Start by marking “The EPZ Ethics of Climate Change: Right and Wrong in a Warming World” as Want to Read:
The EPZ Ethics of Climate Change: Right and Wrong in a Warming World

The EPZ Ethics of Climate Change: Right and Wrong in a Warming World

3.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  62 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
"Open this book and James Garvey is right there making real sense to you... in a necessary conversation, capturing you to the very end."-Ted Honderich, Grote Professor Emeritus of The Philosophy of Mind & Logic, University College London, UK.

James Garvey argues that the ultimate rationale for action on climate change cannot be simply economic, political, scientific or
Published March 21st 2008 by Bloomsbury Academic

To ask other readers questions about The EPZ Ethics of Climate Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The EPZ Ethics of Climate Change

Sarah Clement
This is a slim volume, so it leaves you with more questions than answers, but it certainly does prompt your thinking. It starts quite slow, going briefly over the science of climate change and the concept of moral philosophy. For me, I found that the first 3 chapters (A Warmer World, Right and Wrong, and Responsibility) were just rehashing what I already knew, what is implicit in what I do, and what is actually enshrined in institutional principals, but I think that's precisely what makes this b ...more
Ad Astra
Jan 19, 2012 Ad Astra rated it it was ok
I read this book for my Environmental Philosophy. This is getting a low rating because although it was an informative book, it built a lot of its arguments relying on names and points based on the fact that people were scientists. I would have liked a little more exploration on the theory and functioning of global climate change, which I believe is a fact. But then again, I should have been paying attention to the title. This is an ethical debate about the function of industrialization, globaliz ...more
Simon Bale
Jun 17, 2012 Simon Bale rated it really liked it
Shelves: environmentalism
A very lucid and accessible book covering what it sets out to cover: the ethica basis for the various decisions required when we confront climate change.

It is an honest and realistic book. Garvey doesn't try to reduce the topic to the lowest common denominator, but also does not overwhelm with data. I find this valuable. Too many climate changes texts can become rather stuffed full of the detail and fail to do what Garvey does: provide good arguments for actually doing something.

Read it and then
Christina Mitchell
Aug 30, 2013 Christina Mitchell rated it liked it
The book clearly goes through morality to action, personal and collective, in terms of global warming. Gives a good overview of the science that, as we have learned, can no longer be dismissed, and discusses our personal and societal reasonings for not doing anything substantive to address the problem. It is a deep, troubled reading, and he warns that it will be necessary to take breaks. In other words, the truth is not sugar coated for easy or pleasant consumption. Garvey is trying to make a po ...more
Rajani
May 01, 2013 Rajani rated it liked it
Garvey asks many good ethical questions about addressing climate change and our somewhat inadequate actions at present. He questions many ethical stance taken in climate change. However, his ethics of climate change I feel is still building. This book only gives the foundation on which he wants to base his ethic of climate change on. Nevertheless, he stresses us to think of our own climate change and somehow gives the blueprint on how to do so. The read is not always smooth but you won't feel li ...more
Mills College Library
179.1 G2446 2008
Matthew
Dec 29, 2008 Matthew rated it it was amazing
this is a very clear and well-written book. the basic argument is pretty predictable: on pretty much any way of looking at ethics, we owe it to each other not to do things that put others under high risk of damage, pain, death. all of the climate science says that that's precisely what we are doing by polluting at the current levels. qed. i feel like that's stuff most of us know, but it was helpful to have it put in such a straightforward way.
Peter
Jul 21, 2009 Peter rated it liked it
Shelves: didntfinish
Just read first two or three chapters. I really liked his clear style and approach to moral philosophy. However I was looking for something else - not so much a consideration of why action on climate change is an important moral issue, but rather, a more detailed examination of the moral choices to be made in handling climate change, especially in dealing with trade-offs between developed and developing world.
Adam
Mar 07, 2009 Adam rated it liked it
A little dry but really gave me a lot to think about. Good book that helped me teach my class relating the topic of climate change and interweaving philosophy.
Tw Jenkins
Feb 17, 2013 Tw Jenkins rated it it was amazing
Very goos story.
Aliza Keen
Aliza Keen rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Amit Kurien
Amit Kurien marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Michelle Dickinson
Michelle Dickinson marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Klippershart
Klippershart rated it really liked it
May 06, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Celiamc
Celiamc marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Jeppe
Jeppe rated it it was ok
Mar 31, 2016
Rory McLeod
Rory McLeod rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Mariel Marchand
Mariel Marchand rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Tom Newman
Tom Newman marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
starwolvie
starwolvie is currently reading it
Jan 23, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Kaitlyn Robertson
Kaitlyn Robertson marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Daniel Hammer
Daniel Hammer rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2015
Julieta Heredia
Julieta Heredia marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Oct 28, 2015
Cris
Cris rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2015
Catherine Chang
Catherine Chang rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2015
Seline
Seline rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2015