Start by marking “Bougainvillea (The Forest of Hands and Teeth #0.4)” as Want to Read:
Bougainvillea (The Forest of Hands and Teeth #0.4)

Bougainvillea (The Forest of Hands and Teeth 0.4)

From the Anthology Zombies vs. Unicorns Edited by Holly Black and Justine Larbalestier
Published September 21st 2010 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published September 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Bougainvillea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bougainvillea

Rebecca
Feb 29, 2016 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
"You have to be ruthless to survive".

I think this is one of those short stories that really deserves to be embellished upon and released as a larger story. The is ostensibly a pirates tale, rather than the zombie tale it's intended to be as part of The Forest of Hands and Teeth series. By the way, you absolutely don't need to have read Carrie Ryan's series to enjoy this book; the characters are entirely new and the world mostly separate with no ties to anything you need to know for a backstory.
Lexie
Jun 02, 2016 Lexie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its set only a few (maybe a decade?) years after the Return (aka: when the mudo began manifesting) and it gives us a different perspective on things. Iza remembers life before the Return, though really only vaguely. The story is told in both the 'Before' and the 'Now', going back and forth between her memories of growing up on Curacao and the events leading up to an epiphany about not only her father, but herself as well. The ending is...bittersweet. She found her strength, but by doing so she ...more
Morgan
Apr 26, 2014 Morgan rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite of her short stories in the world of TFoH&T.

I've read it in a couple different collections that it was featured in, but it's the only one that I really wish there was some expansion on.

Coming back to see what happens to Iza at the end. What happens after. What sort of woman she grows into.

I put it more on the same level as I do the actual books in my head which is saying a lot about a short story and my opinion of it.

*noticed there was an actual entry for it as a solo,
Becky Ippolito
Jun 04, 2016 Becky Ippolito rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombie
This short story is both sweet and shocking. There is a powerful daughter on a much-wanted island. Can her father protect her from the hoards and the pirates that want to invade? Or can she do something to save herself?
Slim
Sep 17, 2015 Slim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmm

I don't really like this book. Can't say I enjoyed it at all. It was kind of boring to me. Totally different from the other short stories to forest of hands and teeth.
Jessica
Feb 09, 2016 Jessica rated it really liked it
This is one of the short stories that I would really like to see expanded into a full novel. I would love to know more about Iza and what happens after this story ends.
Laura Moss
Jan 12, 2015 Laura Moss rated it it was ok
Shelves: carrie-ryan
FH&T short story. Not my favorite of her stories. Not enough zombies. Not the edge of your seat thriller that I'm used to from her.
Danielle L
Mar 10, 2015 Danielle L rated it really liked it
Dami
Dami rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Tracy
Tracy rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2014
Raidare
Raidare rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2016
v.v
v.v rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2015
Sheena Westerman
Sheena Westerman rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2016
Kirra
Kirra rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2016
Fernanda
Fernanda rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2016
Reatta
Reatta rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2016
Hapsari Darmastuti
Hapsari Darmastuti rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2016
April Begordis
April Begordis rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2015
Magdalena Wilson
Magdalena Wilson rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2016
Elena
Elena rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2016
Tommie
Tommie rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2015
Brandee Terry
Nov 11, 2014 Brandee Terry rated it liked it
Read as part of anthology
Aimi
Aimi rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Soph
Soph rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2015
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Tasia
Tasia rated it it was ok
Nov 04, 2016
Howard
Howard rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Defy the Dark
  • Just Another Day at the Office (The Walking Dead #1.5)
  • Artichoke Tales
  • Revival Deluxe Collection Volume 1
  • Air, Volume 3: Pureland
  • Ressources Humaines (Zombillenium #2)
  • The Best of Ray Bradbury
  • The Dragon in the Library (Dragon Keepers, #3)
  • RASL, Vol. 2: The Fire of St. George (RASL, #2)
  • The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec 1: Pterror Over Paris/The Eiffel Tower Demon
  • Snowpiercer, Vol. 2: The Explorers
  • Happy Valentine's Slay (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #10.5)
  • Zom-B Goddess (Zom-B, #12)
  • Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard, Vol. 1 (Mouse Guard)
  • Revolver
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 22: A New Beginning
  • Tales from the Fire Zone
  • Dead Reckoning
Carrie Ryan is the New York Times bestselling author of the critically acclaimed Forest of Hands and Teeth series and Infinity Ring: Divide and Conquer. Currently she’s working on a four book middle grade fantasy adventure series co-written with her husband, John Parke Davis, the first book of which, The Map to Everywhere, will be out November 4, 2014. Her next YA is a romantic thriller titled ...more
More about Carrie Ryan...

The Forest of Hands and Teeth (3 books)
  • The Forest of Hands and Teeth (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #1)
  • The Dead-Tossed Waves (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #2)
  • The Dark and Hollow Places (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #3)