Start by marking “Helen's Eyes: A Photobiography of Annie Sullivan, Helen Keller's Teacher” as Want to Read:
Helen's Eyes: A Photobiography of Annie Sullivan, Helen Keller's Teacher

Helen's Eyes: A Photobiography of Annie Sullivan, Helen Keller's Teacher (Photobiographies)

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  97 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
The epic story of Annie Sullivan’s perseverance and triumph in the face of hardship will enthrall readers of every age. This pioneering teacher overcame disability and misfortune before achieving her success as one of the most famous educators of all time.

This is the inspiring photobiography of Anne Mansfield Sullivan, a woman born into a life of daunting disadvantage and
Published February 12th 2008 by National Geographic Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Helen's Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Helen's Eyes

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar WildeThrough the Lens by National Geographic SocietyAll the Light We Cannot See by Anthony DoerrThe Light Between Oceans by M.L. StedmanClear Light of Day by Anita Desai
Title Challenge - Camera terms
98th out of 190 books — 5 voters
Train Go Sorry by Leah Hager CohenDeafening by Frances ItaniThe Story of My Life by Helen KellerBurn Down the Ground by Kambri CrewsHands of My Father by Myron Uhlberg
Deafness
48th out of 62 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Karen
Jun 01, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing
This book has wonderful insights into the life of Anne Sullivan. If you want to see actual photo's of Annie and Helen along with the inside story of their time together read this short insightful book. It is a very quick read, but I actually learned more about Annie Sullivan from this book than any other I have read.
Annie was always by Helen's side, except for a few months while Annie was recovering, until the day she died. While Helen got all the accolades, Annie was the one that help to make t
Megan Cranley
Apr 19, 2016 Megan Cranley rated it really liked it
This book was a great account of Annie's life before she met Helen as well as how her life continued with Helen. This book shared real pictures and documents of the two, and it was like having a flash back in history. Annie had a rough life growing up, and even was going blind as well. I had no idea that Annie was actually going blind her self. I think that fact makes Annie's strength and perseverance go the extra mile. This book shows that no matter what the circumstance is, you will be able to ...more
MCPLD Youth Department
One of my favorite books about Annie Sullivan. Helen Keller was a remarkable person, but so was her teacher, Annie Sullivan. It's great to see a book honoring the teacher who made all the difference in Helen's life.
Carol
Jun 02, 2015 Carol rated it it was amazing
What a great, yet brief, overview of the lives of Helen Keller and Anne Sullivan. It covers from her horrendous childhood to being an adult and earning a living.

It is amazing how Charles Dicken's writings had a major effect on those who read his books. Apparently, Helen's mother discovered a book entitled American Notes written 40 years earlier by Dickens. He wrote about visiting a remarkable deaf-blind girl named Laura Bridgman, who had been taught how to communicate. The story filled Mrs. Ke
Amy
This is a fascinating account of what Annie Sullivan endured in her childhood (partial blindness began at age 5, a father who would fly into rages and beat her, a mother who died of TB when she was 8, abandonment by her father, and by age 10 she and her brother lived in a filthy almshouse where he died of TB a few months later. On her first night there, she and her brother stayed in the "dead house" where the bodies were kept before burial. Her experiences there were absolutely terrifying and sh ...more
Boo
Apr 14, 2013 Boo rated it it was amazing

The I is actually Anne Sullivan.This is in first person

I was born on April 14, 1866 in Feeding Hills, Agawam, Massachusetts and died on October 20, 1936. I was blind when I was about five years old due to a contagious eye disease called trachoma. I had slightly curly hair when my brother and I were sent to the Tewksbury, Massachusetts State poorhouse, or almshouse, at the age of ten years old. Because I have had many operations on my eyes, I hence wore sunglasses to keep the sun out of my eyes.
Erica
A fascinating book about Annie Sullivan, Helen Keller's teacher. The book begins when Annie was a young girl living in the Tewksbury Almshouse. Annie was losing her sight as a young teen and was finally enrolled at the Perkins Institution and Massachusetts School for the Blind. After she graduated she was encouraged to become Helen Keller's teacher.

Annie was frustrated with Helen in the beginning because Helen threw such fits but after Annie was able to work with Helen away from Helen's family
Allison
Apr 18, 2009 Allison rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-non-fiction
Delano, Marfe Ferguson Helen’s Eyes: A Photobiography of Annie Sullivan Helen Keller’s Teacher pgs.64 National Geographic Children's Books Language~G; Sexual Content~G; Violence~G

There are millions of different biographies on Helen Keller and her discovery of language with the help of her teacher Annie Sullivan. But who was Annie Sullivan and how did she develop the skills necessary to help Helen? In a new biography on Annie Sullivan we learn about Annie from her terrible beginnings in an orphan
Becky B
Jan 29, 2013 Becky B rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: upper elem, middle school & high school students
Marfe Delano and National Geographic have done a spectacular job of telling Annie Sullivan's story through words and reproductions of original photographs and other primary materials. The text is well-written. It does not feel dumbed down or sugar coated for kids, but should still be usable as a read-aloud in elementary while providing enough solid material that it could be used by secondary students as a good resource. It does a fair job of portraying both Annie's strengths and weaknesses throu ...more
Chantel
Sep 17, 2008 Chantel rated it it was amazing
Here is the story of a true hero, Annie Sullivan, the teacher of Helen Keller. I was moved by this well-written, well-documented, biography that is filled with period photographs. I had no idea of the struggles Miss Sullivan went through to become a teacher. Almost totally blind herself, she was raised in a cruel children's home and didn't have the opportunity to receive an education. Finally, through sheer will power and luck she was able to attend a famous school for the blind.

