Dungeon Master's Guide: A 4th Edition Core Rulebook

Dungeon Master's Guide: A 4th Edition Core Rulebook

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  536 ratings  ·  23 reviews
The third of three core rulebooks for the 4th Edition Dungeons & Dragons ® Roleplaying Game.

The Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game has defined the medieval fantasy genre and the tabletop RPG industry for more than 30 years. In the D&D game, players create characters that band together to explore dungeons, slay monsters, and find treasure. The 4th Edition D&D...more
Published June 6th 2008 by Wizards of the Coast

To ask other readers questions about Dungeon Master's Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dungeon Master's Guide

John
Odd as it may seem, I often read game books for pleasure, even if I may never get to play the game. My wife reads cookbooks the same way. She can taste the food through the text. I can feel the adventure (or not) while reading.
I am playing in a 4E campaign, but not Dungeon Mastering. So I figured I could save the money and just buy the Player's Handbook(s). I have to say the 4E Player's Handbooks are mind numbing to read. They work great as a reference book, but they are all numbers and powers,...more
Randy Lander
I'm a huge fan of the D&D 4th Edition, but the Dungeon Master's Guide is definitely the weak link in the core rulebook set. In fact, it's mostly an argument for eliminating the DMG in the inevitable 5th edition. There's a lot of good material for the first GM, but as someone who has run tons of games before, seeing "types of players" yet again, or being told to wing it when the rules don't cover something, is not useful information.

The rules section is light as well, with skill challenges in...more
Eleanor Paul
I am relatively new to D&D, but I done a bit if GMing before. I liked how the book gave templates did creating your own versions of things as well as some if their own. I wish that it had given a more detailed description of how to start a campaign or adventure, and how to get to a certain point in it, however, and that it told you what D&D combat was.
I did enjoy how it left so many details and so much lore open ended. I have had fun, as I think my players will, developing artifacts to...more
Daniel
Oct 27, 2008 Daniel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: rpg
The 4e DMG is quite a good book, offering solid advice to the novice DM. The section on player types and social dynamics is probably the best one for DMs who feel they need the book's permission to do their job, enabling DMs to be a lot more flexible at the table and even allow their players an amount of authorship that I don't recall being explicitly advised in previous editions. It is rounded with the usual sections on monster creation and adaptation, as well as NPC and dungeon creation (inclu...more
Jacek
Drugi wydany w Polsce podręcznik z linii wydawniczej czwartej edycji D&D różni się nieco od swojego odpowiednika z edycji poprzecznej. Książka jest cieńsza, ale treściwsza w opisy. Foliał ten miał za zadanie zapoznać Mistrza Podziemi z zasadami obowiązującymi w trakcie sesji tego systemu. Rozwiązań mechanicznych jest tutaj mniej, co nie znaczy, że nie znajdą się tutaj pewne narzędzia dla prowadzących grę.

Wydanie to wypełnione jest po brzegi radami i świetnie nadaje się dla każdego mistrza gr...more
Simone
The Good:

Excellent for beginners, very clear and precise articulation of the core rules, and helpful tips and tricks are plentiful. Makes DMing very accessible for the uninitiated.

The Bad:

Simplistic, although that is more of a criticism of fourth edition itself rather than this particular manual. Some of the finesse is cut in favor of a streamlined approach.

Overall:

Recommended for DMs looking to expand into fourth edition campaigns; house rules will likely have to be instated for the finicky, b...more
Steve
The DMG has always been the least useful of the core rule books. Even as the main DM, it got a lot less use than the other two, especially for veteran players that don't need the massive amounts of space explaining the function of the DM, and general imagination advice.

