What You Wear Can Change Your Life

What You Wear Can Change Your Life

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  377 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Trinny & Susannah have advised and dressed more than 3,000 women. They know instinctively the finer points and secrets of looking good. In WHAT YOU WEAR CAN CHANGE YOUR LIFE they pass on all their experience and advice.They show how to choose the colours that suit you best, what underwear to buy, how to store clothes and how to revamp your wardrobe at no cost. They rec...more
Paperback
Published June 9th 2005 by George Weidenfeld & Nicholson (first published 2004)

RH Walters
Part of me is a perennial unkempt adolescent who can never imagine using fancy make-up or foundation garments, but I love Trinny and Susannah and the carefree happiness they promise from sound wardrobe decisions and sitting properly for photographs. One favorite line from the book -- "there is never an occasion to wear a baseball cap." Everyone needs smart girlfriends.
e.c.h.a
Samapi sekarang gw masih takjub sama buku ini serta penulisnya Trinny & Susannah. Gw pertama lihat ini buku waktu Oprah dan pengen banget baca. Beruntung lha gw punya Bos yang hobi banget baca buku. Nah pas dia punya nih buku....langsung dech tanpa pikir panjang, gw baca. Dugaan gw bener, buku ini bener-bener gk neko-neko. Dalam merubah penampilan tuh gk perlu biaya mahal, apalagi operasi palstik. Cukup mengenali bentuk tubuh kita terus tau bagaimana menutupi kekurang dan menonjolkan kelebih...more
Cindy
The book is broken down into fashion suggestions by topics and include; defining your shape, underwear, color, culling, no-cost wardrobe, accessories, storage, makeup, traveling, and pregnancy.. The authors Trinny Woodall and Susannah Constantine are models for each of the areas. I like the suggestions and the reasoning behind it, I just wish they used people other then themselves. They are both beautiful women, but I would have liked better/more examples. Though published in 2004 many of the st...more
Tracy
I want to care. I just don't. That being said, it's an entertaining and informative book for those willing to follow the advice and make changes.
Susan
I love this book. When I'm feeling frumpy, I lug this out & re-read to get fresh ideas to update my look.
Gordy
I live by this book.....Can you not tell?
Vesna
Oct 16, 2009 Vesna marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wish-list
Entertaining read full of home truths, 7 Oct 2004
By A Customer

This review is from: What You Wear Can Change Your Life (Hardcover)
Curious about the title, I ordered this book. The style is informal and funny. I think every working Mum juggling their domestic roles will recognize themselves here...particularly our refusal to throw away underwear that is in an awful condition..hardly flattering..and to clear out a wardrobe full of clothes that you cannot wear. Particularly, trousers that refuse t...more
Phyllis
There's probably some solid advice in here for dressing to conceal what you perceive to be a figure flaw (the shrill feminist in me bristles a little bit at the concept of figure flaws to begin with, but I'd be a damn liar if I didn't admit I worry about them as much as the average lady brainwashed by THE MEDIA), but the constant obsessing over specific body parts and how disgusting they are and how if you wear the wrong clothes everyone is going to notice how jowly and saggy you are is such an...more
Deborah
Funny and real, with good advice on dressing the best for your body type. This book *did* change the way I dress: rereading it now, I realize that being a busty girl I did take their advice and ban all crew-necked sweaters from my closet and make sure my bras were fitting me properly. It has also dated pretty well for being 6 years old. The advice on wardrobe swapping with girlfriends and clearing out what doesn't work for you is brilliant. The colour advice was terrific for me, but would be use...more
Merrilee
Mar 02, 2011 Merrilee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cassie Hart
What a fantastic book for boosting your confidence and making you feel that clothes can be worth the effort. This book by T&S is packed with great advice, from defining your good points to what shoes look best on you. Covering colours, clothes, make-up, shoes, looking good while travelling and a fantastic chapter on pregnancy, this book is packed with advice that will make you think that looking good is easier than you thought.

Plenty of sections could easily have been expanded, but I believe...more
Cindy Dyson Eitelman
They nearly had me convinced on that. Fun, funny book by a pair of fashion favored Brits; full of tips on what to wear and, more importantly, what not to wear. It also includes makeup and miscellany, such as how to shape your eyebrows and pose for photographs.

I enjoyed it thoroughly and probably won't take one wink of their advice.
But it's worth reading for the chapter on vacation photography alone. Bad vacation photos can sour a memory, they say--do what you must to ensure good ones. Their tips...more
Debbie
I've always enjoyed Trinny & Susannah on their show. Even when I disagreed with them I found them entertaining. Their first two books offered some useful tips for dressing to suit your shape and your current reality (age, size, etc.). Yes, they could be brutal but sometimes that what it took to get a woman out of her rut.[return][return]I think Trinny & Susannah have now hit a rut. This book is full of interesting ideas but all of them have been offered in other books (and very often in...more
Lisampinto
I loved this - engaging writing style and lots of examples and vibrant images to get points across.
This is not a wholesome book. The language and some pictures (underwear chapter) bother me, but I'm trying to glean what I can from it. For someone with no sense of style (that's me), these authors have a lot to offer. They have chapters specifically for mommy's of two toddlers (and every other stage of life) and for building a wardrobe on a low budget.

