Start by marking “The Kidnapped Bride (Redcakes, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Kidnapped Bride (Redcakes, #4)

The Kidnapped Bride (The Redcakes #4)

Pursuing this elusive heiress will be the ultimate temptation…

Lady Elizabeth Shield is used to saving herself from trouble. And even if dashing private inquiry agent Dougal Alexander just rescued her from white slavers, she’s definitely not returning to her stifling aristocratic life and unsuitable suitors. Not when there are other women in danger—and a secret promise to k
Published September 15th 2014 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about The Kidnapped Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kidnapped Bride

Sonya Heaney
There was a lot to like about The Kidnapped Bride. I loved the late-Victorian setting, the use of interesting British locations, and the way the lives of those a little less fortunate than the aristocracy were depicted. Those only reading for the fluffy romantic scenes might not like it, but I appreciated how the characters and plot were well-established before the romance got underway.

I was really enjoying a lot about this book.

However, this is a book in a series, and there’re characters you’re
Cruth
My copy was provided by the publisher via NetGalley for an honest review.

Author: Heather Hiestand
First published: 2014
Length: 4805 locations
Setting: Scotland (Edinburgh), 1889
Sex: Explicit, just the once.
Hero: Younger brother of Title. Private Investigator.
Heroine: Young girl who ran away to marry her sweetheart (a la Lydia in Pride and Prejudice) but now working as a maid.
Includes: excerpt from Christmas Delights.

Good bones with an interesting idea but the writing needs work. The first chapter
Amy
Sep 29, 2014 Amy rated it liked it
A good book, I definitely have to read more of the series.
Patty McKenna Van Hulle
A gutsy hellion is being stalked by a sexy Inquiry Agent, white slave traders, shots fired & a drenching MISadventure across Scotland!

Lady Elizabeth Shield had only 1 friend growing up, her mom, then her mom died, she was an after thought, an obligation & unwanted by her bossy & stuffy older brother, the Marques. After a lonely Season with only 2 "not gonna happen" suitors, she ran from London to Edinburgh into the arms of Manfred Cross, who also didn't want her, but he did allow her
KyBunnies
Originally posted at Bunny's Review

I have not had the privilege of reading any other books in this series. After reading this one I have placed them on my to-read list. Heather woven a very nice tale, but I felt there was more telling than showing throughout the story. Just my preference does not mean anything to anyone but me and how I enjoy books.

The story starts out with Dougal Alexander (I just love the name Dougal) arriving at his current employers business to confer about a missing person
Hannah
Sep 16, 2014 Hannah rated it really liked it
WooHoo! Redcakes #4

I jumped for joy when I saw this up for review, I love this series and it's mix matched couples and sweet happily ever after's. Even as short as this book is it was full of stuff mistaken identity, kidnapping (DUH! the tile) love before marriage, abandoned babies, jumping to conclusions, and quick thought up lies to protect reputations. A very fulfilling story.

In the late Victorian era the Redcake family is just as successful as ever and everyone is happy well not everyone.
Shauni
Originally reviewed for Bodice Rippers, Femme Fatales and Fantasy.

Heather Hiestand's The Kidnapped Bride is an easy fast read meant to be enjoyed. It is book three of Ms. Hiestand's Redcakes Series.

Lady Elizabeth Shield wanted to decide her life for herself. She ran off when her mother died and she felt alone and abandoned. But she really wasn't alone or abandoned, her brothers have been looking for her since she left. Unfortunately for said brothers she doesn't want to be found. While she knows
Amy Alvis
Sep 15, 2014 Amy Alvis rated it really liked it
This is book 4 in the Redcakes series.

Dougal Alexander has been sent to find Lady Elizabeth Shield. After a year of looking for her, he has finally tracked her down. Before he can collect her and take her back to her family, she is taken by white slavers and he must rescue.

Elizabeth is thankful that Dougal has saved her from the slavers, but she is not going back to her family. She doesn't belong there and they will never accept the baby she has taken as her own.

Will Dougal get Elizabeth back t
eyes.2c
Sep 16, 2014 eyes.2c rated it it was amazing
A delicious read!

A Victorian romance with a difference! Scotsman Dougal Alexander, younger son to the Baron of Alix, spends his time as a private detective, occasionally assisting the police with their enquiries. 'He was not interested in the church, law or soldiering ... He was good at solving problems and finding things.' Dougal puts me in mind of another investigator of these times I love, Barnaby Adair from Stephanie Lauren's Cynster series.
Dougal has been hired by Lord Judah Shield to find
Chelsea
Sep 15, 2014 Chelsea rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, historical, 2014
I haven't read the Redcakes series, and I think that might have been detrimental to my enjoyment of this romance. Now, the love story itself didn't seem to require any extra knowledge (and it was more or less insta-love, with the main characters not really interacting until nearly a third of the way into the novel). All the action around that romance though? Lots of references to characters from the previous books, and a lot of pre-existing relationships and connections that I had to either ...more
Cas H.
Sep 03, 2014 Cas H. rated it really liked it
The Kidnapped Bride by Heather Hiestand was a intriguing book.

Dougal Alexander is hired to find a sister, who went missing a year ago. She was last seen in a bad part of town. He must find her as soon as possible.

He meets her, when she appears as a maid at the home of Manfred Cross in Edinburgh, but does not realize it until he sees her borthers. He puts their faces together and realizes that he has just missed her.

