The Fair Women: The Story of the Women's Building at the World's Columbian Exposition, Chicago 1893

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  7 ratings  ·  3 reviews
The World's Columbian Exposition included amazing exhibits of the results of women's activities -- in the arts, industry, science, politics and philanthropy. Most of these were housed in the Woman's Building, which was designed, decorated and administered entirely by women.
Published August 30th 1981 by Chicago Review Press (first published June 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Fair Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fair Women

Barbara Mitchell
Seems like I've been reading this book forever, but I did enjoy it. Otherwise I wouldn't have stuck with it when I came across parts that were guilty of too much information. I think Jeanne Madeline Weimann must share one of my faults. You do so much research for a book like this that it's tempting to include every little item. If anyone thinks of writing a paper about the Women's Building of the 1893 Chicago World's Fair, this is an excellent source, bibliography and all.

The 1890s saw a social...more
Rita
OK I read the first 50 pages and I call it quits! I have just had a bunion surgery on my foot and am in need of pure entertainment to distract me from the throbbing. This book is meticulously researched and at another time, I might have stuck with it. Uncle!
Estatechicago Oliva
Shows how influential women were at the turn of the century. Great Chicago information about the Columbian World's Fair.
Jonathan Reed
Jonathan Reed marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
RNW
RNW added it
Jun 18, 2014
Jacky
Jacky marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2013
Wildwomble
Wildwomble marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2013
Kellie Jones
Kellie Jones marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2012
Gabrielle Carolina
Gabrielle Carolina marked it as to-read
May 09, 2012
Virginia
Virginia marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2012
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2011
Ij
Ij marked it as to-read
May 04, 2011
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
May 20, 2009