Start by marking “The Anglican Way: A Guidebook” as Want to Read:
The Anglican Way: A Guidebook

The Anglican Way: A Guidebook

The Anglican Way is a guidebook for anyone interested in following Jesus as an Anglican Christian. Written for both the newcomer and the person who wants to go deeper, this book answers hundreds of questions about history, theology, worship, and more. Learn about this ancient but fast-growing branch of the Body of Christ. Let this guide help you as you walk the Anglican ...more
Published April 4th 2014 by Colony Catherine, Inc. (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Anglican Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Anglican Way

Chris Lee
Dec 16, 2014 Chris Lee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christianity
This book is incredibly good. I'm normally the world's slowest reader but I burnt through this in... *checks Goodreads*... sixteen days. Thomas McKenzie writes in an incredibly clear and readable manner. And for me, a newcomer to Anglicanism, the content was just so insightful and interesting.

My favorite part of the book was the first section, in which McKenzie explains Anglicanism as encompassing many different facets of Christianity—all godly and good but limited when held in isolation—using t
Kristi
I would probably really be giving this book 4.5 stars, but I'll round up. I rank it highly because it really impacted me. The book first tackled what is meant by the "Way" of Anglicanism and then dives into Anglican distinctives and philosophy. He uses a compass rose image to show how Anglicans are found on a spectrum of beliefs, but all can be characterized as evangelical, catholic, orthodox, charismatic, activist, contemplative, conservative, and liberal. The tension or seeming contradiction ...more
Greg
May 30, 2014 Greg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anglicanism
My review at Anglicanpastor.com:

The Anglican Way by Thomas McKenzie is an overview of Anglican spirituality, worship, devotion, theology, and practice. Fr Thomas is the first pastor of Church of the Redeemer, Nashville.

In the name of full disclosure, Thomas writes with me at AnglicanPastor.com, and is a friend. He asked me to read the original manuscript version, and we had several conversations about this project as it was in progress. So this will be a friendly review, but I’ve left nothing ou
Dean P.
Oct 21, 2014 Dean P. rated it really liked it
Shelves: anglican
A fantastic introductory overview to the Anglican tradition. McKenzie, an Anglican priest, works hard to cover the bases while not seeking to be comprehensive on every subject. He also widely admits when he doesn't fully know, especially when he is speaking about other traditions.

He also does a good job of not selling the "my way or the highway" approach. Rather than try to convince the reader that Anglicanism is the right and supreme tradition, McKenzie wisely handles the questions and allows f
Adam Shields
Oct 13, 2014 Adam Shields rated it really liked it
Short Review: This is intended to be an introduction to Anglicanism for new converts, but also would make a good discussion book for an adult eduction class. Because it is newly written, it feels fresh and recent, while communicating the weight of the tradition and the importance of Anglican distinctives. I have read other similar books for other Christian traditions and few of them are able to communicate their own tradition without condemning other traditions, but this one is gracious, ...more
Matthew
Jan 22, 2016 Matthew rated it it was ok
Interesting overall but concerning regarding author bias

An interesting book as someone that has come to the Anglican church in the last couple of years. I would like to be able to recommend this book.
However, in certain areas it does not describe the Anglican church I know. For example, in reference to Bishop Gene Robinson. This isn't surprising considering the author is part of the Anglican Church of North America (which is not a member of the worldwide Anglican Communion). What I find odd is
Jonathan Aman
Jan 21, 2015 Jonathan Aman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not Anglican, but I've been attending an Anglican church for a while and knew next to nothing about Anglicanism. All of my church experience is in the Baptist denomination, and I thought I'd get to know some more about my church's background. I have to say this was a fascinating read. It would be easy for an author to present this content in a purely academic manner, but McKenzie didn't settle for that. Thank God! His sense of humor and genuine spirituality show through, and I enjoyed ...more
Melissa Travis
Jan 10, 2016 Melissa Travis rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderfully accessible yet detailed guide to the Anglican Church. McKenzie does an excellent job of helping the reader to understand the theological richness and holistic Christian spirituality that the Anglican way offers. I appreciated his very ecumenical attitude. The timelines and reference sections were helpful bonuses. Highly recommended!!
Joey
Jun 20, 2016 Joey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A reasonably thorough overview of the Anglican distinctives, highlighting the flexibility within its boundaries. It's honest - but gracious- about those churches and leaders who are still labeled Anglican or Episcopal, but have clearly departed the faith. This seems like a great intro to the denomination that answers many typical questions.
Jacob Davis
An informative, readable, and much-needed one-stop primer on Anglican tradition and practice, The Anglican Way is an indispensable resource for anyone interested in learning more about this "way" of being Christian.
Ryan
Jun 04, 2014 Ryan rated it it was amazing
Great introduction. As an Anglican Priest, I will certainly be recommending this book to people interested in, or beginning to follow Jesus in "the Anglican way."
Jonathan Huggins
Jul 11, 2014 Jonathan Huggins rated it it was amazing
The first book I'd give to anyone interested in Anglicanism. Read it and rejoice.
Jonathan Green
Nov 16, 2016 Jonathan Green rated it really liked it
Succinct yet informative

