Start by marking “The Godfather” as Want to Read:
The Godfather

The Godfather (Mario Puzo's Mafia)

4.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  242,088 Ratings  ·  4,786 Reviews
The Godfather—the epic tale of crime and betrayal that became a global phenomenon.

Almost fifty years ago, a classic was born. A searing portrayal of the Mafia underworld, The Godfather introduced readers to the first family of American crime fiction, the Corleones, and their powerful legacy of tradition, blood, and honor. The seduction of power, the pitfalls of greed, and
Paperback, US, 448 pages
Published March 1st 2002 by NAL (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about The Godfather, please sign up.

Lawand In 1983, Puzo's literary sequel to The Godfather was published. Entitled The Sicilian, it chronicles the life of "Giuliano" (Salvatore Giuliano) but…moreIn 1983, Puzo's literary sequel to The Godfather was published. Entitled The Sicilian, it chronicles the life of "Giuliano" (Salvatore Giuliano) but the Corleone family is featured heavily throughout, Michael Corleone in particular. Chronologically this story sits between Michael's exile to Sicily in 1950 to his return to the USA.

In 2004, Random House published a sequel to Puzo's The Godfather, The Godfather Returns, by Mark Winegardner. A further sequel by Winegardner, The Godfather's Revenge, was released in 2006. The sequel novels continue the story from Puzo's novel.(but it is for a different author)

In 2012, a prequel, based on an unproduced screenplay by Mario Puzo, titled The Family Corleone was written by Ed Falco. It tells the story of how Vito Corleone rises to Don and how Sonny Corleone and Tom Hagen enter the family business.

hope this answer helps :) (less)
Erin (Paperbackstash) *Proud Book Hoarder* First, it's well written. Puzo has an authentic, almost poetic writing style that is absorbing. Second, the story is an age old classic of a son…moreFirst, it's well written. Puzo has an authentic, almost poetic writing style that is absorbing. Second, the story is an age old classic of a son trying not to become the father. There's moving moments, great dialogue, it holds emotional punch, and is definitely worth its reputation.(less)
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Best Books Ever
127th out of 42,993 books — 161,284 voters
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieAngels & Demons by Dan BrownRebecca by Daphne du MaurierIn Cold Blood by Truman Capote
Best Crime & Mystery Books
6th out of 5,309 books — 11,888 voters

More lists with this book...

Manny
"Come in."

"Ah, Don Corleone, I'm sorry to trouble you -"

"Sit down."

"Thank you, Don Corleone -"

"Where is your mother from?"

"I'm sorry?"

"Your mother, she is from Italia. Which town?"

The rest of this review is available elsewhere (the location cannot be given for Goodreads policy reasons)

Kerstin
Mar 17, 2008 Kerstin rated it really liked it
I'm one of the people who watched the whole movie trilogy and then after that found out that The Godfather
exists as a novel. Naturally, I had to purchase it.
It is a matter of taste, I suppose, but next to the movies - so elegant and grandiose - it feels a bit like reading pulp fiction. Maybe it's that the book is lacking the presence of charismatic Hollywood giants Marlon Brando and Al Pacino, whose legendary performances rival those of Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh in Gone With The Wind. It's h
Ahmed
Feb 17, 2016 Ahmed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse.

قد تكون هي الجملة الأشهر فى تاريخ صناعة السينما , ولكن قبل أن ينطق بها العظيم مارلون براندو , كان قد خطها قلم روائي مبدع فى أحد الروايات الخالدة .

الفيلم الذى نادرا ما تجد أحد يكرهه (خاصة لو رجل ) فهو سحر السينما مجسدًا , فله تأثير السحر ومفعوله وبريقه الذى لا يُقاوَم.

قرأت نسخة إنجليزية لهذا العمل من حوالي سنتين , وللحق فهي أكثر القراءات الأجنبية التى استمتعت بها رغم أنها كانت تجربة مرهقة جدا بالنسبة لي , المهم أننا هنا لا نتحدث عن مجرد عمل روائي بل نت
Stephanie
Jul 12, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished-2015
The Godfather by Mario Puzo rocks!!

I have watched the awesome movie several times (as well as Godfather 2 and 3) and LOVED it... Finally, read the book and it was worth it! Got a bit more background and color around some of the characters and didn't mind re-visiting the Corleone family!!

I think that most people are well familiar with the plot; therefore, not going to recap it again.

