mind & Logic, University College London, UK.

James Garvey argues that the ultimate rationale for action on climate change cannot be simply economic, political, scientific or
Published March 21st 2008 by Bloomsbury Academic

To ask other readers questions about The EPZ Ethics of Climate Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The EPZ Ethics of Climate Change

Ad Astra
I read this book for my Environmental Philosophy. This is getting a low rating because although it was an informative book, it built a lot of its arguments relying on names and points based on the fact that people were scientists. I would have liked a little more exploration on the theory and functioning of global climate change, which I believe is a fact. But then again, I should have been paying attention to the title. This is an ethical debate about the function of industrialization, globaliz ...more
Simon Bale
A very lucid and accessible book covering what it sets out to cover: the ethica basis for the various decisions required when we confront climate change.

It is an honest and realistic book. Garvey doesn't try to reduce the topic to the lowest common denominator, but also does not overwhelm with data. I find this valuable. Too many climate changes texts can become rather stuffed full of the detail and fail to do what Garvey does: provide good arguments for actually doing something.

Read it and then
Christina Mitchell
The book clearly goes through morality to action, personal and collective, in terms of global warming. Gives a good overview of the science that, as we have learned, can no longer be dismissed, and discusses our personal and societal reasonings for not doing anything substantive to address the problem. It is a deep, troubled reading, and he warns that it will be necessary to take breaks. In other words, the truth is not sugar coated for easy or pleasant consumption. Garvey is trying to make a po ...more
Rajani
Garvey asks many good ethical questions about addressing climate change and our somewhat inadequate actions at present. He questions many ethical stance taken in climate change. However, his ethics of climate change I feel is still building. This book only gives the foundation on which he wants to base his ethic of climate change on. Nevertheless, he stresses us to think of our own climate change and somehow gives the blueprint on how to do so. The read is not always smooth but you won't feel li ...more
Mills College Library
179.1 G2446 2008
Matthew
this is a very clear and well-written book. the basic argument is pretty predictable: on pretty much any way of looking at ethics, we owe it to each other not to do things that put others under high risk of damage, pain, death. all of the climate science says that that's precisely what we are doing by polluting at the current levels. qed. i feel like that's stuff most of us know, but it was helpful to have it put in such a straightforward way.
Peter
Just read first two or three chapters. I really liked his clear style and approach to moral philosophy. However I was looking for something else - not so much a consideration of why action on climate change is an important moral issue, but rather, a more detailed examination of the moral choices to be made in handling climate change, especially in dealing with trade-offs between developed and developing world.
Adam
A little dry but really gave me a lot to think about. Good book that helped me teach my class relating the topic of climate change and interweaving philosophy.
Tw Jenkins
Very goos story.
Margaret Roberts
Margaret Roberts marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Ryan
Ryan added it
May 04, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Elisa
Elisa marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Lana
Lana marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2013
Brian Mutoro
Brian Mutoro marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
The Story of Philosophy The Twenty Greatest Philosophy Books The Story of Philosophy: A History of Western Thought The Ethics of Climate Change: Right and Wrong in a Warming World The Twenty Greatest Philosophy Books