Start by marking “Lover's Knot” as Want to Read:
Lover's Knot

Lover's Knot (Shenandoah Album #3)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  954 ratings  ·  84 reviews
After narrowly escaping death, newspaper journalist Kendra Taylor retreats to a cabin nestled in Virginia's Shenandoah Valley to heal and sort out her feelings about her troubled marriage. The land was bequeathed to her husband by a maternal grandmother he never knew, and the cabin has been abandoned for years. As she is welcomed into the rural community of Toms Brook, Ken...more
Published July 1st 2006 by Mira Books

To ask other readers questions about Lover's Knot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lover's Knot

Kathryn
Loved this book, as good as the previous two in the series. Some of previous well loved characters. However the story of Kendra and Isaac was so engrossing that I wasn't pining for past characters. Loved the cat and dog! Ten and Rug! Liked the parallel of Isaac and Caleb and how Isaac was able to reach out to Caleb. One aspect I like about these books are that Emilie Richards includes flashbacks that do not seem intrusive, they are well placed and used. Thoroughly good read.
Janice
Dec 03, 2008 Janice rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
This is a wonderful story of the mystery of a Lovers Knot Quilt. Very well written and very interresting. I want to read more of her books.

The background story is about the Applachians and how they were forced to give up their land in the 1930's for Shenandoah national park. I believe it's the first "eminent domain" case in the U.S. The title is misleading, it's not a romance novel, it's in reference to quilting, in which Kendra, the main character, is trying to find the origin of a quilt that w...more
Cindy
I was interested in the development of the Shenandoah Park, and the 'mystery' of the Lover's Knot quilt...quilting/handwork and nature are two of my favorite things, so this was a fun read for me....I really expected the 'bodies in the cave' to be more of a 'The English Patient" issue and less of what it was....matter of fact I was disappointed in the reveal of history. I liked my ideas better...

L
I really enjoyed this book, as much as the previous two in the Shenandoah Album Series, Sister's Choice and Touching Stars. Lover's Knot has some of the previous characters. However Issac and Kendra's story was so interesting that I did not miss former characters that did not make it into this book. Thought the similar lives of Issac and Caleb made for a good healing technique for both of them. Emilie Richards includes flashbacks that help readers who did not read the first two get caught up., I...more
Michelle
This continues the author's Shennadoah Valley series. While it has some overlap in characters from the previous books, it focuses on Kendra, the reporter from DC and her husband. As Kendra recuperates in the home willed to her husband by his grandmother that he never knew. She re-evaluates her life and she researches her husband's family history and discovers some mysterious clues in a heirloom quilt from his grandmother. Her husband was adopted and knows little about his family. This was a wond...more
Nancy
My first book by Emilie Richards. The story is a bit slow for the first half but was a lot better in the second half. This book is part of a series so there were many characters sprinkled over the course of the book. It can get a bit confusing trying to keep track of who is who. Feel so sorry for Leah, Isaac's grandma, love the kids in the book, and enjoy the resolution of Isaac and Kendra's relationship. Hope ER will write a book on Caleb in future.
Ruth
The third book in Emile Richards' Shenandoah Album series is called Lover's Knot. It is set in the same town as the others and Helen, Sam and Elisa make appearances. A quilt is at the center of the plot. This story is about Kendra an invstigative reporter for the Washington Post who is shot one night in the city and comes out to a home her husband inherited to recover. Her body needs healing and so does her marriage. A quilt her husband inherited leads her on a search for his roots. She learns t...more
Janice
I was not prepared to like this book. It was a gift to me and I started reading it without realizing it was more of a romance type book than I like to read.
I enjoyed how she wove the history of the area in with the story and at the end I liked the book.
Suzie Quint
The troubles in Kendra and Tom's marriage percolate to the surface after Kendra is shot by a carjacker and she retreats to the mountain cabin Tom's grandmother left him. Though most of the story focuses on the modern day story, there are significant (but engrossing) flashbacks to the 1930's that tell his grandmother's story. That's where the mystery in the book resides, and as Kendra's research begins to piece together the puzzle, she and her husband begin to find themselves solving their own pr...more
Scilla
Lover's Knot refers to a quilt left to Isaac by his unknown grandmother along with a country home in Toms Brook in the Shenendoah Valley (he was adopted by a cruel man as a young child). Isaac works for a nonprofit and is married to journalist Kendra. They both work too hard and their relationship is failing when Kendra is shot by a carjacker. She moves out to the cabin to restore herself and think about her marriage. While there, she begins to research the life of Isaac's grandmother, and finds...more
Caron
Oct 24, 2008 Caron rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: women, some men.
Recommended to Caron by: Kim Bunn
This book is the third book in a series, but it does stand alone. I really liked the story and loved the background story about the Applachians and how they were forced to give up their land in the 1930's for Shenandoah national park. I believe it's the first "eminent domain" case in the U.S. The title is misleading, it's not a romance novel, it's in reference to quilting, in which Kendra, the main character, is trying to find the origin of a quilt that was inherited by her husband's grandmothe...more
Kelly Logan
I really really enjoyed this book! I didn't want to walk away from K.C and Isaac at the end. I wanted to step through the pages and sit on the little log cabin porch and watch Black Beauty slither from under the porch. It makes me want to drive the hour to the Blue Ridge Parkway and look at the area in a new light.

What I love best about these characters is how they are all flawed...even the animals have issues. None of the characters are over done, but instead are completely realistic. I've alr...more
Toni
Apr 13, 2008 Toni rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: quilters
Another quilting book story line. I love it! This book is a third in the series, but you can not tell that as you read this book. It does stand alone.