Annie's story re
Deanna
Feb 16, 2009 Deanna rated it liked it
Biography about Annie Sullivan, Helen Keller's teacher. Great book that I would put with a text set including Miss Spitfire and other books about Hellen Keller and the new picture book The Black Book of Colors. After reading this book I would like to read the biography that was written about Annie during her own life. Plus I would like to read Hellen Keller's autobiography--The Story of My Life.

What I most got out of this book is the power a teacher can have on a child's life. I certainly hope
Wendy Whitney
Feb 22, 2014 Wendy Whitney rated it really liked it
Inspiring. Easy to follow. Relates to play and movie.
Lindsey
Aug 04, 2015 Lindsey rated it it was amazing
I thought it was very informational.
Lisa
Nov 21, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lisa by: CapCh10-14
"We...have the power of controlling the course of our lives. We can educate ourselves; we can, by thought and perseverance, develop all the powers and capacities entrusted to us." This quote from the book is from Anne Sullivan's valedictory address upon graduation from Perkins School for the Blind. "Helen's Eyes" gives deeper meaning to Sullivan's words, as it tells of her education and life's work after a childhood of poverty, abuse, abandonment, and near loss of sight.
An inspiring biography to
Becky
Jan 27, 2013 Becky rated it really liked it
We all know about Helen Keller, but this is a closer look at her Teacher. I liked the layout with photos and letters from Annie Sullivan's life. I had no idea of the hardships Annie Sullivan experienced - being abandoned and growing up in a poor house being one of them. The book doesn't try to make Annie a saint, but does present her as a remarkable woman who did extraordinary things. Very interesting and a quick read.
Ellen
Feb 23, 2009 Ellen added it
A very good book about two inspiring individuals. Good reading and good role models for kids in grades 4-7. Attention is turned primarily to Annie Sullivan and her revolutionary teaching techniques. Wonderful photos make historical figures come alive. Unlike Keller/Sullivan bios i read as a child, this author also includes their human frailties, such as Annie's stubbornness and Helen's extravagances.
Cherie
Oct 02, 2011 Cherie rated it it was amazing
Genre: Biography
Copyright: 2008 (National Geographic books)
Thoughts: Interesting story about Helen Keller's teacher Annie Sullivan. Lots of layered photographs, letters, and documents. Complete story from childhood to adulthood for both women. Long book (62 pages) but well worth the time.
Mar 02, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
My daughter read this as she was researching Sullivan's life for a school report. The more she told me, the more interested I became. I previously knew only of Annie Sullivan as Helen Keller's teacher, but this book reveals many other aspects of her life as well.
Margaret Gonzalez
Feb 06, 2012 Margaret Gonzalez rated it it was ok
ThE bOOk WAS PRiMARlY GOOd ,BUT i DiDNT likE iT ALl BECAUSE iT WAS SAd iN SOME PARTS SUCH AS WhEN i SAW tHE MAiN GiRl WAS bliNd AND ShE COUldNT SEE hER SURROUNDiNGS. BUT ShE USED iMAGERY TO PiCTURE WHAT WAS hAPPENiNG.(: <3
Martha
May 27, 2008 Martha rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Very well done "photobiography" of Anne Sullivan. Recommended supplementary material for kids researching Sullivan and/or Helen Keller...or just curious about these remarkable women.
Bethany
May 18, 2009 Bethany rated it it was amazing
I never knew anything about Annie Sullivan and it never crossed my mind to think about Helen Kellers teacher until I saw this book at the library. I totally recommend it.
Zorintha
Oct 26, 2011 Zorintha rated it it was amazing
Loved the pictures. This is recommended for 9th graders, but I plan to share it with all my kids becuase the pictures are so interesting as well as the reading.
Andrea
An amazing story. Loved the insight into Annie Sullivan's life--many of the details I had not known. She was truly an amazing woman who endured much hardship.
The Library Lady
Nov 18, 2008 The Library Lady rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-nonfiction
Contrary to the author's opening notes, there are plenty of biographies of Annie Sullivan. But this is a nice one--handsomely laid out and well written.
Laurie
Aug 29, 2008 Laurie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Quick read, but lots of info. Great for reports, even better for browsing. National Geographic knows how to design an appealing book layout.
Cara
Sep 28, 2009 Cara rated it really liked it
Remarkable story. I loved seeing the pictures of people and places. That really made it real. Overall great book.
Paige
Oct 24, 2008 Paige rated it liked it
Recommended to Paige by: Chantel (CLAU)
Shelves: informational
A biography focusing on Anne Sullivan. Good information to be found; more of the story than the movie. :)
Aug 21, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
A non-fiction book in the Juvenile section that was really well-done.
MJ
Jan 22, 2009 MJ rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Interesting: Lots of pics
Bookish
Jan 11, 2011 Bookish rated it it was amazing
Beautifully illustrated, and very interesting.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »