Start by marking “If Disney Ran Your Hospital: 9 1/2 Things You Would Do Differently” as Want to Read:
If Disney Ran Your Hospital: 9 1/2 Things You Would Do Differently

If Disney Ran Your Hospital: 9 1/2 Things You Would Do Differently

The 9 1/2 principles in this highly personal and refreshingly written book will help any hospital team gain the extraordinary competitive advantage that comes from being seen as "the best" by their own employees, consumers, and community. It takes profound knowledge, not usually taught in business schools, to create and maintain an environment where people feel they are wo ...more
Published May 30th 2004 by Second River Healthcare Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about If Disney Ran Your Hospital, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If Disney Ran Your Hospital

Feather Dust
Mar 26, 2016 Feather Dust rated it really liked it
Although this was required reading for my workplace, I thoroughly enjoyed it! It had many good points and wisdom in every chapter. I came into it thinking, oh man...this is going to be some dopy author sharing life experiences at a hospital and Disney. But by the end, I feel like I came out a better person, had a new outlook on treating people, positive thoughts on controlling my moods in bad times, and improving my relationship and love with others including those I do not even know. But most i ...more
Victoria Poon
Sep 16, 2015 Victoria Poon rated it really liked it
Excellent read. Easy to understand and makes very good points about customer service. He anticipates how a health care worker will reject customer service issues because of the nature of the work, and addresses these issues in an elegant manner. Very helpful suggestions and ways of changing thinking in order to create the experience for patients and deliver great healthcare.
Amanda
Feb 28, 2016 Amanda added it
Notes:

"There is a profound difference between selling and marketing. Selling is trying to get people to want what you have. Marketing is trying to have what people want. When you have what people want, it makes selling unnecessary."

1. Redefine your competition and focus on what can't be measured

"Changing *how* we say No might ge
Paula
Sep 14, 2014 Paula rated it really liked it
Shelves: paperback
I shared this with several people at my health system as we have incorporated some of the Studer principles which are along the same lines as the stuff presented by Mr. Lee. I disagree with his views on pay for performance but do think that it is only valid when it can be done appropriately so that people are rewarded for their efforts and success and not penalized for areas over which they have no control.
Bottom line there is some really good messages within this book that would benefit health
Rum P. H. Shaker
Feb 25, 2015 Rum P. H. Shaker rated it it was ok
I've had this book since I was an intern back in undergrad and I reread it from time to time as I experience different career milestones, just to see if my position on it changes. I still find this book whimsical similar to that of a Disney film.

I've always liked the diagrams in the book, especially the Figure 1.3 regarding Improving Outcomes and Perceptions.

Unfortunately I find the principles in this book very difficult to administer, especially when middle and upper management are not on boa
Greg
Jan 15, 2014 Greg rated it liked it
I'm giving this book a 3, because so much of it was valuable. But for me, chapter 9 was a black stain on the book, discoloring even previously reasonable assertions and putting me ideologically at odds with the author.

Basically, the book is about how to improve customer service at your hospital, and the fundamental point made seems valid. That is that culture is determined by structure, and all of our pretty mission statements might as well be just posters on the wall.

It's all well and good. The
Michael Gaudet
Sep 08, 2014 Michael Gaudet rated it really liked it
Shelves: loaned-to-me
I borrowed this book from someone at work. I cringle every time I read buzzwords like "paradigm", but I guess that comes with the book genre.

Overall, I though this book had some great points and was a quick easy read. I can see from experience the failures Lee points out in the failed policies that came and went at work. Most of all though this book really did inspire me to provide better service to customers and foster a team spirit at work. Right now I'm at a point in my career where I'm cons
Sean Gilmore
Apr 29, 2015 Sean Gilmore rated it really liked it
As someone who grew up 20 minutes from Disneyland (I have literally been over 100 times, if not hundreds) in a family led by my father, a healthcare executive, I didn’t need to read more than the title of this book to become interested. Now that I am currently pursuing a degree to enter the same field, it seemed like fate to have it assigned as reading. I would say the overall theme of the book is that the way things have traditionally been done in healthcare isn’t going to suffice if an organiz ...more
Don Woodman
Aug 14, 2011 Don Woodman rated it really liked it
This book describes how medical managers can invoke Disney rules to help improve patient satisfaction. One huge lesson from this book is that patient perception matters as much if not more than reality of care quality. For example, if nurses work hard to improve the care with which they ensure a patients privacy, shutting doors and drawing curtains around beds for instance it makes little impact on patient's perceptions. If the nurses subsequently make sure that they ALSO verbalize that they are ...more
Cordell
Jul 22, 2008 Cordell rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: managers
The first two chapters have been interesting reading. Better than I though they would be. I look forward to finishing this.

