Start by marking “What Not To Wear” as Want to Read:
What Not To Wear

What Not To Wear

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  711 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
Accompanying their BBC televison series what not to wear, this book includes Susannah and Trinny's personal 'must have' directory of stores and boutiques across the UK. Follow their golden rules for perfect dressing and Susannah and Trinny can help turn you into a gleaming example of confidence and style, no matter what your size, shape or age.
Paperback
Published July 10th 2003 (first published July 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about What Not To Wear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Not To Wear

Butterfly
Oct 06, 2012 Butterfly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beauty-fashion
Contains a few good ideas for dressing your body type that I'll definitely take away. I thought the abrasively honest tone was funny.

BUT:

-Trinny, wear a bra!!!! Nipple show is NOT sexy, knock it off!!
-They should have included other models. I noticed that some of their "what (not) to wear" outfits sometimes contradicted each other in different chapters, depending on what they were trying to emphasize/hide, yet it was still the same person! In one chapter, Trinny shouldn't wear an A-line coat due
Sharon
Apr 11, 2010 Sharon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
This book was atrociously bad - not worth the 30 minutes it took me to skim it, and definitely not the couple of bucks I paid at a library sale.

The authors' tone is disturbingly negative about everyone's bodies. The blurbs accompanying each example are poorly edited. The clothes are all dated, which is no mean feat considering that this was only published 8 years ago. Ugly, unattractive clothing does not support your style argument!

Perhaps most appalling of all, Trinny obviously hasn't learned t
Kimberly
Feb 03, 2011 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-copy, self-help
This is one of the great books to have as a resource for clothes. I think at least once a year when going through your clothes to give away and for sure before you buy new ones check this out so you know what not to wear!
Nancy Schober
May 13, 2011 Nancy Schober rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: attire, self, acceptance
These girls are the best! They don't say wait until you've lost 5, 10 or 50 pounds to look good. Like Allure magazine they operate under the premise that every woman can look her best. Without dieting, surgery or exercise.
Vieve
Mar 13, 2008 Vieve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I guess I'm into self-help. Heaven knows I need it. Gives great advice on what the thin folk can wear and what we buttery folk should stay away from (or wear.)
Juliet Gilchrist
I loved this! It is really nice to be able to see what different cuts fit with your body type. I will never wear tapered pants again! LOL
Sacapsie
May 07, 2014 Sacapsie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading the reviews for this book was interesting... They reflect just how confused women are about their bodies. The same people bash this book for its body negativity and criticize Trinny Woodall because she does not wear a bra under her shirts. It takes an extra dose of doublethink to be this unselfconsciously prejudiced.

Here is my take on this book, and others like it. They definitely play to the insecurities that women have about their bodies, and they will continue to sell for as long as w
Margaret
Oh, this was fun to read or maybe I should say view since it was mostly pictures! I see I am doing some things right but of course still need much improvement.

I found the use of food analogies for what you might look like in certain styles very amusing - breasts that look like lumpy custard and arms like sausages. For some of us, food is the very reason why we must resort to clothing as camouflage in the first place.

It's interesting that Trinny & Susannah do differ somewhat in their advice
Abby
Dec 07, 2009 Abby rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I recommend this book to: no one. It wasn't very good. And I would have thought this even if I hadn't been reading Stacy London and Clinton Kelley's book "Dress Your Best" at the same time, as that book is 100 times more helpful and made this one look even worse by comparison.

While it didn't completely lack anything useful, here were my beefs with it:

1. There were way too many words that I didn't know, with no explanation or accompanying photograph. I don't know if they are words from the Britis
Beth
Aug 21, 2009 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book last year, but decided to read it again. I'll be shopping for fall clothes soon and needed a quick refresher course as to what not to buy! After reading this book (last year) I realized that I had been buying and wearing the wrong clothes. While I'm still not a fashion expert by any means, I did learn a lot about what clothes I should be wearing. A lot of their tips have been very helpful. I bought some of the clothes they suggested for my body type and I did look better. And wh ...more
Janet
I managed to depress myself when it occurred to me that I had 5 out of the 10 common flaws the girls talked about. This book is useful because not only does it show pictorial examples of “wrong” styles vs “right” styles, but it gives the reason why. Trinny and Susannah were the models for the pictures. I found that reassuring—they’ve got the same problems the rest of us do. Especially helpful was the directory in back, listing where to find all the clothes pictured, including price range (Guiltl ...more
Elaine
Nov 23, 2015 Elaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laugh-out-loud funny, with lots of good advice.

