Start by marking “Hate: A Love Story” as Want to Read:

Roses are red,
Violets are blue.
Life can be messy,
And love can be too.

Most people say that it’s not important where you’re going, but instead, how you get there.

Unfortunately for me, the journey to love was absolutely agonizing. Love and Hate wrestled with my life day after day, year after year, and the only way to stop it was to let one of them win.

Which one?

I fought to lo
Published October 11th 2014

To ask other readers questions about Hate, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Jasmine
2 TRIGGER STARS

"To be in love...It's powerful and completely debilitating all at the same time. It's ecstasy and agony, and it's one of the single most terrifying feelings in the world."

I swear that these days all the books are on a mission to deceive me with their pretty covers, eye-catching titles (look at how interestingly ironic this one was!) and promising blurbs. Why why why?!

Honestly I'm so wiped out after a day's work to be even writing a review but then I look at this book and remi
lizparker
Dec 05, 2014 lizparker rated it it was ok
this title is very appropriate for this story. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but (there is always a but) it just left me with a few things I didn't like. I do recommend reading the book and judging for yourself. I'm not hating on it, because overall it was good, but like I say below, I had some issues with a few things.

#1. I don't like my characters being in love with two people. To me, and my experiences, this is not possible. I know this is not for everyone, but to define romantic love as th
Laurel Curtis
Mar 18, 2015 Laurel Curtis rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Hate: A Love Story is on sale.
For the FIRST. TIME. EVER.
Regularly $3.99, for a limited time you can have it in your hot little hands for only $0.99!

Amazon US: http://amzn.to/1Gj92f2
Amazon UK: http://amzn.to/1uYweM7
Amazon CA: http://amzn.to/1o6A59o
Barnes&Noble: http://bit.ly/1vjnJN5
Kobo is coming, but it takes longer!

Hate: A Love Story is LIVE!

Amazon US: http://amzn.to/ZlH81W
Amazon UK: http://amzn.to/1uYweM7
Amazon AU: http://bit.ly/ZA30H5
Amazon CA: http://amzn.to/1o6A59o
Barnes&Noble: htt
Farah *Professor Dean's Beauty*
A sweet book where two childhood friends are the best of friends and one has to watch the love of her life love her other best friend.

Then tragedy happens with a whole lot of bad stuff and Whitney looses her best friend in in the process...

Now years later... They find their way back to each other with the help of an awesome grandmother.

A really really sweet book!
Anna
Feb 17, 2015 Anna rated it liked it
I love when my beZzles finds an Anna book .... While perusing for Fifty clips lol
Gitte & Jenny - TotallyBookedBlog
Oct 17, 2014 Gitte & Jenny - TotallyBookedBlog rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014

J&G: 4.5 Stars

“Go after life. Do it every day, every minute, every single moment. Don’t hold anything back.”

B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L! Well once again we entered into a story not knowing anything about it and once again we hit the jackpot. The thrill of reading is all about the unraveling of the story as it unfolds, of almost walking in the characters shoes and living each moment with them, sharing their emotions and feelings and that certainly was the case with Hate: A Love Story. What unfolded
Tessa Teevan
Oct 09, 2014 Tessa Teevan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
I hate roller coasters, the twisting and turning, stomach churning, the fear of what may happen.

Yet I love the anticipation, the nervous tingling, the breath taking, heart racing, emotion swirling way they take you to your highest highs and the lowest lows, only to end on the most magnificent high.

Hate: A Love Story is one hell of a roller coaster. And while I hate the damn things, I sure as hell loved this one.

Full review to come :)
❃**✿【Yasmine】✿**❃
DNF.

Not a love/hate story, but a FMF triangle. The nature of the story wasn't for me.
Amy
Dec 05, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 4.5 Stars

Hate: A Love Story was very well written. I adored the friendship between Blane, Whitney, and Franny. They were very easy to connect with and understand the issues that they had to face. This book dealt with some very tough situations and I think the author did an excellent job handling them.

One of my favorite characters in this story had to be Gram. She was a riot! She was old, grumpy and just told you how it was. She had no filter at all. And I loved the advice she wou
Diana
Oct 06, 2015 Diana rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

I don't know what all the fuss is about. I was apprehensive going into this book because I read some reviews where people were so upset about a f/m/f love triangle. First of all, we read love triangles all the time, and why is it acceptable for a woman to be torn between two men and not a man in love with two women?