Let's just leave it at - this is a book focusing on bad guys / mafia with a lot of action -- violence, sex, alcohol
Kaion
Apr 13, 2012 Kaion rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern, school, seen
Indeed, dear reader, I did not hate The Godfather. I h-aa-ted it.

How much did I hate it? Well I could start with a long dissemination of Mario Puzo's simplistic and repetitive prose. Puzo seems to think the reader needs a reminder of plot points that occured ten pages ago, and that unnecessarily drawing out an obvious reveal by splitting it up into three points of view counts as suspense.

Or I could give you a thorough cataloguing of how very poser-y The Godfather, with its bombastic ideas of mas
Israel
Jul 15, 2008 Israel rated it it was amazing
The epic masterpiece of mafia fiction. Puzo is good and entertaining elsewhere, here is great and masterful. It is to mobster books what Godfather parts 1 & 2 are to mobster movies...a standard that can never be equalled. What really intrigues me about Puzo's presentation of the Corleone family, and something that does not translate as explicitly to the screen, is the incredible sense of moral and religious conviction that what they do is right and good. At times I found myself believing tha ...more
Roxanne
Mar 02, 2008 Roxanne rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! This book started my long running obsession with Mafia.

The Godfather is one of the best pieces of literature ever written. Mario Puzo paints this elaborate picture of the Sicilian mafia through the eyes of Michael Corleone, a returning Marine Corps hero who at first wants nothing to do with the elaborate crime family that his father has built.

Don Vito Corleone, an Italian immigrant who goes from poverty in Little Italy to create one of the Five Families of New York
Matt
Apr 26, 2016 Matt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classic-novels
I’m sure you’ve had the timeless book-verses-movie argument before. Everyone has. You’re standing at the water cooler at work, and a coworker comes up to you and says “Boy, The English Patient is an excellent movie!” And maybe you say something back like “Michael Ondaatje’s Booker-Prize winning novel is far superior.” At that point, your coworker calls you a “pretentious snob” and you respond with “sewer-dwelling ignorance peddler.” There is some cursing. Maybe someone throws water on the other. ...more
Jr Bacdayan
May 19, 2013 Jr Bacdayan rated it really liked it
"..for Justice, we must go to Don Corleone."

In a world where laws are broken, where the government is only a puppet, where murder is routine and safety a rare thing, Don Corleone holds all the strings. He is the avenging angel, the thief in the night, the protector of the poor, the warrior of the wops, the ultimate puppeteer. He is the loving father, the faithful husband. He is the Godfather.

Don Vito, Sonny, Fredo, Michael, Tom, Clemenza, Tessio, Luca Brasi, the entire family, they're like the
Lou
Apr 27, 2013 Lou rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good read that demands re-read has been long time ago for now..

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄
Apr 28, 2013 ❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one actually :/:
Recommended to ❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ by: Priya's Mom
The Godfather by Mario Puzo...

Gimme one reason why there was NO CAT IN THE BOOK???
But they added one in the movie, huh.

So, the Godfather is this guy:

Most loved him, I didn't so I'm not going to talk about him. But his ideals are kinda cool.
“Friendship is everything. Friendship is more than talent. It is more than the government. It is almost the equal of family."
“Revenge is a dish that tastes best when served cold.”
“A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man.”
"Every
Madeline
Sep 04, 2009 Madeline rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-list
New Brilliant Future Career Idea: mafia wife.

Think about it - all you have to do is cook, have some babies, and go to Mass once a day. Sure, I might have a hard time learning to never ask questions about anything, but I could always get a hobby to occupy my time with. At the very least, being a mafia wife would give me tons of free time to finish The List.

It's win-win, really.
Xime García
: Me gustó, nada extraordinario.

2.75 en realidad.

Mario Puzo, mis disculpas, es que
description

Solo para ambientar el momento: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9vA7...

Son pocas las veces que leo el libro después de ver la película y en un 90% de los casos siempre digo, SIEMPRE como filosofía de vida, que "el libro es mejor".

Me he topado, por supuesto, con excepciones.

Este es uno de los casos más nombrados cuando "la película supera al libro" se trata. Y no lo digo porque el libro sea malo. Honestamente l
Hayat
4.5

I knocked off half a star because all the women were one dimensional characters without any substance and also some of the scenes were repetitive. Other than that, I loved this book. It was addictive.

