The High Middle Ages

The High Middle Ages

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  13 reviews
12 Audio CD set in two volumes. 24 Lectures / 30 minutes per lecture.

1. Why the Middle Ages?
11....more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published January 1st 2001 by The Teaching Company

Marcus
In a series of 24 30 minutes long lectures, professor Daileader provides a very accessible introduction to the period of High Middle Ages. Each of the lectures focuses on a specific topic that in professor's opinion qualifies as significant for understanding the period. The lecture set itself is divided in three main sections dealing respectively with social, religious/cultural and political aspects.

My major point of criticism is based on the fact that the title of this set of lectures is simply...more
R. August
A little too brief, but as an introduction it was very good. It seemed to focus more on reasoning and mindset then actual events - "Then William the Conqueror conquered England, but let's talk about the sophistication of the English government at that time..." The one line I liked the most was that England later became a constitutional monarchy because the during this time the monarchy was so strong, while France later became such a strong monarchy it could only be reformed through revolution be...more
Void lon iXaarii
A pretty interesting course. A lot of very interesting facts, very interesting perspectives! At times it felt too me like a bit too much focus on the ideas, literature and religious and too little on the more material conditions of people. Still, much better than other history courses which focus much more on the kings and personalities. Very interesting perspective and data, and my chance to gather more information on my little pet theory that the middle ages are called "the dark ages" and gene...more
Lee
Jun 25, 2014 Lee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like history
Fascinating overall, although the portions about royal marriages and dynastic succession didn’t interest me as much as, say, why chivalric romances were written, or even how the royal bureaucracy in England was more advanced than on the continent. Fortunately Daileader moves briskly from one topic to the next, while still giving enough information to satisfy my interests.

He is also lucid and entertaining without being patronizing. For example, his explanation of scholasticism is easier to grasp...more
Heather
The information is presented clearly and interestingly. The only thing that was somewhat distracting was that the speaker has a way of sighing/drawing a breath every few seconds. If you can get past that, you will learn a lot and enjoy learning it. I was amazed to find out all the languages that a medieval historian has to know: Latin, French, German and a few others I can't remember. That was something I had never thought about before. It made me appreciate those who research medieval history a...more
Tom
Nicely done! A fine lecturer, well informed and with twists of dry humor. I have listened to his set of cd's on the Early Middle Ages, as well as this set on the High Middle Ages. Both are worth listening to, if you like history and medieval studies. This is one of the best of The Great Courses selections, in my book.
Brian
This was a great series of college lectures. Daileader clearly explains many interweaving issues of medieval life, from conquests, economics, cultural influences, epidemics, religions, and more.
Amy Gideon
I enjoyed this lecture series more than the Early Middle Ages by the same professor. This seemed more focused and I just found the material more interesting.
Tom
Clear, concise and neatly organized. A great summary for student and scholar alike.
Lynx
Just as the lecture series on the early middle ages, this is an excellent work.
Shantelle
The lectures were fabulous. I enjoyed the pitch and tone of Daileaders voice.
Christine
I'm enjoying listening to this Learning Company series of lectures.
bryan
An excellent series.
Martin
Martin is currently reading it
Jul 14, 2014
Moigz
Moigz marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Gz Moi
Gz Moi marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Hilary Evans
Hilary Evans marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Kaarel Mänd
Kaarel Mänd is currently reading it
May 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Early Middle Ages The Late Middle Ages How the Crusades Changed History French Historians 1900 2000: New Historical Writing In Twentieth Century France True Citizens: Violence, Memory, and Identity in the Medieval Community of Perpignan, 1162-1397