Calm down gifs photo: Bad Girls Club giphy1_zpsdf4254ae.gif

Secondly, I don't even really think this was a love triangle. I believe both of the main characters loved each other all along, and because of unwillingness on the heroine'
Kelli Spear
There are times when you find a book – a true gem, a rarity in this book world that is over-saturated with the typical stories of bad boys and virginal girls, and be completely blown away. When I signed up to review Hate, I had no idea what it was about. I simply liked the cover. Its simplicity drew me in. There was no ‘sexy couple’ featured, or a man with well-defined abs. It was just a pretty purple, and had hands holding a cracked heart. It made me curious. What would I find inside?

The answer
Brittany L.
This book, hands down the best book I’ve ever read. My absolute FAVORITE.

Ever. Like in my whole entire life!

Words cannot express the connection I am feeling with this book. I am a lover of all books, but this book was different. I have never loved a book, its characters, and their love story as soon or as much as I did this one.

GeekInPink
The author was kind enough to give me the opportunity and privilege to read the advance reading copy of Hate: A Love Story for an honest review.

A NeeNee and Elbow 5 gold star

From the start I had butterflies and cramps in my stomach, I don't know why, don't ask me but I just had this feeling that this one was going to tear my heart and soul into kazillion pieces and I'd need glue to put myself back together. And trust me on this guys, I DID NOT REGRET ONE SINGLE MOMENT OF IT.

This is a story of fr
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
Oct 16, 2014 Jenny - TotallybookedBlog rated it really liked it

J&G: 4.5 Stars

Donna ~ The Romance Cover
Dec 06, 2014 Donna ~ The Romance Cover rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-review
4.5 stars!! Emotional!! OMG I loved this one, such a beautiful friends to lovers story, it may have took a long time to get there but the journey was incredible. Angsty and emotional perfectly balanced with a huge dollop of wit. I would be bawling one minute and laughing the next. I loved Gram. (Full review to come)
Jessica *The Lovely Books*
Oct 07, 2014 Jessica *The Lovely Books* rated it it was amazing
Excuse me while I go cry and cry on my bed. Happy tears, sad tears, just tears of all emotions. This was beautiful! It broke my heart, it healed it, it broke it again...

My full review will be up soon. Make sure to mark this book down!
Candy at Prisoners of Print
Jun 13, 2016 Candy at Prisoners of Print rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Aside from raving reviews from some of my closest advisors, I had no idea what to expect when I picked up Hate: A Love Story. What I ended up finding inside was anything but hate, and so many dynamics that I love, love, loved! Laurel Ulen Curtis has put a twist on a second chance, friends to lovers romance, giving it a refreshing feel. This standalone was a complete breath of fresh air and I’m certainly kicking myself for not picking it up sooner.

I saw so much of myself in the heroine, Whitney,
Kathy V
Oct 12, 2014 Kathy V rated it really liked it
This book was 4.5 heartfelt stars for me. Although it dealt with many difficult topics this book was written in true Laurel Ulen Curtis Style. She writes with a touch of humor that is hard to come by. Gram stole the show for me in this book. I loved her and she brought a lightness to some of the hardships that otherwise would have been difficult to read. There were tons of ups and downs and emotions felt while reading Hate: A Love Story. To me that is a measure of true success in a book. I want ...more
M. Mabie
Oct 05, 2014 M. Mabie rated it it was amazing
What a beautifully haunting story of love and family. Every character was complete. Every page perfect. I loved this bittersweet romance.
Kim
Oct 12, 2014 Kim rated it it was amazing
"No bottle is big enough for human emotion. Love, hate, anger, happiness, and deep melancholy. Each one exists for a reason. Emotion is real. It's meant to be released. It's meant to be lived."

Whitney and Blane met as young teens forging a strong connection witty rapport, and unwavering loyalty. A couple of years later, a third friend, Franny joined their crew and changed their dynamic a little but they were still all best friends, all supportive, and cared deeply.

But one choice caused a rift. A
Dottie
Oct 15, 2014 Dottie rated it it was amazing
I received a free ARC from the author in exchange for an unbiased review.
I went into this book already loving Laurel Ulen Curtis' work. I've enjoyed her other books and often laughed so hard I could barely see the pages through tears of laughter. This is not one of those books.
This book is, at times, very difficult to read. It is heart-breaking (more than once) and hits you hard in the heart. That being said, it is one of the very best books I've read in years and a book I will carry with me o
Katrina Jay
First let me get the pleasantries out of the way. I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. Now that those are out of the way let me get on with it.

