The Other Eminent Men of Wilford Woodruff

The other eminent men of Wilford Woodruff Paperback
Unknown Binding, 413 pages
Published October 28th 1994 by Zichron Historical Research Institute

Nat
A great, meaty, history-filled book. Vicky Anderson changed my opinion about many of these historical figures, and introduced me to others I had never heard of. The story of these men and women appearing to Wilford Woodruff in the temple, tied together everything I'd learned in history classes at school and gospel principles at church, and gave me a broader perspective on all of Heavenly Father's children. Definitely not a light read but totally worth the time and effort.
Angelyn
Very interesting short biographies of the "other men" in Wilford Woodruffs vision of the men who came to him with the founding fathers that wanted to be baptized. Men like Edmund Burke, Samuel Johnson and many others. The writing is not superb but nevertheless very interesting.
Michelle
So many men and women throughout history have been crucial to the Lord's work and His plan. It was enlightening to read about some of them and about their contributions.
Sean Grant
A Wikipedia search on each of these people would have been more interesting.
G
I've started my mom's copy and will have to finish it someday.. It is a light read, just an outline and description in a short chapter for each of the ~50 men. The author has planned to research for a sequel to include the over 75 eminent women that came and whos work was done.
From the Introduction: "We discovered in our years of historical research, that history written prior to 1920 was often written of great men and women who performed great deeds. After 1920, history has highlighted the mis...more
Rick
Vicko Jo Anderson is another one of those non academic historians, which I feel are often the best historians. The approach she took to this book was very interesting. She goes through the less known eminent men that were baptized by proxy by Wilford Woodruff in the St. George temple. Anderson focused on developing concise 4 - 6 page biography of each man that descried their upbringing, their family life, achievements, and relationship with God. I was suprised at how many of the men were artists...more
Monique
Feb 29, 2008 Monique rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: LDS readers, history enthusiasts
Recommended to Monique by: Lori Merritt
This book lets you dig in and feel a little bit like you can understand these men of the past and why they were eventually converted and requested their work done here on earth. It's interesting, thought-provoking, and even sparks a bit more interest in history for those who may not like history, although this work doesn't have the space to delve into much detail of history or more than a basic biography of the lives of the men in it. She was planning on writing a sister book, on the eminent wom...more
Andres
Recommended by my Sunday School Teacher.

It contains the good things of the lives of the other eminent men that presented themselves to Wilford Woodruff that requested the temple work done.

Even if you are inclined to read biographies, I recommend reading at least the introduction.

-----------

Excellent book. Each biography propels me to ponder my heritage and divine appointment from our Lord. We have a wonderful life and what better cause thant dedicate ourselves to the cause of our mission in thi...more
Rebecca
A friend recommended this book and I loved it! It is an LDS related church book; so it may not appeal to all audiences. This book gives the autobiographies of the men who appeared in a dream to Wilford Woodruff and requested that he be responsible to see that their saving ordinances were completed. Each chapter is a "stand alone" chapter, so it's easy to pick up and read a chapter and then put it down.

I am so appreciative for all of the fine people who helped shape the history of our nation and...more
Amy
I was touched to read the short biographies of the 100 eminent men of Wilford Woodruff. These men were they whose names were recorded in Woodruff's journal, whose temple work was done after receiving a visitation from several founding fathers in the St. George temple.

