Start by marking “Manroot” as Want to Read:
Manroot

Manroot

In the spring of 1939, Katherine Sheahan and her father, the taciturn Irishman Jesse, are looking for work in the isolated tourist town of Castlewood, Missouri, which offers bathing, gambling and adultery. Jesse gets a job as handyman and Katherine as maid at a small hotel. Jesse drinks and neglects his work and eventually disappears, abandoning his daughter. Katherine ...more
Published March 15th 2014 (first published September 22nd 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Manroot, please sign up.

Shomeret
Nov 22, 2014 Shomeret rated it really liked it
Manroot by Anne Steinberg is not a new work. According to the About The Author notes, it was Steinberg's debut novel originally published with acclaim in the UK in 1994. I am reviewing a 2014 edition of this novel. I received it as a gift from the author in return for an honest review.

The cover has been praised as being atmospheric. It is indeed, but if this cover had been the only thing I knew about Manroot before I read it , I would have assumed that the book took place in the vicinity of some
Julie
Jan 08, 2015 Julie rated it it was ok
Shelves: e-book, fantasy
Manroot by Anne Steinberg is a 2014 publication, however it should be noted this book was originally published back in 1994 and is now available in digital format.

For me this book got off to a slow start and I just never managed to make a connection with it. It's an odd tale filled with sorrow, pain, violence and very little happiness and as a result I felt completely bummed by the whole experience.

Katherine is of mixed race, her mother a Native American, her father white. After her mother's de
Star
Sep 22, 2014 Star rated it really liked it
Coming to the town of Castlewood, Missouri may have been the best and worst thing to happen to Katherine Sheahan, a girl who is half-Irish and half-Navajo. Her father is a drunk who finally disappears, leaving Katherine to fend for herself. She draws on the teachings of her Navajo mother and grandmother, becoming a healer who can also talk with spirits. She’s also the maid at a small hotel who attracts the notice of a prominent judge, William Reardon. Reardon assuages the weight of his job and ...more
Susan
May 14, 2014 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a mysterious cover on the book 'MANROOT' by Anne Steinberg and if that isn't enough to draw you in, the first few chapters will! Although these first couple of chapters are a little slow compared to the rest of the book, they still draw your curiosity about what is going on, not only by the interesting happenings going on but by the sheer talent of the way the author develops the scene and the characters.

The author choose to start the book with what I would consider the 'background' inform
Stephanie H (My Bookish Itinerary)
(I rate this book somewhere between 2.5 and 3. But decided to round up to 3.)

There are several things that I found interesting about this story, but overall this book is just not a book for me. I liked that the book is different from other books that I have read. And I think that the story is very unique.

The story takes place over a long period of time. Which I found to be different, since most books I read take place over a couple of months rather than several years.

I feel that I struggled with
Heather
Sep 14, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing
Manroot is a story unlike any other story I have read. It is really hard to summarize this book without adding things to it that aren’t in the blurb, and I hate spoilers. I’m just going to jump right into my review.

As Manroot progresses, it felt like we were just going along for the ride, learning about the day to day lives of these people. I don’t know how else to explain it, it ebbed and flowed, it built gently to the to the climactic scenes (I’m not saying the scenes were gentle, because ther
Stephanie Lasley
Aug 12, 2014 Stephanie Lasley rated it really liked it
This story is filled with Navajo myths and superstitions, light and dark magic, secrets, lies, violence and loneliness.
As a young girl, Katherine loved spending time with her Navajo grandmother. Katherine realized early on that she was different. She had the ability to communicate with animals. Her grandmother became deeply concerned when Katherine shared this information with her. The Navajo people believe this ability was a dark gift and anyone that possessed this ability was born under an unl
Sharon Xuereb
Oct 24, 2014 Sharon Xuereb rated it it was amazing
To see this and my other reviews visit Sharon's Book Nook! Blog.

*I was provided a with a copy of this book in return for an honest review*

This is one of those books that will never be "out of date". It is definitely be a tale that will last through the ages.

Beautifully written tale of romance, magic, violence and survival that will bring you joy and break your heart all within its 320 pages.

