Start by marking “The Silence of the Stars (Stars, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Silence of the Stars (Stars, #2)

The Silence of the Stars (Stars #2)

A Spin-off of The Stars that Tremble

Sandy Sullivan has gotten so good at covering up his emotions, he’s waiting for someone to hand him an Oscar. On the outside, he’s a cheerful, funny guy, but his good humor is the only thing keeping awful memories from his army tours in Afghanistan at bay. Worse, Sandy is now adrift after breaking up with the only man who ever understoo
Published May 30th 2014 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about The Silence of the Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silence of the Stars

Facing the Music by Sue HolstonAmerican Love Songs by Ashlyn KaneConquest by S.J. FrostCatch My Breath by M.J. O'SheaPerfect Imperfections by Cardeno C.
M/M with musician MC(s)
161st out of 164 books — 122 voters
Love is a Stranger by John  WiltshireThe Mating of Michael by Eli EastonSilent by Sara AlvaThis is Not a Love Story by Suki FleetMonsters under the Bed by Susan Laine
2014 Rainbow Awards
57th out of 100 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~

Sandy is Mike's BFF from book 1. He's a contractor hired to remodel Everette's kitchen. Everette, who just broke up with a long-term boyfriend, is a friend of Gio's (now engaged to Mike). Ev is a violinist and comes from a cultured, educated, well-off family. Ev is Upper East Side Manhattan. Sandy is not.

This book can be read as a standalone. Mike and Gio are around, but the plot mostly revolves around Sandy's PTSD. Sandy is an Army vet. He doesn't think he has PTSD, but he received a
Chris, the Dalek King
“That is the one thing I kind of miss about the desert. It was so clear you could always see the stars at night.”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah. And stars, you know, they’re always quiet. There were nights when I’d just go outside to get away from everyone, because once the sun went down, it wasn’t so stiflingly hot. I’d just look at the stars. I found their silence comforting.”

I really liked the first book in this series, The Stars that Tremble, so I was happy to see that a sequel, with Mike’s friend Sandy as
Lauraadriana
Jun 03, 2014 Lauraadriana rated it really liked it
Kate McMurray does something in her books that I love. She mixes culture, setting and characters in a way that make her stories rich and interesting every single time. This book, a spin off The Stars the Tremble, is a beautiful love story of two men who have been not been able to find what they are looking for. Sandy and Everett in each other not only find love, but they find ways to heal, so that they can build the life they always wanted.

Kate’s book always appeal to me because she writes about
Jenni
Aug 18, 2016 Jenni rated it liked it
Shelves: meh, biob, arc
If a damaged former/current soldier is involved, so am I. Does that mean I occasionally get my heart broken when a military-themed book doesn't live up to my internal hype? Dang it, yes.

Silence of the Stars is a spinoff of The Stars that Tremble (which I haven’t read), but it definitely works as a standalone—I wasn't confused about any characters, and I didn't feel like I was missing anything major while I was reading.

Sadly, it was just an okay read for me. The writing was okay, I guess, but th
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Audiobook provided by the publisher through Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words in exchange for an impartial review.

Everett Blake is a successful concert violinist who holds a teaching position at Olcott School for talented young musicians in Manhattan and occasionally accepts a short stint with a local symphony since performing is a part of his life he truly loves. He’s recently been cast off by his long term partner, Pierre, a French Chef who landed his own cooking show. A perfectionist, Pierr
Sadonna
Oct 14, 2014 Sadonna rated it really liked it
Lovely lovely story :) I really liked Sandy from the previous book, The Stars that Tremble. Even though we see Mike and Gio and Emma in this book, it's really Sandy's story.

Sandy meets Everett when the Brooklyn division of the company (which Sandy is running now) takes the job of renovating Everett's kitchen. Everett has just come out of a long-term relationship. He is on the faculty of the Olcott school where Gio teaches which is how he knew about Mike's company.

Everett is really attracted to
Rick
Jun 15, 2014 Rick rated it it was amazing
LOVED IT!!!!
multitaskingmomma
Original Blog Post: http://www.multitaskingmommas.com/201...

Kate McMurray's Stars Series is a beautiful and quite musical romance that tells the love stories of two best friends. The first book is about Mike and him being romanced by one Gio Boca. The second is about Sandy, Mike's best buddy, and him being romanced by one Everett Blake.

