Start by marking “Index to Murder (Miss Zukas, #11)” as Want to Read:
Index to Murder (Miss Zukas, #11)

Index to Murder (Miss Zukas #11)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  256 ratings  ·  35 reviews
No one could be more orderly or organized than dedicated librarian Helma Zukas. No one could be more rash and raucous than avant-garde artist Ruth Winthrop. Yet the two women are best friends and a resourceful, ingenious, crime-solving team. So when two of Ruth's latest paintings—each depicting an ex-lover who met a very untimely and mysterious end—are stolen, the amazing...more
Published April 29th 2008 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Index to Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Index to Murder

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz ZafónThe Thirteenth Tale by Diane SetterfieldThe Historian by Elizabeth KostovaThe Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoThe Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
Best Bibliomystery Books
44th out of 108 books — 68 voters
Snow Falling on Cedars by David GutersonSometimes a Great Notion by Ken KeseyThe Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman AlexieThe Brothers K by David James DuncanHotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford
Pacific Northwest Books
365th out of 466 books — 281 voters

More lists with this book...

Denise
Mar 06, 2010 Denise rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone who likes bibliomysteries
As always, I love Miss Zukas. I have corresponded with Jo Dereske recently because someone posted that Index to Murder was the last Miss Zukas book. Thank goodness it is not but the bad news is there will only be one more (unless everyone would write to Jo and her publisher and beg for more). Jo is currently working on the finale to the series. Index reveals a little more of Helma's human emotion. Something that is revealed at the end of the book regarding Helma (and nothing to do with the myste...more
Gail
Nov 06, 2010 Gail added it
Shelves: mysteries
What can I tell you? I love Miss Zukas, that librarian's librarian with her silver dime voice that commands quiet and her expertise and dedication in providing knowledge to those seeking it at the public library. By contrast her artist friend Ruth is wild, crazy, undisciplined, sexual, and disorganized. Ruth is doing an art exhibition on scenes from her life, which means her interpretation of her multivariate love life. Then two of her paintings are stolen and her life is threatened.

Miss Zukas w...more
Rebecca
Goodreads reminded me at the beginning of this month that I was still in the middle of this 259-page paperback, so today I summoned the spirit of Miss Zukas herself, the spit-polished librarian who finishes everything she starts, and got through the task. I don't know why it felt like work, but it did. A complicated plot involving two artists' studios, a chemistry lab, an environmental activism group, and some mysterious face cream, not to mention two murders and a new haircut -- I just couldn't...more
Tracy
OK, this was pretty standard for a Ms. Zukas mystery. I liked that she was starting to break out of her self-imposed rigidity. It felt a little transgressional for her, and that was fun to read. For much of the book, you're not sure that there is indeed a mystery, as the plot revolves around deaths that may or may not have occured under suspicious circumstances. The bone I have to pick is with the advertising on the cover (which almost shied me away from the book). The "rampaging group of local...more
Susan
Helma Zukas' artist friend Ruth is heartbroken, but works her way out of her despair with a new series of paintings. But when two of them are stolen, Ruth is enraged. She's done paintings about the men in her life, and the two paintings that were stolen featured her relationship with two men who died mysteriously. The police are surprised to learn that there is a link between them--but the link is Ruth. Meanwhile, police chief Wayne Gallant seems to be trying to spend some time along with Helma...more
Nancy
May 03, 2014 Nancy added it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Loved it, just wish the next one wasn't the last in the series!
Laurie
Helma's artist friend, Ruth, has had a home burglary. Two of her paintings ready for a one-woman retrospective, but also renditions of Ruth's relationships with two, now deceased, Bellehaven residents have been taken. What is the connection to the 2 supposed accidental deaths? Another curious case for Bellehaven's favorite librarian, Helma Zukas, and her kooky sidekick, Ruth.
Chi Dubinski
Helma Zukas, reference librarian at Bellehaven Public Library, comes to the aid of her friend Ruth Winthrop, when two of Ruth’s paintings are stolen. Is the thief one of Ruth’s former lovers depicted in the paintings? The always-organized Miss Zukas investigates. Fans of humorous mysteries, like those of Carolyn Hart and Mary Daheim, should check out this series.
Stargazer
I can read almost anything about books/libraries/librarians, but this just dragged and didn't have enough books/libraries/librarian morsels for me to try another. Shame.
Ann Costello
One of a long series of librarian mysteries. Miss Zukas is a bit obsessive compulsive, but very kind. She is very particular about her job as reference librarian in a mid-size Seattle-area city. And she solves mysteries with the help of her wild friend Ruth and her other friend, Sheriff Wayne Gallant. Very gentle, funny mysteries.
Maryellen
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I get a big kick out of Helma's friend Ruth. I though the mystery wasn't all that mysterious but I know I read these more for the characters than the plot. I do wish Helma's relationship with the Chief would pick up. And I can't believe Miss Moon gets away with what she does.
Miss Zukas actually changed her hairstyle! But she avoided having to make many other changes by buying her apartment building. What will she do when her car finally gives out? Things are so crazy and unstable!

