Start by marking “Index to Murder (Miss Zukas, #11)” as Want to Read:
Index to Murder (Miss Zukas, #11)

Index to Murder (Miss Zukas #11)

No one could be more orderly or organized than dedicated librarian Helma Zukas. No one could be more rash and raucous than avant-garde artist Ruth Winthrop. Yet the two women are best friends and a resourceful, ingenious, crime-solving team. So when two of Ruth's latest paintings—each depicting an ex-lover who met a very untimely and mysterious end—are stolen, the amazing ...more
Published April 29th 2008 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Index to Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Index to Murder

Laurann Cowan
May 11, 2017 Laurann Cowan rated it really liked it
Dereske uses Bellingham, WA for the locale. Helma Zukas is a librarian there and is the perfect personification of someone suffering from OC. Her best friend is avant-garde artist Ruth Winthrop. Two of the most unlikely friends ever. Helma's fellow librarians are also a bunch of characters and her love interest is the Police Chief (now where have I heard that combination before?). Oh, and there's a mystery involving a group of "tree huggers" and two unsolved murders seemingly unrelated. Just eno ...more
Linda
Jul 19, 2017 Linda rated it it was amazing
The most intriguing mystery I have read recently this one gets 10 stars. Now I need to look for all the other Miss Zukas mysteries.
Peggy Huey
Mar 08, 2017 Peggy Huey rated it liked it
Part of a series of books starring librarian Helma Zukas. This time, her avant-garde artist friend Ruth Winthrop has had 2 paintings stolen from an exhibit show she is planning. The friends work together to solve the mystery of who and why.
Gail
Nov 06, 2010 Gail added it
Shelves: mysteries
What can I tell you? I love Miss Zukas, that librarian's librarian with her silver dime voice that commands quiet and her expertise and dedication in providing knowledge to those seeking it at the public library. By contrast her artist friend Ruth is wild, crazy, undisciplined, sexual, and disorganized. Ruth is doing an art exhibition on scenes from her life, which means her interpretation of her multivariate love life. Then two of her paintings are stolen and her life is threatened.

Miss Zukas w
Denise
Mar 02, 2010 Denise rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who likes bibliomysteries
As always, I love Miss Zukas. I have corresponded with Jo Dereske recently because someone posted that Index to Murder was the last Miss Zukas book. Thank goodness it is not but the bad news is there will only be one more (unless everyone would write to Jo and her publisher and beg for more). Jo is currently working on the finale to the series. Index reveals a little more of Helma's human emotion. Something that is revealed at the end of the book regarding Helma (and nothing to do with the myste ...more
Rebecca
Nov 04, 2012 Rebecca rated it it was ok
Goodreads reminded me at the beginning of this month that I was still in the middle of this 259-page paperback, so today I summoned the spirit of Miss Zukas herself, the spit-polished librarian who finishes everything she starts, and got through the task. I don't know why it felt like work, but it did. A complicated plot involving two artists' studios, a chemistry lab, an environmental activism group, and some mysterious face cream, not to mention two murders and a new haircut -- I just couldn't ...more
Tracy
Jan 06, 2009 Tracy rated it it was ok
OK, this was pretty standard for a Ms. Zukas mystery. I liked that she was starting to break out of her self-imposed rigidity. It felt a little transgressional for her, and that was fun to read. For much of the book, you're not sure that there is indeed a mystery, as the plot revolves around deaths that may or may not have occured under suspicious circumstances. The bone I have to pick is with the advertising on the cover (which almost shied me away from the book). The "rampaging group of local ...more
Susan
Feb 01, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it
Helma Zukas' artist friend Ruth is heartbroken, but works her way out of her despair with a new series of paintings. But when two of them are stolen, Ruth is enraged. She's done paintings about the men in her life, and the two paintings that were stolen featured her relationship with two men who died mysteriously. The police are surprised to learn that there is a link between them--but the link is Ruth. Meanwhile, police chief Wayne Gallant seems to be trying to spend some time along with Helma ...more
Phyllis
Nov 15, 2016 Phyllis rated it really liked it
I have read almost all of the books in this series, and this one was just as enjoyable as the others. A charming protagonist (Helma Zukas, persnickety yet heartwarming librarian) solves another murder mystery done cozy-style (nothing gory or graphic). You don't have to read these in order, but be forewarned - if you start reading one, you'll want to read them all. And I highly recommend you do!
Laurie
Apr 13, 2012 Laurie rated it liked it
Helma's artist friend, Ruth, has had a home burglary. Two of her paintings ready for a one-woman retrospective, but also renditions of Ruth's relationships with two, now deceased, Bellehaven residents have been taken. What is the connection to the 2 supposed accidental deaths? Another curious case for Bellehaven's favorite librarian, Helma Zukas, and her kooky sidekick, Ruth.
Chi Dubinski
May 24, 2012 Chi Dubinski rated it really liked it
Helma Zukas, reference librarian at Bellehaven Public Library, comes to the aid of her friend Ruth Winthrop, when two of Ruth’s paintings are stolen. Is the thief one of Ruth’s former lovers depicted in the paintings? The always-organized Miss Zukas investigates. Fans of humorous mysteries, like those of Carolyn Hart and Mary Daheim, should check out this series.
Ann Costello
May 28, 2008 Ann Costello rated it it was amazing
One of a long series of librarian mysteries. Miss Zukas is a bit obsessive compulsive, but very kind. She is very particular about her job as reference librarian in a mid-size Seattle-area city. And she solves mysteries with the help of her wild friend Ruth and her other friend, Sheriff Wayne Gallant. Very gentle, funny mysteries.
Maryellen
Jul 01, 2008 Maryellen rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I get a big kick out of Helma's friend Ruth. I though the mystery wasn't all that mysterious but I know I read these more for the characters than the plot. I do wish Helma's relationship with the Chief would pick up. And I can't believe Miss Moon gets away with what she does.
Qiana
Aug 01, 2008 Qiana rated it liked it
One of these series that is like a cozy sweater on a cold day. You enjoy coming back to it again and again. I love the characters and all their litter quirks, even Ms. Moon. The lead into the murder(s) in this books seemed a bit contrived, but I didn't mind it too much.
Jan
Jan 27, 2009 Jan added it
Another librarian book. I like this series, but unfortunately she is mostly a stereotypical librarian. "My" librarian is not stereotypical at all! But it is a good read and gives an inside of library work and the NW part of the country.
Deborah Abston
Good not great.

