Start by marking “The Temperament God Gave You: The Classic Key to Knowing Yourself, Getting Along with Others, and Growing Closer to the Lord” as Want to Read:

Unlock the secret of your personality and learn how to be a better spouse, parent, friend, and Christian. This book offers a Catholic understanding of the four ancient temperaments that will bring you closer to God and help you discover the path to holiness that's right for you. Learn how to identify and understand the four temperaments that determine our reactions, guide ...more
Published November 1st 2005 by Sophia Institute Press (first published June 15th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Temperament God Gave You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Temperament God Gave You

Regina Doman
Feb 17, 2009 Regina Doman rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any writer
Recommended to Regina by: John Barger
I recommend this book to any writer interested in learning how to build characters. It gives fascinating insights into how other people think.

As well as learning to understand yourself: I learned a lot!
James Andersen
I found this book to be helpful, prior to my coming back to the Catholic Faith I was trying really hard to know who I was, I tried the Enneagram and trans-personal psychological methods to figure out who I was, I went to assessment tests grounded in Jungian Psychology too, only to still feel like as if something was missing. It was only after finding out that the MTBI 16-Types can be reduced to the 4 Classical Temperaments that I really considered getting this book. When I opened this book, I ha ...more
Chelsea
Jan 07, 2009 Chelsea rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Chelsea by: my mom
SO AWESOME! I can't believe how much understanding there is of people's temperaments. This book is not about personality but about our natural reactions to stimuli. How cool! PLEASE READ THIS BOOK if you have ever been interested in getting to know yourself better. It also has great information about the best ways to treat and interact with people of other temperaments in all types of relationship situations. The Temperament God Gave you is really a diamond in the rough.
Colleen
Mar 04, 2008 Colleen rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books EVER. It really helped me learn about myself, as well as my friends, my enemies (it helped me understand them), my spouse and my children (very important to me.) My book club read this book and it was a VERY lively discussion, to say the least. If you wish to know yourself, read this book and C.S. Lewis's book, The Screwtape Letters. !!! CC
Mary
Aug 17, 2009 Mary rated it really liked it
The cover design doesn't make you want to read it, but if you are Christian and interested in why you are the way you are, definitely give it a read.
To someone who is intensely interested in the Myers-Briggs type indicator and the enneagram, as I am, this book is quite valuable. It's not about fitting people into slots or simply categorizing ourselves and others. For one thing, nobody fits entirely into any one category; we're all unique blends of factors and tendencies. For another, this kind
Crizzle
Jan 19, 2013 Crizzle rated it liked it
Spriggles and I mirror each other's personalities! I am a sanguine-phlegmatic, and he is a phlegmatic-sanguine (aka the best two types;). And everyone always wondered how we even got together, since we seem so different! We both just like friends and fun!

It was fun reading the synopses of the different types and seeing friends and family as these personality types. Molly is a choloric, of course. Different sections showed you how children behave as each of the four personalities, how to best mot
Veronica Kim
Dec 19, 2014 Veronica Kim rated it really liked it
If this book doesn't make you a better spouse, sister/brother, son/daughter, parent, friend, coworker, and follower of Christ, it'll at least make you much less confused about why people are the way they are. Gives great insight into the psychology and spirituality of each temperament, including how/why each thrives and dwindles. I tend to agonize over my flaws but this book made me more forgiving of them and at the same time doubly empowered to counter them (typical sanguine-phlegmatic). The bo ...more
Sharon Lee
Aug 11, 2013 Sharon Lee rated it it was amazing
Do you remember what is the result of that personality test you took? Well I don't, and I definitely don't remember the others if I can't even remember mine. But this book is not like a personality test and in fact, temperament is not personality. It is how fast one reacts and the depth at which one reacts. I'm primarily melancholic and this explains so much sense of why someone or I reacted the way they/I do. If you want to improve relationship dynamics (pushing the right buttons), then this bo ...more
Clare D' Lune
Aug 29, 2008 Clare D' Lune rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-books
AHHHH!!!! My mom and her book club read this book, and now I want to know (At least a year later) WILL WE EVER HEAR THE END TO IT?!?!?!?

