Start by marking “Gracias!: A Latin American Journal” as Want to Read:
Gracias!: A Latin American Journal

Gracias!: A Latin American Journal

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  267 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
In this journal of his travels in Bolivia and Peru, Nouwen ponders the presence of God in the poor, the challenge of a persecuted church, the relation between faith and justice, and his own struggle to discern the path along which God is calling him. Nouwen puts his inexhaustible curiosity and hunger for religious experience gladly at the service of a worldwide audience.-- ...more
Published January 1st 1993 by Orbis Books (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Gracias!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gracias!

Elwood
Jun 18, 2011 Elwood rated it liked it
It took me a loooooooong time to read this book.

Nouwen writes this book while spending time in South America trying to determine what he ought to be doing in life.

Looking back over months of reading, here are a few things I've hi-lighted. The hi-lights perhaps say more about me than reveal the message Nouwen wanted to convey. Here they are anyway:

1. Growing older has not made life with God easier. In fact it has become harder...(p.69)
2. But I wonder more and more if the first thing shouldn't be
Jeffrey Nelson
Apr 04, 2013 Jeffrey Nelson rated it really liked it
Powerful journal that documents cross-cultural transition and a true heart of service from the perspective of a Dutch-born catholic priest.

The book was helpful for me because it formalized some of the parallel lessons while learning to live and receive grace in Costa Rica. The principle lesson being the inspiration for the title: ¡Gracias! – Thanks! On page 16 he states it most directly -

“Gratitude… becomes the central virtue of a missionary.”

The book is a collection of the author's journal entr
Massanutten Regional Library
Raquel, Main patron, July 2015, 5 stars:

Although written in 1982, excellent book about Henri Nouwen's 6 months in Peru and Bolivia and how he discerned if he should live in Latin America. Recommend to readers interested in mission, God's call, or hearing about the struggle of the poor.
Ana Mahomar
Apr 23, 2016 Ana Mahomar rated it it was amazing
Loved Nouwen's spirituality! Perfect for ministry related trips!
Amy
Mar 23, 2008 Amy rated it it was ok
I know he's Henry Nouwen . . . but sometimes the patronizing/simplistic tone made me need to set down the book for a while. (It's a journal, so I guess this should be forgiven.) But also some really good thoughts, helpful as I spend a semester in another culture (similar to the one he encounters in ¡Gracias! - the location is the same, but the culture has certainly shifted in the last 20 years).
Ruth
Apr 30, 2013 Ruth rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful read especially if you are going through your own discernment process. Gracias! chronicles Henri Nouwen's beginning journey that will lead him eventually to L'Arch. Reading his thought processes as he lives among the people of Peru is as if you are sitting down with Henri and having a good cup tea and conversation.
Celina
Jul 15, 2012 Celina rated it it was ok
Shelves: i-quit
I quit. It's nothing like all the other Nouwen books I've read. I found it too slow and lacking in inspiration...which makes me sad because it's perhaps THE most important topic of our time.

...perhaps I'll pick it up again in the future.
Jacob Grady
May 01, 2007 Jacob Grady rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: definitely
For those who love latin america and are interested in its bloody history and current hardships, this is a wonderful peace giving book. Henry Nouwen is a great writer and this is his journal from his time in peru and bolivia.
RF
May 19, 2009 RF rated it it was amazing
Nouwen... nothing is better Nouwen. This was a GREAT book. It would be particularly relevant to people in times of searching and transition.

What a gifted author. I do think of him as sort of a patron saint.

Katy
Nov 19, 2010 Katy rated it really liked it
I read this during my month in Haiti. Nouwen's journal of seeking his calling in Latin America. A great book as a precursor to a missions trip.
Lauren
Oct 02, 2008 Lauren rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in Latin America and/or serving the poor.
Recommended to Lauren by: Heather Mickelson
Many of the chapters deserve 5 stars, but many others were slow for me. I'd recommend it, the good chapters are worth the rest.
Nels
Apr 22, 2012 Nels rated it really liked it
Henri Nouwen's inspires me, and rocks my worldview. I recommend this book for anyone searching a different perspective.
Sep 12, 2010 Laura rated it liked it
Reflections on the meaning and purpose of serving the poor from a Catholic perspective. Very honest and touching.
Julie Goff
Dec 23, 2007 Julie Goff rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all
What a refreshing reflection on time spent in Latin America...but really, would we expect anything less from Nouwen?
Allyn
Nov 21, 2008 Allyn rated it it was amazing
This was an important part of my personal devotional in Central America.
Michael Mulberry
This book helped me to understand my time in Chiapas.
Chris Wheatley
Sep 15, 2007 Chris Wheatley rated it liked it
read it in mexico... df baby.
Liz
Liz rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2016
Anthony
Anthony rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Kristi Burns
Kristi Burns marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Anna Sivak
Anna Sivak marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Rebekah
Rebekah rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Yanna826
Yanna826 marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
N R
N R is currently reading it
Mar 15, 2016
Darrin
Darrin rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2016
Zoe
Zoe rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2016
Christina
Christina rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2016
Sue
Sue rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2016
  • The Sign of Jonas
  • Wounded Prophet: A Portrait of Henri J.M. Nouwen
  • The Promise of Paradox: A Celebration of Contradictions in the Christian Life
  • Telling Secrets
  • The Violence of Love
  • We Drink from Our Own Wells: The Spiritual Journey of a People
  • In Good Company: The Fast Track from the Corporate World to Poverty, Chastity, and Obedience
  • Devotional Classics: Selected Readings for Individuals and Groups
  • Let Me Speak! Testimony of Domitila, a Woman of the Bolivian Mines
  • A Glimpse of Jesus: The Stranger to Self-Hatred
  • The Desert Fathers: Sayings of the Early Christian Monks
  • Maurice and Therese: The Story of a Love
  • Theirs Is the Kingdom: Celebrating the Gospel in Urban America
  • Living Gently in a Violent World: The Prophetic Witness of Weakness
  • The Sacrament of the Present Moment
  • The Wound of Knowledge: Christian Spirituality from the New Testament to St. John of the Cross
  • Run with the Horses: The Quest for Life at Its Best
Henri Jozef Machiel Nouwen (Nouen), (1932–1996) was a Dutch-born Catholic priest and writer who authored 40 books on the spiritual life.

Nouwen's books are widely read today by Protestants and Catholics alike. The Wounded Healer, In the Name of Jesus, Clowning in Rome, The Life of the Beloved, and The Way of the Heart are just a few of the more widely recognized titles. After nearly two decades of
More about Henri J.M. Nouwen...