Miss Zukas, just give in and make that nice policeman happy already. Sigh.
Qiana
One of these series that is like a cozy sweater on a cold day. You enjoy coming back to it again and again. I love the characters and all their litter quirks, even Ms. Moon. The lead into the murder(s) in this books seemed a bit contrived, but I didn't mind it too much.
Jan
Jan 27, 2009 Jan added it
Another librarian book. I like this series, but unfortunately she is mostly a stereotypical librarian. "My" librarian is not stereotypical at all! But it is a good read and gives an inside of library work and the NW part of the country.
Chris
I enjoy this series. Miss Zukas is a very unusual heroine. She isn't very likeable. And yet I find myself liking her. I love the character development of her coworkers at the library. The solving of the mystery is fun and well done.
Deborah Abston
Good not great.

I am rereading the Miss Zukas series and really have been enjoying it a lot. This was not my favorite, but, there were some little gems, most notably Helma's visit to the beauty salon.
Kate McCartney
I love librarian mysterious!! Miss Zukas is an old school librarian, you know the ones with silver dime voices, hair buns and a belief in the proper ways that things should work. I adore her prim and proper ways.
Mary  (Biblophile)
Another enjoyable Helma Zukas mystery. Helma is still uptight and Ruth is still getting into jams. This one features quite a bit of Ruth as the mystery surrounds the disappearance of two of her paintings.
Miki
Well written, but the heroine is unlikeable - OCD to the extreme -, the secondary plot (more interesting than the main plot-lin) goes nowhere, and the end is unsatisfying. Waste of paper.
Cindy
Again, I've jumped into the middle of a long established series of books. Had trouble getting excited about it. I may try to go back and read some of the earlier books.
Barbara
I loved the most recent Miss Zukas offering, and I hope there are more to come. It seems to me there are a few questions yet to be answered... loose ends to the longer tale.
Carol
Good, nicely developed mystery, fun sense of humor. I'm looking forward to reading the next in the series.
Glenda
I've read all her books. She's also knowledgeable about what it's like to work at the library. A fun read!
Spinster
Enjoyed this book but like all the Miss Zukas books I wish more of the action took place in the library.
Ann
Jo Dereske writes wonderful cozy mysteries that anyone who has ever worked in a library will find delightful.
Vykki
This was a great mystery I love the characters. I will be looking for other books in this series.
Linda
"A loving send up of the stereotype of the prim librarian," says the NY Times. I also say that.
Gail
Slightly better than an average cozy mystery; unfortunately I've lost my taste for those.
Dody
These Miss Zukas mysteries are just fun nobrain required books sent in the NW.
rebecca
Librarians, crazy artists, murder and mayhem. What could be better?
  • A Fit of Tempera (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #6)
  • Classified as Murder (Cat in the Stacks, #2)
  • One Book in the Grave (A Bibliophile Mystery, #5)
  • Sentenced to Death (A Booktown Mystery, #5)
  • Murder of a Stacked Librarian (A Scumble River Mystery, #16)
  • Pampered to Death (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #10)
  • The Body in the Sleigh (Faith Fairchild, #18)
  • Book, Line and Sinker (Library Lover's Mystery, #3)

I grew up in rural Michigan, greatly influenced by my Lithuanian roots. I'm one of those tedious people who wanted to write stories as soon as I learned to read, but believed I had to leave Michigan first. In fact, I couldn't wait to shake off that Michigan dust! Curiously, everything I write seems to have a connection to Michigan or my Lithuanian heritage.
I now live in the beautiful foothills of

More about Jo Dereske...
Miss Zukas and the Library Murders (Miss Zukas, #1) Miss Zukas and the Island Murders (Miss Zukas, #2) Miss Zukas and the Stroke of Death (Miss Zukas, #3) Bookmarked to Die (Miss Zukas, #9) Catalogue of Death (Miss Zukas, #10)