Start by marking “Queen's Ransom (Ursula Blanchard, #3)” as Want to Read:
Queen's Ransom (Ursula Blanchard, #3)

Queen's Ransom (Ursula Blanchard #3)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  483 ratings  ·  30 reviews

By the Queen's command, she carried a letter that could alter the course of history -- or eclipse her own future....

Eager for a respite from her role as handmaiden to Queen Elizabeth I, Ursula Blanchard agrees to travel to France to help her first husband's father bring his young ward home to England. But duty soon calls. Fearing that the pro-Catholic forces threateni...more
Published May 6th 2008 by Gallery Books (first published January 11th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Queen's Ransom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queen's Ransom

Kate Quinn
Elizabethan sleuth Ursula Blanchard crosses the Channel in her third adventure, braving war-torn France to carry a private letter from Elizabeth to Catherine de'Medici. Religious hysteria, an accusation of murder, and a malicious priest land Ursula's faithful maid Dale in prison and Ursula scrambles to rescue her, struggling at the same time to rescue her own future with her estranged husband Matthew. Ursula might love Matthew, but his Catholic faith keeps leading him into plots against the Quee...more
Janet
I don’t think this is as strong a story as Buckley usually offers. The plot sort of wandered along with randomly placed roadblocks. Just when I thought the story was winding up, another problem surfaces. And at the end, Ursula seems to have made peace with her life and made her choice between Matthew or England (don’t want to spoil it for anyone), but then she starts wondering if it’s really the right choice for her. Come on, woman, make up your mind and keep it made up!
Pamela Mclaren
This is the third in the Ursula Blanchard series, but the first of the books for me and I have to say that I enjoyed the story very much, although how realistic it was considering that we are talking about the1500s ...

What I can believe is the palace intrigue and the intolerance of Catholic vs. Lutheran religions. Both made a good counterpoint to the main story and the conflict Ursula has when her servant is falsely accused and has to rely on a ransom to do justice. I also can believe a woman be...more
Denise
Book #3 in the Elizabeth I mystery novels by Fiona Buckley (her pen name). This plot wandered a bit and wasn't as sharp as books #1 and #2. A year has gone by and our heroine (Ursula Blanchard) is sent to France by the queen with a letter offering to "mediate" between the Catholics and Protestants (called Huguenots) of France. The queen wants Ursula to give this letter to the Queen Mother of France--Catherine de Medici. But France has exploded in violent religious war and Ursula is placing her l...more
Michelle
(3.5 stars) The third book in the Ursula Blanchard series sends Ursula off to France on two missions: to act as companion to the ward of her first husband's father after they retrieve her from a convent, and to convey a secret letter to Queen Catherine de Medici offering Queen Elizabeth's support in negotiating with the Huguenots. Before she leaves, Ursula is part of the entourage for Elizabeth who is working to support her political position by showing a display of her wealth to the Spanish amb...more
Faith Justice
I read this book in preparation for an interview with Fiona Buckley, which is the pen name for British novelist Valerie Anand. The entire interview can be read at my website or a series of posts at my blog.

