The Richest Man Who Ever Lived: King Solomon's Secrets to Success, Wealth, and Happiness

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  361 ratings  ·  53 reviews
In this short, powerful book, multimillionaire and bestselling author Steven K. Scott reveals King Solomon’s breakthrough strategies to achieve a life of financial success and personal fulfillment.

Steve Scott flunked out of every job he held in his first six years after college. He couldn’t succeed no matter how hard he tried. Then Dr. Gary Smalley challenged him to study...more
Published February 21st 2006 by Crown Business (first published 2006)

Karen Steward
I love this book! There are life lessons throughout, food for thought, and words written in a way that causes reader places a mirror to his or her own soul. This book challenges me to think things through more thoroughly and to react to certain situations in a different way than I normally would. Though I know every situation-even painful ones-help mould us into the person we are meant to be, this work shed a new ray of light on the many why's that we often ask. Biblically based, it stands tall...more
Larry
I was praying for a mentor in my life in 2008, when this book attracted me! I got two mentors Solomon & Steven K Scott. Solomon's debt to take you to spiritual laws & strategies of living, helped me to brake through a dark area in my life. Steven k Scott became an example of those laws & strategies that mentored me to follow after spiritual choices that will change your life! ONE OF THE GREATEST BOOKS I HAVE EVER READ!!!!
José Eduardo Amaral Leal
Ótima leitura para quem se interessa por autodesenvolvimento. Em linguagem simples, destila a sabedoria bíblica contida em parte dos provérbios atribuídos a Salomão. Discute alguns valores e virtudes que também são compartilhados em outras fontes de sabedoria espiritual, apresentando suas correspondentes crenças potenciadoras associadas, e faz um convite à congruência a partir da possibilidade de saudáveis mudanças de comportamento. Vale a pena conferir e, quem sabe, adotar a prática da leitura...more
Trace
With such a great topic as a premise, I really thought I'd LOVE this book. I certainly tried hard to love it.

But it really fell short for me. I struggled with with the authors interpretation of some of the scriptures. He doesn't even go into any in-depth look at the origins and meanings of the various proverbs. He does not include ANY history or research on the book of Proverbs. The author simply assumes that we will accept his interpretation without any explanation whatsover.

I could get over...more
Brenten Gilbert
So, I wasn’t certain what to expect from this book. Form the title, you could kind of guess that it’s a “get rich quick book” or perhaps one of the many self-help books that tries ever so awkwardly to spiritualize the art of becoming successful by the standards of the world. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that it’s more about reading the book of Proverbs and applying its wisdom and truths to your life. About pursuing a Godly life and reaping success according to higher standards. Included i...more
Debbie Phillips
Dec 21, 2013 Debbie Phillips rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Christians - high school to adult
We finished it!! Finally!!! What a great little book. I definitely want to read it again. Soon.

I read this book aloud to my hubby. That is what took us so long. We had some great discussions because of reading this book and maybe our delays in reading the book were God designed.... or maybe not. :-)

Because of the suggestion by Dr. Gary Smalley to read Proverbs through a chapter a day each month for a year (or more), which he suggested to the author, which is why Steven Scott wrote this book, I...more
Deanna
This book recounts the author's experience with applying the wisdom of Proverbs in his life each day. He gives examples of his personal success by applying Solomon's own wisdom. Some chapters I liked a lot and others were really boring for me. Not only does he speak about wealth, but he tackles relationships and overall happiness. I liked his definitions of knowledge and wisdom at the end of the book.

This book was a perfect book to read with my husband. We had a lot of good discussions and I'm g...more
Sknowles
There wasn't as much "meat" to this book as I had hoped. However, as others have pointed out, the true test is in the application. On that score, it has motivated me to follow the author's suggestion to read a chapter a day. This habit is a lot like planting a garden--not all of the fruit is harvestable on day one. I do believe the discipline will yield valuable fruit and will pay dividends in all areas of life.
Christian Allen
Essentially a list of already known characteristics of successful people well matched to a series of verses in Proverbs. With that purpose in mind, there's plenty of content on avoiding sloth, envy, pride and listening to fools, not all of which directly correlates to success or lack thereof and of course is framed in the Good v. Evil Christian-Judea mindset. Get used to seeing 'In Proverbs xx:xx Solomon tells us...," the equivalence of a sermon in print.

All seemed full of wisdom that happened t...more
Parker
This book was recommended to me by mentor Virgil Klunder. The author basically takes the book of Proverbs, and extracts wisdom from the sayings of Solomon. I couldn't help but think, "Philosophies of men, mingled with scripture" when I started the book, as God is strangely missing from most of the pages, but overall, the principles taught are true and beneficial.