The story of Mike and Gio sets the pace of the series. Mike's daughter, Emma, a child he adopted with his then partner Evan, is discovered to be a musical prodig
Anke
Jul 07, 2014 Anke rated it really liked it
This was a nice, engaging read. I haven't read book #1, but that didn't matter. I liked how Everett and Sandy met, started dating and got to know each other, how Sandy started working on his problems. I thought, two minor problems/doubts were blown out of proportion to create some drama, which wasn't necessary. But that didn't take away from my reading fun. There was a satisfying happy ending with a very good epilogue.
The Novel Approach Reviews
Jul 01, 2014 The Novel Approach Reviews rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

The Silence of the Stars is a ‘spin-off’ of The Stars That Tremble. I’m not sure of the differentiation between spin-off and sequel, but there you have it. We are introduced in more detail to Sandy Sullivan, Mike’s childhood friend from the first book. Sandy works as a contractor for Mike’s home remodeling business and is hired to remodel Everett Blake’s horrible orange monstrosity of a kitchen. Everett just came out of a long-term relationship. He is a professor at the school where Gio
Tina Marie
Jun 27, 2014 Tina Marie rated it really liked it
The Silence of the Stars is a 'spin-off' of The Stars That Tremble. I'm not sure of the differentiation between spin-off and sequel, but there you have it. We are introduced in more detail to Sandy Sullivan, Mike's childhood friend from the first book . Sandy works as a contractor for Mike's home remodeling business and is hired to remodel Everett Blake's horrible orange monstrosity of a kitchen. Everett just came out of a long-term relationship. He is a professor at the school where Gio (now ...more
LiveYourLife BuyTheBook
Jun 10, 2014 LiveYourLife BuyTheBook rated it really liked it
4 Stars
A "Live Your Life, Buy The Book" Review

Sandy Sullivan was just supposed to remodel Everett Blake’s kitchen. Both men were incredibly attracted to the other but failed to act. Surprisingly, Everett, the shy violinist stepped up and asked Sandy out for a drink. After going to a gay bar both men realized that yes, they were both gay and both interested. Unfortunately, neither man has realized the other is actually looking for a long term relationship. Everett is not a casual dater and never
T. Smith
Aug 03, 2016 T. Smith rated it it was amazing
Sandy Sullivan loves his job working in construction and renovating houses, he's even bought his own fixer upper to work on. The former military man still faces some demons left over from his time in the service, specifically time spent in Afghanistan. Plagued by nightmares and symptoms of PTSD, Sandy deals with the episodes and dreams the best he can. He's been single for a while since he broke up with his ex because the man thought Sandy needed to be "fixed". But his latest job is about to ...more
Morgan  Skye
Jul 18, 2016 Morgan Skye rated it liked it
To start – I did not read The Stars That Tremble, but I’m told that’s okay.

Sandy is suffering from PTSD, now working with a buddy as a decorator, mostly outgoing and loving life, but having a hard time dealing with the demons he saw in the war.

Everett is coming off a broken heart, his famous ex has moved on and he’s now focusing on his new career and a new residence.

The two are immediately attracted and begin an affair, but it isn’t an easy road.

Sandy doesn’t want to deal with the PTSD he denies
UnusualChild{beppy}
synopsis: sandy has been out of the army for 7 years and has nightmares on a regular basis, but he doesn't want to admit that he has ptsd. he starts a new contract remodeling everett's kitchen, and the attraction is there. as they start to date, they come up against obstacles in each other's lives (ptsd, whether or not they want a family) and work things through.

what i liked: i liked that the characters talked to each other and sought help when they needed it. they didn't run away when things go
Tj
Dec 22, 2014 Tj rated it really liked it
My library added The Silence of the Stars during a recent buying spree and I am so glad they did. This is lovely warm book. With all the holiday madness, reading this book was great way to unwind.