5 Emotional Roller Coaster Stars

Holy wow! The journey and roller coaster ride that Laurel takes you on is one of tears and tons of laughter. Just when you think the story is going to take a turn for the super sentimental Gram pipes up and says something that just makes you smile and then laugh and I mean belly laugh.

Whitn
Becky
Oct 13, 2015 Becky rated it it was amazing
Is it wrong to say Gram was my favorite character?!

“Be you. Be honest. Be interesting. Always. That’s what I call the ‘Triple Bs’. And guess what?”
“What, Gram?”
“A smart man likes those Triple Bs even better than Triple Ds.”

Full review to come.
Nancy❤The❤Bookaholic

~~5 HEARTS~~

WOW! This book bulldozed through all my emotions. Just when I thought it's given me it's worse, it comes out and stabs me in the feels again. I like that it was so realistic and incorporated real live events where anybody can relate to the emotions attached to it. I love that you get to read of a love story that wasn't all sugar and spice and all things nice. This story just pulls you in and once it gets a hold of your attention it doesn't let up.

You get the story of how Whitney &
Amy
Mar 03, 2015 Amy rated it it was amazing
Okay, so here's the latest gem that I'm going to recommend to all my book buddies. This book is so good. Forget the torturous love story between Whitney and Blane. Read this book for Gram! She is awesome!! Not only is she one of the funniest damn characters I've ever read, she is also the wisest. I fell in love with her. This story is so heartbreakingly unique. I've never read anything like it. What Whitney and Blane go through, their journeys will send you reeling. And I don't think that I've ...more
Linda~True Blood Diaries
Oct 12, 2014 Linda~True Blood Diaries rated it it was amazing
Touching and Honest, Definitely a Tearjerker!

Love is not easy, this story written honestly and beautifully by Laurel Ulen Curtis is one such story.The title confused me so much when I started reading this book, but as I delved in it made perfect sense.

Whitney is a young woman after my own heart, strong, independent and speaks her mind, a lot. She moved through life and school avoiding the ordinary, but one day the extraordinary forced his way into her life. Blane became a huge part in Whitney di
Jen
Apr 17, 2015 Jen rated it it was amazing
Diane
Feb 02, 2015 Diane rated it it was amazing
I loved it!
It was well written.
It was witty.
It was heart wrenching.
And the story line was surprising.
So glad that I randomly picked this one from my tbr pile.
Teri Beth
Oct 23, 2014 Teri Beth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, favorites-2014
My review is part of Lives and Breathes's Four Point Review of Hate: A Love Story.

ARC provided by author

I want to hate the hurt my heart went through reading this, but I can’t. The hurt was worth it. Hate: A Love Story is heartbreaking, but it’s also heartwarming and witty. It made me FEEL more than I ever expected, more than a book has made me feel in a very long time. Hate is an honest and real story of friendship, family, love, loss, and forgiveness. It touches on several very serious subjec
  • Finding Willow (Freedom, #0.5)
  • This Way to the Sugar
  • Recitatif
  • Shipwrecked Summer
  • Stupid Love (Stupid in Love, #3)
  • Wicked Dix (Hard Love Romance, #2)
  • Black Diamond (Stark Springs Academy #1)
  • Happily Ever After: A Day in the Life of the HEA (Rook and Ronin, #3.5)
  • The New Rule (The Casual Rule #2)
  • through infinity (Forever and a Day #1)
  • No One Like You (Barefoot William, #4)
  • All Blues (All, #3.5)
  • Heartwood (Carved Hearts, #3)
  • Damaged Goods (The Outsider Chronicles, #2)
  • A Kiss Like This (Kiss & Make Up, #3)
  • Wreckless
  • Leave a Mark
  • Beyond the Horizon
Laurel Ulen Curtis is a 28 year old mother of one. She lives with her husband and son (and cat!) in New Jersey, but grew up all over the United States. She graduated from Rutgers University in 2009 with a Bachelor of Science in Meteorology, and puts that to almost no use other than forecasting for her friends! She has a passion for her family, laughing, and reading and writing Romance novels. Oh, ...more
More about Laurel Ulen Curtis...

“You’ll never appreciate something you’re given as much as something you’ve earned.” 10 likes
“I wanted someone who let me be me, and because we fit so well, I could just let him be him.” 9 likes