This edition though, the DMG actually has a lot of relatively pertinent information. Explanations of ways to use the new combat rules, and so forth. So It seems much more worthwhile, at least, after a quick read through.
Robert
The new DMG lets a DM just be a DM. With all of the core rules held in the Players Handbook, this freed up a lot of space in the DMG, which I think they put to good use. Full of advice for how to run , plan, and build a campaign, it also advises DM's on how to keep the different player types all interested in the game. Add in the advice from the pros, and this book really helps a DM in running and managing a game.
Punning
There really is a lot of good information in this book, and I feel a lot more confident about running a game now that I've read it. Nevertheless, I feel like there should have been a bit... more to it. A whole lot of basic information, but not much actual content. How about a section on traps? Or even a few basic pre-rolled monsters?

This is a recommend for any aspiring DMs...
Clackamas
I'll stick with 3.5 for now. The advancement in 4.0 is ridiculous. the way my group games, we'd be leveling up twice a session if we tried to go with this. I do think that the younger generation will like this one though. It'll appeal to their shorter attention spans.
Greg
I really like the new DM Guide for 4th edition. It spends more time on crafting the story and less time on complicated game mechanics and tables of exceptions. It is a much more streamlined game and plays faster like the original Dungeons and Dragons basic game.
Stephen
Jan 13, 2014 Stephen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: DMs
Good reference book for DMs. While not necessarily essential, it does provide enough input from enough people to help a fledgling DM quickly make the leap to pretty-good DM. Plenty of rich, story-telling fodder.
Matt Skeels
The information to run a game is scattered and piecemeal throughout the whole book. It is no cohesive or structured linearly. Game ideas are randomly inserted making for a haphazard creation.
Richard
This doesn't even rate being called a role-playing game. There's nothing in it for directing novices to create stories, only how to read the tables contained within its pages.
John
Oct 08, 2012 John rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: rpg
This book surprised me. Maybe my expectations were low, but it really does help you DM. I'd recommend it for any Dungeon Master.
Mia McInnis
A guide for those running a D&D game - basic rules with a few gaps, but good for the beginner who is wiling to take the time.
Kurt Vosper
4th edition of the popular game. I thought this addition was much more player friendly than 3...but not as good as 2nd.
Ben
Jan 24, 2011 Ben added it
Don't normally list a book like this as reading. But I'm reading it cover to cover, so guess that works.
Dinah
Would it kill Wizards of the Coasts to have decent indexes at the back of their books? Would it?
Jon
They had some interesting tips in here. Worth a look through.
Morbus Iff
Quite good, actually; stronger than 3E's.
Abraham Ray
good starter book for 4th ed. dnd dungeonmasters!
Ganglion Bard-barbarian
Pen and paper World of Warcraft.
André Angelo
André Angelo marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Nicholas
Nicholas marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Summer Woody
Summer Woody marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
  • Player's Handbook (Dungeons & Dragons v.3.5)
  • Monster Manual (Dungeons & Dragons v.3.5)
  • Dungeon Master's Guide (Dungeons & Dragons v.3.5)
  • Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (Forgotten Realms)
  • Player's Handbook II
  • Deities and Demigods
  • Monster Manual II (Dungeons & Dragons d20 3.0 Fantasy Roleplaying Supplement)
  • Complete Arcane (Dungeons & Dragons v.3.5)
  • Player's Handbook (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, Core Rulebook)
  • Eberron Campaign Setting (D&D: Eberron)
  • Unearthed Arcana (Dungeons & Dragons)
  • Manual of the Planes
  • Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition
  • Faiths and Pantheons (Forgotten Realms) (Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition)
  • Tome and Blood: A Guidebook to Wizards and Sorcerers (Dungeons & Dragons d20 3.0 Fantasy Roleplaying)
  • Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook (Pathfinder RPG)
  • The World of Darkness (Main Rulebook)
  • Star Wars Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook, Saga Edition
Monster Manual: A 4th Edition Core Rulebook Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook 2: A 4th Edition D&D Core Rulebook 4th Edition Core Rulebook Collection Forgotten Realms Player's Guide: A 4th Edition D&D Supplement Eberron Player's Guide: A 4th Edition D&D Supplement