More illustrations (of the clothing alternatives they describe on each page) would be helpful. I can't quite picture everything they're writing about -- sometimes because they use sartorial terms I don't know.

Also, what does one do when one has both a large butt and saddlebags? Presumably, since Trinny is the model for both these chapters, she has both of these characteristics. But for the large butt one is supposed to wear pencil skirts and steer c
Joy
Not much to add that that others haven't said. There has to be a happy medium in between talking constructively about dressing to suit less desirable body aspects and being crushingly negative about said body aspects while you do it, but you won't find it here. Having two models to represent all these supposed problem areas that for the most part they don't have is not very useful. Nor is using the obvious, ridiculous trick of a before picture being slouchy and grumpy which automatically makes t ...more
Suzanne
Sep 25, 2009 Suzanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
I like that the book is broken down body issue (big boobs, large behind, etc) and that they tell you what to wear to make each area look better. When I was much younger I was very stylish and always fashionable. With all the changes over the years in my body shape I have found it much harder to figure out the right clothing pieces for me. Reading this book is giving me a guideline of things to look for on my quest to regain my stylish self.
Mel
Mar 20, 2010 Mel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010, own-book
This book has a simple, easy to grasp set of rules for different body types. You'd think it would be obvious to us what flatters our shapes and what does not, but after reading this book I have changed my ways. And as a result, I've been getting lots of compliments on my same old wardrobe AND people assume I've lost weight. I haven't. Thank you, What Not To Wear!
Amy
Feb 22, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Speaking of guilty pleasures, here is one of mine. I read this book a few years ago and I donated about 1/3 of my clothes after reading it (and I think I'm better off for having done so). Their shopping suggestions are a little out there, though. I wonder what percentage of their readers go to Chanel, Chloe, etc.??
Desi
Jun 05, 2009 Desi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book to help you figure out what fits your body type. Didn't cover all issues, but you can get a lot out of what they did cover. Super helpful to see different women wearing the same shirt so you can see why something you love on your friend doesn't fit you the same way!
Camilla Tilly
Feb 22, 2016 Camilla Tilly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have avoided giving this book a review for 3 months now since it is such utter rubbish! First of all it is highly offensive with the most appalling language. Do these women usually work on the factory floor or what? They sound like drunk hooligans.

Secondly, they don't seem to understand that most of us have several "problem" areas, not just ONE. In that respect, the book is not helpful what so ever. To give an example. I can't boast anything but a cup size 70A/32A. They say that I therefor mus
Angel
Jun 11, 2011 Angel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good book to start off the basics. I'm not really into the european-go-without-a-bra theory...ever. But hey, it can work for some people. All in all a good quick read.
Renia Carsillo
A good way to really look at what your wearing. Whether or not it's fair people judge you by your clothes so it's worth using a mirror.
Sunny
Sep 25, 2015 Sunny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The American versions of this TV series were never remotely as good as the original. This is scathingly honest as well as funny and useful. It's got plenty of rules, illustrated by photos to help you understand. The authors point out few women's bodies are perfect, not with an eye to hiding imperfection, but rather on accentuating the positive. They use their own imperfections to help show how the right clothing makes a terrific difference.

