Start by marking “The Candidate” as Want to Read:
The Candidate

The Candidate (Kincaid/Warner #1)

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  332 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Presidential candidate Jane Kincaid--gorgeous, dynamic and extremely driven--is taking the country by storm, passionately outlining her blueprint for America. Voters quickly fall in love with her... and so, unwittingly, does Secret Service Agent Alexandria Warner.

Their mutual attraction begins to take on a fiery life of its own, and soon Jane fears that their intense feel
Published December 1st 2008 by Bella Books (first published January 14th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Candidate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Candidate

Tipping the Velvet by Sarah WatersFingersmith by Sarah WatersAnnie on My Mind by Nancy GardenKeeping You a Secret by Julie Anne PetersFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
Best Lesbian Fiction
159th out of 1,303 books — 1,597 voters
Fated Love by RadclyffeHunter's Way by Gerri HillPassion's Bright Fury by RadclyffeThe Night Off by Meghan O'BrienThe Target by Gerri Hill
Best Butch/Femme couples
22nd out of 37 books — 25 voters

More lists with this book...

Serena
May 31, 2015 Serena rated it really liked it
Shelves: tina-s-list
This was my kind of book. strong women as main characters. Jane Kincaid is an unattainable woman, beautiful, powerful and intelligent. Alex Warner is a woman who is strong, honest and professional. The situation is not easy, but that only makes it more fun. Good chemistry and romance, as it should be in the genre! The intimate moments were wonderful set, which I think is not a luxury, but an interest for a completely satisfying book. I enjoyed it, on to Part 2.
jane shambler shambler
Impressed!

Definitely. Tracey has a remarkable fluidity in her style of writing. Throughout the book she allows you to get to know the characters and their journey together. You experience their joys, successes and their failures. It's an exhilarating experience to follow the characters and to get to know each one. Tracey allows you the freedom to form your own opinion. It's a breath taking novel full of ups and downs. It's a rollercoaster of emotions and full of humour. It's a great book, one I
Whoopy
Feb 23, 2016 Whoopy rated it really liked it
I liked it a lot. Strong women, attraction versus pushing away, .... A nice one
Scoobyfan
Feb 05, 2012 Scoobyfan rated it it was ok
The first chapter of this book is pretty good. The novel goes downhill after that, although there are a few bright spots of tension. What struck me most as I was reading was the woodenness of the story and the characters. The heroines, Jane and Alex, do not come alive on the page, and so neither does their romance. Their journey to their relationship seems hollow. The novel is a good example of why authors should show and not tell. I don't really care what happens to the characters. We aren't al ...more
Morgan
Aug 20, 2013 Morgan rated it did not like it
Shelves: lesbian, crap
This book was awful, but puzzling in that there were such bright moments of excellent writing, notably the snippets of speeches "the candidate" gives at her rallies, but the chemistry between the leads was non existent and the dialogue, other than the speeches, juvenile at best. It was almost like there were two completely different writers. However, what annoyed me the most was that literally every line of dialogue was addressing the other character by name. Ex "You mean so much to me, Alex. Do ...more
Leslie J Holbrook
Loved the subject matter!

I was pulled into this book front page one. Was not disappointed through out the book. The ending had me anticipating the next story in this series.
Alena
Dec 22, 2009 Alena rated it it was ok
Shelves: queer, fiction
Romance novel by Tracey Richardson about a fictitious woman running for the Democratic presidential nomination in 2008 who battles her growing feelings for one of her (female) secret service agents.

This premise, I think, has a lot of potential to explore lots of issues, and it attempts to, but it is very much confined in the romance genre and thus doesn't take the opportunity to really tell more than a romance.

It's a solid romance, I can't really complain, the main characters are a bit cliché an
Milkiways
Mar 02, 2014 Milkiways rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, lesfic
Nice political-romance plot!
Alicia
Jul 29, 2014 Alicia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-be-read
Loved it

I loved Jane and Alex relationship and now I can't wait to read the next book. I definitely recommend reading this.
Julia
Apr 01, 2008 Julia rated it it was ok
Shelves: queer-lit, romance
If I was a bigger fan of straight up romance, I might have given this one a three-star rating. Or at least a 2 1/2. Generally I prefer romance wrapped up in a genre-story of some sort, so that there's more meat to the plot and character development. That said, the relationship in the book is plenty sexy and chock full of drama and angst.

To read my review, click here.
Janet
Feb 12, 2008 Janet rated it liked it
Shelves: glbt-books
Enjoyed. A female presidential candidates interest in her assigned female FBI agent has her questioning her sexuality. In addition to finding out things about her sexuality later in life, the candidate must also wrestle with the question of what she is willing to give up for a very public career and life. Fun and current. Bill, your days may be numbered.
May 04, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it
I was interested in this story since it revolved around politics. But some of it was boring and I felt the author was not as descriptive as she could have been, I felt some pages were repetitive. But overall, it's a decent read to pass the time.
Jae Jae
Aug 18, 2011 Jae Jae rated it liked it
It’s a solid romance, and I have no major complaints, but sometimes the characters are a bit stereotypical. Still, so far, every book I have read of Tracey Richardson gave me the impression that she’s a reliably good writer.
SA
Dec 31, 2013 SA rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
A good FF romance novel featuring one of my favorite tropes: politics and bodyguards. It's remarkably difficult for me to find FF romance that I connect with, but Richardson's book and its sequel were a fun dip into the genre.
Danie
Jul 15, 2015 Danie rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt
Eh, didn't love the two main characters mostly. Though, I really, really, really liked most of the secondary characters. But, it is what it is.
Gerard
Aug 11, 2013 Gerard rated it it was ok
Interesting idea, a lesbian Presidential candidate. Sadly, the writer can't write.
Jeanne
Sep 25, 2012 Jeanne rated it liked it
Nice romance and thoughtful story.
Bett
Makiki
Apr 18, 2010 Makiki rated it it was ok
Decent
Russty Thaggard
Russty Thaggard marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Nicole Hoffman
Nicole Hoffman rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2016
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Patris
Patris marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Jiujiu001
Jiujiu001 marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Leslie
Leslie is currently reading it
Jun 23, 2016
Ted
Ted rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2016
Jaimee
Jaimee rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Marta_Elwion
Marta_Elwion marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
  • Wild Abandon
  • Hard Times
  • Dying to Live (Elite Operatives, #4)
  • Sheridan's Fate
  • Honor Under Siege (Honor, #6)
  • The Wild One
  • Worth Every Step
  • Just Like That
  • The Devil Unleashed (Cain Casey, #2)
  • Fresh Tracks
  • Power Play
I'm the author of several lesbian romance novels published by Bella Books, including the Lambda Literary Award finalists "Last Salute" and "No Rules of Engagement". I'm a voracious reader, even more so now that I've retired from a 27-year career as a daily newspaper journalist.
More about Tracey Richardson...

Kincaid/Warner (2 books)