Start by marking “La novia rebelde (Novias, #1)” as Want to Read:
La novia rebelde (Novias, #1)

La novia rebelde (Lairds' Fiancées #1)

4.27  ·  Rating Details ·  39,599 Ratings  ·  1,417 Reviews
Por mandato del rey, el poderoso escocés Alec Kinkaid debe casarse con una joven inglesa. La elegida era Jamie, hija menor del barón Jamison, una belleza de ojos color violeta. Alec ansiaba acariciarla, domarla, poseerla... para siempre. Pero Jamie había jurado que jamás se rendiría a ese bárbaro de las Tierras Altas.

Él era todo aquello contra lo cual el corazón de Jamie e
Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Published April 2006 by Cisne (first published July 1989)

Val ⚓️ Shameless,  Bitchy & Skanky ⚓️ Mrs. ClayDanvers/RemingtonTate/HawkeSnow
This is one of my ALL-TIME TOP FAVORITE historical romance books.

I actually have the pink flowered paperback version - which was released in 1989 - and I think I first read it when I was 12 years old...in 1995.

description

Let's just say that my Dad had NO idea what he was buying me lol.

description

There, there, Pops. There, there...

I had had to get my sexual educational from somewhere, right?

LOLZ.

Anyway, I am mentioning this now because I just snagged the kindle version of this bad boy (and it's sequel (The Wedding
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
I'm not feeling very literate today, so I am going to compose this review around a list of reasons why I loved this book.

Reasons Why I Loved The Bride by Julie Garwood

1. Jamie is a great heroine. Okay, she might have some Mary Sue-ness going on, although I hate using that term. She is really gorgeous, very nice, oh-so sweet, great at pretty much everything, giving, and self-sacrificing. However, she's totally loveable. For me, that's the opposite of a Mary Sue, because Mary Sues are characters
Kristen
Huge 5+ Stars

I loved this book. It's one of those feel good stories that leaves you smiling for days. If I was to sum-up this book with one word, "delightful" comes to mind.I honestly can't think of a better word to describe the experience I had while reading it.

Jamie has become one of my all time favorite heroines. Julie Garwood has a way of writing heroines that are strong willed without becoming annoying (hard to do in my opinion.) Jamie'sone of the most endearing character I've read. She's i
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)

15%! ... And here we goes for the fastest DNF of 2016! (what do you mean I'm not supposed to celebrate)

Before buying an historical book, go check the period of time of the story, would you? Truth is, I started hyperventilating when I saw that little England, 1102 written at the top of chapter one.

Why, you ask?

Because there's no hiding behind the fact that these times weren't women rights friendly and that I, for one, don't enjoy reading about girls being sold to some OMG-a-bulky-highlander! j
Ronyell
Now as you have noticed, I have been reading many historical romance novels lately and some of my favorite types of historical romance novels have to deal with Highlanders since the men in those novels are ultra sexy! Well, Julie Garwood’s “The Bride,” is definitely no exception and it was the first book that I have read from romance author Julie Garwood. “The Bride” is surely one hot romantic story that will set your romantic senses afire!

By order of King Henry and King Edgar, the strong and mi
Julie James
May 15, 2012 Julie James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd rate this 3.75 stars (or whatever a B minus rating would convert to).

I wanted to love this book because it's a favorite for so many readers, but couldn't quite get there. There were several parts that made me smile, like when the heroine wears black to her wedding, and when she dumps water on the soldiers who are making fun of English women. And the ending was great, with the jewels. (I won't say more for spoiler purposes.)

My main problem connecting with the book lies with the heroine, who
Mo
Jul 03, 2013 Mo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I MUST SAY SAY THAT I LOVED THIS BOOK….. will get back to proper reviewing soon! AFTER MY ROAD TRIP TO IRELAND ....xxI

NiCoLeTa E.
What a charming story was that!!!

Really, guys!!! That book caught me by surprise...
I'm used to read renegence historical romance and this medieval was my first, but i enjoyed it very much.
I won't lie to you. In the beginning, i was a little bit lost, but then the storyline captivated me...
No, no, no... I don't think that it was the story only...
I really loved this couple and especially Jamie...
She made me laughing all the time with her actions...
And she manage to make the cruel, wild warrior
Karen
Sep 12, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Listened to the audiobook. The narrator was excellent with her accents, but I found her to be just a tad bit too dramatic. It took a little while to get used to her.
Duchess Nicole
"Did you get a good look at her, then?" he added in a rush.
Alec nodded.
"You'll be taking her with you, won't you?" The Kincaid stared at the old man a long minute before answering.
"Aye, Beak. I'll be taking her with me."

An absolute must read for any Garwood fans! Quite simply a treasure of a historical romance. If you can get ahold of the audio, this is one of the better narrators I've heard as well. If not, the story stands on it's own, a masterpiece set in the Scottish Highlands.

