Start by marking “Killing Me Softly” as Want to Read:
Killing Me Softly

Killing Me Softly

Bestselling author Devyn Dawson brings to life this beautiful tale of triumph over disaster.

Life hasn't been easy for Holland. At nineteen she's juggling a job, college courses, and caring for her mentally ill father. When her best friend Andy died, so did her escape from her real life.

Tate enjoys his life as an air traffic controller in the Air Force. When he was stat
Published June 29th 2014 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Killing Me Softly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killing Me Softly

Tia Bach
Jul 15, 2014 Tia Bach rated it really liked it
A best friend often gets us through the hardships of life and becomes like family. For Holland, that person was Andy. One senseless car accident took Andy's life, and Holland was left to face her troubles--her mother abandoned her and her father is bi-polar--alone.

Tate is stationed at Tinker Air Force Base and sings in bars at night, but he's so much more than that; he has a plan. Holland's drawn to him, but her father has expressly forbidden her to become involved with anyone in the military. A
Jane
Apr 04, 2015 Jane rated it liked it
3 Stars

I have to say I was hooked on this story from the very start, read late into the night and was annoyed that my eyes would no longer focus forcing me to break off from the read until morning. It is a simple tale of a young girls difficult life and ambled along at such a steady pace that I’m not quite sure what had me so engrossed!

My heart went out to Holland from the preface where we learned about the death of her best friend Andy, add to that the fact her mother had left the family when H
Kim
Mar 24, 2015 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of Killing Me Softly in exchange for an honest review!

Holland a 19 year old who had to grow up too fast. Her mom leaves and she is left caring for her mentally ill father. She loses a friend and tries to adjust to life without her. She mets Tate who is in the Airforce but also is a singer. They developed a relationship and she trusted him enough to open up. Well dealing with a mentally ill parent can't be easy for anyone but Devyn Dawson showed the struggles a child has when th
Hayley Guertin
Dec 26, 2015 Hayley Guertin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-list
Killing Me Softly was a nice, cute little romance that I enjoyed very much. Going into this book, I was convinced that it would be all about romance and the budding relationship with the main character, but I was proved wrong immediately.

There was a ton of action and a surprising amount of twists and turns that I didn't expect. There was definitely a lot going on that kept me enthralled throughout the entire book, and wanting to know where different things would take me in the story.

The author
Amber
Apr 17, 2015 Amber rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I have read by Devyn Dawson and I had been wanting to read her work for a while now. I really loved Killing Me Softly, it was very refreshing to read something that was out of the norm of Paranormal or Fantasy. I really loved Tate's character, he's very determined and goes for what he wants. Holland on the other had has had a very rough life and is still living in a nightmare on a daily basis. She doesnt have very many friends and she's always been warned to stay away from ...more
Anima
Jul 12, 2014 Anima rated it really liked it
There's a lot going on with this romance. Tate is an old soul, a classic gentleman working for the Air Force and singing in clubs. Holland has grown up far too quickly. Her mother left and her father is mentally unstable. As the bread winner it's been tough for her to enjoy life as a young person should. Tate sees the beautiful giving person she is and helps her feel young. The author writes a beautiful love story with very serious topics. Losing a close friend tragically and being a ...more
Jenny
Nov 20, 2014 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Holland lives with her mentally unstable dad, she does everything to try to help him. Her mom left her when she was a teenager and then her best friend dies in a car accident.

