On a Hoof and a Prayer: Exploring Argentina at a Gallop

On a Hoof and a Prayer: Exploring Argentina at a Gallop

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The stampeding true story of one woman’s journey from timorous equestrian novice to wildly whooping cowgirl—a madcap ride through Argentina that will fascinate horse lovers, travelers, and armchair adventurers alike.

As a girl, Polly Evans dreamed about learning to ride—and in her mid-thirties the obsession returned. Determined to finally bite the bullet and saddle up, she...more
Published April 29th 2008 by Delta (first published March 1st 2007)

Holly Booms Walsh
Interesting subject, and some of the anecdotes were interesting, but it was mostly lackluster and I kept skimming.
Barbara
Feb 08, 2009 Barbara rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: travelers, horse-lovers, anyone interested in Argentina
Recommended to Barbara by: my brother
Polly's always fun! And while I did stall out about half-way through, it wasn't her fault. I got distracted.

Ms. Evans always works some personal challenge into her travel. This time it's learning to ride horses and then doing all sorts of riding while exploring Argentina. It's colorful, descriptive, entertaining and touched with humor along the way. I enjoyed the journey; she's so good at weaving in bits of history, what others have observed, then topping it off with some wry or comical observa...more
Phair
This is my third time following Polly's adventures. I liked the first half quite well. This time the weaving in of historical background did not seem as jarring and pedantic as in previous books- perhaps because I am less familiar with South American history. By 3/4 of the way I was getting tired of the journey which started to feel rushed and forced. I had really hoped for a bit more of a horseback adventure but Argentina is a big country so I guess she did have to get on other modes of transp...more
John
Jul 03, 2008 John rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: horse people and travel lit fans
Shelves: travel, library_books
I've read an awful lot of travel narrative/lit/essay since finishing Evans' previous installment, so had forgotten that she's more laid back than many other writers in this genre, not a bad thing, but different. At first, not being a "horse person", I'd feared that I wouldn't be able to get into the book, but those episodes are well integrated; author does a great job of covering Argentina's regions - from Iaguazu Falls in the far north to Ushuaia in the polar south. Definitely recommended.
Grace
Jan 26, 2014 Grace rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own, horse
I had to read a travel narrative for my Social Studies class so I choose this one. This book started out really strong, but eventually it just got repeated. She goes to a town to ride horses, almost every town is out of horses, she rides the horse, she leaves. I did not like the writing style, how it swapped between history and her POV it made it very confusing to read.
Darlene
This is not a detailed guide but a light romp around Argentina. I particularly liked the thumbnail bios of Che Guevara and Evita Peron, and the quick sketches of voyagers's attempts to tame both Nature and Natives. Evans shares her communion with the variety of landscapes and weather in this long stretch of land east of the Andes.
Bronwen
I was recommended this read by a local library. I've never been to Argentina but would love to go now and do some riding while I'm there. Easy read, it only took me a day and a half to read and gives you insights into areas of Argentina too. Very recommended, especially if you are a 'horsey-type'!!
Audrey
An adventurous British woman travels to Argentina to learn how to ride horses while exploring the many beautiful regions of the country. The book was a great read while traveling. It contains detailed descriptions of Argentina and made me want to go back to see places I missed (which would be most of it).
Nora
Sep 15, 2008 Nora rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: adult
I wanted a Bill Bryson funny travel book (it was promised on the back cover.) Instead I got heavy, detailed history of every single area of Argentina. Let me summarize: "In Argentina there have been a lot of wars."
Lizz
This was my least favorite of her books. I've been to Argentina 3 times and some of the areas she visited. I don't think she really captured the feel of this country.
Keith Bennett
Original adventure in Argentina this is not. One lady's holiday at a series of organised riding centres. Disappointing.
Michael Seeds
An insightful visit to the huge country of Argentina. Polly Evans is a pleasure to read.
Jackie
A timely and enjoyable read. We leave for Patagonia the end of this week.
Obisbooks
Fun travel stories of her time in Argentina.
Diane Viall
A fun travelogue through Argentina.
Bethany Dickey
Bethany Dickey marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Chilechick84
Chilechick84 marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Kari
Kari added it
Mar 07, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2013
Brianne
Brianne marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2013
Mbrown
Mbrown marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2013
Wanda
Wanda marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
It's Not about the Tapas: A Spanish Adventure on Two Wheels Fried Eggs with Chopsticks: One Woman's Hilarious Adventure into a Country and a Culture Not Her Own Kiwis Might Fly Mad Dogs And An Englishwoman Northern Lights: A Practical Travel Guide. by Polly Evans