Start by marking “If Ever I Return Again” as Want to Read:
If Ever I Return Again

If Ever I Return Again

I could not write for many days. Write! I could not walk or eat or even talk except to moan and wish that I were home or dead or anywhere but here aboard this ship.Twelve-year-old Celia Snow regrets the day she convinced her parents to allow her to accompany them on her father's whaling expedition in 1856. She thought it would be exciting, exotic, and thoroughly grown-up. ...more
Published June 30th 2000 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about If Ever I Return Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If Ever I Return Again

Rebecca
Apr 01, 2009 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
In 1856, twelve-year-old Celia Snow leaves her little brother and a comfortable life in a small New England seaport village to join her father, a sea captain, and her mother on a whaling voyage that could last up to four or five years. Desperatley lonely on the monotanous journey, with whales few and far between, Celia writes long, detailed letters to her cousin Abigail, back home. She describes the daily routine of life on board a whaling ship, a stay on the beautiful Sandwich Islands (now Hawa ...more
Miss Amanda
gr 5-8 197 pgs

the whaling ship the Jupiter, 1856. Told through the letters that 12 year old Celia Snow writes to her cousin about her experiences aboard her father's whaling ship. Celia is excited that she is considered old enough to travel with her mother and father while her younger brother is left with her cousin. Celia describes daily shipboard life, how they harvest the whale oil from the whales they catch, traveling around the horn, a stop in the Sandwich Islands (Hawaii) etc

Good adventure
Lonette
Dec 29, 2008 Lonette rated it liked it
The main character, a twelve year old girl, learns a lot about life, sailing, and relationships as she spends two years aboard a whaling ship of which her father is captain. Her views of the world, whaling, and most especially her mother, who is traveling with them, change during the course of this journey.
Amanda
Apr 02, 2014 Amanda rated it did not like it
Kind of a rash decision but I was very bored. Every journal talked about how much she missed home and it didn't feel like it was going anywhere...
It's a short children's book so I don't feel too bad for ending it short.
I gave it a go because it was on my bookshelf and I thought it'd be interesting. : /
Morgan
Jul 23, 2013 Morgan rated it did not like it
Didn't like this book. The heroine of the story and her father have a twisted view of God. They believe that He created them and everything, but that prayer is futile and that He (God) leaves it up to them to determine the course for their life. The only things you can trust in is yourself. It left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Would not recommend.
Lindsee
Oct 03, 2010 Lindsee rated it it was amazing
I'm not very far in this book, but I like it a lot!
Carrie Dalby
Mar 11, 2016 Carrie Dalby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
If you like THE TRUE CONFESSIONS OF CHARLOTTE DOYLE by Avi you'll probably enjoy this seafaring adventure told in the form of letters by the captain's daughter to her cousin back home.
LeeAnn
Feb 14, 2009 LeeAnn rated it really liked it
This is a very good coming-of-age book told from the perspective of a daughter. It seems there are many of these about boys, not so many about the travails of a girl during this time.
Jan 22, 2016 Laura marked it as cataloged
Shelves: children
whaling boat
Wynter M
Sep 12, 2012 Wynter M rated it it was ok
it was ver boring, the mom was really mean, and a baby dies at 3 weeks
Michele Torrey
Michele Torrey rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2009
Logan
Logan rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2010
Maegen Schmidt
Maegen Schmidt rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2012
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2008
Sasha Lansky
Sasha Lansky rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2016
Hannah Abbott
Hannah Abbott rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2014
Tasneem Ahmed
Tasneem Ahmed rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2016
QNPoohBear
QNPoohBear rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2013
Sarah rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2014
Olivia
Olivia rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2013
Mara
Mara rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2011
Megan
Megan rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2010
Lauren
Lauren rated it did not like it
Oct 01, 2012
Grahame
Grahame rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2010
Brillare
Brillare marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2008
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2009
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
May 13, 2010
Oliviagriffin
Oliviagriffin marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2010
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2012
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
May 17, 2012
Silvia
Silvia added it
Jul 27, 2013
Carine
Carine added it
Mar 03, 2014
Heba
Heba marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Corinne Demas is Professor of English at Mount Holyoke College and a fiction editor of the Massachusetts Review. She has a Ph.D. in English and Comparative Literature from Columbia University.

She is the award-winning author of thirty books, including five novels, two collections of short stories, a memoir, and numerous books for children.

More about Corinne Demas...