He takes a train to go pick her up, only to find that she is not in residence an
Arshia
Jul 15, 2014 Arshia rated it liked it
Short and cute, this story packs a lot of adventure in a few pages. Lady Elizabeth Shield ran away from home a year ago, miserable in her old life she runs off after one of her sister-in-law's brother thinking he'll marry her. However, she's unwed a year later with a young charge, a neighbor's child. Douglas Alexander was charged with two cases, one to find the young lady and the other to find the young man who is a suspected thief. Much to his surprise he finds them together and while he ...more
My Book Addiction and More MBA
Oct 07, 2014 My Book Addiction and More MBA rated it really liked it
#4 in the "Redcakes" series, but can be read as a stand alone. Although, I would suggest reading the others in the series, to learn more background on the heroine & hero, but not necessary to follow this story. A quick, fast paced tale with a few twists and turns. I read it in one setting. Passion, a kidnapping, white slavers, thievery and romance makes this a delight to read. The hero and heroine will capture your heart but leave you longing for more. An enjoyable and satisfying read with ...more
Teresa
Sep 17, 2014 Teresa rated it it was ok
Definitely glad I got this one from the library. First off, I didn't know this was part of a series until after I started reading and realized that I was supposed to know who all these people were. It was not written well to stand alone. Also, it just wasn't written very well period. Some of the language was more convoluted than it needed to be, and I frequently lost to whom the author was referring, or who was speaking. The plot was pretty weak, and the author didn't make me care about the ...more
Mariel Hoss
Aug 15, 2014 Mariel Hoss rated it liked it
*ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

The 4th book in the Redcakes series, though it can stand alone, reading the previous books do give you a sense of continuity. Dougal saved this book for me. He was interesting, complex and relatable. Elizabeth seemed too flighty, especially in the beginning, with her reasons for hiding/running away. She did redeem herself eventually by surviving what "REAL" life threw at her and managing to overcome dire situations. A good read but nothing ear
Maggie Hesseling
Sep 26, 2016 Maggie Hesseling rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Not my favorite of the Redcakes series, but I did really like Dougal. I could instantly picture him in my head. Beth, on the other hand, didn't interest me in the least. I don't know why, but I really just wasn't interested in her. Yes, she went through horrible events, and she had spunk, but she seemed almost childish sometimes and incredibly flat.

I'd have given it 2 stars, if it wasn't for Dougal (and his brother, who I'd love to read a novel about).
Marisa
Aug 19, 2014 Marisa rated it it was ok
Save your money. There aren't many flatter stories than this. Totally one dimensional. The first paragraphs were so boring and filled with unnecessary descriptions that I found it easy to skim to the meat and bones of the book. What I got was a light snack. Not something to fill me up but something leaving me relatively empty and craving something else. The situations were ridiculous and made absolutely no sense. Save your money.

I received this ARC from Netgalley for my honest review.
Indy Peep
Aug 02, 2016 Indy Peep rated it liked it
The shortest novel and the best. Loved the hero, he received the fullest character development while the heroine was left a bit anemic. Still, this story could have been very exciting and interesting if treated as a full length novel, plenty of mystery, intrigue and action. What a shame this story line was chosen for the treatment of a novella.
Kimberley
Jun 18, 2016 Kimberley rated it really liked it
Love a Scotsman... Quick novella for Beth...kinda wish she would have gotten a full novel... Could have made it the final of the series and wrapped up everyone's happy ending...but love Dougal...hope his brother gets a book ;)
Madeline Pruett
Aug 24, 2014 Madeline Pruett rated it it was amazing
My take on this was that Beth was ahead of her time even though she was young and immature. Through the book she matures and I think the author really did a good job of showing what life was like during this time in history.Dougal really adds an element of romance that is very stimulating.
Katherina
Aug 06, 2014 Katherina rated it liked it
The book is okay, a nice read but nothing more than that. I haven't read the previous books in the series, the book might be better if you knew the side characters better.
Amy
Sep 07, 2015 Amy rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite of the Red cake series so far. Just the right amount drama so the book didn't drag on longer than necessary.
Patricia Schuette
Mar 03, 2016 Patricia Schuette rated it it was amazing
The Kidnapped Bride

Bravo another wonderful story about the Redcake family. This one reaches up to Scotland and has white slavers and other interesting things.
Sep 15, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this novella from the Redcakes series. Please read my full review at my blog: http://letague.blogspot.com/2014/09/t...
Jenni Schell
Sep 19, 2014 Jenni Schell rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
I love historical romances and this book did not let me down. The characters were wonderful and the romance was fantastic. I can't wait to read more in this series.
Mae R
Mae R rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2015
Catherine
Catherine rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2015
Amber
Amber rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2015
Bego
Bego rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2016
Isabel C.
Isabel C. rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Heather Hiestand was born in Illinois, but her family migrated west before she started school. Since then she has claimed Washington State as home, except for a few years in California. She wrote her first story at age seven and went on to major in creative writing at the University of Washington. Her first published fiction was a mystery short story, but since then it has been all about the many ...more
More about Heather Hiestand...

The Redcakes (7 books)
  • The Marquess of Cake (Redcakes, #1)
  • One Taste of Scandal (Redcakes, #2)
  • His Wicked Smile (Redcakes, #3)
  • Christmas Delights (Redcakes, #5)
  • Wedding Matilda (The Redcakes, #6)
  • Trifling Favors  (The Redcakes, #7)