Start by marking “Mogo, the Third Warthog” as Want to Read:
Mogo, the Third Warthog

Mogo, the Third Warthog

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  26 reviews

Mogo may be the runt of the litter, but he's determined to make it in the tough African savanna. When he and his two brothers are cast out of their burrow in order to make space for a new litter, it's time for each of them to venture out and build a new home and a new life.

But the savanna is full of dangerous predators, and Mogo's bossy and lazy older brothers may not have
Published July 1st 2008 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Mogo, the Third Warthog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mogo, the Third Warthog

Amy
Could be a bit sad, but Napoli deals with this loosely based "Three Little Pigs" story as the "circle of life", the way nature works, survival story. I love the way she chose to use the African savannah as the setting and a warthog and wild dog were perfect characters.
Alex
Aug 13, 2008 Alex rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: animal
Mogo is the youngest of three brothers who all live comfortably with their mother, but when the mother announces that she is going to have another liter it was time for the older warthogs to move. Mogo had grown quite used to the safety of living on familiar ground and finds the move to become independent scary. Forced to find shelter, food, and fight off predators, Mogo is separated from his brothers and strikes out on his own. His only friend is a baboon, and his main enemy is a wild dog named ...more
Tiffany
Loved this book- learned so much science along with following the journey of this little warthog as he learns how to make it on his own (after a rude awakening from his momma as she kicks him out of the best, so to speak).
Kristen
Dec 15, 2011 Kristen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kristen by: Mayor
Shelves: 2011, childrens
This is the December selection for the Mayor's Book Club here in town. I've been reading it aloud to the boys.

The story of Mogo the Warthog living in Africa. Personification is all over the place. I'm really not sure that piggies and baboons feel this way, but it makes for a sweet story and a violent one. The chasing and death is real life animal survival, but rather intense. Still the boys seemed to like it...

I thought the animal facts took away from the story flow, but I learned lots.

And I'm s
Kimbrely
I just finished reading this book aloud to my children. Overall a good book with a good moral. It is a spin on the three little piggies story but about 3 warthogs who must go out on the african plains to find homes. The one who follows his mother's advice survives - and matures/grows up as well. It was a little slow at the beginning (wasn't sure we were going to make it to the end hence the 4 stars) but the boys got into the suspense of the wild dogs in Africa (and we just had to find out what h ...more
Edie
While this book is somewhat disjointed and not as flawlessly written as others by this writer I think kids will enjoy it because it gives a detailed sense of the life not just of warthogs (not an every day topic in kids' books) but also the animals with which they co-exists. So aardvarks make an appearance as well as gazelles, a ratel, mongeese, a baboon and wild dogs. This is not a hard read and each chapter is somewhat self-contained. Don't expect it to win writing awards, but to win over some ...more
Lutz Elementary Media Center
This book is an imaginative retelling of the Three Little Pigs fairy tale. Again, I'm not a fan of stories where realistic animals talk to one another. However, this story kept talking to a minimum andn what dialogue was shared with the reader helped to increase the reader's interest in the story.

The story does a great job of describing the behavior of the many animals fo the savannah and what adaptations they've made to survive the harsh environment.
Christina
We're studying the African Plains right now. This seemed like a logical supporting "text." I've been really disappointed so far. Napoli has sacrificed story and plot for the didactic elements of the book. We know A LOT about warthogs though :). . . We never finished this one. The kids just weren't interested, and frankly, neither was I. One and a half stars.
Susie
This book is a clever retelling of the three little pigs story set in Africa. Mogo is the smallest warthog in his litter, and when he and his brothers are booted out of their sounder, they have to live by their wits as they try to escape a pack of roaming wild dogs. I thought I’d find this book boring, but I found myself rooting for Mogo.
Samantha
MSBA Nominee 2009-2010

This is a re-telling of the Three Little Pigs. I think that the major problem is that this is not the easiest story to adapt. I think the other major problem was that the insertion of facts was rather awkward. I think the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series does a much better job. I doubt this will win.
Vicki
A fantastic look at family life in the warthog world - a group called a sounder, where the females raise 2 litters of their offspring, then when a 3rd arrives, the oldest if they are male must leave. This story is about Mogo the runt of 2 older brothers, and how they make their way in the jungle.
Susan
A gentle book that had to grow on me a bit, Mogo integrates a vast amount of animal life and behavior on the African savannah as told through the eyes of the third warthog brother.
Robert 11
This book is pretty good and I think you would like it. It is filled with adventure and awesomeness.
I think if you read this book you would have another awesome thing to think about.
Donna Jo Atwood
A retelling of the Three Little Pigs. This was like watching a Disney version of the three pigs and the Lion King. Rather disappointing in a Napoli book.
Kim
Lovely little story of a warthog trying to find his place in the world. I recommend it quite often to for a fantasy to readers who aren't into fantasy.
Michelle
The story of Mogo a scared warthog who finds himself out on the savannah left to fend for himself after his mother tells him that he must grow up! SSYRA book.
Rongrong
Supposedly a retelling of the Three Little Pigs, just set in the savanna, with warthogs. Cute enough as a premise, but a little slow to unfold.
Marla
Maine Student Book Award 2009-2010
I loved this book! It is very informative and has wonderful character development. Mogo is my hero!
Kris
Creative retelling of the Three Little Pigs on the African savanna. I'll be using this one next year in the ES Battle of the Books.
Vicki
Rated 3.5
Cute story of a young warthog trying to survive on the African savanna.
Maya
Amazing book!!! Shows you how to survive on your own. Recommend to everyone!!!!!!!!!!
Shanshad Whelan
Neat idea of a retelling of the Three Little Pigs!
Erin
The Battle Books suck this year....
Kim
Reminds me of the Three Little Pigs.
Flyp 2011 Tweens
Aug 26, 2010 Flyp 2011 Tweens marked it as to-read
Shelves: adventure
Sunshine State pick 2009-2010
Eddie F
Read to Mason.
Brittany LeMoine
Brittany LeMoine marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Kara
Kara added it
May 25, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Leilani
Leilani marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
  • Sing a Song of Tuna Fish: Hard-To-Swallow Stories from Fifth Grade
  • I, Jack
  • Once Upon a Twice
  • Brendan Buckley's Universe and Everything in It
  • Piper Reed: Navy Brat (Piper Reed #1)
  • Bird Lake Moon
  • Unusual Creatures: A Mostly Accurate Account of Some of Earth's Strangest Animals
  • Any Which Wall
  • Eleven
  • Out of the Wild (Into the Wild, #2)
  • Maybe Yes, Maybe No
  • Be Glad Your Nose Is on Your Face: And Other Poems: Some of the Best of Jack Prelutsky
From her website:

Donna Jo Napoli is both a linguist and a writer of children's and YA fiction.

Donna Jo has five children. She dreams of moving to the woods and becoming a naturalist. She loves to garden and bake bread.

At various times her house and yard have been filled with dogs, cats, birds, and rabbits. For thirteen years she had a cat named Taxi, and liked to go outside and call, "Taxi!" to
More about Donna Jo Napoli...
Zel Beast Sirena Bound Hush: An Irish Princess' Tale