Start by marking “The Richest Man Who Ever Lived: King Solomon's Secrets to Success, Wealth, and Happiness” as Want to Read:

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  538 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
In this short, powerful book, multimillionaire and bestselling author Steven K. Scott reveals King Solomon’s breakthrough strategies to achieve a life of financial success and personal fulfillment.

Steve Scott flunked out of every job he held in his first six years after college. He couldn’t succeed no matter how hard he tried. Then Dr. Gary Smalley challenged him to study
Published February 21st 2006 by Crown Business (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Richest Man Who Ever Lived, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Richest Man Who Ever Lived

Larry
Jul 10, 2012 Larry rated it it was amazing
I was praying for a mentor in my life in 2008, when this book attracted me! I got two mentors Solomon & Steven K Scott. Solomon's debt to take you to spiritual laws & strategies of living, helped me to brake through a dark area in my life. Steven k Scott became an example of those laws & strategies that mentored me to follow after spiritual choices that will change your life! ONE OF THE GREATEST BOOKS I HAVE EVER READ!!!!
Karen Steward
Aug 07, 2011 Karen Steward rated it it was amazing
I love this book! There are life lessons throughout, food for thought, and words written in a way that causes reader places a mirror to his or her own soul. This book challenges me to think things through more thoroughly and to react to certain situations in a different way than I normally would. Though I know every situation-even painful ones-help mould us into the person we are meant to be, this work shed a new ray of light on the many why's that we often ask. Biblically based, it stands tall ...more
Costen Warner
May 07, 2015 Costen Warner rated it really liked it
Great book to read and discuss with a group of people. Lots of good practical explanations.
José Eduardo Amaral Leal
Ótima leitura para quem se interessa por autodesenvolvimento. Em linguagem simples, destila a sabedoria bíblica contida em parte dos provérbios atribuídos a Salomão. Discute alguns valores e virtudes que também são compartilhados em outras fontes de sabedoria espiritual, apresentando suas correspondentes crenças potenciadoras associadas, e faz um convite à congruência a partir da possibilidade de saudáveis mudanças de comportamento. Vale a pena conferir e, quem sabe, adotar a prática da leitura ...more
Trace
Jan 14, 2012 Trace rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012-booklist
With such a great topic as a premise, I really thought I'd LOVE this book. I certainly tried hard to love it.

But it really fell short for me. I struggled with with the authors interpretation of some of the scriptures. He doesn't even go into any in-depth look at the origins and meanings of the various proverbs. He does not include ANY history or research on the book of Proverbs. The author simply assumes that we will accept his interpretation without any explanation whatsover.

I could get over
Brenten Gilbert
So, I wasn’t certain what to expect from this book. Form the title, you could kind of guess that it’s a “get rich quick book” or perhaps one of the many self-help books that tries ever so awkwardly to spiritualize the art of becoming successful by the standards of the world. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that it’s more about reading the book of Proverbs and applying its wisdom and truths to your life. About pursuing a Godly life and reaping success according to higher standards. Included i ...more
Debbie Phillips
Dec 21, 2013 Debbie Phillips rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Christians - high school to adult
We finished it!! Finally!!! What a great little book. I definitely want to read it again. Soon.

I read this book aloud to my hubby. That is what took us so long. We had some great discussions because of reading this book and maybe our delays in reading the book were God designed.... or maybe not. :-)

Because of the suggestion by Dr. Gary Smalley to read Proverbs through a chapter a day each month for a year (or more), which he suggested to the author, which is why Steven Scott wrote this book, I
Deanna
This book recounts the author's experience with applying the wisdom of Proverbs in his life each day. He gives examples of his personal success by applying Solomon's own wisdom. Some chapters I liked a lot and others were really boring for me. Not only does he speak about wealth, but he tackles relationships and overall happiness. I liked his definitions of knowledge and wisdom at the end of the book.