haha Now EVERYONE has been put into a catigory. It's actually pretty funny and fun! Everyones picking what they think they are, and they also have a test thing in the back to do, if you aren't sure about your temperment....
Gwen
May 03, 2009 Gwen rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual, book-club
I don't have much farther to go on this one. Lots of great insights into behavior and motivations of family and friends. Our onetime book discussion group had a great time talking about this and even looking at our own temperaments.
Deborah
Dec 20, 2015 Deborah rated it it was amazing
An excellent explanation of the temperaments. I've read several books on the subject, and found this one really helped my understanding of my own temperament, and those of my family.
Jara
Jan 31, 2017 Jara rated it really liked it
I'm finished with The Temperament God Gave: Excellent descriptions of the 4 temperaments and how each relates to God, self, and others.

The only issue I have is that the authors dismiss the melancholic-sanguine and choleric-phlegmatic combinations as "impossible" in an "emotionally healthy individual" even after quoting that "Grace builds upon nature."

With God, all things are possible! I am melancholic-sanguine and, ironically, so is this book's editor.
Thomas Sheridan
Feb 18, 2017 Thomas Sheridan rated it really liked it
A quick and enlightening read offering solid guidance on how to grow in ways that are natural and unnatural to us. The authors have done an excellent job in helping us the readers to navigate life with God, Spouse, Children, Community, and self.
Kris Kassalen
Jan 02, 2017 Kris Kassalen rated it it was amazing
Great book to read and reread regarding how to best love your spouse unconditionally.
I re-read often as an encouragement and how to change myself so as to love better.
Megan Moir
Jan 07, 2017 Megan Moir rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book and all the insights it gives into how to communicate with different personality types! Truly a great book.
Erik
Nov 26, 2008 Erik rated it really liked it
Shelves: catholic
Yes, four temperaments is a bit of a gross classification, but just like birth order, these classifications can help one to understand and empathize with others. This book carefully delineated the characteristics of the four temperaments, making it more practical that other books that talk about profiles in vague terms. There were many "ah-ha" moments for me while reading this book when I recognized myself or Wendy in the descriptions. These moments were confirmed when the evaluation questionnai ...more
Mari
Dec 07, 2011 Mari rated it really liked it
Title and cover are silly. Also, I think there are lots of ways to slice temperament differences between people, so I'm not a subscriber to the idea that there are four temperaments. However, this book had an immediate positive impact on my relationships with other people because it emphasized that people's temperaments can be not only different, but VERY different form mine, and gave many examples of how people in my life may be experiencing the world. The chapters are simple and well-organized ...more
Sharon Bohlen
Jul 28, 2013 Sharon Bohlen rated it it was amazing
This book explains the 4 temperaments developed by Hippocrates before the time of Christ. The reader can take a survey to identify his/her temperament type, learn the typical gifts and challenges associated with these temperaments, and develop a better spiritual relationship with God and relationships with others within the framework of what is most comfortable for your type. What I loved about this book is that it is NOT a "right/wrong" temperament, but rather, those tendencies we can relate to ...more
Tienne
Jul 10, 2016 Tienne rated it it was amazing
This book made such a difference in my life and my marriage! It was a joy to finally discover that my "flaws" were really just personality traits that could be channeled to good purpose. I had spent so much of my life being criticized for my sensitivity, strong emotional reactions, and deep concern for other's feelings and happiness, only to discover that my melancholic/sanguine temperament can actually be an asset in connecting with other people and helping them. This book also taught me to vie ...more
Sian
Oct 02, 2015 Sian rated it really liked it
Shelves: personal-library
This was my introduction to the 4 temperaments. I thought it was really good, even if your not approaching it from a religious standpoint. I wonder that these 4 temperaments, that we are roughly each born with in the genetic roulette that is our conception, somehow compliment or make know in human creation each of gods 4 primary attributes, Love, Justice, Wisdom and Power. Anyone have any personal thoughts on that?
Dorothy
Dec 11, 2011 Dorothy rated it liked it
I read this book for my parenting class. It was definitely interesting although I struggled for awhile to find my temperament. I am pretty sure of both my primary and secondary temperaments and I think I've pegged both Todd and James. I'm still working on Cate. There are a lot of good insights in the book and I think it will be a good resource going forward. Beth, I think you would really like this book, both from a psychological as well as religious aspect.
Upstatemamma
Apr 18, 2010 Upstatemamma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010-books
This book was very interesting. It really taught me a lot about myself. In some ways it hit me harder because of some personal things that made me really look at my life. But even without that it is very insightful and talks about lots of relationships and how they are affected by temperament. I really think this book is a good read. And while it is a Catholic book and comes at things from that perspective I think it would be relevant to anyone.
Liz
Interesting read in self discovery of temperaments. This book is definitely worth a reread along with another round of taking the temperament test. I especially enjoyed the chapter on handling different temperaments with regard to marriage and family relationships. It offered a great deal to think about.
Tom
Apr 28, 2016 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and insightful book about the temperaments that exist in all people. I enjoyed learning the strengths and weaknesses of my dominant temperament, which could help in the future. As the title states, it is a religiously oriented book, but the psychological insights within it should be valuable to anyone.
Natalie
Aug 08, 2012 Natalie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, 2013
Loved this book. It was uncanny reading the descriptions of my temperament. Great to help understand other people and why they act in certain ways (as well as myself). Should be required reading for every couple. This book is helping me to understand my husband better - I wish I'd read it 16 years ago!
Kylie
Dec 07, 2014 Kylie rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. Honestly life-changing. I learnt so much about myself and others in this book. I feel like it taught me empathy as well as how to better the faults I've long identified in myself.

