Start by marking “When Bugs Were Big, Plants Were Strange, and Tetrapods Stalked the Earth: A Cartoon Prehistory of Life before Dinosaurs” as Want to Read:

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A centipede as long as a couch? Trees so tall they touch the clouds? Amphibians changing into reptiles? These are just a few of the amazing life forms detailed in When Bugs Were Big....This lively new paperback tickles the reader’s funny bone while imparting tons of information about the animals, plants, and bugs that lived before the dinosaurs. Children will read "news re ...more
Published March 1st 2004 by National Geographic Children's Books

Be the first to ask a question about When Bugs Were Big, Plants Were Strange, and Tetrapods Stalked the Earth

Joshua
This is exactly the kind of book I would've gone nuts over, about 20 years ago. Heck, I'm pretty nuts about this book today. It isn't a paneled comic-book format, but rather text surrounded and supported by annotated illustrations, diagrams, and cartoons. (As synapsids are explained, a cartoon turtle declares, "I need that like I need a hole in the head!")
The book is a guide to the Carboniferous and Permian periods (the end of the Paleozoic), and Bonner keeps things pretty simple, but doesn't go
Kam-Yung Soh
This children's book covers the Carboniferous and Permian periods with interesting illustrations and facts about the various unusual creatures that lived during that period.

In that period, unlike the plants and animals that we are used to nowadays, very early ferns and invertebrates dominated the land. The insects, in particular, grew to huge, spectacular sizes. In the oceans, strange looking fishes and giant invertebrates hunted.

During the Permian, the books touches on the two major groups of a

This is a fabulous informational book! As I was searching the shelves of the Juvenile/Young Adult section of my local library, I saw the title of this book and immediately decided to pick it up and take a closer look. The ability of a title to draw in a reader can be the first sign of a good book. Upon further perusal, I noticed other elements that could make this a good informational book. It had bright, crisp illustrations. Pictures of Carboniferous and Permian (pre-Triassic and Jurassic) era
Alice Sujata
While there's a seemingly endless supply of juvenile books about the Mesozoic age, good ones covering the Paleozoic are scarce. After reading The Story of Life On Earth by Margret Munro, we used this book to dive deeper into the details of the evolution of life during this era.

The Carboniferous and Permian periods are explained in simple terms with interesting facts about both plant and animal life during these ages. Fun comics and jokes about the time are scattered throughout and help explain t
Janice
Published by National Geographic, this book deals with the Carboniferous and Permian periods of Earth’s history. Told in an easy-to-understand manner plus great pictures and cartoons to go along with the explanations make this a fun, informative read. There are charts, maps, and silly drawings to capture students’ attention. A lot of information is packed into this thin volume. I could see students picking this up more than once.
Abby Johnson
This book explores the plants and animals of the Carboniferous and Permian eras, way before dinosaurs were around. With cartoons and many detailed illustrations, Bonner brings this prehistoric world to life. Her books really make me realize that in the history of the world, humanity is nothing more than a drop in the bucket. Big ideas are simplified and made fun and interesting. Wahoo!
Katie
Awesome book! Explains a lot about pre-dinosaur species (especially reptiles and amphibians), which usually get short shrift. :)
Mark
Fun to read, good pictures and humor.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Very informative, with great pictures.
Steve
The perfect childrens book.
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Cindy
Cindy added it
Jan 15, 2015
Marianne
Marianne marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Emme Toth
Emme Toth marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Mariann Ward
Mariann Ward marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Shauna
Shauna marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Coco
Coco added it
May 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
When Fish Got Feet, Sharks Got Teeth, and Bugs Began to Swarm: A Cartoon Prehistory of Life Long Before Dinosaurs When Dinos Dawned, Mammals Got Munched, and Pterosaurs Took Flight: A Cartoon PreHistory of Life in the Triassic When Fish Got Feet, When Bugs Were Big, and When Dinos Dawned: A Cartoon Prehistory of Life on Earth Animal Mind, Human Voices: Provings of Eight New Animal Remedies Waverstack