Start by marking “When Someone Very Special Dies: Children Can Learn to Cope with Grief” as Want to Read:
When Someone Very Special Dies: Children Can Learn to Cope with Grief

When Someone Very Special Dies: Children Can Learn to Cope with Grief

A practical format for allowing children to understand the concept of death and develop coping skills for life, this book is designed for young readers to illustrate.
Published July 23rd 1996 by Woodland Press (MN) (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about When Someone Very Special Dies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Someone Very Special Dies

Books Ring Mah Bell
Mar 03, 2009 Books Ring Mah Bell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidsbooks
I stumbled across this while looking for another book on grief for my 3 year old. While this one may be a bit "beyond" him, I'd suggest it for any older child dealing with loss.

3 things I liked about this book:

1. It's in a workbook form, allowing guided drawing as the child reads along. (therapeutic!)

2. A few pages talk about all the different reasons why people die. Whatever you said did not cause the death... Let's face it, young children are sure their words and actions have serious power. (r
Jona (w/out an 'h')
Nov 26, 2016 Jona (w/out an 'h') rated it it was amazing
Marge Eaton Heegaard is a gifted psychotherapist. Her work on grief issues is a contribution to the resiliency of the human spirit. If you know of a child which someone very special has died, share this book with the child.
Haleigh Calhoun
I chose to read this book for a few reasons. For starters, my Dad recently died. I am just now at a point in my life where I can begin to pick out books like these in order to do a part of grieving. This book is an interactive book, pages to color, places to write how you feel, and why things happens. There are plenty of pages with things about death and pages in which someone can write about what they know about death. It is a children's book, but I can say from experience that I would use this ...more
Kathryn Hogan
This book is phenomenal when dealing with many different emotions. It specializes in how children can feel when dealing with death of a loved one, but also goes into many more emotions such as happiness, love, who loves them personally, how the child might feel, and the things they can do to deal with their emotions. It is an interactive book where students can color the pages themselves and write about how the feel. I also can see the book already filled out by a previous student that dealt wit ...more
Arin Williams
Jan 10, 2014 Arin Williams rated it it was amazing
The book is intended as a workbook for children ages 6-12 to work out their feelings about death and loss through drawings. There are six sections: 1) Change is a Part of Life, 2) Dead is the End of Living, 3) Living Means Feeling, 4) Feeling Better, 5) Sharing Memories, and 6) I’m Special Too. Each page gives a drawing prompt and affirmation; most pages are blank apart from a few words, to allow for maximum drawing space. The language used is direct and easy to understand without being oversimp ...more
Jasmin Thompson
This is a great book to teach children about death. It explains what happens when someone special dies, this also talks about when pets pass away. The book is designed for ages 6-12. Children can draw pictures to express their feelings.
Sam Malcolm
Jan 19, 2010 Sam Malcolm rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Though i would never read this aloud to my class, this is an excellent book to let a child read who has lost someone special because it explains the feelings that someone will have when someone dies. Great at explaining grief and cope and change.
Megan Breslow
Jan 19, 2010 Megan Breslow rated it did not like it
I hate this book. It would be a good gift for a child who has lost someone and is not ready to talk about it. You color pictures and draw how you are feeling. I really did not like some of the descriptions of death they seem a little harsh for a child.
Olivia Bailey
Aug 23, 2011 Olivia Bailey rated it it was amazing
This book can help students deal with death. It gives them the chance to interact with the book by writing,coloring, and expressing oneself. The book can also help with learning about life: the cycle of it, the important things, and how to deal with it.
Lauren
Teaches children that death is a natural process and that it's ok to be sad about death. Allow the students to draw and write out their feelings about a recent and certain traumatic death. Best for school councilors or if a student may need some copping time.
Lucia Benzor
Sep 15, 2010 Lucia Benzor rated it did not like it
Didn't understand the purpose. Very boring. Seemed like a wordbook almost. Not a book. Too wordy for kids that aren't or haven't been in that position.
This book is good for helping students cope with death and showing different ways for doing it. It highlights the importance of communication when dealing with hard circumstances.
Morgan Wright
Feb 13, 2013 Morgan Wright added it
Shelves: ece-3601
Amazing book that a child could personalize about the person they lost. Could help a student begin talking and sharing about the person they lost.
Takeisha Hannor
Jan 26, 2012 Takeisha Hannor rated it liked it
Shelves: emotions
It was a good book to help children learn how to cope with grief. It includes coloring, talks about change, and shows different facial expressions.
Krista
Krista rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2015
Susie
Susie rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2016
Stewart Davies
Stewart Davies rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2011
Robin
Robin rated it it was ok
Jun 16, 2008
Darla Franey
Darla Franey rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2016
Carol Horton
Carol Horton rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2014
HILDIA FRIGOLI
HILDIA FRIGOLI rated it did not like it
Aug 25, 2016
Sara Brand
Aug 19, 2009 Sara Brand rated it it was amazing
For helping children cope with grief
Anne Mulkeen Murray
Anne Mulkeen Murray rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016
Wendy
Wendy rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2014
Janet
Janet rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2015
Donna Livingston
Donna Livingston rated it it was ok
Jan 16, 2013
Lori Woodring
Lori Woodring rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2014
Jennifer Linde
Jennifer Linde rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2013
Lucy Carlson
Lucy Carlson rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016