Start by marking “Minno” as Want to Read:
Minno

Minno

It isn't easy being thirteen ... and being raised by your grandfather ... and having a name like Minno ... and then having to journey through a strange land. But Minno is doing the best she can.

For all her young life Minno believed her parents were dead. Then she learns they're alive, but they're in grave danger.

Her friend Hailey thought she was having a sleepover at her
Published September 21st 2012 by BAK Books (first published November 2nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Minno, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Minno

Richard
In full disclosure I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway.

Whenever I enter a giveaway it normally falls into one of three categories, a giveaway that I REALLY want to win, and in the morning of when the giveaway ends, I rush on to Goodreads to see if I won it. Or it might be a giveaway that I would quite like to win, but I don’t go crazy trying to find out if I won. Or a giveaway I am not sure about but enter anyway. This book was in the third category, as it turned out I am glad I won this boo
Amie Gaudet
MINNO by James Barlog.

I won an advance paperback copy of "Minno" from the Goodreads giveaway program.

Minno is a thirteen year old girl. Being thirteen and the new kid at school isn't fun, but Minno knows she has no choice but to try to blend in. She meets a mute girl the same age as herself on her first day of school and they quickly become friends.

Minno and Hailey are whisked into a magical world they know very little about. However, Minno had always been told her parents were dead, now she kno
Jaime
I won this in a goodreads giveaway mainly because it said it was like Indiana Jones for children. Boy, was that review wrong.

Minno is a young teen who believes her parents are dead. She lives with her grandfather who tells magic stories. They move often and she's made fun of for her name and eyes.

So she turns into a complete hypocrite and shuns geeks and calls bullies fat. Yeah that's how people end friendless. I actually don't like her.

She meets Hailey who is mute. She becomes annoying but unde
Christine Gaskins
I received this book for free through the Goodreads First reads giveaway. That in no way affects the honesty of my review.

This story, though not to my liking, may be favored by girls of the age 10-15, if they are the sort that like "girl" adventures. It is not similar to Indiana Jones. Adventure, magical creatures, and a new land accessible by a portal.

Minno, short for Minnovera, is living with her grandfather. Minno is thirteen. She goes to a new school and is instantly viewed as an outcast. Sh
April
"Interesting Middle Grade read"
What did you like best about Minno? What did you like least?
It is a really creative tale with plenty of intriguing turns. There are issues with the way Minno acts at times. But it is very true to a child her age in her situation. In the end she learns her lessons.

Would you recommend Minno to your friends? Why or why not?
I would definitely recommend this book to middle grade readers. It was great for kids in a tough place and helping them deal with all those feeling
Fizzgig
Jul 29, 2016 Fizzgig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I got this book on a Giveaway. I handed it to my daughter. She liked the book a lot and ended up using the book for a school project. She created a board game from the book for her English class and the class is playing it today.

The book is very imaginative. Sometimes it is hard to find books for a young person with advanced reading skills. She likes thicker books and series because she likes twists and complicated multi-threaded plots. In her world, lots of excitement, complicated characters, a
Virginia
Jul 17, 2013 Virginia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Through two 13 year-olds eyes the author takes you on a journey into a fantasy world with vivid, entertaining characters. The story is nicely organized to keep you interested and wanting to follow along. Even the evil Craveaux has a way of endearing himself to you. My daughters (one's 10 and the other's 13) giggled at times. Minno has fun characters and enough action to keep you entertained. I'm always looking for books my daughters can read without inappropriate subject matter. I was very ...more
Barb Wentworth
Aug 22, 2013 Barb Wentworth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Minno is an adventurous, compelling story of friendship between two girls who just don't fit in. Their wild journey takes them into a marvelous fantasy world that is dangerous, funny and most of all refreshingly entertaining. At every turn you meet new characters and new situations. While the story was light on deep emotional attachments, it always kept you wanting more. My eleven-year-old daughter laughed out loud at some of the characters' comedic antics. She said she can't wait for the ...more
Emilia
Jun 13, 2014 Emilia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book through the First Reads giveaway.
Aimed at the preteen/early teen, I think it is a worthy read. Of course you have to like the fantasy world a bit :) The book is one of those teaching the meaning of true friendship, the fact that the stereotypes are to be broken and that to succeed in life you have to trust people... or some more or less strange creatures :)
Fun read, fast paced, I'll now let a younger generation try it ;)
Tianna Green
For full disclosure I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

Minno is an absolute thriller from beginning to end. I loved the two characters, Minno and Hailey. I can imagine all the characters and their reactions. Its absolutely fantastic and a must read for a teen. I loved the ending and I hope there is a second book coming out. This book should be made into a movie! Great plot.
Amanda
Jun 06, 2013 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was just the right book for my preteens. There's quirky creatures and humorous situations to hold a child's interest. At each turn there is more to discover in this adventure. My son read it over a weekend. He said he liked the Forbits the best, though I think the Ooogly brothers make the story. This one reads like Indiana Jones for children.
Marla
Sep 19, 2013 Marla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Great fun read. Both my daughters (9 and 12) loved the book. There were plenty of interesting characters to keep them entertained. They both said they want to read the next book when it comes out.
Ronnie
Jul 03, 2014 Ronnie rated it really liked it
My daughter read it and really enjoyed it. We heard her laughing out loud a number of times. She read it cover to cover over a weekend and we had to force her to stop to eat and sleep.
Mikelle
Mikelle rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2014
Erica Antonia
Erica Antonia rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2013
Kerry
Kerry rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2014
Lynn Eso
Lynn Eso rated it it was ok
Dec 08, 2013
Tammy Meacham
Tammy Meacham rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2013
Megan Lawery
Megan Lawery rated it really liked it
May 19, 2015
Lynda Palmer
Lynda Palmer rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2014
Erik
Erik rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2013
Heather Miller
Heather Miller rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2013
Ashley Carr
Ashley Carr rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2014
Roy Huff
Roy Huff rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2015
Bhargav Prajapati
Bhargav Prajapati rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2013
Terry
Terry rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2013
Sue
Sue rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2015
Sheri
Sheri rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2014
Shelley
Shelley rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2013
Cathy Grulik
Cathy Grulik rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2013
Book Giveaways: Preteen summer reading adventure 1 8 Jun 14, 2013 12:01PM
  • The Other Side of Gold
  • Sex Bucket List
  • Legacy of Krazatan: Book I: A Hero's Birth
  • In Broken Places
  • Shaken: A Story of Emotional Abuse and Depression
  • Little Stinker
  • Bot Wars (Bot Wars, #1)
  • That Was the Best Christmas!: 25 Short Stories from the Generations
  • Little Things That Make a Big Difference
  • The Sword of Senack
  • Social Elephant: New Rules for Making Friends in Our Changing Social Economy
  • Wacky Waddles
  • All of Me That You Can't See
  • Catholic Christmas Prayers
  • The 1990s Coloring Book: All That and a Box of Crayons (Psych! Crayons Not Included.)
  • Catholic Prayers of Thanks
  • 1,001 People That Suck
  • Seven in a Jeep
Barlog grew up in Chicago before serving in Vietnam with the U.S. Air Force.

He has authored numerous novels across many genres. Windows to the Soul, his debut novel, won the Readers' Choice award for suspense at an Illinois 'Love Is Murder' Mystery Conference.

But his greatest accomplishments are his three children and his grandchildren.

Barlog currently lives with his wife in San Diego, CA, wher
More about James Barlog...