Start by marking “Stanley Mows the Lawn” as Want to Read:
Stanley Mows the Lawn

Stanley Mows the Lawn

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  16 reviews
One day, Stanley sets out to mow his lawn. Up and back, up and back, there's only one way to do it...or is there? Renowned graphic designer and illustrator Craig Frazier has combined bold, dynamic illustrations with a simple story that celebrates the imagination and the art of looking at the world in your own way.
Published April 14th 2005 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Stanley Mows the Lawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stanley Mows the Lawn

Kathleen Dixon
This is the first Stanley book that I discovered, and it spurred me to borrow several others by the same author from the library. In this gorgeous little book, Stanley goes out to mow his huge lawn (a paddock, really) and notices something in the long grass. A little afraid, he bends down to look. At the same time, the snake, also a little afraid, peers out. Instant friendship! Stanley then makes sure that there is plenty of long grass still for the snake.

Beautiful illustrations, cute story. I'm...more
Rebecca Ann
This is a every simple story with very simple illustrations, but it works quite well. The flat, simplistic artwork with a limited color palette draws attention to the story itself instead of the art. The overall moral is that it's sometimes good to try new things, as Stanley tries a new style of lawn care. There is also a subtle encouragement of nature and biodiversity in the somewhat symbiotic relationship that develops between Hank the Snake and Stanley. Great for storytime with the younger ag...more
Sam Grace
My partner rates this closer to a two, but the short short story and neat geometric illustrations make it more for me (I suspect what I like is exactly what he dislikes ... oh well, no accounting for taste). It's the story of a man who is mowing the lawn and the snake living in it and the creative compromise they come to. It's a good lesson to consider others in the world and think outside the box.
Peggy
Simple story. Great artwork. My boys enjoy this one. There really aren't a lot of stories out there about mowing so it's a nice change of pace. I enjoy exposing them to different types of art as well as great stories and this one is really more about the artwork than the story for me, but the story seems to work for the boys so we're all happy.
Ginnie
This book received five stars from me because it's a sweet, simple book with fantastic illustrations. Perfect for a story time, especially one involving cubism or color. The simple shapes, monochromatic background, and stunning composition make each page a pleasure to behold.
Kelsey
Age: Preschool - Kindergarten
Season: Summer

A great display of patterns, Stanley mows his lawn in imitation of the patterns on Hank the Snake who passes by. This imitation is not explained so caregivers should open up dialogue for their children to engage in.
Kayla
An instant fave for Susie and I. She loves Hank the surprise visitor, and the last page's "ssssseee you later" always makes her grin. Wonderful illustration, perfect for this time of year when we get to start watching Daddy mow.
Amber Cooper
This book is a short story about a man bumping into a snake while mowing his lawn. This book introduces terms such as; (outside, inside, straight line, zigzag) which may be good for younger elementary -pre-k learning directional terms.
Janey
A good-looking, straightforward, and fun little book about completing a task in a couple of different ways. I think there's a sweet undercurrent about being brave enough to try/do/face something new and unfamiliar.
Mary Taitt
Mar 04, 2013 Mary Taitt rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: small children and their families

I like this book very much. The illustrations of Stanley, the lawn-mower and Hank the snake are excellent and the story is simple, fun and kind. Stanley mows the lawn in such a way as to maintain a home for Hank.
Robin
Aug 31, 2014 Robin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: gag
I liked the graphic illustrations but the story was flat. Also really like the old push mower, but don't know if any kids today can identify one when it's not in action.
Carissa
Yeah, it was okay. The depiction of the snake was weird.
Rainey
Short and sparse, complimenting the modern illustrations.
Jodie
Simple story; modern art concepts with patterns.
Kristin
We love Stanley and Hank. Great illustration.
Chris
Chris added it
Aug 28, 2014
Marilyn
Marilyn marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Hs
Hs added it
Jun 23, 2014
Leo
Leo added it
May 15, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Lots of Dots Bee & Bird Hank Finds Inspiration Stanley Goes for a Drive Stanley Goes Fishing