Not being overly familiar with the actual practices and traditions of the Anglican Church, I found this brief yet thoroughgoing book to be just what I needed for my continuing investigation of the Canterbury Trail.
Elliott Pardee
Oct 17, 2016 Elliott Pardee rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone curious about Anglicanism and/or the Episcopal Church
Pretty good introduction to Anglicanism and what it stands for. The only downside that I had was that I already had known a lot of this in advance, but that isn't the book's fault.

My reason for a missing star is mainly because I feel like it could've told a lot more about the history of Anglicanism and the origins of it than it did. It's a great book, but it wouldn't hurt to add more.
Arron
Sep 17, 2016 Arron rated it liked it
Pretty decent overview of Anglican theology and practice. The waffling stance against the heresy of the Episcopal church is troubling, but otherwise, I'd recommend to anyone interested in Anglicanism.
Stephanie
Jun 03, 2016 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
As someone coming from the strongly evangelical, low-church environment of the Southern Baptist Convention to a parish in the ACNA, I found this book incredibly helpful for understanding the whys and hows of Anglicanism. This book is a great overview of the history of Anglicanism; of its practices, traditions, and beliefs; of its structure and organization of leadership; and of current issues within the Anglican world. It is a helpful book for understanding the reasoning behind things that were ...more
Hunter
Nov 15, 2015 Hunter rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
An excellent gude to the Anglican Church by a Rector from Nashville, TN. Not intended to be an academic work, McKenzie explains many of the practices of the Anglican Way that would be puzzling to a modern person unfamiliar with this branch of the Christian Faith. Not picking sides on the issues facing the orthodox Anglican Communion, like women's ordination, etc., McKenzie is fair to both Anglo-Catholics and Evangelical Anglicans and everyone in between.
Charise D.
Apr 16, 2015 Charise D. rated it it was amazing
This book answered nearly all of my questions about the Anglican way of being a Christian. Thomas McKenzie is able to explain matters simply without talking down to the reader. I thought this book would be merely informative, but it encouraged me in my faith. He did not dwell long on the problems in the contemporary Anglican church, and though it's possible to detect his opinion on many of the issues, I believe his treatment is fair. A very good book that is both enjoyable and educational.
Jared Tremper
Apr 29, 2015 Jared Tremper rated it really liked it
Solid coverage of Anglicanism for the uninitiated