I enjoyed the book, but found it a bit predictable.
Dale
May 23, 2013 Dale rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Linda Matty, Kathy Keim
I am not reading these "A Mystery at Queen Elizabeth's Court" books in order, but Buckley has written them such that one can do this and not confuse events. I enjoyed Ursula Blanchard's adventures once again. This book took her into Queen Catherine de Medicis' pro-Catholic France. I learned a lot about this pro-Catholic war that threatened to tear France apart and spread to Protestant England. Lots of twists and turns in this one. Also more insights in to both Queen Elizabeth's and Queen Catheri...more
Lalla
This is an exciting story in this series featuring Ursula Blanchard. She is traveling during dangerous times in France on an errand for Queen Elizabeth. Along the way, the reader learns of the religious unrest in France at this time and share Ursula's need to free her serving woman by using hidden treasures in that her deceased husband told her of in Antwerp. The end is surprising so will not share it.
Kate
Ursula travels to France to get away from spying and Elizabeth's court, and possibly to see her husband...but of course Cecil and Elizabeth are pulling strings and thrills await her. Wish I liked Ursula Blanchard better as a character, but it could be that reading these out of order is what makes me dislike her constant whining that she doesn't want to do the work she enjoys.
Moonmomie
I enjoy Elizabethan Historical Fiction, which is what brought me to this series. I had never been interested in any kind of mysteries up until reading these books. They were a complete surprise to me. The plots in all of the Ursula Blanchard Mysteries are rich and fun, the characters are interesting and complex. I really loved this entire series of books.
Mom
This was a fun little mystery with a historical setting. I had hoped there would be more about life at court than what was included, plus I had not read the first book or two with Ursula Blanchard as the main character, so I was somewhat disappointed. But, if you like easy to read mysteries with a female lead character, this is a series for you!
Julia
This was my first Fiona Buckley novel, and I was enchanted with it. I am glad to know there are more in this series, because Ursula is quite a likable character. This time period is one of my favorites, even though I w would not have wanted to live then. I will definitely be on the lookout for more of Fiona Buckley' s works.
Charlotte Osborn-bensaada
This is a great series set in Queen Elizabeth's court. Buckley takes several real historical mysteries and asks what if... Worth reading for a strong interesting heroine that while sometimes needing rescue is rather good at figuring out her own options given the limited options available to women of the time.
Gayle
Another very good entry in this series. I do wonder how the books will continue now though with the happenings at the end of this installment. The main character in this series is quite engaging and a strong individual. I look forward to the remainder of this series.
Renee
I am actually really enjoying these Ursula Blanchard books. I am listening to them on audio and I like the narrators voice. Sometimes I wish we could hurry it along a little and wonder if I would enjoy them as much were I to read them. But the stories are good so far.
Joe
Just delicious.
How did I not know about this series?
Intrigue, History and double dealing.
All with the backdrop of Elizabeth I and the French Protestant Revolution.
Sweet.
Mel
I appreciate that the writing has a nice flow and easy to follow. I like this series, but may be getting tired of them, thus just a 3 star rating. I plan on continuing the series.
Helen Azar
I was expecting the fictional Elizabeth I to be more of a presence in this one. Not bad, but I am not sure if I will run out and read the rest of the series...
Julie
This third installment in this series doesn't end up really being a mystery novel, but it's interesting with enough suspense and character to be enjoyable.
Stacey Andrews
3rd book in the series, surprise ending...I love Ursula! This is a great historical mystery series set in the Elizabethan period. Long live Gloriana!
Lauren Kutik
The plot was a bit far fetched and the pace somewhat tedious. I enjoyed it less than Ms. Buckley's previous offerings in this series.
Certainly not the best book in the series - Buckley holds your hand a little too tightly throughout.
Rebecca Curtis
Ind of boring and the history was wrong in places and the story was not good enough to compensate. blag!
Misty
awesome so far. i'm glad i stuck with this series. it just gets better!
Rachelle
I have really enjoyed this series. I can't wait to read them all.
Bridget Reischer
The audio book is read by Nadia may - good story.
Jill
Great medieval mystery series.
MommaLaura
Another good one from Fiona Buckley!
Ellenanddavid
Interesting historical mystery.
  • The Poyson Garden (Elizabeth I, #1)
  • Face Down in the Marrow-Bone Pie (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #1)
  • A Play of Knaves (Joliffe the Player, #3)
  • Heresy (Catherine LeVendeur, #8)
  • The Subtle Serpent (Sister Fidelma, #4)
  • Fire and Fog (Fremont Jones, #2)
  • A Vein of Deceit (Matthew Bartholomew, #15)
  • A Secret and Unlawful Killing (Burren Mysteries, #2)
Valerie Anand is a British author of historical fiction. Under the pen name Fiona Buckley she writes the series of historical mysteries, set in the reign of Elizabeth I of England, featuring "Ursula Blanchard" (whose full name is Ursula Faldene Blanchard de la Roche Stannard). Under her own name she writes historical fiction based on the royalty of England and the Bridges over Time series which fo...more
More about Fiona Buckley...
To Shield the Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #1) The Doublet Affair (Ursula Blanchard, #2) To Ruin A Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #4) A Pawn for a Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #6) Queen of Ambition (Ursula Blanchard, #5)