It starts off slow and you wonder if anything is going to happen and then all of a sudden this book takes
Mary Maddox
Aug 31, 2016 Mary Maddox rated it really liked it
In Manroot Anne Steinberg tells the tragic story of Katherine, who inherits the gift of magic from her Native American mother and nothing but heartache from her abusive white father. After her mother's death Katherine and her father travel from the Southwest US to a small town in Missouri, where they find work at a tourist hotel. There Katherine falls in love with a local judge who hangs out at the hotel with his cronies.

She begins collecting items connected to the judge—a cigarette butt, one of
Cathy Ryan
Jul 26, 2014 Cathy Ryan rated it really liked it

This is a multi-layered story combining magic, fantasy, mysticism, darkness and romance woven together so skilfully into a tale that shocked, saddened and took me by surprise. At it’s heart is a strong and resolute woman, Katherine, a memorable and compelling character who life treated with more than her fair share of tragedy.

The prologue sets the scene, immediately giving a sense of the intriguing story to come…

From the evocative book cover through to the last page I found a haunting t
Tracy Tolkien
May 16, 2014 Tracy Tolkien rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It has the classic storyteller voice which one loved in older authors like Steinbeck but has disappeared from so many books today. I really could "hear" an actual voice when I was reading Manroot.
The concepts are so interesting and genre defying. There is a love story, and occult story, and family saga type story. And wonderful information about the healing power of herbs and basically just the whole alternative health scene. You really root for these characters. They come so
Cheryl
Oct 07, 2014 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Filled with mystery and tales of love

This was quite a strange story. Taking place during a different time and era. Marrying one ethnicity with another creating a child that is part mystical as well as a product of her time. This story carries her from the death of her mother to the trials of being raised by a poor uneducated father who takes her from one town to the next looking for work. Young Katherine is taken in by a woman and sort of growing up in a hotel that sometimes seems like a weekend
Kristine Vigil
Sep 29, 2016 Kristine Vigil rated it it was ok
Kinda boring

I tried to like the book and get into it but never succeeded. Some parts seemed like pointless ramblings. I did finish it but I wish I hadn't.
Karen Voitik
I received this book from the author and from Paranormal Romance and Authors That Rock.

>This book is a stand alone book best classified as an epic paranormal tale.

>We are introduced to a young Katherine and her drunkard of a father as they travel in Missouri looking for work. Katherine is part Native American and she has all the magical mystery that race is known for. She is always remembering her grandmother and her teachings on nature, things to fear and second sight.

>Katherine meets
Linda
Jun 22, 2015 Linda rated it really liked it
Katherine is a motherless Navajo/Irish young woman born in Gallup, New Mexico. She wanders in search of work with her drunken father doing odd jobs. A long way from home in Missouri they are hired with lodging at the hotel Castlewood. It is here that Katherine is taken under the wing of Frieda the house caretaker when she wakes to discover her father has moved on leaving her behind. Frieda teaches her the ways of nature. The woods offer food abundant if one knows where and how to look. Frieda ...more
Vanessa L.P.
Oct 27, 2014 Vanessa L.P. rated it really liked it
Manroot opens in the spring of 1930 with Katherine Sheahan and her father, Jessie, looking for work in the tourist town of Castlewood, Missouri. Jesse gets a job as a handyman and Katherine as a hotel maid. While her father eventually embraces the drink and disappears, Katherine makes a living for herself as a maid after Freida (in charge of the kitchen) takes her under her wing. Freida begins to teach Katherine about the manroot (ginseng) and other herbs in the foothills, and Katherine ...more
Lisa Dess
Jul 14, 2014 Lisa Dess rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
I give this book 4 1/2 stars.

Lisa's Review:

I received this book from the author for an honest review.

This book is filled with a lot of raw emotion. At the point you feel happiness for the characters, something happens and your struck down with another emotion. It's a bit of an emotional roller coaster but it is really well written.

