Start by marking “"Excuse Me, But I Was Next...": How to Handle the Top 100 Manners Dilemmas” as Want to Read:
"Excuse Me, But I Was Next...": How to Handle the Top 100 Manners Dilemmas

"Excuse Me, But I Was Next...": How to Handle the Top 100 Manners Dilemmas

Have you ever been annoyed by cell phone yakkers, line cutters, or movie chatterers? Been confused about who pays at a restaurant? Received a gift you hated? Fumed over how to respond to a nosy question? America's etiquette expert Peggy Post comes to the rescue in this concise, readable handbook devoted to the top 100 etiquette issues everyone wonders about. You'll learn h ...more
Published October 3rd 2006 by William Morrow (first published October 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about "Excuse Me, But I Was Next...", please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about "Excuse Me, But I Was Next..."

Apr 24, 2012 Bree rated it liked it
Shelves: help-me, non-fiction
A lot of this was common sense if you were raised properly. You just need to stop and think before you do something and really you should never ask a woman when she is due, ever, unless you have seen the sonogram. Save yourself the embarrassment! Many of the place settings and table items I was unaware of because I have never gone/hosted a formal dinner. I also have never been to a restaurant that has a "captain" who is the lead server of the night and probably never will as that kind of place m ...more
Jun 30, 2015 Alyce rated it it was ok
The best thing about this book is the title. But it doesn't even deliver on its promise. My 100 year old etiquette book is more useful- and better written.
There's a story about Emily Post and table manners that people love to hear. While dining with a group of notable ladies, Emily was asked by one of them at the end of the meal: "Why Mrs. Post, do you know that you've been eating from my bread plate the entire meal?" Emily's reply? "Well! Isn't that just like me!" Not one to rise to rudeness, Emily's response also relayed her philosophy-that etiquette is based on the principles of honesty (with tact!), respect, and consideration. Etiquette is a c ...more
Jun 01, 2013 Sharon rated it it was ok
At my stage in life this was not a particularly useful book since it covered a lot of issues about weddings, childrens' behaviors, etc. Some of the answers were embarrassingly obvious--like cover your mouth if you sneeze or cough at the dining table, get help if you're choking on a piece of food, and don't use dental floss at the table. On the other hand, she encourages writing thank you notes for wedding gifts within 3 months (I would have thought one month more appropriate, some of my friends ...more
Dec 21, 2014 Hanna rated it really liked it
For someone who is always trying to improve herself, this book was a necessary stepping stone in the betterment of myself. This book points out dilemmas that I have been a part of and dilemmas that I hope to never see. It is nice to see that some people still care about etiquette and manners. Everyone who needs to download a little class needs to read this (and it's good for those of us who already have manners... everyone can improve!).
Mar 23, 2015 Bala rated it liked it
This is an interesting book on all things manners. I liked it.

Precise questions and concise answers. I listened to the audio version. The reader has done a great job.
Heydi Smith
Aug 24, 2015 Heydi Smith rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult-non-fic
I loved the title of this book, that's why I picked it up. I found the advice rather outdated. I appreciated how the book was laid-out and the light humor throughout.
Jul 29, 2015 Maddie rated it liked it
Adorable. Plain and simply adorable. No one cares about etiquette anymore and it was refreshing to see someone who still cares about being polite and having manners.
Oleg Kagan
Mar 22, 2012 Oleg Kagan rated it liked it
I've read this book in spurts during quiet times at the reference desk and during short breaks at work. For that kind of in-between reading requiring little attention this book was ideal.

Broken up into short chapters, each starting with a question-and-answer, Peggy Post's book is an easy way to learn the basics of etiquette, look up FAQs, and be reminded of specifics. Her advice is not complicated, mainly consisting of the refrain: be considerate of others.

For a comprehensive guide to western e
Jul 02, 2012 Christina rated it liked it
I saw this book at an end cap at the library and it piqued my interest. For the most part, I thought the advice offered in the book was completely obvious. I kept expecting great pearls of wisdom and this book definitely didn't offer that. However, with the short easy chapters and the anticipation of what terrible things some people do right around the next page, I kept reading. I found it very easy to pick up and put down. I can’t say that I learned a whole bunch but I enjoyed it and it got me ...more
Jan 31, 2016 Outmind rated it really liked it

SO MANY RULES!!! And not nearly enough cash to adhere to some of them...
Jul 01, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Picked this up randomly from the library with the idea I needed some pithy or polite one-liners and strategies for navigating Sticky Situations. Also, I wasn't ready to switch to my kids with cancer fiction yet though I know the writing will be leap years ahead.

A fair portion didn't seem applicable to life on the Left Coast but overall found it useful nonetheless. Also also, made me feel tons better about the fact that my future MIL arranged a bridal shower for me (I feared it was an etiquette
Jun 26, 2008 Hilary rated it liked it
Surprisingly interesting even though it's about etiquette. (OK, who am I kidding -- I read advice columns too.) I did find it relatively up to date; it didn't have advice about eating french fries with a knife and fork or anything like that. I liked the underlying viewpoint: that etiquette is about being honest while also making others feel comfortable -- so don't lie when making excuses, but behave as the situation dictates and according to social norms, not according to possibly outdated rules ...more
Oct 22, 2012 Cassandra rated it it was ok
Eh, it was okay. Some useful suggestions sprinkled into the chapters, but on the whole it seemed like a bunch of miscellaneous manners advice was thrown every which way onto the pages, grouped loosely into very short chapters that didn't quite hang together. Also, at least one third of the pages were completely blank. If I'd paid for this book I'd feel ripped off. As it is, I'm taking it back to the library tomorrow, and moving on to something better.
Jan 19, 2010 Sandy rated it really liked it
An interesting book with lots of good information on manners and etiquette, however it is by no means complete or comprehensive. This would be a good book to read when trying to learn more about manners, but it is definitely not a comprehensive reference book on manners or etiquette. (I didn't read this book cover to cover, just skimmed through it as I prepared to teach a group of teens a class on etiquette.)
Melinda Seyler
Mar 12, 2013 Melinda Seyler rated it did not like it
Recommended to Melinda by:
"Excuse Me, But I Was Next...." by Peggy Post
Does it count as reading when you can skim a book in less than 3 hours? It was interesting but entirely predictable. All well and good to say the fall back position for a rude question is "Why do you ask?", but some really rude questions can't be answered that way. Most of this I already knew and the rest I'm not sure I agree with.
Apr 19, 2016 Molly rated it liked it
Shelves: listened-to, 2015
In this etiquette guide, the Emily Post Institute gives advice on how to handle several situations politely from everyday life to special occasions.