Accessible yet thorough, this book answers many questions and explores the wide array of beliefs and practices in this global church. It paves the way for assimilation whilst avoiding a sense of arrogance that Anglicanism is the purest form of the church today (as none truly are). Very helpful for those curious or considering Anglicanism.
Thomas Achord
Jul 20, 2015 Thomas Achord rated it liked it
Shelves: theology
Extremely accessible and readable. I would recommend this to anyone who is interested in an Anglican 101. My only complaint is that I was looking for something more in depth. Perhaps it would be better for someone who is already Anglican, and lay person, and who wishes further to understand their practices. An outsider looking for substantial reasons for Anglicanism would do better to look elsewhere.
Dwight Davis
May 25, 2015 Dwight Davis rated it it was amazing
This is an incredibly helpful book explaining the basics of Anglican theology and practice. I'm so thankful that Fr. McKenzie has written an accessible book on Anglicanism. I would not hesitate to give this to parishioners seeking to understand our tradition a little bit better, and it could be very helpful to those outside of Anglicanism with questions as well. An outstanding resource.
Paul M.
Nov 30, 2014 Paul M. rated it really liked it
The book was an excellent guide on how Anglicans actively live out Christianity; however, despite the fact that the term Gospel is used frequently in the book, I don't feel like it was ever clearly defined. While the book is intended for Christians exploring Anglicanism, all of the tradition and the meaning behind it is nothing without a clear understanding of the Gospel it's meant to represent.
Catie
Sep 14, 2015 Catie rated it liked it
Overall, this book did for me what I wanted. :) I wanted to know more about the Anglican church (but not too much so that I got lost!) and this book did that. I also realized that I don't agree with everything the Anglican church teaches. :) So again, Mr. Mackenzie, you did your job! If you want to know what it means to be Anglican (is that a word?) is, this would be a great resource.
Tamara Hill Murphy
Feb 04, 2016 Tamara Hill Murphy rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this wonderful book for anyone wanting an overview of the Anglican tradition. It's a comprehensive history of Anglicanism (i.e., what the heck is up with Henry VIII??) but also that it is accessible and current in its description of a way of worship embraced by 80 million people across the globe today.
Jon Beadle
Jan 04, 2016 Jon Beadle rated it really liked it
An excellent introduction into a new wave of Anglicanism that is quickly seeing a resurgence for the mystical and the evangelical in unity. My wife are looking into this stream currently and find the author to be refreshing.
Bob Ayres
Aug 07, 2016 Bob Ayres rated it it was amazing
If you only purchase one book for understanding Anglicanism, this is the one. Very readable without compromising the depth of the topic. Will recommend it to often.
Rachel Murphy
Dec 08, 2015 Rachel Murphy rated it really liked it
Helpful basic idea. Just learned though that the author is kind of part of a "breakaway" church that is quite a political issue at the moment.
Hobbitviolinist
Hobbitviolinist rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2014
Ben Reed
Ben Reed rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2015
Danny Biles
Danny Biles rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Evangelicals on the Canterbury Trail
  • Beyond Smells and Bells: The Wonder and Power of Christian Liturgy
  • Being Christian: Baptism, Bible, Eucharist, Prayer
  • Answering God: The Psalms as Tools for Prayer
  • When the Kings Come Marching In: Isaiah and the New Jerusalem
  • On Social Justice: St. Basil the Great
  • Creeds of the Churches: A Reader in Christian Doctrine from the Bible to the Present
  • The World as I Remember It: Through the Eyes of a Ragamuffin
  • 3 Crucial Questions about Spiritual Warfare
  • Living the Christian Year: Time to Inhabit the Story of God
  • Bonaventure: The Soul's Journey into God, the Tree of Life, the Life of St. Francis (Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • Happiness and Contemplation
  • Weakness Is the Way: Life with Christ Our Strength
  • Watch for the Light: Readings for Advent and Christmas
  • Let Justice Roll Down
  • Against Calvinism
  • Art for God's Sake: A Call to Recover the Arts
  • The Christian Tradition 2: The Spirit of Eastern Christendom 600-1700
Thomas McKenzie lives in Nashville with his amazing wife and two terrific daughters. He was born and raised near Amarillo, Texas. His Bachelor's degree is from the University of Texas at Austin, and his Master's Degree in Divinity is from Trinity School for Ministry in Ambridge, Pennsylvania.

Thomas is a priest of the Anglican Church in North America and the Anglican Diocese of Pittsburgh. He's the
More about Thomas McKenzie...

“Love is the most easily dismissed of God’s commandments and characteristics. Christians sometimes seem to say, “Of course we should love people, we all know that. So now let’s get on with what we really want to do—fight about theology!” But love is the central Christian ethic, it’s the heartbeat of the church. It’s central to us because it’s essential to God. “God is love,” says the Bible (1 John 4:8, NIV). At the core of the Trinity is a love relationship between three Persons. God cannot be separated from love. Love is his nature. Unless the church is actively living out the reality of love, there is little reason to debate theology. And unless the church has a healthy theology we won’t recognize true love when we see it.” 2 likes
“The evangelical Anglican preacher Charles Simeon said, “My endeavor is to bring out of the Scriptures what is true and not to trust in what I think might be there.” 1 likes