The characters are complex and endure some difficult situations, especially Katherine. My heart really went out to her. She endured a difficult upbringing and as s
N. Kuhn
Sep 23, 2014 N. Kuhn rated it liked it
This could have been an awesome book. But it's so long winded and drawn out that I found myself getting bored. The plot, storyline, spans over the life of Katherine. There's mythical magic and more involved. It's an interesting story, but it certainly could have been written in half the pages it was. There are plenty of parts that I felt had nothing to do with the story other than to build word count. I think if it was shorter, I would have loved it more. Katherine was an interesting character. ...more
Ann
May 13, 2015 Ann rated it it was amazing
Review of Manroot by Anne J.Steinberg

A great little story. The life of a half Indian woman who gained the spiritual sight of her Indian grandmother. It chronicles her life as a young girl on her own and follows her love of a man she can never marry. Stigmatized by her heritage, survival dependant on her native talents, she is enabled to live in the shadow of her one love and her children who carry the mark of her sins. This is a book that you will want to read from beginning to end without pause
Alma  Ramos-McDermott
Jan 29, 2016 Alma Ramos-McDermott rated it did not like it
In the year 1939 Katherine and her father Jesse, who had been traveling the country seeking work, found themselves in the sleepy town of Castlewood alongside the Meramec River in Missouri. There they were taken in by Freda, the head cook of a local hotel, where Katherine soon found herself alone when Jesse decided to set off for greener pastures without her. Read the rest of the review on my blog: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.c...
Donna
Jun 30, 2016 Donna rated it it was amazing
Old days, Old ways

An entrancing tale of a young part Indian child who after losing her mother at a young age travels around with her father. Katherine was born with knowledge and healing powers and when her father abandons her in a small Missouri town she must find her own way. Not really a horror story, Manroot is sometimes scary, sad, happy and mysterious all in one. An awesome story with depth and enough description to see the characters and scenery in your minds eye.
Sara Steger
Feb 20, 2015 Sara Steger rated it liked it
An unusual and gripping story. Once I had read the prologue, I was hooked. I wanted to know more about Katherine and to understand her strength in the face of all the disappointment and tragedy she faced. All the characters were fleshed out beautifully and even the sexual content had context.

I like to read a story that has no echoes of other authors in it. This one fits the bill. It didn't remind me of anything else I had ever read and it was nothing if not unique and unpredictable.
Kate
Jul 27, 2015 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: just-for-fun
Manroot, or ginseng as it is more commonly known, has a long history in herbal lore. In this tale Native American Katherine is not only an expert with native plants and herbs but also is in touch with spirits and the supernatural. Missouri during the Depression sets the stage for her journey. Love, incest, spirits and ghosts accompany her and the story of her twins. Eerie at times but a fascinating and believable tale told with beautiful and descriptive prose.
Leah Speller
Apr 07, 2015 Leah Speller rated it it was amazing
I found this to be a delightful read and a great break from my standard fare of series. There were times though I do wish the author explained things a bit more though I did finally figure it out later.
Karen Hart
Nov 06, 2014 Karen Hart rated it it was amazing
Brilliant and beguiling. I couldn't put it down. Every twist a surprise up to the end. Emotions so deep it aches a little to turn the page, and love so strong, it keeps getting up even after it breaks.
Mrs. Barri Soreil
Aug 28, 2014 Mrs. Barri Soreil rated it really liked it
Interesting and very well done!

Very different kind of story that holds your interest all the way and gives a few moments of discomfort for folks with superstitious tendencies! I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Kristin
Nov 01, 2014 Kristin rated it liked it
Very well written but 3 stars because of some graphic and upsetting content. I'm still turning over some of the magic contained in this tale and the last line of the book makes me wonder about the future of the characters Ina very specific manner.
Julie
Sep 12, 2014 Julie rated it really liked it
I loved the supernatural and mystery element in this story and the twist at the end was one I did not see coming.
Debra Blasey
Debra Blasey rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2014
Lisa Hacker
Lisa Hacker rated it it was ok
Nov 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Ill Wind and Dead Reckoning (Valkyrie #1 & #2)
  • 2:20 (Timeless Trilogy, #1)
  • The Sword of the Banshee (Bold Women of the 18th Century, #3)
  • Wickingham Way (A Harbour Falls Mystery, #3)
  • One Thousand Porches
  • The Trail (A Savage Wilde #1)
  • The Dangerous Thaw of Etta Capstone
  • The Price of Innocence
  • Magic Unbound (Fae Unbound Teen Young Adult Fantasy Series, #1)
  • Rook and Raven (The Celtic Kingdom, #1)
  • The Bathory Legend
  • The Liberation of Ravenna Morton
  • Arnco
  • Iris in Bloom (Take a Chance #2)
  • Love At First Flight
  • Frail Blood
  • The Mirror (Northwest Passage, #5)
  • Stalking Jack: The Hunt Begins (Madeline Donovan #1)