This book was a perfect book to read with my husband. We had a lot of good discussions and I'm g
Sknowles
May 31, 2014 Sknowles rated it really liked it
There wasn't as much "meat" to this book as I had hoped. However, as others have pointed out, the true test is in the application. On that score, it has motivated me to follow the author's suggestion to read a chapter a day. This habit is a lot like planting a garden--not all of the fruit is harvestable on day one. I do believe the discipline will yield valuable fruit and will pay dividends in all areas of life.
Christian Allen
Jul 16, 2012 Christian Allen rated it did not like it
Essentially a list of already known characteristics of successful people well matched to a series of verses in Proverbs. With that purpose in mind, there's plenty of content on avoiding sloth, envy, pride and listening to fools, not all of which directly correlates to success or lack thereof and of course is framed in the Good v. Evil Christian-Judea mindset. Get used to seeing 'In Proverbs xx:xx Solomon tells us...," the equivalence of a sermon in print.

All seemed full of wisdom that happened t
Parker
Jun 25, 2009 Parker rated it liked it
This book was recommended to me by mentor Virgil Klunder. The author basically takes the book of Proverbs, and extracts wisdom from the sayings of Solomon. I couldn't help but think, "Philosophies of men, mingled with scripture" when I started the book, as God is strangely missing from most of the pages, but overall, the principles taught are true and beneficial.

I particularly liked the section which talks about the importance of maintaining vision, and transferring your vision into small steps
Epi Sanchez
Jan 04, 2016 Epi Sanchez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book to read, love the idea of Proverbs and how one can implement them in daily reading. Definitely an awesome read for business and religion.
Raquel Hill
Jan 07, 2016 Raquel Hill rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Currently re-reading. Started reading it as an assignment,but did not finish.. So this will be my first read of the year. Looking forward to its biblical based story line
Enrique
Jan 18, 2012 Enrique rated it it was amazing
The title makes you think: Oh, here is another get rich quick sheme. No it is far from it. It is a basic blue print for prosperity living the way Christ wanted us to live. I commend Steven for it. I highly recommend. And if your not going to read it, than just read the book of proverbs, for King Solomon wrote every last one of them. The richest man who ever lived he truly was. In the bible, he was given gifts of gold, in the hundreds of tons. If you did the math and added up the exact amount, it ...more
C.A. Gray
Mar 15, 2015 C.A. Gray rated it it was amazing
I plowed through this book - it's a really inspiring collection of wisdom and biographies of people who have used them and turned failure into great success in all areas of life, from business to personal finances to relationships.
Jo-Ann
Jan 04, 2013 Jo-Ann rated it it was amazing
This book by Steven K. Scott is a down to earth series of strategies designed to provide a moral framework for those wanting "the good life". He provides a blueprint for love, health,wealth and happiness, reassuring the reader that wanting these things in and of themselves is not inherently evil - rather, it is the amount - greed - and methods - immoral - to acquire them that leads us to difficulty. I will certainly read more. I especially like that Scott is rigorously honest in citing examples ...more
Linda
Dec 14, 2007 Linda rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Some people may find this book valuable. (I was hoping to). Although the idea is good, I questioned the author's interpretation of the wisdom contained in Proverbs, which is the basic reference for the entire book. The advice also seemed somewhat simplistic and I questioned how following the checklists in the book could produce such incredible results. (OK, maybe I'm just skeptical). I may have finished the book if I had been in a place in my life that I wanted to put the advice to the test, but ...more
Tad McDowell
Sep 17, 2014 Tad McDowell rated it really liked it
Very interesting
Kendall Paral
Nov 28, 2014 Kendall Paral rated it it was amazing
I love this book! Great life lessons!
Brian Vallotton
Jan 30, 2011 Brian Vallotton rated it really liked it
I was encouraged to continue to look to God's Word as the source for all wisdom and true happiness. Steven K. Scott writes with humility about the times he failed to follow the advice of Solomon as well as being living proof of the success that comes when you heed the words of wisdom. I would recommend this book to others. The questions at the end of each chapter are well thought out and very practical.
Pamela
Jul 20, 2010 Pamela rated it liked it
This book is a quick read but it wasn't as fulfilling as the title and preface suggested it would be. The main point of the book was captured in the last pages: Read the book of Proverbs for yourself. I do think that there is a lot of wisdom worth reading in Proverbs. The author of this book only covers a fraction. This book could be a starting point but is definitely not a substitute for reading Proverbs.
Perssis Namour
Jul 08, 2015 Perssis Namour rated it it was amazing
Insightful, full of wisdom as you might imagine a book that has the wisest man that ever lived as the foundation. Each chapter is pulled straight from the book of proverbs with explanations in case you need them.
Candice Beever
Aug 19, 2009 Candice Beever rated it liked it
Basically, it's a book to tell you what can be gleaned from reading a chapter of Proverbs every day for the next two years. While I don't doubt the lessons, why two years? You're essentially reading Proverbs 24 times in a row.

