Start by marking “Charlie in a Red Dress” as Want to Read:
Charlie in a Red Dress

Charlie in a Red Dress

When Charlie agrees to go to a Halloween keg party as the “girlfriend” half of a boyfriend-and-girlfriend costume with his best friend, Jeff, he has no idea what he’s signing up for. The night of the party, Jeff’s older sister tweezes, squeezes, and transforms Charlie into Charli, a curvy, curly-haired brunette in a flare-skirted red dress. The shoes are hell, but the ...more
Published May 8th 2014 by Hela Press (first published May 5th 2014)

Loederkoningin
What a lovely feel-good read!

Having just read Games Boys Play by the same author, I was curious to discover how her other works would compare. And in Charlie in a Red Dress, the fun she has writing is, again, palpable. Where Games Boys Play had a bit of an edge, this 50 pages short story is your typical GFY, that leaves you feeling warm and fuzzy.

Jeff and Charlie have been friends for years, the kind that play video games together in the basement. A Halloween party, that the two decide to attend
Sunny
I really liked this story. Even in the beginning, when I was a bit skeptical that Charlie would get so into the experience without more introspection/reflection. I wanted to know more about what he thought of it, how he felt about it. I loved the hints we get about Jeff's feelings, though. And when they do start talking...wow. The wanting, the confusion, and the introspection that finally made an appearance, all made for an intense scene that was so well done.

What if the whole world had fucked i
Trix
Oct 22, 2014 Trix rated it really liked it
Recommended to Trix by: Loederkoningin
Wow! Give me a minute to pick my jaw off the floor. Best cross-dressing story I've read so far. Just shy of 5 stars for this.

(view spoiler)
Ann
May 26, 2014 Ann rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ann by: Justin
Awwwww, I loved this.

Also, I am Charlie when I have to get dressed up anymore. It sure feels all pretty and what not and I totally understood this,

"I felt completely graceful - as long as I wasn't fucking moving. Then I felt like a cow on stilts."

Sing it my friend, so true.

Reading Charlie's transformation to Charli-with-an-I was humorous and enlightening and so well done. I loved the connection between he and Jeff and how they totally embraced the boyfriend-girlfriend thing.

This story did mostl
Vivian
May 23, 2014 Vivian rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-contemp
Sweet, coming of age and figuring out your sexuality story. Would have been happier with a little less of the prep time chatter, but cute with just a bit of angst.

Favorite quote:
“Deluded into thinking there’s something wrong with you, that you’re somehow fucked in the head and unfixable and all you can do is fucking pretend you’re like everyone else because the world’s made it pretty fucking clear that what you’re attracted to is fucked up.”
Alicia J
May 29, 2015 Alicia J rated it really liked it
I adored this sweet story between Jeff & Charlie/Charli. My only wish was that it was longer so we could see how they grew into being a couple. This was more than about cross-dressing. The characters explored the ideas of gender and the different ways people can express it. It was a gorgeous little story that made me smile on my lunch hour.
Veronica /  V
May 19, 2014 Veronica / V rated it liked it
What a shame that this story started so lovely and cute, the set up was terrific and when you expected a great ending, it was lame, boring and rushed. Great potential though.
Macky

Control hose: Check

Red dress: Check

Long curly wig: Check

Jewellery: Check

Red ankle strap high heels: Check

This is pretty much the routine we girls go through (give or take a couple of details) every time we get ready to go paint the town red and we probably don't think twice about each
Rachel
May 17, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this up until around the end of the story…I just didn't really like the dialogue and how it was resolved by the end. Still, this was a cute set up, just the overall execution didn't fully work for me.
Mandi
May 17, 2014 Mandi rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-mm
3.5 stars. Enjoyed this one alot until almost the end. (view spoiler)
Joyfully Jay
Jun 21, 2014 Joyfully Jay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: angi
A Joyfully Jay review.

This story was not at all what I expected—in the best way possible. From the summary, I was thinking I’d get some good kink and at least a HFN ending, and if I was lucky, I’d get some great kink with a great ending. This book is so, so much more than that. Men in women’s clothing (for any reason) is one of my favorite kinks, but unlike a lot of my other favorite kinks and tropes, it’s not something I can enjoy no matter what. This kink, for me, has to be handled
Donna
May 17, 2014 Donna rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, love-bytes
Well, the title says it all doesn’t it. This is a story about a young man named Charlie who, one night, finds himself decked out as a woman in a red dress. Poor Charlie has no idea what he’s gotten himself into. Please don’t let the subject matter turn you off. I know a boy in a dress is not my usual reading material but I definitely recommend giving this one a shot.

My review of Charlie in a Red Dress can be found at Love Bytes
Elci
Jul 10, 2014 Elci rated it liked it
So many unanswered questions remained at the end. I found the fact that Charlie was ready to make changes because of one night very improbable. It would have been great to see the evolution of the relationship.
Yummy
Dec 28, 2014 Yummy rated it really liked it
it was a nice story though i wished it were a bigger one. I always feel a bit unsatisfied when the stories are a few pages :). i want to know more peeps :D write bigger stories.
Karen
May 07, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
I actually impulsivly accepted this book for review thinking it was by another author I had worked with before. But since I agreed to review it I was all in and decided to give it a go even though it was waaaay out of my comfort zone and I'm happy to say I really enjoyed Charlie in a Red Dress.