Easy read and finally a management book with some insight. It was interesting to see a lot of traditional thinking set aside for example: This book looks at satisfaction surveys and helps you to see through them. Disney for example on a 1 to 5 star system only tells their employees how many surveys gave them 5s. Why, two reasons, first because if 3 or 4 stars was good enough
Summer Saiza
Aug 26, 2014 Summer Saiza rated it really liked it
Great insight on how important the perception of the patient is and how we can each make a difference in the overall experience of those we care for in the healthcare industry. An easy read I would recommend.
Jessica Vets
Mar 22, 2015 Jessica Vets rated it really liked it
I have read this book multiple times and still find it motivating and always find something new to try or just to reinvigorate my views.
Lindsy
Aug 24, 2016 Lindsy rated it liked it
Some valuable insight and a quick read.
Nicky Hekster
Entertaining about service oriented hospitals.
April doremus
Apr 17, 2016 April doremus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Jumping into the Healthcare industry with no experience this gave me a great feel for how patient satisfaction should be assessed!
Patty Satjapot
Apr 06, 2011 Patty Satjapot rated it really liked it
Recommended to Patty by: Mike Morgenstern
Chris
Sep 17, 2008 Chris rated it liked it
This book was good, but it really wasn't jaw dropping earth shattering great. I enjoyed it and the things Lee discusses will help me, but it wasn't too new. I heard Lee speak at a NAHAM conference in Dallas earlier this year, and thought that he was a really dynamic speaker. But everything I got from him at the conference was repeated in the book and I was able to get in one hour.
Andy
Sep 17, 2007 Andy rated it liked it
This was required reading for work, that I initially skimmed through and then gave it a more in-depth reading. It doesn't matter if you work in a hospital or not, this book is full of ideas on how to make the most of what you do and how to make lasting impressions on everyone you come into contact with on a regular basis.
Hermione
Jul 05, 2007 Hermione is currently reading it
Recommends it for: Anyone working in the healthcare field
As an administrator in a health system currently trying to differentiate our services by focusing on the creation personalized patient experiences, I find this book especially relevant. It's examples are completely relatable - not some Disney magic and fairy dust. This should be required reading for all health care managers.
Lisa
Oct 19, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it
An engaging, easily readable book that explores the lessons health care facilities and provider can learn from one of the greatest service organizations in the world - Disney. I picked up lots of "pearls" about how to treat people well, no matter what field you are in or what service you are delivering.
Chris Hyer
May 06, 2008 Chris Hyer rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kent Oram
Recommended to Chris by: Kent Oram
This is a fast, easy, thought provoking read. A must read for anyone coaching an organization to give excellent service. Even though it was written for hospitals, you could go through the book and change out the word hospital and insert any industry you want which deals with employees and with customers.
Martijn Van Duivenboden
When you talk about experience, don't write a book with the same experience as every other managementbook
Heidi
Jul 28, 2016 Heidi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm about to enter a Master's program for Nursing Administration and Leadership and found this book very helpful and full of great ideas. I think it should be required reading. We need to re-think the way we treat patients AND hospital staff.
Steven Yull
Feb 03, 2016 Steven Yull rated it it was amazing
I have never read a change management book that I have so heartily agreed with before. It presents its arguments in an easily accessible way, drawing upon demonstrative stories and anecdotes that illuminate and inspire.
Nancy
May 17, 2011 Nancy rated it liked it
It was little wordy and long winded in places, but he certainly has hit the nail on the head with a lot of his insights and ideas. Everyone would like to work for a company that has the Disney ideals.
Becky
Aug 04, 2008 Becky rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone in the healthcare industry
Recommended to Becky by: my husband
I really liked this author's approach to hospitals and care giving as providing an experience more than providing a service. A good read for anyone in the healthcare industry.
Regina
Jan 07, 2010 Regina rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book! Great for those in the health care field. Wonderful insight into what customer service should look like in health care and what it actually is in many places.
Mark Kricheff
Aug 02, 2010 Mark Kricheff rated it liked it
a customer service approach to running a hospital. The best thing in it was the advice to use a hierarchy of priorities instead of pillars (like so many hospitals do!)
Andrea
Jan 07, 2016 Andrea rated it liked it
Not a very exciting book, but an interesting take on the differences in customer service between hospitals and Disney.
Farrell
I wish I could have finished it, I liked the beginning
  • Hardwiring Excellence: Purpose, Worthwhile Work, Making a Difference
  • Practically Radical: Not-So-Crazy Ways to Transform Your Company, Shake Up Your Industry, and Challenge Yourself
  • Patients Come Second: Leading Change by Changing the Way You Lead
  • Why Hospitals Should Fly: The Ultimate Flight Plan to Patient Safety and Quality Care
  • Managing in a Time of Great Change
  • Strategic Planning for Public and Nonprofit Organizations: A Guide to Strengthening and Sustaining Organizational Achievement
  • When the Mind Hears: A History of the Deaf
  • What Works: Gender Equality by Design
  • Is There Life After Housework?: A Revolutionary Approach to Cutting Your Cleaning Time by 75%
  • The Five Lessons a Millionaire Taught Me for Women
  • Monday Morning Leadership: 8 Mentoring Sessions You Can't Afford to Miss
  • Humble Inquiry: The Gentle Art of Asking Instead of Telling
  • The Innovator's Prescription: A Disruptive Solution for Health Care
  • Be Our Guest: Perfecting the art of customer service
  • The Dance of Change: The challenges to sustaining momentum in a learning organization
  • On the Mend
  • Management Lessons from Mayo Clinic: Inside One of the World's Most Admired Service Organizations
  • Humans Are Underrated: Proving Your Value in the Age of Brilliant Technology

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

“Knowing is a vital part of learning and sharing a vision of what we want to create together. But “how” questions are on the doing side of the model. As in playing tennis, we learn how by doing. There is no other way. We can read books on tennis techniques and strategies. We can get a good tennis player to show us how he or she does it. We can watch players on TV for hours and analyze every stroke. But only by doing will we ever be able to learn how to do it. We may make mistakes but mistakes actually teach us more than our successes.” 0 likes