The Candidate

The Candidate (Kincaid/Warner #1)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  208 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Presidential candidate Jane Kincaid--gorgeous, dynamic and extremely driven--is taking the country by storm, passionately outlining her blueprint for America. Voters quickly fall in love with her... and so, unwittingly, does Secret Service Agent Alexandria Warner.

Their mutual attraction begins to take on a fiery life of its own, and soon Jane fears that their intense feel...more
Published December 1st 2008 by Bella Books (first published January 14th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Candidate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Candidate

Tipping the Velvet by Sarah WatersFingersmith by Sarah WatersAnnie on My Mind by Nancy GardenKeeping You a Secret by Julie Anne PetersFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
Best Lesbian Fiction
126th out of 947 books — 1,109 voters
The Target by Gerri HillFated Love by RadclyffeHunter's Way by Gerri HillKeepers of the Cave by Gerri HillTumbleweed Fever by L.J. Maas
Best Butch/Femme couples
28th out of 29 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Serena
This was my kind of book. strong women as main characters. Jane Kincaid is an unattainable woman, beautiful, powerful and intelligent. Alex Warner is a woman who is strong, honest and professional. The situation is not easy, but that only makes it more fun. Good chemistry and romance, as it should be in the genre! The intimate moments were wonderful set, which I think is not a luxury, but an interest for a completely satisfying book. I enjoyed it, on to Part 2.
Scoobyfan
The first chapter of this book is pretty good. The novel goes downhill after that, although there are a few bright spots of tension. What struck me most as I was reading was the woodenness of the story and the characters. The heroines, Jane and Alex, do not come alive on the page, and so neither does their romance. Their journey to their relationship seems hollow. The novel is a good example of why authors should show and not tell. I don't really care what happens to the characters. We aren't al...more
Morgan
This book was awful, but puzzling in that there were such bright moments of excellent writing, notably the snippets of speeches "the candidate" gives at her rallies, but the chemistry between the leads was non existent and the dialogue, other than the speeches, juvenile at best. It was almost like there were two completely different writers. However, what annoyed me the most was that literally every line of dialogue was addressing the other character by name. Ex "You mean so much to me, Alex. Do...more
Alena
Romance novel by Tracey Richardson about a fictitious woman running for the Democratic presidential nomination in 2008 who battles her growing feelings for one of her (female) secret service agents.

This premise, I think, has a lot of potential to explore lots of issues, and it attempts to, but it is very much confined in the romance genre and thus doesn't take the opportunity to really tell more than a romance.

It's a solid romance, I can't really complain, the main characters are a bit cliché an...more
Milkiways
Nice political-romance plot!
Alicia
Loved it

I loved Jane and Alex relationship and now I can't wait to read the next book. I definitely recommend reading this.
Julia
If I was a bigger fan of straight up romance, I might have given this one a three-star rating. Or at least a 2 1/2. Generally I prefer romance wrapped up in a genre-story of some sort, so that there's more meat to the plot and character development. That said, the relationship in the book is plenty sexy and chock full of drama and angst.

To read my review, click here.
Janet
Enjoyed. A female presidential candidates interest in her assigned female FBI agent has her questioning her sexuality. In addition to finding out things about her sexuality later in life, the candidate must also wrestle with the question of what she is willing to give up for a very public career and life. Fun and current. Bill, your days may be numbered.
I was interested in this story since it revolved around politics. But some of it was boring and I felt the author was not as descriptive as she could have been, I felt some pages were repetitive. But overall, it's a decent read to pass the time.
Jae Jae
It’s a solid romance, and I have no major complaints, but sometimes the characters are a bit stereotypical. Still, so far, every book I have read of Tracey Richardson gave me the impression that she’s a reliably good writer.
SA
Dec 31, 2013 SA rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
A good FF romance novel featuring one of my favorite tropes: politics and bodyguards. It's remarkably difficult for me to find FF romance that I connect with, but Richardson's book and its sequel were a fun dip into the genre.
Danie
Eh, didn't love the two main characters mostly. Though, I really, really, really liked most of the secondary characters. But, it is what it is.
Gerard
Interesting idea, a lesbian Presidential candidate. Sadly, the writer can't write.
Jeanne Mccann
Nice romance and thoughtful story.
Bett
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Nora
Nora marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Ada
Ada marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Beth Stone
Beth Stone marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
I'm the author of several lesbian romance novels published by Bella Books, including the Lambda Literary Award finalists "Last Salute" and "No Rules of Engagement". I'm a voracious reader, even more so now that I've retired from a 27-year career as a daily newspaper journalist.
More about Tracey Richardson...
No Rules of Engagement Side Order of Love The Campaign The Wedding Party Blind Bet