Again the history in this book is compelling. I do love reading because I love the fantasy of a story line and like happy endings, this one was no exception. It dealt with a lot of psychological issues, which I don't think were fully address and the longing for a child from the couple was ended abruptly.

But the warmth of making long term friends an...more
Sally Gibson
I loved the 3 women in this book, they had me laughing.
Judy Iliff
Enjoyable story, but again we have the protagonist who refused to listen to "the man/police officer" because no one is going to tell her what to do. Drives me nuts! But the story centers around a quilt shop, and, I will read the next in the series.

Again way too many mechanical errors in the book for my taste. This them there were partial sentences inserted into the middle of a word, sentences interrupted in the middle to be continued later on, repetition of sentences. Is there no such thing as a...more
Darcy
I didn't like Issac at the start of this one. In fact I hoped that he and Kendra would split up and hoped that in this book Kendra would find someone in the Shenandoah Valley, not something that usually happens in a romance book. It was only as the past story was revealed that I started liking Issac and felt sorry for him and wanted him to work things out with Kendra.

A new character, Caleb, intrigued me. I loved how he fit in with both Kendra and Issac. I hope that we get to know more about him...more
Emily Higgins
Kendra Taylor was shot by a man who wanted to steal her car. Recovering slowly from her injuries, she decides to spend the time it would take to recuperate in a cabin her husband, Isaac, had inherited from his grandmother. While soaking up the peace of her surroundings, Kendra delves into the mystery of her husband's family. She also finds that she has the time to contemplate her marriage and what she really wanted from her marriage and her life. A deeply moving, well-written story.
Patty
This is the 4th in the series that I've read. Unfortunately, I read the last one first, and it really was something of a spoiler alert. Still, since all of the books have similar elements, of course I knew that the couple would work stuff out.

I do like how she addresses some issues in a reasonably fair way. This time it was the issue of eminent domain, considering the rights of the landowners vs. the rights of the nation to protect wilderness.
Virginia Markhart
Way better that just good. GREAT!! This book had it all. I little mystery, a little violence, little love, lots of misunderstanding. Sigh. So glad I read it.
This is the tale of a married couple who are having problems. The wife turns to a cabin on land that her husband inherited. Much of the book is about the grandmother who left her grandson a quilt and a cabin.

Gave me something to thing about. Imminent domain.
Nancy Black
Delightful novel which tugs at the heart. Set in modern time this story spans over 70 years drawing the reader back to simpler times, but the hard Appalachian era.

In the center of this story Leah is the one who leaves her grandson a cabin and a quilt.

I guarantee you will be caught up in the spider web of heartbreak, murder, insanity and a terrific ending.

If you care about our precious land read this one.
Susan
Tiona
I found Emilie Richards when she started writing mysteries (see some of my previous reviews) I enjoyed this book. It is well written, interesting. I like that there is not a lot of vulgar language. It is a long book, so don't plan to finish in a few hours. I am reading the next book about the same characters. I know there is one before this one, so I need to find that as well.
Nikki
I did find myself drawn into the story line of this book. I was put off though that the book jacket introduced the story with a Depression Era murder that connected to present time. However, the book was just over half way through before that event came into play. I almost gave up on reading it before I made it that far. I am glad that I continued to the end, though.
Cheryl
I really enjoyed Kendra Taylor and all the changes she went through in this book. Then the secrets that were uncovered as she searched her husband Isaac's familie history showed why I am trying to trace my ancestors even though my lineage won't be as exciting as his was.
Wonderful read in this Shenandoah Album series,so glad I took this series from my TBR mountain!!
Barb
This is a book in the Shanandoah series by Emilie Richards. The books are not earth-shaking or life changing, but I enjoy them. They all share the same characters, but each book focuses on a different family in the Tomsbrook area. Each of the books reads like a Hallmark movie, but then again, I like Hallmark movies. This one had a mystery involved, which was a nice twist.
Mariah
This Book is an amazing book, Filled with rich characters wonderful stories and true love that connects onces again.. Gotta Love the happy endings. The plot thickens with every peek into a dark past and helps with a optomistic future. Superb read... this book makes quilting seem alot more interesting.
Leslie
I am enjoying Emilie Richards' books. I really like the flashbacks to an earlier time.
Carrie
Kept me guessing (I was mostly wrong), geuinely likeable characters, wonderful history, and hilarious animals (Dusty the Rug and Ten the Psychopath)...can't wait to read the rest of the series. Thanks to my Mom for recommending this book and not telling me what it was about!
Katherine
A very enjoyable book. Easy to read with just the right mix of history and present. I did find the historical aspects of the Shenandoah National park fascinating and plan to investigate. She did an excellent job of weaving the two story lines together.
Suzanne
I happened across this book title as the name of a quilt block. The characters drew me in right away and I was invested in their lives. I liked how Emilie Richards goes back in time to enhance the story and include more history. This was a delightful read.
  • The Quilter's Legacy (Elm Creek Quilts, #5)
  • A Thread of Truth (Cobbled Quilt #2)
  • The Healing Quilt
  • Kansas Troubles (Benni Harper, #3)
I'm the author of seventy-something novels, both women's fiction and mystery. I'm excited about my newest series, Goddesses Anonymous, which started with One Mountain Away and was followed last year by Somewhere Between Luck and Trust. The third book in the series, A River Too Wide, came out in July. The Color of Light debuts in August 2015.

Last year my husband and I moved from Arlington, Virginia...more
More about Emilie Richards...
Wedding Ring (Shenandoah Album) Happiness Key (Happiness Key Series, #1) Sister's Choice Iron Lace Endless Chain (Shenandoah Album)