Start by marking “But No Elephants (Once Upon a Time)” as Want to Read:
But No Elephants (Once Upon a Time)

But No Elephants (Once Upon a Time)

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  934 ratings  ·  104 reviews
Grandma Tildy lived all alone, until a salesman stopped by to sell her a pet. She welcomed a canary bird into her home, but made it very clear that she wanted NO ELEPHANTS! This heart-warming children's book, written and illustrated by Jerry Smath, will delight parents and children from beginning to finish.

Book Details: Format: Paperback Publication Date: 8/15/2007 Pages:
Published August 8th 2007 by Cq Products (first published January 1st 1979)

Harry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienMatilda by Roald DahlGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
Children's Books I'll Re-Read No Matter How Old I Am
369th out of 1,723 books — 2,873 voters
Watership Down by Richard AdamsDune by Frank HerbertPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scott FitzgeraldThe Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman
In a Brown Mood
274th out of 457 books — 54 voters

More lists with this book...

Mona
My parents received this book through a mailing subscription list (it was like Netflix but with kids' books, back in the 1980s), and it became an all-time favorite book in our house. My older sister loved it, I loved it, my younger brother loved it.

My dad says he still remembers how vigorously we all three would shake our heads at the repeated line of the story, "But no elephants!" He said he can't wait to read it to the future grandkids. Good thing we kept it!
Maggie Stiefvater
I know this isn't a new book, but it is still hands-down my three-year-old's favorite bedtime story. He will listen to this book back to back night after night. In between the old woman who takes on every animal but an elephant, the pet salesman who tries to foist the elephant upon her, and the various ways the animals help her, there's lots of opportunities for funny voices and sound effects. Definitely a keeper.

***wondering why all my reviews are five stars? Because I'm only reviewing my favor
Shayla
This book is about an old woman, Grandma Tildy, who is visited by a man who sells animals. Grandma Tildy continuously buys the animals that the man sells her, but she says she will never buy an elephant. These animals make Grandma Tildy’s life better, and they all help one another out. The man eventually leaves the elephant at Grandma Tildy’s house, in the winter. She lets the elephant inside and he eats all her food, and breaks her home. But then the elephant walks, and walks, and walks, to a t ...more
Kellie Callahan
This book is about Grandma Tildy, and the man who keeps selling her pets, and every time she buys an animal from him, she exclaims, “But no elephants!” At first, she buys a canary bird. Then, a beaver. And all of the animals help her around the house. And then, she buys a turtle, but no elephants. And then, she buys a woodpecker. After that, the pet man asks her if she’d like to buy an elephant, because he’s the only animal left and he needs to sell him before winter. She exclaims “No! No elepha ...more
Melanie
An old classic about Grandma Tildy who enjoys living all alone. One day a salesman stops by and asks her if she would like a bird. Grandma Tildy accepts the bird but ensures that the salesman understands that no elephants are welcome. This continues until Grandma Tildy has a bird, turtle and a beaver. The house is pretty full when the salesman stops by for the last time and only has the elephant left. Grandma Tildy wants nothing to do with the elephant, so he sits out in the cold, miserable unti ...more
Megan
I used to love this book as a child. This litle old lady buys just about every type of animal from a salesman. Every time she refuses to buy the elephant though. Eventually the salesman just leaves the elephant on her front door. It rains and snows and finally she lets him come in. He turns out to be a real help to her...and well its just a charming book :)
Rachel
This has been my favorite book scince I was really little I give it 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,00,000,000 stars out of 5 READ IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Carrie Stephens
One of my ALL time favorite childhood books.
Caranna
One of my favorite stories as a child now lives again as a favorite of my children.

Grandma Tildy lives all alone until the pet man comes and asks if she would like to buy a pet. Grandma agrees and finds that she enjoys the company.
The pet man returns and every time he does Grandma answers, "Very well. But No Elephants."
Every new addition is able to help Granmda in it's own way. The canary sings, the beaver cuts logs, the woodpecker fixes the roof and the turtle gave Grandma a ride home from th
Angie
My mom recently cleaned out the house and found a bunch of books from when we were little. Of course she gave them all to me. They certainly bring back memories of reading them over and over and over again. 30 years later and I still remember these stories. The books themselves may be a little worse for wear but the stories are still wonderful.

