Start by marking “Bartender, PI” as Want to Read:
Bartender, PI

Bartender, PI

When hockey star Linc Carpenter is banned from playing his beloved sport, he starts over slinging drinks in Tampa. He’s inept as a bartender, so when the opportunity arises to train as a private investigator he takes it. He’s not very good at that either, but he still manages to get hired to follow fashion mogul Quentin Faulkner. While Linc’s incompetence proves to be a ...more
Published May 2nd 2014 by Stone Publishing (first published April 13th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Bartender, PI, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bartender, PI

Tell Me It's Real by T.J. KluneShattered Glass by Dani AlexanderThe Lightning-Struck Heart by T.J. KluneMuscling Through by J.L. MerrowI'll Be Your Drill, Soldier by Crystal Rose
Funniest M/M romances
222nd out of 226 books — 350 voters
Him by Sarina BowenThe Understatement of the Year by Sarina BowenUs by Sarina BowenBreakaway by Avon GaleHome and Away by Samantha Wayland
Best M/M Hockey Romances
87th out of 93 books — 130 voters

More lists with this book...

Ami
This one is pretty hilarious -- I love how Linc (as described in the blurb) is not 'the sharpest tool in the shed'. It's so funny to read about him planning all those devious plan, from Plan A to Plan E *grin* to try to get an incriminating photos of Quentin and his latest squeeze. Some of the humor feels repetitive after awhile, so I guess it's good to know that it's only a novella length.

The twist is SMART. I totally don't see it coming. However, I'm a bit annoyed with how Linc and Brady execu
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Jan 08, 2013 Mandy*reads obsessively* rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mandy*reads obsessively* by: Anke, the sweetie! :)
Ok, how to review this?
It's funny and cute and not to be taken seriously ( IMO) if you can just check reality at the first page and go along for the ride,it's a fun one! Almost like a sitcom for books! that left me with a smile on my face and tons of bad metaphors in my brain! LOL
Linc took a bit to grow once but once he did I loved him, Brady is a sweetheart, with the patience of a saint!
Thanks again to Anke! :)
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Warning: If you have not read my other reviews and don’t know what peeves me then you shouldn’t read this. If you do read this but don’t really know me than don’t use it to decide whether not to read the book … and as always this is just my opinion.
`~~`

I hated the beginning of this. Like completely hated, so if you have similar tastes as me skip the prologue and first two chapters. It’s a simple story and you won’t miss anything by skipping them. I’ll spoiler them for you if you’re curious but I
Vio
Adorably funny! Linc is so unassuming a gentle honest guy who tries his best he really does but he can't quite seem to get things right being a PI is a tough job lol. Lots of fun to be had this was a very entertaining romance/caper! I was chuckling out loud at the oddest moments and in sheer disbelief at some of the words that came out of Linc's mouth hilarious stuff. Lighthearted cute story and just the right pick me up.

Love this quote....

"And you think he's going to meet with his paramount?" "
Td
Apr 23, 2012 Td rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, light-and-easy
Frackin' hilarious! Keeping up with Linc's train of thought and deciphering "Linc-ese" was too much fun. Quotes, there were lots!

"Are we becoming friends or something" Brady said. "I don't want to talk about Mexico. Sit on the bed."
"Sorry, I just tend to be a bit curious."
"You know what curiosity did to the cat."
"No, I don't. What cat?"
"Are you fucking with me?"
"Ummm," I replied. "I don't think so."
He looked at me for a minute. "It's an old saying - curiosity killed the cat."
"Killed what cat? Ho
Anke
Apr 16, 2012 Anke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comfort-reads
This was so frackin' funny! I enjoyed the whole book very much, at times laughing out loud and getting questioning looks from the family. Linc's voice was quite unique and I would love to read more of him:)
♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)
It's Funny Haha!

This book was exactly what I wanted. Lately I seem to gravitate toward the stories with litte-to-no sex in them. Why? Because there's more STORY in those books. Bartender, PI pretty much has no sex in it. It's fluffy, silly, entertaining fun that had me snickering like third grader who just heard someone fart in class. Good times.