I am rereading the Miss Zukas series and really have been enjoying it a lot. This was not my favorite, but, there were some little gems, most notably Helma's visit to the beauty salon.
Chris
Jun 27, 2009 Chris rated it liked it
I enjoy this series. Miss Zukas is a very unusual heroine. She isn't very likeable. And yet I find myself liking her. I love the character development of her coworkers at the library. The solving of the mystery is fun and well done.
Mary  (Biblophile)
Another enjoyable Helma Zukas mystery. Helma is still uptight and Ruth is still getting into jams. This one features quite a bit of Ruth as the mystery surrounds the disappearance of two of her paintings.
Kate McCartney
Feb 25, 2012 Kate McCartney rated it it was amazing
I love librarian mysterious!! Miss Zukas is an old school librarian, you know the ones with silver dime voices, hair buns and a belief in the proper ways that things should work. I adore her prim and proper ways.
Jun 01, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it
Miss Zukas actually changed her hairstyle! But she avoided having to make many other changes by buying her apartment building. What will she do when her car finally gives out? Things are so crazy and unstable!

Miss Zukas, just give in and make that nice policeman happy already. Sigh.
Mary Newcomb
Two of Ruth's lovers are dead, two of Ruth's paintings about her life are stolen and Ms May Apple Moon is acting more oddly than usual. Helma Zukas has much to sort out. With her usual common sense and research skill, she manages to do so in fine fashion.
Ann
Dec 02, 2010 Ann rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Jo Dereske writes wonderful cozy mysteries that anyone who has ever worked in a library will find delightful.
Edna Little Fish In Running Waters Spring
solid story in series
Vykki
Aug 28, 2013 Vykki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: excellent
This was a great mystery I love the characters. I will be looking for other books in this series.
Carol
Dec 23, 2010 Carol rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozies
Good, nicely developed mystery, fun sense of humor. I'm looking forward to reading the next in the series.
Susan
Rounding up from 2.5 stars. There's not much of a mystery and the ending was rushed, but I enjoy Miss Zukas and the town of Bellhaven.
rebecca
Feb 09, 2009 rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, mystery, humor
Librarians, crazy artists, murder and mayhem. What could be better?
Laurie
May 07, 2008 Laurie rated it really liked it
Jo Dereske has another good one!!
Gail
Dec 18, 2010 Gail rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, 2010
Slightly better than an average cozy mystery; unfortunately I've lost my taste for those.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Murder By the Book (Megan Clark, #5)
  • Toast Mortem (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #16)
  • Mumbo Gumbo (Madeline Bean, #5)
  • Perfect Poison (Peggy Lee Garden Mystery, #4)
  • Hocus Croakus (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #19)
  • Murder Can Upset Your Mother (Desiree Shapiro Mystery, #8)
  • The Stalking-Horse (Glynis Tryon, #5)
  • Secrets on Saturday
  • Bell, Book, and Scandal (Jane Jeffry, #14)
  • Swan for the Money (Meg Langslow, #11)
  • Dewey's Christmas at the Library
  • Death's Autograph (Dido Hoare, #1)

I grew up in rural Michigan, greatly influenced by my Lithuanian roots. I'm one of those tedious people who wanted to write stories as soon as I learned to read, but believed I had to leave Michigan first. In fact, I couldn't wait to shake off that Michigan dust! Curiously, everything I write seems to have a connection to Michigan or my Lithuanian heritage.
I now live in the beautiful foothills of

More about Jo Dereske...

Miss Zukas (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Miss Zukas and the Library Murders (Miss Zukas, #1)
  • Miss Zukas and the Island Murders (Miss Zukas, #2)
  • Miss Zukas and the Stroke of Death (Miss Zukas, #3)
  • Miss Zukas and the Raven's Dance (Miss Zukas, #4)
  • Out of Circulation (Miss Zukas, #5)
  • Final Notice (Miss Zukas, #6)
  • Miss Zukas in Death's Shadow (Miss Zukas, #7)
  • Miss Zukas Shelves the Evidence (Miss Zukas, #8)
  • Bookmarked to Die (Miss Zukas, #9)
  • Catalogue of Death (Miss Zukas, #10)