Start by marking “The Letters of John and Abigail Adams” as Want to Read:
The Letters of John and Abigail Adams

The Letters of John and Abigail Adams

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  228 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
The correspondence of a Founding Father and his brilliant wife

The Letters of John and Abigail Adams provides an insightful record of American life before, during, and after the Revolution; the letters also reveal the intellectually and emotionally fulfilling relationship between John and Abigail that lasted fifty-four years and withstood historical upheavals, long periods
Published December 30th 2003 by Penguin Classics (first published January 1st 1840)

To ask other readers questions about The Letters of John and Abigail Adams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Letters of John and Abigail Adams

Paul Jellinek
Nov 10, 2011 Paul Jellinek rated it it was amazing
These letters will blow you away. Behind those hopelessly stilted cover portraits of our second president and his first lady, there lived and breathed two vibrant, opinionated, brilliant and fully human individuals who were, among other things, deeply in love with and committed to one another--as well as to their newborn country. These letters cover the full span of the American Revolution, a time when John and Abigail were often separated for unbearably long stretches of time (sometimes years), ...more
Maura
Jan 24, 2012 Maura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fic, history
This was the other book I had with me on my flights. now that was a bit of mental whiplash -- going from 1770's Boston to 1990's Boston and back again! whee! This was so interesting to read -- it covers pretty much the entire span of the Revolutionary War. It makes everything feel much more real. Abigail is constantly complaining that John never writes often or long enough. John keeps reminding her to save money and to set a good example for their children. Abigail keeps cutting stories short be ...more
M.A. Kropp
Feb 12, 2016 M.A. Kropp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, e-books
I have long been a fan of Abigail Adams. Though she was largely educated by her mother and grandmother (having been determined to be too sickly for public education), she became one of the most intelligent and knowledgable women of her time. She was an advocate for women's rights long before it was a popular idea, and was almost as involved in politics as her husband.

The letters in this volume were written while John was in Philadelphia and other cities as a delegate to the First Continental Con
Megan Reichelt
Jun 02, 2010 Megan Reichelt rated it liked it
This book is a selection of letters between John and Abigail Adams, the couple who shaped and experienced the birth of the United States of America.

First let me say that I have always had a huge historical crush on John Adams ever since I saw 1776. Because of this, I see John Adams through William-Daniels-colored glasses.

I loved this book because of who was writing, and the small kernels of love and knowledge and wisdom that spoke to me. It is the style I had difficulty with.

You would think th
Laura Morriss
Nov 12, 2007 Laura Morriss rated it really liked it
My favorite thing about these letters is that you get idea that our founding fathers were actually real people with everyday problems, not one dimensional figures that you read about in high school American history textbooks. Long before John and Abigail Adams were our president and first lady, they were a lawyer and a housewife with four small children and a working farm forced into separation for the good part of a decade by John's desire to serve his fledgling country. In their letters, they ...more
Miss Lemon
Jun 03, 2016 Miss Lemon rated it really liked it
Probably not everyone's cup of tea - this are 'the' letters between Abigail and John so if you're not ready for their slow pace and if you're expecting a big plot twist:-) or a big personal revelation from one of them then avoid this book! But having said that, it is a great little book - it shows how real married people worked to keep some sort of relationship going during a crisis. So much to learn from them and I appreciate the sacrifice of their lives together that they both gave.
Melissa
Aug 07, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it
Every time I read the letters of John and Abigail Adams I am overwhelmed with the brilliance that Abigail possessed. She was a highly educated woman for her day and was a huge supporter of her husband John. He deeply respected her opinions and sought them out above any other advisor. I love that they called each other dear friend. Beautiful American documents here
Susanne
Sep 06, 2007 Susanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
I bought this after a recommendation in the most unlikely place and have been surprised by this collection of letters. Some of them are love letters, some are mere accounts of money problems/inoculations and political strife.
That is the part the gets a little tedious, because naturally...having to read the same thing again and again over the span of years, isn't the most exciting point. But you can count it as a modern person's inability to stay focussed.
Other than that...it is a highly fascinat
Benjamin
Jul 07, 2011 Benjamin rated it liked it
I finally finished this one. It was slow-going. But some parts were really cool. You get a really good insight into the character, values, and personalities of John and Abigail. I thought it was interesting to hear about Abigail's account of her domestic life during the Revolutionary War - hearing cannon fire outside, describing illnesses of family members (including how many neighbors died of disease), etc. And it was interesting to read what they wrote each other about their children. John was ...more
Brent
Feb 09, 2016 Brent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this a lot. It was like finding a time capsule from Revolutionary times.
Alice Gold
Oct 09, 2015 Alice Gold rated it really liked it
Best American power couple of all time. I love Abigail.
Noelle
Feb 23, 2009 Noelle rated it liked it
Shelves:

This is an edited collection of the letters between John and Abigail Adams. I found it very enjoyable to read their correspondence, which contains everything from political news, to home matters, and their love for each other. Some may find it tedious to read all their letters... especially if your history needs some brushing up. :) I recommend reading, "John Adams," by David McCullough first.
Amanda
Mar 08, 2015 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lit-book-club
This took a LONG TIME to read. Not as much insight into the Revolutionary War or life in the late 1700s as I had hoped. Lots of repetition to the letters, as is only human. And lots of complaining by both Abigail and John.
Becky
Apr 16, 2008 Becky rated it liked it
I found these letters very interesting and personable. In the introduction it said some 300 letters passed between John and Abigail during 1774 and 1783. This is a great legacy of love left for their descendants. I enjoyed reading these letters and found them to be both romantic as well as historically important.
Elpheaba
Jan 04, 2009 Elpheaba rated it it was amazing
Dearest friend, I cannot begin to tell you how wonderful this book is. It is a story of love and friendship of the deepest kind. The kind that knows all your faults and loves you for them not despite them. A fascinating look a founding mother, and that guy she married too.
Leggings Are Never Pants
For a required history text, this was actually rather entertaining and enjoyable. The personalities of John & Abigail Adams shine brilliantly as they explain their lives to one another during the era surrounding the founding of the United States.
Collin
Jul 23, 2008 Collin rated it liked it
Recommended to Collin by: school
I didn't really enjoy this book very much. That's why I only gave it three stars. It probably would've been better if I had actually been interested in John Adams, but I'm just not. No offence to people who are.
Riki
Nov 14, 2008 Riki rated it it was ok
I was really looking forward to this book, having seen the miniseries on HBO, but found myself constantly referring to the endnotes to make sense of what they were talking about. It was tedious.
Lorri
Apr 29, 2012 Lorri rated it it was amazing
Read a review. Found it at the library and totally loved it. Inspired me to look for other books written in epistolary fashion. Certainly makes me value a hand written note or letter.
Susan Gardner
Jan 25, 2013 Susan Gardner rated it it was amazing
One of the most evocative and interesting collections of letters, full of insights on their times as well as their relationship. To be read and savored more than once.
Anthony
Second reading of this amazing book. History unfolds through their letters as well as their relationship, Imagine if they had texting !!!!!!
Rosalyn Fradel
A great read! You feel like you are right there while they are experiencing the birth of our nation!
Larry
Jan 28, 2008 Larry rated it it was amazing
Remarkable correspondence between two remarkable people.
Marion Zola
Nov 06, 2012 Marion Zola rated it it was amazing
Requisite for anyone interested in American history.
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Marjorie Mcmahon
Marjorie Mcmahon marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Cheryl Johnson
Cheryl Johnson marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Zachary
Zachary marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
  • Adams-Jefferson Letters
  • Dearest Friend: A Life of Abigail Adams
  • In Tearing Haste: Letters Between Deborah Devonshire and Patrick Leigh Fermor
  • Abigail Adams: Witness to a Revolution
  • Abigail Adams: A Biography
  • Selected Letters
  • John Adams: A Life
  • Born on a Mountaintop: On the Road with Davy Crockett and the Ghosts of the Wild Frontier
  • Mozart: A Life in Letters
  • London Journal, 1762-1763
  • Talleyrand
  • Voltaire in Love
  • Women of the Republic: Intellect and Ideology in Revolutionary America
  • In Ishmael's House: A History of Jews in Muslim Lands
  • Journals and Letters
  • Covered Wagon Women: Diaries and Letters from the Western Trails, 1840-1849 (Covered Wagon Women, #1)
  • The Letters of Noel Coward
  • Benjamin Franklin
Abigail Adams (née Smith) was the wife of John Adams, the second President of the United States and the mother of John Quincy Adams the sixth, and is seen as the first Second Lady of the United States and the second First Lady of the United States though the terms were not coined until after her death.

Adams is remembered today for the many letters she wrote to her husband while he stayed in Philad
More about Abigail Adams...

“If particular care and attention is not paid to the ladies, we are determined to foment a rebellion, and will not hold ourselves bound by any laws in which we have no voice or representation.” 1444 likes
“The longer I live, the more I read, the more patiently I think, and the more anxiously I inquire, the less I seem to know...Do justly. Love mercy. Walk humbly. This is enough.” 134 likes