Kate McMurray blended blue collar/military with upper class/classic music. It was a great paring. Both characters where in their 30s and had issues but both acted like adults and worked through those issues to form a family. It is warm charming read.
Calila
Such a great romance, loved this so much. Really little angst, and just a pleasant read all the way through. Sandy is just so amazing, and Everett is perfect for him. The relationship paces really nicely, not too fast, not too slow. They actually TALK to each other, sure, they(Everett) may have to sit the other(Sandy) down and make him. But it works, he talks. I think Sandy's PTSD is handled great. I would gush if I knew how to say it. I just loved everything.
Meredith
Jun 03, 2014 Meredith rated it it was amazing
I loved this sequel! I had finished book 1 and was so excited The Silence of the Stars was ready to buy. I swooped it up. I actually loved Sandy and Everett MORE than Gio and Mike (And I looooooooooooved those two) I adore music but sadly I don't know a lot of music history. Kate is able to entwine knowledge, history and a romantic inspiring story into one book. These 2 books are the first I have read from this author and I am truly a fan! She's amazing. Check it out!
Ea_reader
Dec 31, 2015 Ea_reader rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-finished
Loved this book like the one before it. Sandy and Everett's story is different from but kind of similar to Gio and Mike's story - both have lots of emotion and pairs of men who at first don't seem to fit together but who are actually just right for each other. Kate McMurray's writing just works for me.
Snowtulip
Sep 20, 2014 Snowtulip rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, muscian, own
This was another solid read that was enjoyable, but did't dazzle me (seems to be how it's going with my reading lately). Sandy was one of my favorite characters from the first book, so I was very glad he found Everett. I appreciated the hidden depths of emotion that Sandy had been hiding in book one. Perfect when you need a nice, sweet read.
Enid
This is a very sweet, hurt-comfort story. I truly enjoy the the romance of it all, the music, and the overtone of overcoming-your-fears vibe. I fell in love with Sandy and Eve from page one.

I kind of skip book #1 of the series, because I downloaded this on audiobook, but I'm curious about Gio and Mike's story too. The narration was fitting.
b. binaohan
Jul 01, 2015 b. binaohan rated it did not like it
I hate gay military people and this book was largely focused on the PTSD of the veteran which makes for a 'blah' story, since who cares if a soldier feels really really bad for being an imperialist, murderer?
Kade Boehme
Aug 10, 2016 Kade Boehme rated it it was amazing
Kate McMurray, again, proving why she's my fave auto-buy. First time in a while in a book I didn't prefer one MC over another in a book. Of course I always like them both (assuming I enjoyed a book) but... I simply can't show favortism to one over the other. Just a good book.
Gwendolyn
This is the last book In this series for me. I didnt find this couple interesting or feel the chemistry.
Andrea
Jun 23, 2014 Andrea rated it really liked it
Very well written, romantic but not sappy, loveable characters and a great theme. Definitely will be reading it again.
Amanda
Really liked the first one in the series, absolutely LOVED this one. I look forward to reading what comes next.
Leisha Segboer
Leisha Segboer rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2014
Natalie
Natalie rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2016
Jan 04, 2016 Sanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, 2016
3.75
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Dreamspinner Press: The Silence of the Stars by Kate McMurray 1 6 Jun 01, 2014 01:50AM
  • The General and the Horse-Lord (The General and the Horse-Lord #1)
  • Blackbird Knitting in a Bunny's Lair (Granby Knitting #4)
  • Tuck & Cover (Rough Rangers, #1-2)
  • Bound to Break (Men of Honor, #6)
  • Recovery (Salvage Stories, #2)
  • Love Means... Patience (Farm, #7)
  • Semper Fi
  • Conquer the Flames (Lang Downs #4)
  • Only Love (Only Love #1)
  • The Final Line (Recon Diaries #3)
  • Riding Tall (The Fall, #2)
  • Strong Enough (Family, #2)
  • Blue-Eyed Soul
  • Northern Star
  • Gasp!
  • On the Right Track (Vocal Growth, #1)
  • Guarded (Guarded, #1)
  • The Return (The Austin Trilogy, #2)
Kate McMurray is a nonfiction editor. Also, she is crafty (mostly knitting and sewing, but she also wields power tools), she plays the violin, and she dabbles in various other pursuits. She’s maybe a tiny bit obsessed with baseball. She lives in Brooklyn, NY, with a presumptuous cat.
More about Kate McMurray...

Stars (2 books)
  • The Stars that Tremble (Stars, #1)