What starts out as silly Halloween night costume party outing, turns into a life changing event for best friends & roomates, Charlie and Jeff.

The story touches on a few issues such as how men treat wo
Yue
Not what I was expecting. Starts really well, I love Charlie and his thoughts and how he was invested in the cross-dressing. I mean, this was a cross-dressing all the way, from waxing (all body hair + eyebrows) to an entire female outfit. I loved it.

The party was good, I liked how sweet and protective Jeff was with "Charli". There was some weird dialogues, especially when their "date" was coming to an end, which was a turn off for me. Charlie has always been straight, and out of nowhere he ends
Teetee
May 19, 2014 Teetee rated it it was amazing
I try to reserve five star ratings for those books that absolutely blow me away. Does not mean the book it technically perfect or will have the same effect on another reader, but for me, this book is a gem!

The book isn’t terribly long, but the slow build up at the start of the book, where Charlie begins his transformation; beginning to shed some of his masculinity, and the way his roommate/best friend begins to get more involved in the process was just lovely. Nothing so obvious; just little tou
Anke
May 11, 2014 Anke rated it liked it
Just finished and I'm conflicted about this story. I really, really liked the whole set-up. And the getting-ready-for-the-Halloween-Party was done very well. I loved Charlie's voice, totally could imagine him there, in the bathroom. Then also the party, very well done. Still a very gripping read. And I really loved the development near the end of the evening, it was clear where they were heading :) but then it started to lose me. The dialogue during their night was just odd. Couldn't fo
BWT (Belen)
Jan 02, 2016 BWT (Belen) rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-fiction, 2015
2.5 Stars

Though there were parts of this I liked, ultimately I felt like too much was not explained.

Jeff has had an attraction to transvestites forever and I just didn't buy Charlie, his best friend since childhood and roommate, had been so blind to his friend's desires.

I also didn't really understand how quickly Charlie was okay with also being Charli on occasion just so he wouldn't lose Jeff.

I mean it was a only few hours of introspection and Charlie's all, "Hey, I liked wearing the dress, so
rodeoclown
"We weren't ourselves, but we were comfortable enough with each other to be not-ourselves together."

Heavenly, from the chubby main character and their amused inner monologue to the stoic "boyfriend" whose tears at the end made me tear up as well. A pivotal interlude/evening both between two people and between those two people and their selves. So much showing and so little telling. And yeah this is how you write sex between two real people who have feelings for each other. That's pretty hot too.
Leaundra
May 17, 2014 Leaundra rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, it was sweet and man when they got together hot! I liked how they got together it seem easy and worked for them. Charlie had to work out some things out but it wasn't heavy. I would love to know what they're up to now. This is my first book by this author, and I see she has more so I'm going to have to check them out ;-)
Liz (Bugetta)
This was well written and a different take on the "gay for you" trope. Also my first book about crossdressing. I really liked the first half, but things felt really rushed at the end and I wanted more of how the two guys negotiated their new relationship (there was a time jump :-/). Still recommended though!
Vicky
Jun 29, 2014 Vicky rated it really liked it
It's cute! But I'm not sure if it's really a romance. (They ended up together but it's kinda out of the blue. They were good friends, sure there was love between them. But romantic love? I don't think so.)
Erin
Nov 10, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
What a delightful read! I loved the premise and the execution was wow. Just good. The transformation physically from Charlie to Charli was well told. The transformation in his head was even better. Overall, I loved Jeff and Charlie together and I enjoyed the little peek into their relationship.
Onyx
Not really what I was expecting and a bit too sweet for my taste, but, a fun little story nonetheless.
Diane
Jul 21, 2016 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Teach Me

I loved all the 'new to me' ideas presented in this book. It opened so many avenues that I'd never even thought about.
Margaret Foxe
Tons of fun and totally off the beaten path. Recommended for those who want something short, hot and quinky (a cross between quirky and kinky).
Pamela Su
Apr 08, 2016 Pamela Su rated it really liked it
Adorable story. Sweet and fluffy, just the way I like it. I love cross dressing romances. It is nice there are more these days.
Elith
Elith rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2014
A Meneses
A Meneses rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2016
  • The Frat Brat
  • Falling Away
  • There Are Gay People Everywhere
  • Dirty Vlogger
  • Straight Shooter (Rear Entrance Video, #3)
  • Bodies in Space
  • No Homo
  • Right Hand Red
  • Pain (Darwin's Theory, #1)
  • Sub Zero (An ESTO Universe Novel)
  • Waiting for the Right Boy
  • It's Like This

“When he stepped back, I cradled the cups so my moobs spilled into them, and said, “I don’t even need the implants.”

“For the zillionth time,” Lydia said, “they’re not ‘implants.’ We’re not performing surgery here, though if you use that word one more time, I might be tempted to get out an X-acto knife and make your wish come true.”

I clasped the bra closer to my chest.”
0 likes