Start by marking “The Life in Christ” as Want to Read:
The Life in Christ

The Life in Christ (Джерела християнського Сходу #12)

This outstanding product of late Byzantium's theological renaissance draws upon the enduring sources of Orthodox spirituality -- the Church's sacramental and liturgical traditions. Cabasilas proclaimed that man's true life lies not in himself but in Christ.
Published August 1st 2001 by St. Vladimir's Seminary Press (first published March 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Life in Christ, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Life in Christ

Daniel
Jun 04, 2013 Daniel rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
I really liked this book, although it took much longer to read than I thought. I was hoping to finish by Easter! However, it was written by St. Nicholas Cabasilas in the 14th century and the original language was Greek. The book covers Orthodox theology regarding Baptism, Chrismation (what the Western Church calls Confirmation), and Eucharist (Holy Communion).

I bought this book in 1999, but it was only now that the Holy Spirit pushed my to pick it up and read it. I'm still not sure that I fully
Nancy
Feb 09, 2014 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, orthodox
A must read! One of the best books for Orthodox lay people to read, written by an Orthodox layman who had a challenging and demanding career In the last years of the Byzantine Empire. He shows we lay people can have great spiritual depth and insight and holy reverence if we live as Christ commands. He also shows how bright Orthodox faith and worship can shine even in the midst of a nation's gasping, death throes. This is an enriching and encouraging book; it is difficult to read it and not grow ...more
Taylor Brown
Jul 05, 2016 Taylor Brown rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thesis
Combining sophisticated theology with practical application of Scriptures, The Life in Christ (books 6 and 7 in particular) is a must-read for any Christian hoping to emulate St. Paul for whom to live was Christ and to die was gain.
Scott
Feb 05, 2011 Scott rated it really liked it
I give it 4 stars our of 5, not because it wasn't great, but because the language tended to get a little stale to me every once in a while. I would imagine it was more to do with the translation than the content, but it was kind of hard to read for me in a few places. Theologically, it is excellent, although Cabasilas tends to lean toward a legalistic interpretation of the atonement rather than the so-called classical idea. Overall a recommended read, but I doubt I would give it initially to ...more
Mina
Oct 19, 2015 Mina rated it really liked it
Despre multe si felurite lucruri se spune ca sunt rele, unele fiind intr-adevar rele pentru lumea intreaga, pe cand altele numai pentru unii oameni, dar rau cu adevarat nu e decat rautatea sufleteasca si pervertirea vointei omenesti.
Matt Root
Mar 01, 2012 Matt Root rated it liked it
An excellent and useful book for Christians, but this volume suffers in some unfortunate translation choices that seen very odd to the Orthodox reader.
Cathy
Cathy rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2016
Joshua Turnage
Joshua Turnage rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2014
Rhonda Dodson
Rhonda Dodson rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2015
FrDrStel
FrDrStel rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2015
Thomas GOSSE
Thomas GOSSE rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2016
Benedict Andersen
Benedict Andersen rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2013
Dorathickyahoo.co.in
Dorathickyahoo.co.in rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2014
Victor C. Domin
Victor C. Domin rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2014
Josh Luukkonen
Josh Luukkonen rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2016
Isaac Crabtree
Isaac Crabtree rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2015
Justin
Justin rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2012
Nathan
Nathan rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2012
Mike Cornett
Mike Cornett rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2015
Matthew Brown
Matthew Brown rated it really liked it
May 10, 2014
Liviu
Liviu rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2015
Jessica Hardy
Jessica Hardy rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2011
Rosemary Peek
Rosemary Peek rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2016
Kristian
Kristian rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2015
Jeremy Ard
Jeremy Ard rated it really liked it
May 31, 2014
Frdaniel
Frdaniel rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2013
Dustin
Dustin rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2009
Tyrporter
Tyrporter rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2014
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2012
Nicholas Cabasilas (Greek: Νικόλαος Καβάσιλας; born 1319/1323 in Thessalonica; died 1392) was a Byzantine mystic and theological writer.

Cabasilas is a saint within the Orthodox Church. His feast day is June 20. The Roman Catholic Church uses extracts from his Life in Christ as readings in the Liturgy of the Hours (Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday of the Fifth Week of Easter in Year II of the two-y
More about Nicholas Cabasilas...

Джерела християнського Сходу (8 books)
  • Лік духовний: Вибране з творів святителя
  • Поучення
  • Невидљива борба
  • Six Books on the Priesthood (Popular Patristics)
  • The Paterik of the Kievan Caves Monastery