Start by marking “Fullmetal Alchemist, Volume 4” as Want to Read:
Fullmetal Alchemist, Volume 4

Fullmetal Alchemist, Volume 4 (Fullmetal Alchemist #4)

4.55 of 5 stars 4.55  ·  rating details  ·  7,080 ratings  ·  122 reviews
When two brothers dabble in the mystical powers of alchemy to alter the natural world, one of them loses an arm and a leg, and the other becomes a soul locked in a body of living iron. Now they are agents of the government, slaves to the military-alchemical complex. Illustrations. Rated for older teens. (Graphic Novel)
Published November 8th 2005 by Turtleback Books (first published January 20th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Fullmetal Alchemist, Volume 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fullmetal Alchemist, Volume 4

This is at once both my favorite volume and one I can't stand. A testimony to the writing and characterization, I suppose, but that doesn't mean I don't quietly resent it.

(view spoiler)
King Haddock
This volume was so good (Maes Hughes!! And I thought I was prepared after what happened with Nina and Alexander), and the wait for volume 5 from my library was so long that I gave up and watched the anime (Brotherhood, not the first version)....and now I have no way to coherently speak about this series, I love it so much. The family relationship! Ed and his absolute devotion to getting Al his body back! Al and his conviction that he won't let others suffer in his quest to get back to normal! Co ...more
Devan, Sarcasm Expert
Oh my god. This one won me over. There is this one heartbreaking scene in this manga - I'm sure other readers will know what I'm talking about - that is just so good. Absolutely fantastic panelling. I'm glad we get to see some more brother dynamics in this volume.
Maria Kaye
For some reason I've always felt bad when the slicer brothers died :/
FINALLY!!!!! I have at last succeeded at getting my hands (alas, no auto-mail) on the 4th volume of Fullmetal Alchemist! I'm so happy! I swept through this very awesome volume in one day!!!
Now #SPOILER# when Hughes died in the tv series, I cried my eyes out, something I'd never thought I'd do. Ever. BUT I did! Ahhhhh I miss him. Rest in piece Mr Awesomness :(
But when I came across the scene of his death in the manga...I CRIED! Not as much as I did when I saw it on TV, but my cheeks ended up ver
After the horrific events in volume 3 the Elric brothers spend most of volume 4 recovering from their wounds whether physical, mental or emotional. Laboratory 5 is destroyed and in its aftermath Ed is hospitalized with serious wounds and Al is left reeling from the words of doubt planted by Barry the Chopper. Winry also makes another appearance to fix Ed’s auto-mail arm with the missing bolt. Both brothers have time to reflect on their actions both past and present and in some cases are given a ...more
Sarah Sammis
Fullmetal Alchemist Volume 4 by Hiromu Arakawa is the last of the manga volumes that parallels the first anime series. However, the pacing here is more abrupt than what fans of the anime might be expecting.

I'm speaking primarily of Maes Hughes. So much of his character in the manga is built in the after story extras that people reading just the actual chapters will be shocked at how quickly his story arc plays out.

For the most part my favorite version of Fullmetal Alchemist is the original manga
Edward Elric wanted to know about the philosopher's stone and others can't let him find out, but when he finds an alchemy laboratory he fights a soul which tries to tell him what it does but the enemy strikes. So he fights another alchemist which defeats him and destroys the label almost killing him. Then he does not give up on his search but has to get stronger first and goes back to his memories. Fullmetal alchemist is about courage, strength, and love.
Diana Lynn
Ugh...I was dreading when it would come and here was: the sadness...when I watched the original FMA, I was sad, in Brotherhood, I cried and same here. This volume is my favorite one yet. I love the beginning which swung over from volume 3's cliffhanger, and the hospital, birthday, and Hughes stuff in the middle was hilarious. The end was PAIN...he was my favoriteeee (other than Mustang gyeaaa)...I was thankful for the extras at the very end seeing the little dog (aw) and the comic strips with ou ...more
Scott Lee
I'd heard about Fullmetal Alchemist for years and have been on a bit of a Manga/Anime binge of late, watching the original Fullmetal Alchemist anime with the Brotherhood version to follow, reading the manga, looking into Akira, and gathering copies of Bleach, Trigun, Deathnote, and others.

This volume was excellent, like the others, and as I've seen myself and learned online the show and comic are quickly diverging at this point. I have thoroughly enjoyed this material. Hiromu Arakawa writes a w
The funeral scene in this volume is one of most heartbreaking funeral scenes I have read in a long time. This was only possible through well crafted characters and plot that made the reader care about the lives of the characters more than just two dimensional representational ink on a page. This, combined with continuing adventures of the Elric brothers and yet more revelations about the deeper plot, make this a great volume in the series.
Because I saw the anime first, the pacing of this volume seems a bit off for me. Certain events feel out of order, indeed a particular event happens "too soon". Nevertheless, another strong outing and another worthy read.
The death which happens in this volume was what really hooked me when I watched the anime and I think this is where the manga really steps up too. Or, to be honest, two things in the story this time really won me over and has me settled in for the long run: the aforementioned death, and the introduction of Barry. Alphonse's identity crises is really interesting both in terms of what it means for his character development and as a proper good question for the reader, too. The art is also already ...more
Another 4.5 Stars

Volume 4 picks up right where we were left off with the fight scene at Warehouse 5. Because of something said during the battle, Al and Edward's relationship sours a bit, while Edward is laying in a medical clinic trying to recover from his many injuries. Who or what can help them back to their loving companionship?