They also illustrate a lot of fashion don'ts that I see
Liz
Oct 12, 2010 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, fashion
I think this means I have to chuck out my peacoat! I love reading tips for gals with huge boobs....
Arlene
Sep 15, 2012 Arlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My daughter brought home a copy of this which she borrowed from their Stress Management Office. My eyes got caught by the title, “what not to wear”.It’s all about the common mistakes we usually commit when dressing up or trying to be fashionable. Some people really don’t care how they look as long as they follow the fashion trend. Never mind if they have big boobs, no boobs, big arms, big butt, no waist, short legs, flabby tummy, saddlebags, short neck, or thick ankles and calves. This book expl ...more
Lisa
Jan 01, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was supposed to read this book years ago, but didn't get around to it. Aside from some negative body-shaming that the authors only meant to be humorous, this is an awesome resource for someone trying to figure out how to dress in a more flattering manner. I found I was already doing a lot of things right since I'd decided three years ago to spend more time trying on lots of things and making mistakes until I learned something. I have a few mistakes I no longer have the excuse to hang on to. Ov ...more
Marcia
Feb 13, 2014 Marcia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had read this before, but it recently surfaced in my K-9 library (???) where a group of kids were giggling frantically in a corner saying "This is so inappropriate!"
4th graders don't need to dress their saggy, baggy bodies or appreciate the direct girlfriend banter between the authors.
Everyone needs a friend who will tell them when it just doesn't work!
Great timeless advice, good reminders on how to make the most of what you have and now I'm off to buy a nice wrap dress.
Melina
Jun 08, 2008 Melina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who need to rethink their look
I bought this in an airport. I can't stand to read anything the least bit mentally challenging on an airplane, so this fit the bill. The book does have good advice on dressing to play up your better features and play down the ones you would rather minimize, although I don't care what they say, I am still going to wear a tank top on a very hot day, upper arm fat or no. BUT, I will not be wearing the dreaded cap sleeves any more thanks to them.

Also they suggested wrap tops and 3/4 length sleeves
Trish
Feb 08, 2012 Trish rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Non-Fiction; Fashion
3 stars

From the original ladies behind the popular TV series, this book is divided in sections that 'expose' all of the parts of their bodies that they do not particularily like and shows the reader how to dress them for the best overall look.

With ideas for the big chested, small chested, flabby arms, no butt, big butt, and saddlebag areas. this book pretty much covers it all. I enjoyed how the book was laid out and included little snippets at the end of each chapter about d
Irene
Sep 28, 2011 Irene rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
While it has some valid fashion tips for those with odd bodily shapes, this book is a waste of time.

In the "worst" section they accentuate the worst clothing to wear by wearing clothing that doesn't fit, they slouch, slump their shoulders and arch their back. Not to mention the nasty looks they give the camera, and the way they hold their arms.

Then in the "best" section, they wear appropriate sized clothing while standing tall with their shoulders back. Big smiles and comfortable arm stances. Th
Cindy
May 30, 2016 Cindy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
The book is broken down into fashion suggestions for those with big boobs, no boobs, big arms, big butt, no waist, short legs, flabby tummy, saddlebags, short neck, and thick ankles & calves. The authors Trinny Woodall and Susannah Constantine are models for each of the areas. I like the suggestions and the reasoning behind it, I just wish they used people other then themselves. They are both beautiful women, but I would have liked better/more examples. Though published in 2002 many of the s ...more
Candice
Jan 21, 2012 Candice rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm sorry to give this book only 2 stars, and it's not because the advice wasn't good. However, it was way too short and just didn't give enough advice. Also, because the book was written by Brits they use a lot of language I'm unfamiliar with AND fashion terminology I was also unfamiliar with. A little glossary with definitions of terms like "drainpipe jeans" and "kaftan" would have been helpful for this fashion naive. Yes, I figured out what the best blouse for me to wear is, and I appreciate ...more
  • Dress Your Best
  • The Science of Sexy: Dress to Fit Your Unique Figure with the Style System that Works for Every Shape and Size
  • The Lucky Shopping Manual
  • InStyle: Instant Style: Your Season-by-Season Guide for Work and Weekend
  • Beauty Junkies: Inside Our $15 Billion Obsession With Cosmetic Surgery
  • The Pocket Stylist
  • How to Have Style
  • Alabama Studio Sewing + Design: A Guide to Hand-Sewing an Alabama Chanin Wardrobe
  • The Lucky Guide to Mastering Any Style: How to Wear Iconic Looks and Make Them Your Own
  • Pilates Body in Motion
  • Queer Eye for the Straight Guy : The Fab 5's Guide to Looking Better, Cooking Better, Dressing Better, Behaving Better, and Living Better
  • The Thoughtful Dresser
  • Off the Cuff
  • How to Never Look Fat Again: Over 1,000 Ways to Dress Thinner--Without Dieting!
  • Audrey Style
  • 100 Dresses: The Costume Institute / The Metropolitan Museum of Art
  • Micronations: the Lonely Planet guide to self-proclaimed nations
  • The Go-Girl Guide: Surviving Your 20s with Savvy, Soul, and Style
Fashion advisor and designer, television presenter and author.
More about Trinny Woodall...