E. B. White Box Set

E. B. White Box Set

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  2,066 ratings  ·  63 reviews

Charlotte's Web
pictures by Garth Williams

The Newbery Honor-winning story of a remarkable pig and the spiderwho changed his life.

Stuart Little

pictures by Garth WilliamsA most unusual mouse sets out on the adventure of a lifetime.

The Trumpet of the Swan

new pictures by Caldecott Honor Artist Fred MarcellinoThe joyous tale of Louis, a trumpeter swan in search of his voice.

Published October 3rd 2000 by HarperCollins (first published September 1972)

Dia
Stuart Little was my favorite of the three -- sometimes a mensch, sometimes a dandy, like a two-inch high Groucho Marx, this brave and competent dreamer applies his ingenuity to all manner of fixes that can arise for a mouse in a man's world. Louis the swan is a similarly quixotic character, but his story is more conventional and sentimental. Wilbur, however, didn't seem to do much at all other than appear "terrific" and "radiant" as suggested by his guardian angel-spider. All three books featur...more
Sandy Wang
Raegan
I know Charlotte's Web is a classic but it's a little depressing to be meant as a child's book.

The Trumpet of the Swan is definitely more of a favorite to me than the other two. This is the second time I've read it to Isabella, she doesn't remember the first, and she really enjoyed it. She is 6 now, and she understood the story much better. Her love for animals really helped her to appreciate the story more as well.

I read Stuart Little to her a couple years ago and I can't really remember the d...more
Andrea
Nov 27, 2007 Andrea rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Sandia
This book is about a girl that loves animal particular his pig and she lives with his dad. As you read the story there is a part about her pig that her dad wanted to sell it in a festival. She ask and ask to her dad to not sell the pig. The day came and the festival was starting then someone buy.The pig had a horrible time with his new owner but, the pig love the girl. He make friends of some spiders, but that didn't make he happy at all so he escape and lost. In this is time he was lost and wa...more
ladydusk
Own.

We've now read all of these, but it was supposed to be for The Trumpet of the Swan.

We all loved it. We being the children and me. It was weird. I didn't expect it to be weird in the same way as Stuart Little and Charlotte's Web are, but I suppose I should have. I loved the book, it was a joy to read.

N-boy and R-girl liked the part about Camp KooKoosKoos. M-girl liked when Louis got his trumpet. I loved the chapter at the zoo where he negotiated freedom (although I was disappointed in some o...more
Troy
Includes three of the best loved classics in childrens literature. charlotte's web is a newberry Award-winning story of one fine swine and a spider named charlotte who changed his life forever. The Trumpet of the swan is the joyous tale of Louis a trumper swan in search of his voice. stuart Little is the story of a most unusual mouse that sets out on the adventure of a lifetime.
Amber
I read this book with my boys. They absolutely loved Charlotte's Web. Stuart Little was not quite as entertaining for them, and we have just started Trumpet of the Swan. I read the book myself before reading it to my boys, and it brought back the memories of reading about Charlotte and Stuart in elementary school. They are all fun stories about extraordinary animals doing things that they could only do in our imaginations!
Erin
May 29, 2007 Erin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: People who love reading to their children
The cool thing about having kids, is getting to re-read all the stories I loved as a child. I read this book to my kids over Christmas break, 2006. They LOVED it. In fact my son just asked me last night if I could re-read it to them over the summer. I said we could. This book teaches children about self-confidence, hope and friendship. Well, it teaches everyone that.
Rebecca
Trumpet of the Swan was the one which was read from this slip-covered collection. My children--up to age 14--enjoyed it right well.

It was a pleasant surprise to me, never having read this humorous tale by E. B. White. One character was over the top, but we all had many giggles from this work.