This is the
Ingela
4,5 sparkling Stars - for a fun and really entertaining sweet historical romance

This romance is both sweet, romantic, a little silly and very funny. It's predictable but so very charming and well done that I stuck completely in the cute trap. A story that made me smile and feel so good - a perfect "feelgood" to read for all lovesick romantics.
“Aye, Beak. I'll be taking her with me." The choice had been made.”
~ ~ ~ ~
Jayne
Jul 10, 2012 Jayne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
(from my book blog)

Some of you may remember that I had an ambitious (for me) TBR list that included two SRS books, and The Hunger Games. It will surprise none of you that I made it through The Hunger Games before I decided that was enough heavy shit and people dying. I decided it was time for some lighter fare, or at least a book that didn’t prominently involve death. Enter The Bride by Julie Garwood and its 172 5-star reviews on Amazon. Because apparently the fanatically positive reviews for Sh
Mili
Aug 02, 2013 Mili rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say I was disappointed by this book. I love Julie Garwood and she is a wonderful author but this just didn't pass muster. The story it self was just fine, it's the characters that bugged me to no end. The way the characters were written was very confusing because at the beginning you are miss lead that the heroine is a strong and independent woman who is capable and smart, yet a few chapters later and a few conversations with her and all those descriptions are tossed out the window and ...more
Susanne
Outstanding and amazing! Where is the sixth star?

I waited forever for this book but it was well worth the wait - it was utterly amazing. I laughed so much. I am so glad that JG didn't listen to the expert who told her to downplay the humor and gave in to the urge. It was hilarious! But the humor didn't take away the divine romance between Alec and Jamie.

The trouble with too good books is that there is no words to do it justice. I loved everything about this book! Alec was an amazing über hot her
Lisa Kay
Photobucket
What can I say about this story other than a classic Julie Garwood book still delivers? I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve read this one; thought I’d try the audiobook this time. The narration, by Rosalyn Landor, brings this book to life. I’ll be seeking out more of her audiobooks.
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Jul 03, 2016 ᴥ Irena ᴥ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Well, this was fun. I am glad I started reading historical romances only a couple of years back. Now I have tons of books to catch up on when I am in the mood for a historical romance.
So, what's to like in this book? Well, both characters are great. Alec has that caveman personality and since people today consider 'it's *insert current year*' enough to justify their opinions I don't see why the same thing couldn't be applied to this book. It takes place in 1100s Scotland. The Middle Ages. In an
Jamie
LOVE LOVE LOVED!!!!!

Joana

I need to say first, that I freakin LOVE this book!!!!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Now, let's crack up the review, shall we?

" You've just described the Highlands in winter,lass. And you will marry me."
"Never."
Exactly one hour later, Lady Jamison was wed to Alec Kincaid.

By orders of his king, Alec Kincaid must take an english bride. So alongside with Daniel, he goes to pick one of baron's Jamison daughters.
And well, after getting some a
Elfina Renee
Jan 17, 2016 Elfina Renee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Sometimes you need to read something different. A book taking place in a far away way land, where the people are ruled by kings, lusty lords and lairds following his proclamations. Futures are given within a blink of an eye and titles are fought and died for. Julie Garwood does an amazing job capturing the sights and sounds of Scotland and allowing us readers to bring home a taste with us. Its almost as if you were really there. You can practically hear the bagpipes, Side Drums, Whistles & F ...more
Songbyrd *aka SB aka Byrd*
This is an old read that I never did a review on.

This is the story of Alec Kincaid a widower highlander order to marry a English woman by his king. He picks Jamie who is a English girl that is used to handling all the decisions in her family and doesn't know that her father as put her in the position to marry Alec. They marry but bump heads even as they fall in love.

This was a good book even though I had moments with Jamie where she really got on my nerves. I thought she had moments that her th
~Nichole~  Sizzling Pages Romance Reviews
When I close a book after the final words and sit and feel like I just took a journey and I simply find myself in a state of wonder.. I know that was an epic read. Reading addicts like myself are always after that next great read. The one that simply takes us over so that when real life interrupts the pleasure we simply can't stop thinking about the story or when we'll get to go back to it. I for one will find myself slowly finishing it after devouring the first 80 % I start reading at a snails ...more
KatLynne
Re-read again and still loving this fun, medieval romance and all those sexy Highlanders:)!
Lelyana
Mar 28, 2012 Lelyana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
THE BRIDE
BY JULIE GARWOOD

Once upon a time di negri yang jauh sekali di tahun 1102 di Skotlandia dan Inggris, kisah ini di mulai....In my opinion, this is a really sweet love story..let’s begin.
Alec Kincaid di gosipkan membunuh istri pertama nya dua tahun yll, dalam kondisi seperti itu dia di minta mengambil pengantin baru dari orang Inggris, atas permintaan Raja nya.
Di pilh lah anak-anak perempuan keluarga yang malas membayar pajak,keluarga Baron Jamison, yang memiliki 3 anak perempuan,dan 1 a
Didi
This was the first Julie Garwood novel I've read---I know, I know, shame on me!--- and it was great! I loved the setting, the sweet and slow romance that develops between Jamie and Alec and especially the love that blossoms between them.

