Start by marking “Rescue One: Breaking Point (Rescue One series Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Rescue One: Breaking Point (Rescue One series Book 1)

Rescue One: Breaking Point (Rescue One 0.5)

Antonio Baros has invented an engine that can propel a spaceship faster-than-light, but he has no idea if it works.

Fearful of losing the glory of his invention, Antonio pilots the prototype spaceship himself, with disastrous results. Alone in space, with little hope of survival, he must face his inner demons or reach his breaking point.

You can read a free preview here.
Published April 19th 2014 by Page Up Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Rescue One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rescue One

Joe Prentis
Apr 25, 2014 Joe Prentis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Breaking Point by Michael Gardner
A dystopian space opera

The authors of science fiction stories often deal with problem that few of us have thought about, but are interesting to read and contemplate. In Isaac Asimov’s novels, Asimov led us down the path of entertainment while dealing with the problems of space, time, and travel. His characters encountered difficulties such as, ‘how do you control a robot that has human-like intelligence.’ These are the things upon which great science fiction stor
Michael Andrews
May 28, 2014 Michael Andrews rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Roll on the first book proper!!

I bought this book as I had seen it on Goodreads and I liked the front cover, it grabbed me straight away and as a fan of sci-fi, I thought, heck why not!!

I read another review comparing it to the Star Trek universe and I can see where he was coming from in that this is the Star Trek First Contact to the next set of films.

This prequel sets the background to how humanity discover faster than light space flight and the main protagonist is someone that you want to lik
Lita Burke
Jun 14, 2014 Lita Burke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rescue One: Breaking Point by Michael Gardner is a science fiction short story about Antonio, a scientist turned astronaut, who takes a maiden flight on an experimental spaceship.

Brilliant inventor Antonio Baros is so sure of his faster-than-light technology that he spares no political maneuvering to win the notoriety of being the space ship’s first pilot. Finally getting his way, Antonio straps in and takes this historic thirty-second trip. To die on the flight would have been bad enough. Survi
Alex Flyn
May 02, 2014 Alex Flyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a short story, but it will seem like you will have lived a whole life along with the main character.

Extremely emotional, sometimes even painfully so, this story will take you on a journey of discovery, success and failure, all at the same time. Personally, I went through all five stages of grief with the main character while reading it, hoping for a happy ending. In terms of emotions, this book delivers and does not disappoint.
Chotley
Mar 08, 2015 Chotley rated it really liked it
Author Gardner uses this short story to set up the universe for his full-length novel, Rescue One. It doesn't feel like space opera, in which tech is treated more like magic than science. This is thoughtful science fiction. At the same time, it doesn't bog down to explain ad nauseum how all the science works.

The main character, Antonio Baras, was not the most likeable guy. Yes, bureaucracies are a royal pain, and Baras sees how important it is for all mankind that his new drive system work, but
Alasdair Shaw
Apr 19, 2015 Alasdair Shaw rated it liked it
A short story telling the tale of humanity’s first attempt at FTL travel. It focuses on the travails of the lead scientist of the project from inception to test flight.

I particularly liked the scientist’s rivalry, and eventual victory over, the assigned test pilot. As a physicist the tendency of the public to remember the person who sat in the cockpit pressing buttons over the person who actually designed and built the system rings true.
Some of the little details also remind me of things I’ve en
Bruce
Aug 13, 2016 Bruce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The prequel to the up and coming novel, Rescue One, "Breaking Point" lays the foundation about what is to come.

The stage is set in an interesting format in the prequel, and a major character is introduced. We watch a type of "Star-Trek: First Contact" type of spin on an experiment that will ultimately help humanity speed through the universe.

The writing style was good, and I only found a few typos. However, I wondered at the need for this prequel as a separate story. In other words, why not sim
Shannon Haddock
Jun 15, 2014 Shannon Haddock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good, if rather short, story. I know it’s a short story, but it felt like it could’ve easily been a bit longer, like some of the flashback bits could’ve done with a bit more fleshing out. I liked the main character, especially that he was far from perfect while still being competent. I liked that it starts with things going wrong and then flashes back to how the experiment got funded and whatnot, instead of moving chronologically. Really, my only complaint is that it was so very ...more
L. Sengul
Sep 02, 2016 L. Sengul rated it liked it
This short story is based on Antonio a scientist who designed a space craft that travels faster than light. The story is about him wanting to be recognised for what he has built and sabotages other pilots careers to ensure that he becomes his own test pilot. I liked the writing style. However i felt it lacked further insight into Antonio's grand plan but perhaps that is the point of a short story. It was a good read.
Wilde Sky
Jun 28, 2014 Wilde Sky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A scientist develops a faster than light drive, but his hubris makes him risk everything.

I found this Sci-Fi story very interesting / clever, especially for a short story.

If you enjoy Sci-Fi this short story is definitely one to read.
Austin Myers
Austin Myers rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2015
Tonnya
Tonnya rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2015
Dave Warren
Dave Warren rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2015
Bailey Sample
Bailey Sample rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2015
Terry Jackson-Myers
Terry Jackson-Myers rated it did not like it
Sep 01, 2014
Toby Cooper
Toby Cooper rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2015
Bob
Bob rated it it was ok
Sep 16, 2015
Chris Heath
Chris Heath rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2014
Mandy Walkden-Brown
Mandy Walkden-Brown rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2016
Jane
Jane rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2014
Matt Dwen
Matt Dwen rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2015
Pia
Pia rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2014
Brenna Vivian
Brenna Vivian rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2015
Hal Gregory
Hal Gregory rated it it was ok
Jul 16, 2016
Stephen Shale
Stephen Shale rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2014
Al Collier
Al Collier rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2015
Raymond Rock
Raymond Rock rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Kinzie
Kinzie marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Randy Harmelink
Randy Harmelink marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Alix
Alix marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Wendy Unsworth
Wendy Unsworth marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Earicka
Earicka marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
S.M. Franklin
S.M. Franklin marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Amanda Robinson
Amanda Robinson marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Michael Gardner
Jul 02, 2014 Michael Gardner added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Tim Barrable
Tim Barrable marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
J.M.
J.M. marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Nathanial Jones
Nathanial Jones marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Betty Macy
Betty Macy marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Shawn
Shawn marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Pete Miller
Pete Miller marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Ricardo
Ricardo marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
V.M. Sawh
V.M. Sawh marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Stephen Robertson
Stephen Robertson marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Christelle
Christelle marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Kelly Willcoxbrackeen
Kelly Willcoxbrackeen marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Terry Ferguson
Terry Ferguson marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
I’m a writer from Aotearoa, Land of the Long White Cloud, better known as New Zealand. I’ve been writing for as long as I can remember. My first work, aged two, was written in red crayon on the kitchen wall. It wasn’t well-received. Since then I have been working on my craft to better please my readers, because without a reader, an author is nothing.

Writing has been a great journey. When I started
More about Michael Gardner...

Rescue One (1 books)