Linc Carpenter gets caught boffing the wrong guy and it leads to him being banned from playing professional hockey. Linc collects his severance check an
MsMiz (Tina)
This was plain and simple fun. You can not help fall in love with Brady and Linc and the pure ridiculousness of this story. Campy mystery with funny funny twists. Have at it peeps, you cannot go wrong.
Feliz
Apr 17, 2012 Feliz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aside from being the narrative voice, Linc is clearly the main focus here, stealing the show from anybody else. He's just TOO cute!
Too stupid to live, and yet graced with a surprising amount of good instincts, clumsy yet smooth, naive to a fault yet equally honorable. He'd drive me crazy with those shenanigans that were all born from his poorly thought-through best intentions, but I felt like cuddling him all day long. A true innocent. The humor in this book bordered on slapstick, but managed to
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Feb 12, 2014 JustJen "Miss Conduct" rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, ebook, bgirls

Review by The Blogger Girls.

This was such a fun story. I mean, laugh out loud, light hearted fun.

Poor Linc is forced to leave hockey, the only thing he has ever really done. He isn’t the sharpest tool in the shed, and his word mix-ups had me chuckling out loud throughout the entire story. Really, they never got old. He ends up with a job bartending for his friend but jumps on the chance to be a private eye when he learns that same friend does it on the side. He takes on a big client willing to p
Amarilli Settantatre
Oct 10, 2015 Amarilli Settantatre rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay-romance
da www.sognipensieriparole.com

Dovevo essere bravo in qualcosa a parte il sesso e l'hockey.
Solo che ancora non avevo scoperto in cosa.

Nel variegato mondo della letteratura M/M questo romanzo breve (circa cento pagine) si caratterizza per uscire (e molto) dai soliti schemi.
Niente lacrime, niente amori epici, niente sospiri e tormenti.
Anzi, semmai tutto il contrario.
Trattasi di un delizioso (so che abuso spesso di questo termine, quando recensisco un libro in positivo, ma è un aggettivo che per
Ije the Devourer of Books
I needed this. I needed a lighthearted story which would make me laugh and this book did it for me, loud, belly laughs!

Linc the main charatcter is more brawn than brains but still manages to 'solve the mystery' and get the guy. This was a nice read, amusing and fun with a romance that bubbled away at just the right temperature.

Favourite quote:

'I guess we should discuss the elephant in the room' Brady said. 'I didnt understand what he meant, but was afraid to admit it. If there was an elephant
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
This was one of the funniest books I have read in a long time. It was silly and you have to suspend your disbelief, but the MC is mostly dumb as a box of rocks. His inability to get metaphors right is totally hilarious. I love to mix metaphors as humor but this was just obliviousness. Yet he had a large vocabulary and figured out one smart thing. It wasn't really a thriller, or even a mystery, just a funny story with one sort of almost thrilling scene.
Val Kovalin
May 25, 2012 Val Kovalin added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Val by: Ami
Linc is a former hockey star forced to leave the game under cloud of scandal. He takes work as a bartender, then picks up a private investigator's license to work cases on the side. His first one involves getting photographic proof for a wealthy lady of her husband's infidelity. But things are far from what they seem.

Meanwhile, despite Linc being willing to go to great comical lengths to do his job, he keeps getting foiled by the husband's bodyguard Brady, whose amused attitude toward Linc deve
Sadonna
Apr 17, 2012 Sadonna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pdf, mm
3.5 stars rounded up. This is a very entertaining story about Linc and his escapades after he manages to get himself thrown out of professional hockey in spectacular fashion. His naivete is what makes the story fun and funny. I know people like this - in fact I've had to interview them - they use the almost right word, but not quite. The fact that Linc is honest and realistic in his self-assessment about his intellect and abilities and strengths is also what makes the story work. I absolutely lo ...more
Meggie
Jul 26, 2016 Meggie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
The story is a light fresh comedy. I really liked Linc, he was genuine and truthfully naive. The plot was more or less about Linc as a character. His life changed after being banned from hokey, and we were part of this new change. The dialogs between Linc and Brady were amazingly comical. The writing style was clean and fesh. I loved the atmosphere between Linc and Brandy, truly pulling. But I did miss some good old sex between them, too.
Kinny
Apr 23, 2012 Kinny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This book was hilarious! Linc is just so dumb it's endearing! Brady is a sweetheart as well. He could have done damage to pesky Linc but humored him anyway. I was in tears of hysteria most of the time I thought I was going to get an asthma attack! It was just that good/sweet/cute/ hilarious!
Far from predictable too as you will see with the twist in the last few chapters.