I couldn't understand why Alec would give her such a hard time, making her work for his attention at times just to withhold it indefinitely at others. He seemed too arrogant and abrasive with Jamie but I came to understand his way of thinking. I got that he wasn'
Karla
Just great fun!! Unrealistic at times, but the characters are so charming and absorbing that you just want to see where the story takes you. Oh Alec...YUM! I wanted to peel him off the pages of the book. Set in his ways he is challenged on every level by Jamie, his snarky, sassy, no sense of direction, always pondering new bride. She has no clue as to the effect she has not only on Alec, but everyone who she comes in contact with. He, as well as his entire clan, are totally smitten with her. As ...more
Zoe
Sep 05, 2016 Zoe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Like a lot of romance readers, I started the journey with Julie Garwood's early highland romances in my youth. And like most romance readers, I loved her and I still do.

I have not, however, re-read any of my old-time favorites from her in a long time. Kindle helped me "rekindle" (no pun intended) my love affair with her books and I downloaded a bunch of them just like that. I remember them all well and the Bride is one of them.

I still enjoyed re-reading the Bride, even though I will admit to m
Crista
This past week, I've been revisiting "old favorites" to see if they stand up to my initial impression. The Bride is one of those books that I read years ago and have never forgotten. Rereading it, I was reminded of why.

I think the true strength of this book lies within the heroine. Jaime is just a great lady. She is refreshingly honest, loyal, and quite a determined young woman. She is IMPOSSIBLE not to love, and as this book flies by, her actions and motives become oh so endearing. She is funn
Mishelle LaBrash
Jul 08, 2010 Mishelle LaBrash rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I tried to like this book, I really tried.

I went into this story with such enthusiasm cause of all the fantastic rating my GR community had been given it. It had some great moments, I will admit, but they were too few and far between to make the story itself great.

In the past, I started another of her books, Castles (Crown's Spies, #4) by Julie Garwood, and couldn't make it past the first few chapters. I think I may have to admit this particular author's style, is simply not my 'cup of tea'
Raine
Super funny!!! Loved it when I read it years ago and read it for a PIFM challenge and still loved it! Even though I've been reading romantic erotica the last few years it is still nice to read a well-written and funny romance.

*****Reread again*****
Last read 12/10/2015

Still a great story. So enjoyable!
Melanie
I loved loved LOVED this book! Jamie was so feisty, and spunky enough to stand up to hunky Alec, who had strict opinions about how ladies should act.. Good thing Jamie overthrew them all!! :-) Now one of my favorite books! :-)
Help!! Forgot a name of a book. 4 17 May 09, 2016 05:10AM
Let's Talk About ...: The Bride (Lairds' Fiancees #1) 33 110 Sep 09, 2014 04:46PM
Looking for a book 46 329 Aug 29, 2014 06:29AM
Western and Medie...: BOM: October 2012 3 25 Oct 10, 2012 08:44AM
New member 3 137 Jul 13, 2012 10:07AM
  • Born in Sin (Brotherhood of the Sword #3/MacAllister, #2)
  • A Kingdom of Dreams (Westmoreland, #1)
  • Defiant (MacKinnon's Rangers, #3)
  • The Hawk (Highland Guard, #2)
  • Never Love a Highlander (McCabe Trilogy, #3)
  • The Many Sins of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3)
  • Dreaming of You (The Gamblers, #2)
  • Texas Destiny (Leigh Brothers Texas Trilogy, #1)
  • The Warlord (Montagues, #1)
  • Laird of the Mist (MacGregors, #1)
  • Charming the Prince (Once Upon A Time, #1)
With more than 35 million books in print and 26 NEW YORK TIMES bestsellers, Julie Garwood has earned a position among America's favorite fiction writers.

Born and raised in Kansas City, MO, Ms. Garwood attributes much of her success to growing up in a large family of Irish heritage. "The Irish are great storytellers who relish getting all of the details and nuances of every situation. Add in the fa
More about Julie Garwood...

Lairds' Fiancées (2 books)
  • The Wedding (Lairds' Fiancées, #2)

“My wife."
"By what name is she called, Kincaid?"
"Mine.”
74 likes
“She still hadn't caught on. Alec sighed. "Change your gown, Jamie, if that's your inclination. I prefer white. Now go and do my bidding. The hour grows late and we must be on our way."

He'd deliberately lengthened his speech, giving her time to react to his announcement. He thought he was being most considerate.

She thought he was demented.

Jamie was, at first, too stunned to do more than stare in horror at the warlord. When she finally gained her voice, she shouted, "It will be a frigid day in heaven before I marry you, milord, a frigid day indeed."

"You've just described the Highlands in winter, lass. And you will marry me."

"Never."

Exactly one hour later, Lady Jamison was wed to Alec Kincaid.”
66 likes