Start by marking “The Candidate” as Want to Read:
The Candidate
Preview

The Candidate (Kincaid/Warner #1)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  241 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Presidential candidate Jane Kincaid--gorgeous, dynamic and extremely driven--is taking the country by storm, passionately outlining her blueprint for America. Voters quickly fall in love with her... and so, unwittingly, does Secret Service Agent Alexandria Warner.

Their mutual attraction begins to take on a fiery life of its own, and soon Jane fears that their intense feel
Published December 1st 2008 by Bella Books (first published January 14th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Candidate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Candidate

Tipping the Velvet by Sarah WatersFingersmith by Sarah WatersAnnie on My Mind by Nancy GardenKeeping You a Secret by Julie Anne PetersFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
Best Lesbian Fiction
144th out of 1,085 books — 1,306 voters
Fated Love by RadclyffeThe Target by Gerri HillHunter's Way by Gerri HillLove's Melody Lost by RadclyffeKeepers of the Cave by Gerri Hill
Best Butch/Femme couples
30th out of 31 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Serena
This was my kind of book. strong women as main characters. Jane Kincaid is an unattainable woman, beautiful, powerful and intelligent. Alex Warner is a woman who is strong, honest and professional. The situation is not easy, but that only makes it more fun. Good chemistry and romance, as it should be in the genre! The intimate moments were wonderful set, which I think is not a luxury, but an interest for a completely satisfying book. I enjoyed it, on to Part 2.
Scoobyfan
The first chapter of this book is pretty good. The novel goes downhill after that, although there are a few bright spots of tension. What struck me most as I was reading was the woodenness of the story and the characters. The heroines, Jane and Alex, do not come alive on the page, and so neither does their romance. Their journey to their relationship seems hollow. The novel is a good example of why authors should show and not tell. I don't really care what happens to the characters. We aren't al ...more
Morgan
This book was awful, but puzzling in that there were such bright moments of excellent writing, notably the snippets of speeches "the candidate" gives at her rallies, but the chemistry between the leads was non existent and the dialogue, other than the speeches, juvenile at best. It was almost like there were two completely different writers. However, what annoyed me the most was that literally every line of dialogue was addressing the other character by name. Ex "You mean so much to me, Alex. Do ...more
Alena
Romance novel by Tracey Richardson about a fictitious woman running for the Democratic presidential nomination in 2008 who battles her growing feelings for one of her (female) secret service agents.

This premise, I think, has a lot of potential to explore lots of issues, and it attempts to, but it is very much confined in the romance genre and thus doesn't take the opportunity to really tell more than a romance.

It's a solid romance, I can't really complain, the main characters are a bit cliché an
Milkiways
Nice political-romance plot!
Alicia
Loved it

I loved Jane and Alex relationship and now I can't wait to read the next book. I definitely recommend reading this.
Julia
If I was a bigger fan of straight up romance, I might have given this one a three-star rating. Or at least a 2 1/2. Generally I prefer romance wrapped up in a genre-story of some sort, so that there's more meat to the plot and character development. That said, the relationship in the book is plenty sexy and chock full of drama and angst.

To read my review, click here.
Janet
Enjoyed. A female presidential candidates interest in her assigned female FBI agent has her questioning her sexuality. In addition to finding out things about her sexuality later in life, the candidate must also wrestle with the question of what she is willing to give up for a very public career and life. Fun and current. Bill, your days may be numbered.
I was interested in this story since it revolved around politics. But some of it was boring and I felt the author was not as descriptive as she could have been, I felt some pages were repetitive. But overall, it's a decent read to pass the time.
Jae Jae
It’s a solid romance, and I have no major complaints, but sometimes the characters are a bit stereotypical. Still, so far, every book I have read of Tracey Richardson gave me the impression that she’s a reliably good writer.
SA
Dec 31, 2013 SA rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
A good FF romance novel featuring one of my favorite tropes: politics and bodyguards. It's remarkably difficult for me to find FF romance that I connect with, but Richardson's book and its sequel were a fun dip into the genre.
Danie
Eh, didn't love the two main characters mostly. Though, I really, really, really liked most of the secondary characters. But, it is what it is.
Gerard
Interesting idea, a lesbian Presidential candidate. Sadly, the writer can't write.
Jeanne
Nice romance and thoughtful story.
Bett
Keydi
Keydi marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Lesley Gerasimou
Lesley Gerasimou marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Carola
Carola marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
  • First Lady
  • Honor Guards (Honor, #4)
  • Too Close to Touch
  • Substitute for Love
  • Wild Abandon
  • Sheridan's Fate
  • Worth Every Step
  • Infinite Loop
  • Storms
  • The Devil Unleashed (Cain Casey, #2)
I'm the author of several lesbian romance novels published by Bella Books, including the Lambda Literary Award finalists "Last Salute" and "No Rules of Engagement". I'm a voracious reader, even more so now that I've retired from a 27-year career as a daily newspaper journalist.
More about Tracey Richardson...

Kincaid/Warner (2 books)
  • The Campaign
No Rules of Engagement Side Order of Love The Campaign The Wedding Party Last Salute