Mario Puzo’s prose might be simplistic but he presents an incredibly thrilling and intricate tale about the Mafia underworld set in the 1940's America which is centred on the Italian American family, the Corleones.

But Don't be mistaken into thinking the women of the family have anything to do wi
Nandakishore Varma
Jan 03, 2016 Nandakishore Varma rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
This book supplied the words "Don" and "Mafia" to Indian languages. Now, a cartel of land-grabbers is a "Land Mafia"; there are illicit liquor traders who run "Spirit Mafias" - in Kerala, there are even gangs who do illicit extraction and sale of river sand who are called "Sand Mafia"! Similarly, any two-bit gang leader in the city is called an underworld "Don". Verily, Vito Corleone must be turning in his grave.

However, it shows how much we have been influenced by this landmark novel. In my ear
Komal
Nov 28, 2014 Komal rated it really liked it

"He doesn't accept the rules of society we live in because those rules would have condemned him to a life not suitable to a man like himself, a man of extraordinary force and character. He operates on a code of ethics he considers far superior to the legal structures of society."

In the span of our reading and being read, The Godfather and I traveled between three different countries. Although, having failed to appear in my favourites' shelf (a promotion still debatable) it most definitely
Adam
Dec 06, 2007 Adam rated it really liked it
It is a sin to watch the movie before reading this book! Well written and full of power, lust, and violence! Also implicates very strong family ties! My kind of fiction!

Some favorite quotes from this book...

"Why did you go to the police? Why didn't you come to me first?

"I understand. You found paradise in America. You had a good trade, made a good living, the police protected you and there were courts of law and you didn't need a friend like me. But, now you come to me and you say "Don Corleon
Pramod Nair
May 17, 2015 Pramod Nair rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, classics, crime
“I don't trust society to protect us, I have no intention of placing my fate in the hands of men whose only qualification is that they managed to con a block of people to vote for them.” - The definitive gangster novel and an absolutely brilliant Thriller!

I read 'The Godfather' novel after watching the movie and after reading 'The Sicilian'. I am a great fan of both the novel and the movie.

'The Godfather' is one of those novels which is well written with very powerful characters and moments and
Hasham Rasool
It is very good book. I thought it is one of the best book that I have read. I think this book will be my favourite. I can't wait to get The Family Corleone and The Sicilian books.

I was right The Godfather is my favourite book.

My favourite characters are Vito Corleone/Godfather and Michael Corleone
Melki
Jun 09, 2011 Melki rated it it was amazing
I read this book in tenth grade to impress a guy whose name I no longer remember. He sat in front of me in a class where, I'm pretty sure, I learned absolutely nothing. (I also had a crush on the guy behind me. His name was Greg, and he wanted to start a war with Canada. Another time, perhaps...)
My primary heartthrob had a unique talent - he could surreptitiously spit out of the side of his mouth. (Be still my heart!) One day, the kid who sat beside him, who had the unfortunate last name - Mumm
Brian
May 01, 2016 Brian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller, drama, 2016
Vito Corleone grew up in Sicily. His father died and he escaped with his life. They call Vito the Don, or the Godfather. If you need true help, where do you go? Nothing exists outside the laws of our land. Except the law of the Godfather, and his law of power, and money, and business.

Vito loves his sons. They mean essence of life to him. Vito grows old. He gets shot several times and lands in a hospital bed. The family strives to keep and protect in this war of mob families. Sonny Corleone, t
Ryan
Nov 28, 2015 Ryan rated it it was amazing
The Good:
Everything about this book is brilliant. Six stars.

The Bad:
It was adapted into a couple of excellent films that aren't quite as good as the novel.

'Friends' character the protagonist is most like:
I'm tempted to be lazy and say that Michael is Joey, but instead I will say that he is most like Rachel, without offering any further explanation.
Wayne Barrett

I don't know what has taken me so long to read this book. I first saw the movie more than 40 years ago and have watched it several more times since. I love the movie and have told myself for years that I should read the novel. Well, it has been my loss. This was a fantastic story.

There were a couple of week areas that I could have done without, especially the areas focused on Johnny Fontaine, but the rest of the book was good enough that I can ignore those few lags.

I'm not going to retrace the
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
This book is not for the faint of heart. It has violence, murder, and sexy times. Also cheating.

This book was great, really engaging in it's story telling. It sucked me in. The descriptions were really vivid. I felt like I was there. It was like watching a movie.

Don Vito was my favorite character.

It lived up to the hype.

