Start by marking “Heart of the Matter” as Want to Read:
Heart of the Matter

Heart of the Matter

Smart and sexy, Kate is Ellen's dream girl, but the dynamic TV newscaster doesn't know she exists. But one rainy night a near-tragedy changes everything when Kate is involved in an automobile accident and turns to Ellen for help.
Published March 25th 2008 by Bold Strokes Books

To ask other readers questions about Heart of the Matter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart of the Matter

Kym Richardson
Apr 13, 2017 Kym Richardson rated it liked it
Shelves: lesbian
3.5 stars. It was a good, easy read. The characters are flawed and likeable which makes it easy to connect to them. The ending felt a little rushed compared to the rest of the book but it was enjoyable.
angie
Mar 29, 2014 angie rated it really liked it

At first, I didn't want to like Heart Of The Matter. Both main characters' insecurities, especially Ellen's unrelenting weight obsession, often saddle the romance with way too much emotional baggage. It makes me so sad and mad when likable women are always so down on themselves about their appearance. Ellen's tightly held conviction she needs to change her physical looks to be accepted by women like Sandra (a woman she half-heartedly dates while trying not to pine for Kate) could be exasperating
Maria
May 28, 2010 Maria rated it it was ok
I had an interesting reaction to this book... for most of it I didn't like the characters that much (one was a bitch, another way too soft, when they could be much more balanced), but the sexual tension between them is well made and it kept my interest 'til the end.
Bottom line: not a good book, but with some interesting parts. KI Thompson knows how to write, but I'd prefer better characters.
Jae Jae
Aug 18, 2011 Jae Jae rated it liked it
I’d say this novel isn’t bad, but it’s not outstanding either. It has some interesting ideas and premises and characters who aren’t perfect, which is always a good thing.
Mirtha Siblesz
Dec 07, 2015 Mirtha Siblesz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book

Ellen's body issues are so true in today's society as well as Kate's insecurities about what happened to her as a result of her accident was also accurately depicted as well. The Civil War depictions made me want to know more about that time period and their love story. Was sweetly told.

Job well done!
Tori
Dec 11, 2010 Tori rated it really liked it
i generally liked the book. I have read a lot of novel like this one.Women doesn't know the other exist until a terrible accident that the fall for each other while helping each other with some flaw.

I can't explain it maybe it was the writing but i would read it again.i don't even like happy ending but i loved this one.
Alli
Mar 31, 2012 Alli rated it did not like it
Shelves: books-2012, lgbt
I finished this book because I felt obligated to once I started it. But I honestly could have cared less about the characters; I had no sympathy for one lead, the other was just annoying, and the best I felt was when I finished it and could put it aside.
Morgan
Jan 11, 2013 Morgan rated it did not like it
Shelves: lesbian, crap
One of the worst lesbian romance novels I've read lately, and I've been reading some real doozies. The characters are horrendous with neither lead being particularly sympathetic or likable. Basically a love story between a door mat and an egotist. Sounds exciting, doesn't it?
Jen Vance
Feb 15, 2015 Jen Vance rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtqqia
I am a slow reader and read it in day. i personally liked it.
Debby
Debby rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2010
Kari Lippert
Kari Lippert rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2013
Line
Line rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2012
Amanda
Amanda rated it did not like it
Jun 11, 2013
Marta
Marta rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2016
alex
alex rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2011
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was ok
Oct 21, 2014
Randi Morin
Randi Morin rated it did not like it
Feb 26, 2016
Erica
Erica rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
AJ
AJ rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2013
Sox2cezanne
Sox2cezanne rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2012
Jodie Atkinson
Jodie Atkinson rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2011
-Lisa W -Hurricane
-Lisa W -Hurricane rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2012
Monique
Monique rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2012
Terri
Terri rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2013
Rachael
Rachael rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2015
Ping-Chung Ellen  Wang
Ping-Chung Ellen Wang rated it really liked it
May 05, 2015
Blair
Blair rated it liked it
May 09, 2014
Darkbynight
Darkbynight rated it it was ok
Apr 16, 2015
Angela Willis
Angela Willis rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2013
Patience Ashwill
Patience Ashwill rated it it was ok
Sep 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • One Degree of Separation
  • Fresh Tracks
  • Power Play
  • Warrior's Valor (Supreme Constellations, #3)
  • Just This Once
  • The Candidate
  • Forever Found
  • Wall of Silence
  • Sequestered Hearts
  • Tomorrow's Promise
  • Skin Deep
  • The Illusionist
KI Thompson is the author of three novels, House of Clouds (2008 Sapphic Readers’ Award, and 2008 Indie Book Award and 2008 Goldie Award finalists), Heart of the Matter, and Cooper’s Deale (Bold Strokes Books). She also has short stories in the anthologies Erotic Interludes (2-5) by Bold Strokes Books, Fantasy: Untrue Stories of Lesbian Passion (Bella Books), and Best Lesbian Romance 2007 as well ...more
More about K.I. Thompson...