New Laugh Trigger words: Rainbow Brite, Mensa, Paramount, and monotonous!
Mandapanda
Feb 14, 2013 Mandapanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: various-romance
3.5 stars. I laughed a lot during this. Linc's linc-isms cracked me up. If it was a bit longer I would have given it 4 stars. I wish this was a series. I'd love to see Linc bumbling through more investigations!
Leaundra
Apr 16, 2012 Leaundra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a funny book. Linc was so funny, he wasn't trying to be though, hehe Loved him and I really enjoyed Brady too! I normally figure out the mystery but I didn't this time.
Jess Candela

I didn't exactly love this book but at least it wasn't horrible, so I was able to finish it (as compared with the two I started and DNF'd within a few pages right before it). The whole thing was so unrealistic, I needed to suspend disbelief like it was a fairy tale.

Linc was OTT stupid, though I have to give him credit for ultimately solving the "mystery," such as it was. I never understood why Brady found Linc appealing enough to date, let alone why he never called the cops on the guy.
Arthur
May 01, 2012 Arthur rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"... I'm ready to be monotonous with you. I won't sleep with nobody else." - Linc to Brady

This is a hilarious book. Linc is not the sharpest knife but he's persistent. Both him and Brady like afternoon soap opera, so they keep making reference to them. Several times I just want to give Linc a hug...
Mantastic
Apr 23, 2012 Mantastic rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: highly-recommend
I've been waiting on this book since it was teased in the six-sentence-sunday blogroll a few months ago. I was not disappointed! Light, funny, and mysterious, Bartender, PI is a very entertaining that I think everyone will appreciate.
Mercedes
May 31, 2013 Mercedes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars rounded up because this made me chuckle quite a bit. Although the play on Linc not being too bright went on a bit too much for me.
Lady*M
I may have to admit that Ethan Stone is not the man author for me. ^^

I always have trouble getting into his stories. I can't pinpoint why is that exactly. In this particular case, people talked how funny this book was and the greatest reaction it got from me was a smile. Well, not all the humor is for everyone, but it could have been just my mood.

I did like Linc though. Not because he was particularly entertaining, but because he didn't let his shortcomings drag him down. He never loses his dete
Trish
Aug 26, 2012 Trish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
what a great lighthearted read.

linc is just a simple minded loveable guy who really has no clue LOL! but at the same time is rather smart and determined. he basically makes up his own language and i freaking loved some of the analogies that he brilliantly got wrong!

brady is pretty perfect imo. together they make a great couple and as the mystery unfolds in the story their relationship grows.

highly recommend this if you're looking for a break from angst.

David
Apr 24, 2012 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I give this one 3.5 stars. The humor was refreshing.I almost thought there were errors in the electronic version I was reading. Nope, just Linc-ese. The characters were memorable and the pace was fast enough to finish in one sitting. The 'sex' content was low so more story to enjoy. I could read more of the continuing adventures of Linc and Brady.
Chris
Pretty good m/m romantic suspense about a rather dim hockey player whose career ends unexpectedly, so he tends bar and tries to get his PI license. This had some funny moments, but the thing with him never using the right word got old fast.
Amy
Apr 12, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-them
Very good read. I loved Linc, he was just too cute for words. This will definitely be on my list of books to read when I need to laugh.
Veronica /  V
Apr 19, 2012 Veronica / V rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very funny cute story, Linc Carpenter was so adorable.
  • Stealing the Dragon (The Dragon's Hoard, #3)
  • My Man Godric
  • The Boys and the Bees
  • Cited to Death (Jamie Brodie Mystery, #1)
  • Shy
  • Falling Out of Fate
  • Slow Burn
  • Dirty Pirate
  • Belgian Chocolates and Incubus Kisses (The Taste of Love #1)
  • Brothers In Arms (Recon Diaries #1)
  • Naked Tails
  • One Last Kiss Goodbye
  • If the Stars Fall (The Making of a Man, #5)
  • Show and Tell
  • Finders, Keepers
  • Finding Frankie (Mech Warrior #1)
  • Like Pizza and Beer (Dino Martini Mysteries, #2)
  • Spell Cat (The Aloysius Tales, #1)