As with the first three volumes, the balance of action, touching moments, humor, and mystery is perfection. This volume brought laughter and tears. The author is skil
L'histoire en elle-même n'avance pas trop dans ce tome, mais ce n'est pas pour autant inintéressant. L'intrigue est toujours là. Et l'auteur nous "lâche" quelques nouvelles informations..
Mrs W
The boys’ past adventures have given them knowledge and new ideas, but they’re basically back to the beginning of their quest for the Philosopher’s Stone and the restoration of their original bodies. The brothers’ relationship is tested, and there’s another punch to the feels-gut. (I once again refrained from throwing the library book against the wall in protest.) This one leaves a lot of questions that I’m eager to have answered. Bring on volume 5!

I’m still loving the magic system and the rules
Disclaimer: This is a 100% honest and not a spoiler-free review. However, I will try my best to minimize the amount of spoilers.

Fullmetal Alchemist is one of the best manga series of all time, people really love this series, as well as the two anime series of this. Written and illustrated by Hiromu Arakawa, Fullmetal Alchemist is a tale of two brothers named Edward and Alphonse Elric. These two set out on a journey to search for a philosopher's stone in order to restore their bodies ba
Federiken Masters
Oct 03, 2010 Federiken Masters rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Todo el mundo.
Recommended to Federiken by: Lo que hubo y lo que habrá.
Y tras la conclusión de las peleas, la diversión y los debates filosóficos del tomo anterior, viene la muerte. Y nada más ni nada menos que la de uno de mis personajes favoritos. ¿Por qué era de mis personajes favoritos? Principalmente por el desarrollo que había tenido en la versión anime: acá es igual de simpático, disparatado e inteligente, pero hay muy poco tiempo para tomarle cariño. Lo presentan, le muestran sus mañas y un centenar de páginas después, cae muerto, en circunstancias igual de ...more
Roy: "Looks like it's starting to rain"

Riza: "But..It's not raining..."

Roy: "Yes it is. This is the rain."

Starting right were the last one left off, we find Ed face to face with a different enemy, one who we know even less about but has been there from the start. Unlike with the serial killer, who we also see some more of in this book, this group has been more discrete with their killings but makes it obvious that they will stop at nothing to prevent Ed from uncovering the secrets of the
My favorite book of the whole series.
Great series in general--art, the little extras in the back (BLACK HYATE! *grin*) and the storyline. This is really the big turning point where there's a huge "oh s*** something huge is going on here.*
That funeral scene. That is EXACTLY what it's like to lose someone.
"Yes it is. This is rain."

and before that, Hughe's daughter...
"Why are they putting daddy in the ground?]
just everything after that. OHHH MY GODS SO HORRIFYINGLY CUTE AND TEAR
Peter Purushothaman
This volume was a very good, emotional addition to the series. We see the two brothers in their first major fight and unfortunately see a good character to their end. Although through all the sad parts of this novel we see some good ones as after their fight the brothers seems to have an eve stronger bond. We even see the strong and brooding Colonel Mustang crying!
Nicole Fowler
Oh my gosh! I don't quite understand the hidden agenda of the Seven Deadly Sins, but they definitely continue to surprise me. Plus, the death of one of the characters in this book was absolutely heart-wrenching. This series makes you feel some very strong emotions, there's no doubt about that- most happy but a lot are just plain sad.
Oh, I think this is the volume where a significant human character dies and I angrily texted Carrie about how a cat also died. But then at the end the cat goes to cat heaven and I was soothed.

I read books through a filter that highly prioritizes cat activities.
Amy Yeap
Oliver Hodson
Loving where this series is going. Great characters, and the mythos grows. There is a mix of action, humor, and drama, snd still a lot of introgue about whether the boys will get their bodies back.
  • Bleach Volume 23: ¡Mala Suerte! (Bleach #23)
  • Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE, Vol. 16 (Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE #16)
  • D.Gray-man, Vol. 5: Announcement (D.Gray-man, #5)
  • Death Note, Vol. 10: Deletion (Death Note, #10)
  • Rurouni Kenshin, Vol. 5 (Rurouni Kenshin, #5)
  • Naruto, Vol. 13: The Chunin Exam, Concluded...!! (Naruto, #13)
Hiromu Arakawa, 荒川 弘, is a Japanese mangaka famous for the series Fullmetal Alchemist. Her real name is Hiromi Arakawa.

Born on May 8, 1973 in Tokachi, Hokkaidō, Japan, Arakawa was born and raised on a dairy farm with three elder sisters and a younger brother. Arakawa thought about being a manga artist "since [she] was little" and during her school years, she would often draw on textbooks. After gr
More about Hiromu Arakawa...

Fullmetal Alchemist (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 8
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 9
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 10
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 11

“Roy: "Looks like it's starting to rain"

Riza: "But..It's not raining..."

Roy: "Yes it is. This is the rain.”