Start by marking “The Littlest Matryoshka” as Want to Read:
The Littlest Matryoshka

The Littlest Matryoshka

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  132 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Nina, the smallest of a group of Russian nesting dolls, is separated from her sisters and swept along on a dangerous journey that eventually brings her back home.
Published 1999 by Hyperion Books for Children (first published January 1st 1900)

To ask other readers questions about The Littlest Matryoshka, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Littlest Matryoshka

Terralyn
Mar 26, 2015 Terralyn rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! I bought it to read to my four year old niece. I was a bit concerned it wouldn't hold her attention, but she loved it as much as I did. Thanks, Pam, for recommending it!!
Jole
Mar 03, 2009 Jole rated it it was amazing
Karina
It's a story about six nesting dolls who've been created by a doll maker. Each doll had a name and they all were sisters. There was Nina, the youngest, Nadia, Vanda, Varka, Olga, and Anna, the oldest. When the dolls were placed in a shop, Nina, the littlest, was accidentally knocked from the shelf. She went through various adventures as she tried to reconnect with her sisters (matryoshky) as they were bought by a girl.

This would be a good book to read when teaching the students about the Russia
Christina
Sweet little story; reminds me of Hans Christian Andersen's Little Tin Soldier, minus the love interest and sad ending.
Olivia Lagore
The Littlest Matryoshka is the story of a set of six nesting dolls, mad in Russia, who travel over the ocean to America, where the other dolls are separated from the smallest doll. Fortunately, however, all comes to a happy end when they are bought by a little girl who eventually finds the other doll and the set is complete once again.
This would be a god book to use when discussing how goods are traded between countries, traditional toys/items in other countries, and how ideas are passed from on
Natalie
The Littlest Matryoshka tells the story of Nina, the smallest doll in a matryoshka set who gets split up from her companions. The story depicts her struggles in reuniting with her family. The story is cute and easy to follow; the art is lovely. Though not a child when I read this, I was a Russian studies minor in college, so I especially appreciated the author's note summarizing the historical aspects of Russian matryoshka dolls.

This is a cute read that I'm sure I'll share with the kids I babysi
Icarlygirl
Mar 04, 2009 Icarlygirl rated it it was amazing
Jillian Warren
A story about a set of nesting dolls that are made in Russia and then shipped to America. When the littlest nesting doll is lost, the rest of the set is sold to a little girl for half price. We follow the adventures of the smallest nesting doll as she finds her way back to her sisters.
Janelle
Jun 28, 2008 Janelle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: artisans, crafty folks, shopkeepers
Shelves: children-s-books
I love matryoshka dolls, and I really liked this story about them. This books starts with their creation, and follows their journey from a Russian toymaker to a little girl in America.

I'm often intrigued by handcrafted items and wonder about their story - who created them and where they lived. I have a mask from New Zealand and a boomerang from Australia, and sometimes I look at them and contemplate their journey.

I think this would be a great book to read, and then bring in handcrafted items t
Brigette
Oct 07, 2014 Brigette rated it really liked it
Sweet story & illustrations, plus a little history of the Russian nesting dolls.
Corinne
Jan 08, 2016 Corinne rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, kids, own
Such a sweet story about these unique little Russian dolls.
Macarena Sosnik
Loved this book!!
Ch_wesley Miller
Feb 05, 2010 Ch_wesley Miller rated it liked it
Shelves: mc-literature
This heart-warming story is about the journey of matryoshka sisters Nina, Nadia,Vanda, Varka, Olga,and Anna.These sisters are hand made dolls who are shipped from Russia to America. The smallest sister is accidently swept off the edge of a shelf. While her other sisters find their way into the hands of a caring new owner. This old- fashioned story is a testament to the power of sisterly love. This story also explores Russia's native culture and folk traditions. How will Nina ever be reunited wi ...more
Pam
Feb 29, 2016 Pam rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome. We have matryoshkas, and once lost the littlest one for many many months before finding her again - thanks to A (just like in the book)! Also, I love the idea of sisters keeping each other safe. So glad we bought this one to own! 2/20/14

Reread 2/29/16 Still such an amazing book! It will never go out of style at our house...especially now that A collects matryoshkas!!
Janet
I enjoy matrioshkas and have several and therefore read this title. It is an okay story. The two good points are, the first page describing the doll maker in Russia making the matrioshka that becomes the story character and the author's full page note describing the history of them. The author's note is an excellent summation of the origins and development of the craft.
Jenny
Nov 26, 2012 Jenny rated it liked it
I read this to my children. They enjoyed the illustrations and the story of the little matryoshka who gets lost and then finds her way back to her sisters. My 9 year old asked if she could maybe get matryoshka dolls after hearing this story. Since her Christmas list is very short this year, we may be looking for some matryoshka dolls for her.
Sandybear76
Jul 15, 2013 Sandybear76 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I found this book in Juneau, AK while looking at a gift shop's matryoshka dolls for sale. The story is a cute story about the littlest doll getting lost from her sisters but finds her way back to the rest of the nesting dolls.
Marcia
Oct 07, 2012 Marcia rated it really liked it
A beautiful, sweet story about a family of matryoshka dolls and a little girl who falls in love with them. In the spirit of Pam Conrad's The Tub People, there is an adventure to be had---with a happy conclusion. A lovely book.
Amanda
Nov 01, 2015 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little long for my 2.5 year old, but a cute story. We only got through half before she lost interest. Will have to try again when she is older.
Theresa
Jul 23, 2011 Theresa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
beautiful pictures, and lucky quiencieces
Corinne Zylstra
Corinne Zylstra rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2016
Erika
Erika added it
Jul 11, 2016
Anders Friesen
Anders Friesen marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Cass
Cass rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2016
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Tema
Tema marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
May 30, 2016
Hannah
Hannah rated it really liked it
May 18, 2016