Start by marking “Understanding Islam, Revised Edition: An Introduction to the Muslim World” as Want to Read:
Understanding Islam, Revised Edition: An Introduction to the Muslim World

Understanding Islam, Revised Edition: An Introduction to the Muslim World

3.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  146 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
An informative and insightful introduction to Islam, both as a religion and as a political-economic force.
Audio, 0 pages
Published November 1st 2011 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Understanding Islam, Revised Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Understanding Islam, Revised Edition

Mohamed Shedou
Good book. Not written the way a Muslim would write it, and believing Muslims won't like some details and conclusions here and there. However the writer is fair and objective, which I liked.
May
Jun 13, 2011 May rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book on a lark at a Japanese Second hand store near the NYC Main Public Library. I realized that although I am knowledgeable about many religions, I do not know anything about Islam. Yet, what is happening with this religion, the roots of where it came from, has shaped much of foreign policy in the world today.

For example, they call it the world's youngest religion as it post-dates Christianity. I did not realize the extent to which is is based on Judeo-Christian writings. Musl
taarak
Apr 16, 2007 taarak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another apologists view of Islam but less fawning. It does at least give the pretence of trying to present a fair balanced picture of Islam.

Since the Gulf War, many have asked the question, "Why do Middle Easterners think and act as they do?" Of the 1.3 billion people who today follow the Islamic faith, all are profoundly affected by the teachings of Muhammad and by Muslim traditions that have developed over the past thirteen hundred years. This comprehensive guide offers an informative and insi
Del
Jan 07, 2016 Del rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid introduction to the basic tenets of Islam and some of the historical background of its creation.. Interesting and easy to read.

Listened to the unabridged Audible.com audiobook version.
Ethan
Jan 16, 2016 Ethan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. My worldview has been greatly enhanced, and now I feel that I can participate in real conversations about Islam without ignorance being any great obstacle.
More on the blog.
Mariana
Apr 25, 2016 Mariana rated it liked it
Available, easy introduction.
Paul
Nov 21, 2008 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, though it's a good bit out of date. I would have liked to get post 2001 analysis on how radical Islam has changed over the past few years. In general though, a decent primer on a major world religion that most westerners look at with a sense of suspicion and darkness.
Kahilidoc
This is a decent review of muslim history and the arab world, though not in great detail. I'd recommend this for people who want cursory knowledge of muslim culture. Bernard Lewis is really my favorite author on this subject.
Kat
Dec 28, 2015 Kat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seemingly well done summary of the history of Islam. A good source to start with in researching the topic!
Beth
Apr 19, 2015 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Dry, but accessible description of the formation of Islam and what it looks like today. Good for an objective viewpoint and detailed religious, political, and historical information.
Luke
Oct 06, 2012 Luke rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I figured it was time to better understand this fascinating religion beyond it's western caricatures. This book does a pretty good job of sharing both its history and core beliefs.
Holly
Feb 26, 2009 Holly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This one wasn't as good as Armstrong's book, but there were a few gems of knowlege I appreciated getting from it...especially how it all went wrong between Jews and Islam.
David
Jul 07, 2009 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worthwhile overview of the religion and its practitioners, although somewhat, but not unjustifiably, apologetic.
Andrew
Jun 25, 2008 Andrew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
i thought it was an average coverage of Islam. nothing to get too excited about but not bad either.
Svenja
Jun 17, 2013 Svenja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant introduction to the Muslim faith and Islamic political thought.
Ron
Jul 18, 2007 Ron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative. Historic in approach.
Jamie Bigham
Jun 15, 2012 Jamie Bigham marked it as to-read
Shelves: audiobooks, islam
Narrated by Nadia May. 8 hours
James Mak
cursory, but a good introduction
Chris Craddock
Chris Craddock marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Wolfgang
Wolfgang rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2016
Bret
Bret rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
Antonio Bustillo
Antonio Bustillo rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
Christine Shouldis
Christine Shouldis rated it really liked it
May 13, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Jeremy R
Jeremy R marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Mandy
Mandy rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Kathleen Twitchell
Kathleen Twitchell marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Amy Montes
Amy Montes is currently reading it
Mar 30, 2016
Cameron Powell
Cameron Powell marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Blog: Understanding the Information Reformation That's Changing Your World
  • Sacred Places of a Lifetime: 500 of the World's Most Peaceful and Powerful Destinations
  • The Oxford History of Islam
  • Taming the Gods: Religion and Democracy on Three Continents
  • Africans: The History of a Continent
  • Rethinking Muslim Women and the Veil: Challenging Historical & Modern Stereotypes
  • Islam Observed: Religious Development in Morocco and Indonesia
  • Why Religion Matters: The Fate of the Human Spirit in an Age of Disbelief
  • The Case for Democracy: The Power of Freedom to Overcome Tyranny and Terror
  • Japan: A Modern History
  • Heat Wave: A Social Autopsy of Disaster in Chicago
  • Daughters of Another Path: Experiences of American Women Choosing Islam
  • Natural Selections: Selfish Altruists, Honest Liars, and Other Realities of Evolution
  • Sufism: An Introduction To The Mystical Tradition Of Islam
  • The Muslim Jesus: Sayings and Stories in Islamic Literature
  • How to Shit Around the World: The Art of Staying Clean and Healthy While Traveling
  • In Search of Islamic Feminism