Start by marking “The Specialist” as Want to Read:
The Specialist

The Specialist (Tasmanian Thrillers #1)

2.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  35 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
The specialist is a serial killer with very specific, unique tastes. Kirsten is a jewelry designer whose hobby is caving, and she carries a lot of emotional baggage, above-ground or in the bowels of the earth. Her sister Emma goes missing en route to visit Kirsten. When Emma's ring mysteriously turns up in a newly discovered cave on Vancouver Island, Kirsten has to solve t ...more
Published December 1st 2004 by Five Star (ME)

To ask other readers questions about The Specialist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Specialist

Greg
Aug 18, 2014 Greg rated it did not like it
Well, The Specialist is officially on the bottom of my list of book rankings, right next to Glorious Failure, which I see I haven't rated, since I read that before Goodreads existed, and I completely forgot about it until reading The Specialist. This isn't quite as bad as GF, likely because Aalborg already has some sway as an author and the spelling and editing are decent. Everything else, as they say, is weak sauce.

But I'm probably not being all that fair. I was bored at the library and decided
Rebecca
Aug 07, 2010 Rebecca rated it it was ok
Shelves: 100-pages
Amanda
Nov 19, 2007 Amanda rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Insomniacs/mystery fans
Shelves: mystery
Every once in awhile I don't know what I want to read, and I figure that there's so many books out there that I'm bound to miss out on a few good ones. So I'll be totally nerdy and just start in the As and work my way through until I get bored with that method.

This time around started me out with this book. I'm not usually a mystery fan, so I wasn't sure about it, but again, there's that whole serendipity thing that sometimes happens when you least expect it to.

The setting of this book switche
Pam
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PGS: Mystery/2004/273 pgs
SERIES/STAND ALONE: Stand Alone
TIME/PLACE: Present/ Tasmania & Vancouver
CHARACTERS: Kirsten/ jewelry designer & avid caver
FIRST LINES: The bicycle was the penultimate temptation.

COMMENTS: Library book. A serial killer is targeting female bicyclists in both Tasmania and Vancouver. The caving descriptions and setting of mostly Vancouver, some smaller parts of Tasmania -- were
Pearl
This is a really hard book to review. But not exactly in a bad way.

I did really really enjoy it. I love a good crime-thriller when it is written well. I just don't really know what to say about it. As much as I enjoyed it, it hasn't made much of a lasting impression on me. I found parts of the book unnecessary, like the in depth descriptions of caving and wilderness skills. But i felt that some more important things were left out. I felt in particular the two main characters, Kirsten and Kendall
Melissa
A very enjoyable read

I love a good thriller, and I really liked this one. it had me hooked from the beginning. I also really liked reading about the caves and caving.
Anastasia
May 19, 2012 Anastasia rated it really liked it
Very interesting mystery, especially with the multiple points of view. Kept me guessing as to the identity of the specialist for a long time. Loved the abrupt ending!
Chips
Apr 25, 2010 Chips rated it liked it
it was okay
Peach
Peach rated it it was ok
Jul 06, 2016
Mary
Mary is currently reading it
Jun 24, 2016
Joe Young
Joe Young marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Angelique
Angelique rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Nancy
Nancy rated it liked it
May 24, 2016
Barbara M
Barbara M marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Catherine  Mustread
Catherine Mustread marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Giuliana
Giuliana is currently reading it
Aug 24, 2015
Karen
Karen rated it it was ok
Aug 20, 2015
T
T rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2015
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was ok
May 15, 2015
Donna Jacoby
Donna Jacoby rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2016
Adrienne
Adrienne rated it it was ok
Apr 27, 2015
Lani
Lani rated it did not like it
Mar 22, 2015
Brenda
Brenda added it
Jul 06, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Rebecca Hicks
Rebecca Hicks rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2015
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Lisa Mcdonald
Lisa Mcdonald rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2014
Katt Clark
Katt Clark rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2014
Gordon Aalborg was born on February 5, 1942 in Alberta, Canada. He began his writing career as a reporter, columnist and bureau chief at The Edmonton Journal in his native Alberta. He wandered off to Australia in the '70s as a freelance journalist and radio/tv broadcaster.

The best-selling romance author, Victoria Gordon born in response to the publisher's claim that "no man" could write Harlequin
More about Gordon Aalborg...

Tasmanian Thrillers (2 books)
  • Dining with Devils