I've been changing sizes constantly for three years (two babies, hello!), my closet is a mess, I'm sure I look like a mess sometimes. This is ju...more
Anna
I love Trinny and Susanna's straight talking style, but this book was not my favorite. The color section wasn't useful because it only had little paint chip-like samples of color and no real clothing examples. Also, I think that they are starting to be a little too extreme, don't leave the hose with out make-up and a considerable amount of spandex in your undergarments. Really!?! There was some interesting info, but you've gotta dig to get to it.
MB
Oops! I realized that I had already read this one. But still fun to review. This is a very good fashion advice book and Trinni and Susannah's photos really illustrate the points that they are making in a humorous and understandable way. Some of the stylings are pretty out-there for Americans, and I wonder how well this book will date. But it's worth getting your hands on a copy because it is so entertaining and accessible!
Wendy Palmer
I thought this would be a rehash of the first book with a bit of extra info but (unluckily for me, since I haven't referred to the first one) it is actually a very useful guide to how to wear auxillaries, once you've got the cut and style of your clothing sorted out by using that first book: the chapter on choosing colours is worth the whole book alone, and the underwear and accessories chapters are useful too.
Love these ladies! Lots of useful advice and realistic pictures of what does and does not work for their body types. I especially liked their color palate options. I never would have paired some of the colors they suggest, but they look great. My plan is to go though my wardrobe and see what combinations will work. I really need to get out of the khakis go with everything rut...
Linda
maybe the title is a wee bit dramatic but a fun read. There's a chapter on how to pose for pictures so you don't cringe when your photos are developed after a vacation. Tips on proper underwear to hide those things you want to hide. I couldn't figure out what colors they thought my complexion necessitated however, not enough information for me. easy to pick up and put down.
Alison
This book was much more helpful than the other one. It covered a broader range of problem areas and offered much more advice. However, I still think it would have helped to see other women than the authors in the clothes they were suggesting. They are both so much more stylish and into accessories than I am, but I hope to put into practice some of the things I learned.
Kortni Flynn
Of all of the fashion advice books that I've read, I treasure this one for its color advice. If I feel bored with my wardrobe or think I don't have anything to wear I check out the color combo suggestions and come up with something surprising and great. There's also a lot of basic tips for the fashion-impaired. Always a funny read.
Kimberly
Overall, I enjoyed this book because I enjoy the original British version of the show. I can't say that I learned a ton from this book that I didn't already know. However, I did decide to display my scarves in a visually appealing and more accessible fashion in my closet.

This is a library book - not a purchase book.
Molly
Similar to their other books but expanded to include pregnancy and other stages of life. It seemed a little more realistic, they acknowledged that women might not have unlimited time and resources to spend on fashion. But they stressed how looking good can give you a boost and be empowering in tough or busy times.
Marnette
These ladies are European - and have no shame. They are pretty realistic about their bodies. The information about color categories, defining your body and tricks to accentuate assests and hide the things you don't like were amazing. Other chapters weren't relevant in my life... but it was great. LOVED IT!
Leah
It's nice to see pictures of real people in unflattering clothes with an explanation of just what makes them look so bad, and what they can do to fix it. However, I'm pretty sure that these two women look exactly alike, no matter how much they try to say that they represent a variety of body types.
Beth
These two girls are nuts!! But they have really good advice. They show you how to find the color that looks best on you and how to wear clothes that bring out your best features. I actually used it as a guide for an Enrichment Night. It went over well. Everyone wants to know "What to Wear"
Rho
I've started sewing more of my own clothing, so I figured that when I put a lot of effort into a garment, I should make something that looks good on me. I liked the section on color and am inspired to wear more interesting color combinations and more colors that look good on me.
Robin
Okay, I read this back in 06 and obviously it didn't change a thing about how I dress, but here is what I said then "recommended by my sister Jane. Love it, honest, real people, real bodies how to. After reading I don't know quite how to dress but I'm getting there. Easy read."
Tara Calaby
Another enjoyable break-time read. I always like the fact that Trinny & Susannah are willing to criticise themselves first of all. One thing that does get to me a bit, though, is when Susannah is referred to as being fat, because she quite obviously isn't anything of the sort!
Suzanne
This book was alright but I wouldn't call it fabulous or great. I did get a couple of ideas from the book there was a lot of it that did pertain to me at this time in my life. Trinny & Susannah are an interesting pair.
  • Dress Your Best
  • How to Have Style
  • How Not to Look Old: Fast and Effortless Ways to Look 10 Years Younger, 10 Pounds Lighter, 10 Times Better
  • The Lucky Shopping Manual
  • The Style Strategy: A Less-Is-More Approach to Staying Chic and Shopping Smart
  • Style Statement: Live By Your Own Design
  • InStyle: Secrets of Style: The Complete Guide to Dressing Your Best Every Day
  • The Go-Girl Guide: Surviving Your 20s with Savvy, Soul, and Style
  • The Lucky Guide to Mastering Any Style: How to Wear Iconic Looks and Make Them Your Own
  • When Organizing Isn't Enough: Shed Your Stuff, Change Your Life
  • 100 Dresses: The Costume Institute / The Metropolitan Museum of Art
  • Bobbi Brown Beauty
  • Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me: A Unique Guide to Over 35,000 Products, Plus the Latest Skin-Care Research
  • Color Me Beautiful
  • Voices after Midnight
  • The Truth About Style
  • Manners
  • The Bombshell Manual of Style
Fashion advisor and designer, television presenter and author.
More about Trinny Woodall...
What Not to Wear What Not to Wear: For Every Occasion Trinny and Susannah Take on America: What Your Clothes Say About You The Body Shape Bible: Forget Your Size Discover Your Shape Transform Yourself Trinny and Susannah the Survival Guide: A Woman's Secret Weapon for Getting Through the Year