I needed something quick to listen to, so I picked this up. I consider a lot of the advice common sense, but there is a good deal of useful information that I will keep in mind as well. Overall, a helpful piece on manners.
Jan 17, 2008 Mako rated it really liked it
This book was filled with entertaining scenarios, some of which I hope I never encounter (writing scathing e-mail about boss and then sending to boss)and more importanty how to tip appropriately. Good manners never go out of style. If you have ever wanted to read people the riot act, you will find that it is not appropriate to point out peoples mistakes!~arrgh....
Dec 07, 2008 Charity rated it liked it
This book spells out etiquette by answering questions about how to respond in situations that call for good manners. I realized upon reading this book that I have unknowingly committed many of the faux pas cited within. So, if you have ever inwardly shaken your head at my manners, know it was in ignorance. No longer. Now I will plead imperfection.:)

May 01, 2009 jenna rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
A fun, quick read. Well organized and concise. I find etiquette books very enjoyable to read and interesting, as well as useful. Having read many, I appreciated this one as a modern addendum. It includes many situations that pertain to adults with and without children; i.e. dinner parties, some dating, fashion, etc.
Oct 05, 2012 Anne rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this for the light reading and reminders of etiquette. I especially enjoyed the chapter on cell phones. Apparently we really don't have a year to give a gift following a wedding. That's an urban myth. Also, apparently it's not best to ask a widow whether the spouse had life insurance!
Mar 04, 2009 Rose rated it it was ok
This is an okay book. It's a much shorter version of Emily Post's Etiquette. As in, most of the passages are verbatim out of that larger, more comprehensive book.

It's treated as more of a question and answer format than a Compendium of All Etiquette that was the larger book.
Richard Stephenson
Sep 28, 2011 Richard Stephenson rated it liked it
I liked it.

I may be the untypical guy, but most of this seemed rather "common sense" to me. That doesn't mean I didn't like hearing some corroborating evidence, though! :) A couple of these were new to me and I can see this as a nice primer to a journey down etiquette lane.
Jan 10, 2010 Carol rated it it was ok
This book reminded me of the time I mistook an older sister for "the mom" when talking to a few customers at work. This is a quick fun review with the advice such as,putting off nosy questions with a laugh and complaining to mgmt instead of making a scene.
Apr 22, 2009 Milah rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I tend to be too nice to strangers and I picked this up in hopes of getting polite ways to be more assertive.I enjoyed it, skipping over a few chapters that weren't of interest to me, but laughing at some of the other situations (having been there).
Mar 26, 2010 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chcpl, audio
Mostly YAWN! First of all, this was an abridged book, which I don't normally read. I think I would have preferred much more humor rather than this typical by-the-book etiquette lesson. Helped the hours at work drone away.
Jan 03, 2008 Amber rated it liked it
Hey! My etiquette isn't as bad as I feared even if I didn't know how to seat dignitaries at a dinner party. Now if only we could get this book into the hands of all those loud cell phone users and deli-counter line jumpers.
Jun 29, 2009 Chris rated it really liked it
Don't know why, but I like reading etiquette books. I find them interesting, and I liked this one. It had lots of practical, every day dilemmas, apart from what fork to use with fish and all that fussy stuff.
Jun 06, 2008 Rachel rated it liked it
I liked reading this, it helped remind me of my manners...I also learned some things I need to work on. Great source for what do to in uncomfortable situations.
Oct 08, 2010 Dani rated it really liked it
It was more enjoyable than I thought. I picked it up and just started reading, the only down side is I feel so rude now! Haha! Oh well, always room for improvement.
  • The Civility Solution: What to Do When People Are Rude
  • You: Being Beautiful: The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty
  • The Real Simple Guide to Real Life: Adulthood made easy.
  • Multicultural Manners: Essential Rules of Etiquette for the 21st Century
  • Lawrence Zarian's Ten Commandments for a Perfect Wardrobe
  • Hungry Girl Official Survival Guides
  • unSpun: Finding Facts in a World of Disinformation
  • The Fabulous Girl's Guide to Decorum
  • They Have a Word for It: A Lighthearted Lexicon of Untranslatable Words & Phrases
  • The Simple Rules of Love
  • Celebrate
  • Get Organized the Clear & Simple Way: Reclaim Your Home, Your Office, Your Life
  • Style Bible: What to Wear to Work
  • A Life Like Mine: How Children Live Around the World
Peggy Post, Emily Post’s great-granddaughter-in-law, is a director of The Emily Post Institute and the author of more than twelve etiquette books. In March, 2011, Peggy began a new question and answer column with the New York Times called The Well-Mannered Wedding. The column aims to address modern day wedding conundrums and provide advice for the soon-to-be-wed.

Currently, Peggy is actively invol