Without doubt,it shall recur in the reading line-up.
Shea
I read this collection to my sons, aged 8 and 5. Of the three stories the "Trumpet of the Swan" was their favorite, followed by "Charlotte's Web" and then "Stuart Little." They liked "Stuart Little" until the end or lack thereof in their opinion. They did not like that it just stopped without any resolution to the search for Margalo.
Nicol
I like this book so much. Fern`s heart is so kind. If I was fern I
will just uconcern. But fern saved 1 being. I like the character`s heart. Aso it was a good idea (Charlotte the spider make some words out of the web). That makes reader fun and amazing. And farn animals trouble was great. Wilbur escaping...
Kathy
I read this book, not this edition, and loved it. Charlotte was my favorite character, and what sparked my interest in entomology. It was my favorite book as a child. I also liked Stuart Little. I don't recall reading The Trumpet of the Swan. I may have, but will have to read or read it again to find out.
Janet
I will not lie I never know these movies were based on books. I seen it in the trunk of my mother's car and begged her to let me read it. I enjoyed Charlotte's web and the trumpet of the swan. Stuart little story was weird to me and I didn't like the ending at all but besides that they were cute stories.
Susan
This was one of my most adored books of my childhood along with Charlotte's Web and Stuart Little. For some reason nobody ever saw the screen adaptation a few years ago (I heard it wasn't too good anyway), but it is a shame that more children are not being exposed to this touching, beautiful story.
Kristen Marincic
Charlotte's Web and The Trumpet of the Swan were very good. I didn't care for Stuart Little as much. It lacked cohesiveness, something that the movie did a much better job of. This is one of those rare books where I think I would say the movie was actually better.
JSou
I love this! I always wanted a nice copy of Charlotte's Web for my kids and was thrilled when I found this collection of E.B. White. This one has definately been read a lot!
Mary
We have taken sides:
my favorite is Trumpet of the Swan,
Dave's is Stuart Little,
Caoimhe's is Charlotte, ever Charlotte.

update: summer is a hot and distracting time to commit to books without pictures. We shall return, in the long long winter.
Hoang Anh
They are lovely stories about friendship, love and the courage to live one's own life. E.B.White's works have clear expression and smart choice of words. He posseses talent to make his characters as well as his child readers's worlds better and brighter.
Deana Rogers
Aug 02, 2008 Deana Rogers rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: everyone
I read this collection of 2 great stories to my 5 year old son. No pictures, just your imagination. Very visual stories. Trumpter of the Swan is a must read for everyone. It is a love story, a story of childhood and family. Absolutely terrific!
Dioscita
I will be forever grateful to E.B. White for these stories. It's a tie between Swan and Charlotte, but for very different reasons. Stuart, on the other hand, I could take or leave (but don't tell my niece I said so).
Kayley Mae Reynolds*:)
it was a good book but a sad one i read it in like third grade and i cant wait to read it again because all the memories are going to be great and i hope that one day i will be able to read it to my kids lol
Danny
I remember being very facinated with what the spider would write next. I also remember the baby spiders leaving home and thinking how different than people. Now I think that was somewhat naive.
Dawn-Desiree
I read this when I was a child....a book from one of my Aunts who keep me in books!
Clara
CHARLOTTE'S WEB is one of my favorite books ever, a wonderful story with humor, affection and meaning.
Worth reading again and again with children or without. Radiant!
Snoddjac0
It is a great book that is filled with joy,sadness,happyness,@ adventure,sometimes for reading log I get so hooked I read in bed.You will looooooooooooove it.
Pam
My favorite childrens classics. They were read to me by a school teacher in the third grade; and her name was Ms. Poteet. I will never forget her.
Oct 01, 2009 Jennifer rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: youngsters
Shelves: children-s-book
This is such a great book to read to your kids or for a young kid to read. I remembe reading it when I was younger and loved rereading it again.
Jodi
Charlotte's Web was my favorite in this collection. Stuart Little was also really fun. Trumpet of the Swan was probably my least favorite.
Nicole
This will always be one of my favorites. I first read it in second grade. I've read it many times. Read it again lately and still love it.
Janet
I remember reading this book in school. It was a great book. Without a doubt I am going to end up reading it once more some time soon.
  • Naya Nuki: Shoshone Girl Who Ran
  • Puff, the Magic Dragon
  • Hope for the Flowers
  • Jean and Johnny  (First Love, #3)
  • Guinea Pig in the Garage (Animal Ark, #19)
  • The Heir of Mistmantle (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #3)
  • Miss Hickory
  • The Gypsy Game (Game, #2)
  • Mrs. Piggle Wiggle Box Set
  • Gentle Ben
  • Animal: The Definitive Visual Guide to the World's Wildlife
  • Encyclopedia Brown Solves Them All (Encyclopedia Brown, #5)
  • Misty Morgan
  • The Story of Little Black Sambo
  • What Your Preschooler Needs to Know: Read-Alouds to Get Ready for Kindergarten (Core Knowledge)
  • Daughter of the Mountains
  • The Complete Adventures of the Borrowers
  • Your Favorite Seuss: A Baker's Dozen by the One and Only Dr. Seuss (Classic Seuss)
Elwyn Brooks White was a leading American essayist, author, humorist, poet and literary stylist and author of such beloved children's classics as Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, and The Trumpet of the Swan. He graduated from Cornell University in 1921 and, five or six years later, joined the staff of The New Yorker magazine. He authored over seventeen books of prose and poetry and was elected to t...more
More about E.B. White...
Charlotte's Web Stuart Little The Trumpet of the Swan Here Is New York Charlotte's Web/Stuart Little Slipcase Gift Set