After reading the short biographies here, I went on to read several autobiographies, first hand accounts and life sketches of many of the men listed as my curiousity was definitely piqued by the short descriptions given.
Amber G.
This book is amazing. I loved reading the accounts of these famous men through history and the impact they have made on the world. Each one of them was truly dedicated to truth and following God's plan, even though their life circumstances often made it difficult. I also loved that my favorite author Jane Austen was among the ones who came to Wilford Woodruff in the temple. Charlotte Bronte and Elizabeth Barrett Browning also came, and also authors I enjoy.
Cutiebear
Jul 31, 2011 Cutiebear rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Who would have thought that reading 50 biographies would be so enjoyable? It was so neat to read that these men were men of God. While there is probably more to their life's stories than the 3 or 4 page biography in this book the author focused on the positive (which on some of those guys I didn't think there was anything positive to be said). I was also surprised at how many of these men knew each other personally or knew of each other. I enjoyed reading this.
Shauntell
I loved this book. I felt it an honor to get to know the men who were detailed in the book. I truly feel we do not learn enough positive things about those who have given their lives for our freedoms and education. I think this is a wonderful book to teach our children beacuse the biographies are easy to read and understand and they touch on the important things of the lives of these men.
Courtney
Very interesting. Of course, anything that reads like a textbook can get boring, but I especially loved reading about Christopher Columbus and Amerigo Vespucci. I think I would enjoy even more W. Woodruff's journal entries about his experience with these 100 eminent men who appeared to him in the St. George temple, rather than these short biographies of so many men I've never heard of before.
Grant
This is a collection of short biographies, sketches if you will, portraying outstanding men. I have found reading the stories, the triumphs and defeats, the accomplishments and foibles, of great men to be one of the most effective ways of firing my own desire to improve myself. Perhaps because of that I would label this book as inspiring above almost any other I have read.
Wachlin007 Hotmail
Wilford Woodruff, the fourth president of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, had a vision in which many important historical figures told him they believed in the church and wished to be a part of it. This book gives small biographical accounts of many of them. Some of them include William Gladstone, Edward Gibbon, and Horatio Nelson.
Heidi J
This is a fascinating look at the men and women who appeared to Wilford Woodruff in the St George Temple and requested to have their temple work done. I'm very interested to see what kind of lives they lived on earth, so that they were ready to accept the gospel after they passed on. This is an on-going read as it is composed of small biographies.
Tad
An interesting read. This contains short histories (usually 6-8 pages) of the 50 "other" men that appeared to Wilford Woodruff in the St. George Temple. It is an easy pick up and put down book. It is amazing to see the hand of the Lord in the lives of individuals who have changed history.
Julie Matern
History can be so subjective. Can historians really leave out their own bias as the review the facts and then recount them? This author focuses on the admirable traits and events of these men's lives giving the reader a new perspective on some great men from history.
Bookwyrmgyrl
May 19, 2012 Bookwyrmgyrl added it
Shelves: religious
I was so excited when I heard about this book, and it lived up to my expectations. This is one I wish I owned because I know I would read it again and again. There is also a companion volume about women, but I do not have the title of that one.
Peggy
This is the greatest book. A friend gave it to me after my father in law passed away and it was such a sweet gesture to think about where he was and why it was so much cooler than hanging out with us! I loved it.
Cheryl Hall
Great book about many of the men that appeared to Wilford Woodruff. I feel that I know these people much better now and have a new respect for many that I didn't know of.
Jeremy
Short biographies of the other men baptized by proxy in the St. George Temple. The book has spelling and grammatical errors, but the biographies were fascinating.
Shauna
This is one of my favorite books because it includes short biographies of important men (and the women in their lives) of our country and world.
Angela
Oct 30, 2009 Angela rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Angela by: A clerk at the bookstore
It's taking me some time to read this book, but it's a perfect book to set down and then pick back up since each chapter is a different biography.
Audrey
I am reading this with some friends from church. It is an awesome read, and a great resource for some more excellent reading material.
Chad
Sep 08, 2009 Chad marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lds
Recommended by Paul Bartholomew. Contains information on several of the individuals who appeared to Wilford Woodruff.
Marianne
Apr 07, 2011 Marianne marked it as to-read
Shelves: own, recommend
My cousin wrote this book. The stories behind the publication are amazing. I still need to read it.
Heather Greenwood
Topic is interesting, but the writing was difficult to follow and there were numerous editing deficiencies.
Jeniann
Gives brief biographies of the men that came to Wilford Woodruff and requested that their temple work be done
[Hardbound] The Other Eminent Men of Wilford Woodruff History Reborn Volume I History reborn