Holland meets Tate at a coffee shop where he is preforming, he had been in her store requesting a refund and recognized her. He convinces her to go out on a date. Tate still has to deal with her friends death and her dad not wanting her to 'leave him' but she makes time for him. Their relationship continues to progress tho
Crystal
Mar 24, 2015 Crystal rated it it was amazing
Killing Me Softly is a sweet read that I enjoyed. The characters meshed great together and the story was amazing. The death of her best friend and her unstable father has left Holland to grow up a little to fast. Holland was always warned to stay away from military men. Why?? Because they break hearts; or so she is told. Then she meets Tate. Sparks fly and the chemistry is undeniable. Overall, this story is amazing. I have read other works by this author and this novel is one of her finest.
Charlene
Jul 10, 2014 Charlene rated it really liked it
A copy was given for an honest review.
Wonderful book, full of sweet moments and romantic scenes that kept me up all night reading. Devyn Dawson writes such a beautiful love story with very serious topics. Though her life is not the typical 'teenage' lifestyle, having to care for a mentally ill father after her mother left them, Holland and Tate somehow manage to find time for themselves. I look forward to more books about this couple, maybe about some of her friends or Tate's friends too.
Kami
Mar 12, 2015 Kami rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, romance
Holland loses her best friend and she takes care of her mentally ill father. Then through a series of coincidences, she starts seeing a guy, Tate. This is your typical new adult romance. I thought it was cute if slightly predictable. The writing is good and the pacing is good. Holland is a sympathetic character, a lot of hardships are thrown at her but she is strong and overcomes. 3 stars.
Amber Clark
Jul 30, 2014 Amber Clark rated it it was amazing
Killing Me Softly is my favorite book by Devyn....so far that is....
Holland's story is tragic, sad, and heartwarming. Tate comes along with his beautiful voice and songs than helps her turn it all around. They both go through trials along the way that just ends up pulling them closer together.
It really is a beautiful love story but it's not all butterflies and kisses....but so worth reading!
Mayra
Sep 11, 2014 Mayra rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading Killing Me Softly. I got tears in my eyes a few times. I LOVE TATE! Holland and Tate make the perfect couple. What I didn't like was that the end seemed rushed. I even went back to make sure I didn't somehow skip a chapter. I definitely want to read more about Tate and Holland.
Crystal w
Jan 07, 2016 Crystal w rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a good story. It is about a girl who takes care of her father. He has issues. She meets a guy and falls in love. In the beginning she loses her best friend and her whole world turns upside down. The only good thing she has right now is the new boyfriend.
Sue
Oct 08, 2014 Sue rated it it was amazing
Great cozy love story - loved the main characters! Had a nasty twist in it that I did NOT see coming (kudos author Devyn Dawson!!) and a lot of great supporting characters. I really liked this book!
Natalie Alder
Jul 24, 2014 Natalie Alder rated it really liked it
It was a sweet story that took place with characters who were faced with some of life's greater difficulties. I enjoyed the array of characters as well as the amount of realism in the story. There was a change in the names of two characters midway through but otherwise well edited.
Daniele Lanzarotta
Sep 24, 2014 Daniele Lanzarotta rated it it was amazing
Great twist! I usually see them coming, but not this one. I can't wait for the next book.
Abbie
Oct 05, 2016 Abbie rated it liked it
An okay read, but it took me a while to get into it.
Megdelasur
A lot going on here

I'm surprised the mc is still standing. Dealing with a bipolar relative, the death of her BFF, loss of her mother and a new relationship, all the while working and attending online courses, but magically finding a rich, stable boyfriend who doesn't pressure her for sex...and recovering from a major accident while her estranged mother establishes contact. Whew! Sounds overwhelming? These are the major plot points hit upon in this novel. I would have preferred a more focused app
Elsie Caba
Aug 24, 2016 Elsie Caba rated it it was ok

I had very high expectations about this book based on the reviews and the description, but I ended up dissapointed.

I liked the main characters, but everything seemed rushed, they would jump from a moment to the other with saying anything and I got lost at times. The reason her dad didn't like military people was just plain, and the way they decided to deliver the twist about it was just wrong.

The story was not bad but it could've been better presented.
Kathryn Knapp
Aug 08, 2014 Kathryn Knapp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Great read

I wanted to try something new and I am so happy that I did! this book is fun and sweet with little romance thrown in!
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2014
Naomi
Naomi rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2014
Helen Brown
Helen Brown rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2014
Janine Wildes
Janine Wildes rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2015
Melissa Mccauley
Melissa Mccauley rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2014
Allana
Allana rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2015
Misty
Misty rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2014
Wendy
Wendy rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Karla
Karla rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2014
Lesley Peck
Lesley Peck rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Bittersweet Obsession
  • NOT A BOOK: Hasty Resolution
  • Deciding Tomorrow (These Days, #3)
  • Lightning (Sleepy Hollow, #1)
  • Catch That Santa
  • Searching for Love (Carson Hill Ranch, #2)
  • Doom & Gloom
  • To Refine Like Silver
  • The Dead Tree
  • What a Woman Needs (Manley Maids, #2)
  • Hearts on Fire (Hearts on Fire #1)
  • You Smiled (Clairmont Series #1.5)
  • Date and Dash (Better Date than Never #10)
  • Intimate Caresses (The Love and Danger Series #2)
  • Finding Eva (Highland Creek Series, #1)
  • As I Am
  • Deadly Chemistry (Sex, Lies, and Science Geeks, #1)
  • First Class Justice (First Class Novels, #3)
If you want to stalk me, find me on social media to find out all about my books coming out. Go sign up for my newsletter on my website. Every month, I give away gift cards and goodies. You'll be the first to know about discounts and freebies. I don't spam you. Be in the know!

More about Devyn Dawson...