I particularly liked the section which talks about the importance of maintaining vision, and transferring your vision into small steps...more
Enrique
The title makes you think: Oh, here is another get rich quick sheme. No it is far from it. It is a basic blue print for prosperity living the way Christ wanted us to live. I commend Steven for it. I highly recommend. And if your not going to read it, than just read the book of proverbs, for King Solomon wrote every last one of them. The richest man who ever lived he truly was. In the bible, he was given gifts of gold, in the hundreds of tons. If you did the math and added up the exact amount, it...more
Jo-Ann
This book by Steven K. Scott is a down to earth series of strategies designed to provide a moral framework for those wanting "the good life". He provides a blueprint for love, health,wealth and happiness, reassuring the reader that wanting these things in and of themselves is not inherently evil - rather, it is the amount - greed - and methods - immoral - to acquire them that leads us to difficulty. I will certainly read more. I especially like that Scott is rigorously honest in citing examples...more
Linda
Some people may find this book valuable. (I was hoping to). Although the idea is good, I questioned the author's interpretation of the wisdom contained in Proverbs, which is the basic reference for the entire book. The advice also seemed somewhat simplistic and I questioned how following the checklists in the book could produce such incredible results. (OK, maybe I'm just skeptical). I may have finished the book if I had been in a place in my life that I wanted to put the advice to the test, but...more
Brian Vallotton
I was encouraged to continue to look to God's Word as the source for all wisdom and true happiness. Steven K. Scott writes with humility about the times he failed to follow the advice of Solomon as well as being living proof of the success that comes when you heed the words of wisdom. I would recommend this book to others. The questions at the end of each chapter are well thought out and very practical.
Pamela
This book is a quick read but it wasn't as fulfilling as the title and preface suggested it would be. The main point of the book was captured in the last pages: Read the book of Proverbs for yourself. I do think that there is a lot of wisdom worth reading in Proverbs. The author of this book only covers a fraction. This book could be a starting point but is definitely not a substitute for reading Proverbs.
Candice Beever
Basically, it's a book to tell you what can be gleaned from reading a chapter of Proverbs every day for the next two years. While I don't doubt the lessons, why two years? You're essentially reading Proverbs 24 times in a row.

To it's credit, Proverbs does have some pretty sound advice. And after reading this, I did read Proverbs several times, just not for 2 years.
Linda Taylor
I LOVE this book! What an inspiration to use the bible as it was intended - as a guide for every area of our lives! This is the HOW TO manual if you are a business owner or have hopes of becoming a business owner. This is very well written. Easy to read and packs a powerful punch!
Steve
The book of proverbs is the manual for wisdom in life. Here the author weaves some of that Biblical wisdom into a story to apply in practical business situations. The lessons taught here are with good sound advice for contemporary times. It was in my top ten favorite books.
Judy Upton
This selection was one of a Book Club hosted by my mentor in my home based business. It reminds me of the lessons learned through out my growing years in Sunday School and Church. But it challenges me to do more in every aspect of my life. A great read for any one.
Rob
a book based (sometimes loosely) on knowledge gleaned from the book of proverbs. Phenomenal success story. There is always a lot you can learn from these verses and this book. Just remember to look at the actual bible verses, too. You'll learn alot more!
Danny
Esther May
The chapter on diligence spoke to me. It helped me to think of some things that I can do better and some things that I can throw out of my life. This is a super fast read and fairly interesting and a good reminder to always be improving.
Booksaurus
Great book. The advice is profound. Some are so logical, yet you never stand still and think about it. Just with any good self-development book, the key lies, of course, in how you apply the principles diligently until you see a result.
Stephen Mullins
This book is alright as far as self-help books go. Towards the end, I got tired of the plugs for other books. The author does to a good job of providing exercises at the end of each chapter to apply what was just discussed.
Kristin Ross
A great guide to iproving your life and succeeding in whatever you do. Great for work, finances and relationships as well. I have learned some of the most effective communications for my marriage from reading this book.
Cameron
This book has some good principles that you can use, but again it is one of those things that requires you to consistently do something each day to really see the effects of the message (namely from the Bible).
Eryc Tri Juni S
I think proverb isn't just about pursuiing wealth. It is contains more than that. So what is it called ? WISDOM and the responsibility. Just imagine, what you gonna do if you become King Solomon ?
Anna
I really enjoyed this book and will work to put into practice some of its teachings. Some will be hard for me such as thinking about things before I say them... but I can see the value in doing this.
Ressurrection
I really think that this is my favorite book since reading Robert Kiyosaki. This book I can say also changed my life. I was not the same after reading this book.
  • The Heart of a Leader
  • The One Year Uncommon Life Daily Challenge
  • Success Is a Choice: Ten Steps to Overachieving in Business and Life
  • Just Courage
  • The Return of the Ragpicker
  • The Ant and the Elephant: Leadership for the Self: A Parable and 5-Step Action Plan to Transform Workplace Performance
  • It's Called Work for a Reason!: Your Success Is Your Own Damn Fault
  • Master-Key to Riches
  • Rich Dad's Prophecy: Why the Biggest Stock Market Crash in History Is Still Coming...and How You Can Prepare Yourself and Profit from It!
  • LeaderShift: A Call for Americans to Finally Stand Up and Lead
  • The Dynamic Laws of Prosperity
  • Rhinoceros Success
  • Jesus CEO: Using Ancient Wisdom for Visionary Leadership
  • Running with the Giants: What the Old Testament Heroes Want You to Know About Life and Leadership
  • Eat Mor Chikin: Inspire More People
  • Your Money Counts: The Biblical Guide to Earning, Spending, Saving, Investing, Giving, and Getting Out of Debt
  • Life's Greatest Lessons: 20 Things That Matter
  • You Were Born Rich: Now You Can Discover And Develop Those Riches
Steven K. Scott is the best-selling author of The Richest Man Who Ever Lived, The Greatest Words Ever Spoken, and Mentored by a Millionaire.

After failing in nine jobs, he started reading a chapter of Proverbs every day–and the wisdom of Scripture changed his life. Scott and his business partners have built more than a dozen multimillion-dollar companies from scratch, achieving billions of dollars...more
More about Steven K. Scott...
The Greatest Words Ever Spoken: Everything Jesus Said about You, Your Life, and Everything Else Mentored by a Millionaire: Master Strategies of Super Achievers Simple Steps to Impossible Dreams: The 15 Power Secrets of the World's Most Successful People Millionaire's Notebook: How Ordinary People Can Achieve Extraordinary Success The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived: Secrets for Unparalleled Success from the Life of Jesus

“A VISION is a precise, clearly defined goal with a detailed plan and timetable for achieving that goal.” 1 likes