I can't wait to watch the movie! :D

Sean O'Hara
Mar 29, 2010 Sean O'Hara rated it did not like it
Shelves: pot-boiler, mob
"The book is always better than the movie" is one of those truisms that people repeat uncritically. But anyone who's widely read knows that's not true at all -- many great movies are based upon awful books. The two most commonly cited examples are Peter Benchley's Jaws and Mario Puzo's The Godfather. Now personally, I don't even think Jaws is that great of a movie, so reading a book that's even worse has no appeal to me. But the supposed awfulness of The Godfather interests me. So when I found a ...more
Manju
Apr 30, 2015 Manju rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Manju by: Srividya
I saw the movie few years ago and loved it. I was unaware at that time that its an adaptation of a book of same name. Courtesy Goodreads I finally came to know of this fact. But still I was in no mood to read the book until my friend Srividya recommended it to me.

There are so many aspects of the book that I loved but characterization simply blew me away. Puzo has given his characters so much depth. Don Corleone, Michael, Tom Hagen, hot-headed Sonny and every other character was brilliant. Corleo
Richard Ward
Nov 26, 2014 Richard Ward rated it really liked it
I don't believe in the Mafia. That's a minority opinion, I know. After reading the definitive piece of fiction on it, I'm more convinced than ever that there's no such thing as the Mafia. Yet more than ever, I'm struck by how much the U.S. Government, and other governments, resemble some kind of Mafia, in that they use brute force alone in enforcing their arbitrary and self-serving monopolies, even using some of the same rationalizations to excuse it all. I enjoyed The Godfather. I figure: just ...more
Erin (Paperbackstash) *Proud Book Hoarder*

"Friendship is everything. Friendship is more than talent. It is more than the government. It is almost the equal of family."

The Godfather turned out being much better than I anticipated. Originally being in a long list of books I would "eventually get to," I only picked it up because it was on the floor near me when I was also on the floor organizing the book closet. Needing a break (and being lazy as usual), I decided to randomly start reading the first page. What drew me in wasn't the story n
Maya Khan
Jan 07, 2014 Maya Khan rated it it was amazing
I wanted to join a gang after I read this book. Seriously I was in a funk and did everything Italian. I even put on a weird accent and quoted directly from the book. I wont say what people thought of it but you get the drift. I was living in the book and that's something, coming from me because I don't really get involved in many books/ movies.. ItWas brilliant! I never knew I'd enjoy such genres so much. I still remember threatening my then boyfriend now my husband, Godfather style! I'm afraid ...more
Russell
Jun 22, 2007 Russell rated it really liked it
Remember the random tart that James Caan was boning in the beginning of the movie? Who knew that she was such a key character in the book? NOT YOU!
Reader's Paradise: The Naming Process is Under Process. 1018 80 1 hour, 59 min ago
Goodreads Librari...: ASIN for Hardcover? 2 16 Apr 27, 2016 10:35AM
What now? 29 241 Dec 24, 2015 04:55AM
what is the order of the Godfather book series? 3 111 Dec 24, 2015 04:44AM
2016 Reading Chal...: 1969-The Godfather 1 15 Sep 05, 2015 09:39PM
  • L.A. Confidential (L.A. Quartet, #3)
  • The Godfather Returns
  • Wiseguy
  • Papillon
  • The Fall of the Athenian Empire
  • Detective
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
  • Sleepers
  • The Day of the Jackal
  • Fletch (Fletch, #1)
  • Tishomingo Blues
  • Donnie Brasco
  • Five Families: The Rise, Decline, and Resurgence of America's Most Powerful Mafia Empires
  • Train to Pakistan
  • The Spy Who Came In from the Cold
  • The Gangs of New York
Puzo was born in a poor family of Neapolitan immigrants living in the Hell's Kitchen neighborhood of New York. Many of his books draw heavily on this heritage. After graduating from the City College of New York, he joined the United States Army Air Forces in World War II. Due to his poor eyesight, the military did not let him undertake combat duties but made him a public relations officer statione ...more
More about Mario Puzo...

Mario Puzo's Mafia (7 books)
  • The Sicilian
  • The Last Don
  • Omerta
  • The Godfather Returns
  • The Godfather's Revenge
  • The Family Corleone

“I'll make him an offer he can't refuse.” 1388 likes
“Friendship is everything. Friendship is more than talent. It is more than the government. It is almost the equal of family.- Don Corleone” 876 likes