I adore this book. I think it was truly my favorite growing up. The poor sad elephant!
Anthony W
He is a book that deals with a grandma that would buy animals from the local pet man everytime he offered. Every animal she agrees to get helps her with the work she has in some way. The pet man always offers an elephant until one day she gets him, which he causes problems for her daily until one day he saves the day.

Here is a clever cartoon book with colorful pictures. The cover has a picture with an elephant getting stuck while trying to enter the house. Then you open up to the title page and
Alice
3.75 stars I think I am going to call this the Florida book...why? Because a cold winter happens and she buys all the animals and pets in the neighborhood but has no room for the elephant...but he will get cold.... so they try to get him into the house. He walks and walks and walks to a nice warm place and they are still here. I like the pictures, the story is good but in Florida.... I see no ELEPHANTS!
Marissa J.
This clever, somewhat repetitive book, is one about a grandmother who keeps taking animals offered to her by the local pet man. Each animal she takes serves a purpose, except the elephant that she originally refused to take. The elephant only causes problems for the grandma until the end of the story where he saves the day.

A cartoon illustrated book, But No Elephants has many pictures that cover its colorful pictures. The book cover is actually a picture that appears later on in the book. This a
george
Grandma Tildy lives all by herself and works very hard. One day a pet salesman comes to her door with a truckload of animals and asks if she would like a bird--Grandma Tildy says yes, but "No elephants." The bird helps her and the pet man returns again and again offering different animals. She always says yes, but "No elephants." The animals work with her and make her life a little happier and easier. Until one day the pet man just leaves the elephant at her house. Now what is Grandma Tildy to d ...more
Lauren Dixon
My grandma read it to me when I was 3 or 4 and fell in love with it. She had 2 copy's of it and let me have one. When I was little I hated reading but I would read this book everyday. My mo began to hate the book.
Dayle Lynne
I;m fairly certain this was my favorite book as a child. I'm sure I made my mom read it to me over and over and over again . . . and once I could read it myself, I read it over and over and over again. (In fact, I think I memorized every word before I could actually read.) I still have my childhood copy (now sitting on my daughter's bookshelf) and it's one of my most treasured books.
Rachel
loved this book as a kid, just found it at my parent's and read it to my son, he loves it too. I even had used boxing tape when I was younger because the book was falling apart (that's how much I read it)
Carol
My grandchildren's favorite book. Was a favorite of my kids as well. Have read it many many many many times. Never too many times, if they want to hear it again.
Kari Burke
What a fun story! This was one of my favorites when I was little. I'm enjoying it just as much now as I share it with my own children.
Yassie
hehe one of my fave childhood story~! I feel sorry for the elephant especially when winter came but it all ended well~~ ^~^
Erin Hanton
A cute, repetitive book that I adored as a kid, and now my daughter gets to enjoy it as well!
Amber
All time favorite. I am so happy to read this to my kids. The illustrations are priceless!
Lisa
I loved this book so much as a child, now my daughter loves it. So loved it is falling apart!
Jessica Robinson
My brother and I loved this book growing up. I can't wait to read it to my own children.
Karen
May 06, 2014 Karen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids
Recommended to Karen by: garage sale :0)
My kids love this book. A cute story about how an elephant helps a grandma to retire.
Olson Family Matters
Cute read - both Madelyn and Sydney loved. Recommended by EY as a book his girls loved1
Rachel
My son loves this book and has such compassion for the elephant :)
Nichole Kullman
One of my favorites as a kid, and one of Ad's favorites now!
Ashley
One of my absolute favourite books as a child.
  • Henry's Awful Mistake
  • Popcorn
  • Pickle Things
  • "Stand Back," Said the Elephant, "I'm Going to Sneeze!"
  • Socks for Supper
  • The Tale of Timmy Tiptoes
  • Come Over to My House
  • I See Kitty
  • Mortimer
  • Seven Hungry Babies
  • Is There Really a Human Race?
  • Turtle's Penguin Day
  • Alphabet
  • Suppose You Meet a Dinosaur: A First Book of Manners
  • The Witch Next Door
  • Mama Cat Has Three Kittens
  • A Book
  • Dinosaur Bob and His Adventures with the Family Lazardo
Wheels on the Bus I Like Pumpkins The Wee Witches' Halloween Elephant Goes to School Sammy Salami