No person should go through life without reading this book! Even if you're not religious, you will LOVE it.
Eileen W
May 22, 2015 Eileen W rated it really liked it
A small group of us read this after Walking With Purpose ended. It was very interesting. You find yourself analyzing the personality type of yourself and those close to you. Not sure I'll remember all the ways to relate and motivate the different personality combinations, but I'll save it to reference.
Joyce
Oct 13, 2014 Joyce rated it really liked it
Very readable guide to the four temperaments in a Christian context. I appreciate the different parts about knowing oneself, knowing one's spouse, knowing one's children, and motivating each of the temperaments.

The Bennetts are very thorough, but also kind of repetitive.
Emily Wertlieb
Jan 31, 2016 Emily Wertlieb rated it it was amazing
Really interesting book, enjoyed reading it throughly. Ultimately I think I determined my temperament through reading better than the test in the back (I'm a sanguine-phlegmatic)- but I still think my highlights are going to be a helpful guide in building a fulfilling and spiritual life
Lucy
Mar 26, 2009 Lucy added it
A wonderful book to understand those around you as well as yourself; Explains why different people react differently in the same situations. As well as much,much more you cannot put it down once you start!!!
So, What temperament did God give you?? 1 2 Feb 26, 2015 04:06PM
  • Deep Conversion/Deep Prayer
  • The Catholic Guide to Depression: How the Saints, the Sacraments, and Psychiatry Can Help You Break Its Grip and Find Happiness Again
  • Men, Women and the Mystery of Love: Practical Insights from John Paul II's Love and Responsibility
  • Heaven's Song
  • The Hidden Power of Kindness: A Practical Handbook for Souls Who Dare to Transform the World, One Deed at a Time
  • Consoling the Heart of Jesus: A Do-It-Yourself Retreat- Inspired by the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius
  • The Catholic Girl's Survival Guide for the Single Years: The Nuts and Bolts of Staying Sane and Happy While Waiting for Mr. Right
  • Harvard Business Review on Effective Communication
  • I Believe in Love: A Personal Retreat Based on the Teaching of St. Therese of Lisieux
  • Unbound: A Practical Guide to Deliverance from Evil Spirits
  • Three to Get Married
  • Bible Basics for Catholics: A New Picture of Salvation History
  • A Father Who Keeps His Promises: God's Covenant Love in Scripture
  • I Can See You Naked
  • Humanae Vitae: Of Human Life
  • Love and Salt: A Spiritual Friendship Shared in Letters
  • Interior Freedom
  • Style, Sex, & Substance: 10 Catholic Women Consider the Things That Really Matter

“Grace, combined with insight and choice, is the means of change."32” 0 likes