The Specialist

The Specialist (Tasmanian Thrillers #1)

2.55 of 5 stars 2.55  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The specialist is a serial killer with very specific, unique tastes. Kirsten is a jewelry designer whose hobby is caving, and she carries a lot of emotional baggage, above-ground or in the bowels of the earth. Her sister Emma goes missing en route to visit Kirsten. When Emma's ring mysteriously turns up in a newly discovered cave on Vancouver Island, Kirsten has to solve t...more
Published December 1st 2004 by Five Star (ME)

To ask other readers questions about The Specialist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Specialist

Greg
Well, The Specialist is officially on the bottom of my list of book rankings, right next to Glorious Failure, which I see I haven't rated, since I read that before Goodreads existed, and I completely forgot about it until reading The Specialist. This isn't quite as bad as GF, likely because Aalborg already has some sway as an author and the spelling and editing are decent. Everything else, as they say, is weak sauce.

But I'm probably not being all that fair. I was bored at the library and decided...more
Pearl
This is a really hard book to review. But not exactly in a bad way.

I did really really enjoy it. I love a good crime-thriller when it is written well. I just don't really know what to say about it. As much as I enjoyed it, it hasn't made much of a lasting impression on me. I found parts of the book unnecessary, like the in depth descriptions of caving and wilderness skills. But i felt that some more important things were left out. I felt in particular the two main characters, Kirsten and Kendall...more
Rebecca
Amanda
Nov 19, 2007 Amanda rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Insomniacs/mystery fans
Shelves: mystery
Every once in awhile I don't know what I want to read, and I figure that there's so many books out there that I'm bound to miss out on a few good ones. So I'll be totally nerdy and just start in the As and work my way through until I get bored with that method.

This time around started me out with this book. I'm not usually a mystery fan, so I wasn't sure about it, but again, there's that whole serendipity thing that sometimes happens when you least expect it to.

The setting of this book switche...more
Melissa
A very enjoyable read

I love a good thriller, and I really liked this one. it had me hooked from the beginning. I also really liked reading about the caves and caving.
Pam
07/13/08
TITLE/AUTHOR: THE SPECIALIST by Gordon Aalborg
RATING: 3.5/C+
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PGS: Mystery/2004/273 pgs
SERIES/STAND ALONE: Stand Alone
TIME/PLACE: Present/ Tasmania & Vancouver
CHARACTERS: Kirsten/ jewelry designer & avid caver
FIRST LINES: The bicycle was the penultimate temptation.

COMMENTS: Library book. A serial killer is targeting female bicyclists in both Tasmania and Vancouver. The caving descriptions and setting of mostly Vancouver, some smaller parts of Tasmania -- were...more
Anastasia
Very interesting mystery, especially with the multiple points of view. Kept me guessing as to the identity of the specialist for a long time. Loved the abrupt ending!
Chips
it was okay
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Elihu
Elihu added it
Sep 11, 2013
Carol Breaux
Carol Breaux marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2013
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2013
Ramune Kumpiene
Ramune Kumpiene marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2012
Dawn cline
Dawn cline marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2012
nine
nine added it
Jul 06, 2012
Christopher York
Christopher York marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Gordon Aalborg was born on February 5, 1942 in Alberta, Canada. He began his writing career as a reporter, columnist and bureau chief at The Edmonton Journal in his native Alberta. He wandered off to Australia in the '70s as a freelance journalist and radio/tv broadcaster.

The best-selling romance author, Victoria Gordon born in response to the publisher's claim that "no man" could write Harlequin...more
More about Gordon Aalborg...
Dining with Devils Cat Tracks CAT TRACKS (An epic of Feline Survival)