To it's credit, Proverbs does have some pretty sound advice. And after reading this, I did read Proverbs several times, just not for 2 years.
Linda Taylor
Jun 20, 2012 Linda Taylor rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book! What an inspiration to use the bible as it was intended - as a guide for every area of our lives! This is the HOW TO manual if you are a business owner or have hopes of becoming a business owner. This is very well written. Easy to read and packs a powerful punch!
Steve
Nov 29, 2012 Steve rated it it was amazing
The book of proverbs is the manual for wisdom in life. Here the author weaves some of that Biblical wisdom into a story to apply in practical business situations. The lessons taught here are with good sound advice for contemporary times. It was in my top ten favorite books.
Jonika
Jan 14, 2010 Jonika rated it really liked it
Judy Upton
Jan 18, 2015 Judy Upton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
This selection was one of a Book Club hosted by my mentor in my home based business. It reminds me of the lessons learned through out my growing years in Sunday School and Church. But it challenges me to do more in every aspect of my life. A great read for any one.
Rob
Jun 17, 2008 Rob rated it really liked it
a book based (sometimes loosely) on knowledge gleaned from the book of proverbs. Phenomenal success story. There is always a lot you can learn from these verses and this book. Just remember to look at the actual bible verses, too. You'll learn alot more!
Danny
Jan 08, 2013 Danny rated it really liked it
Esther May
Oct 01, 2012 Esther May rated it liked it
The chapter on diligence spoke to me. It helped me to think of some things that I can do better and some things that I can throw out of my life. This is a super fast read and fairly interesting and a good reminder to always be improving.
  • The Power of Four: Leadership Lessons of Crazy Horse
  • Confidence of a Champion: Becoming Who You Were Created to Be by Letting Go of Lies from the Past
  • The One Year Uncommon Life Daily Challenge
  • Think Like a Billionaire, Become a Billionaire
  • Success Is a Choice: Ten Steps to Overachieving in Business and Life
  • The Heart of a Leader
  • God Wants You to Be Rich: How and Why Everyone Can Enjoy Material and Spiritual Wealth in Our Abundant World
  • The One Minute Millionaire: The Enlightened Way to Wealth
  • Just Courage: God's Great Expedition for the Restless Christian
  • The Return of the Ragpicker
  • The Power to Prosper: 21 Days to Financial Freedom
  • The Laws of Lifetime Growth: Always Make Your Future Bigger Than Your Past
  • Your Money Counts: The Biblical Guide to Earning, Spending, Saving, Investing, Giving, and Getting Out of Debt
  • Eat Mor Chikin: Inspire More People
  • Secrets of the Richest Man Who Ever Lived
  • It's Called Work for a Reason!: Your Success Is Your Own Damn Fault
  • LeaderShift: A Call for Americans to Finally Stand Up and Lead
  • Business by the Book: The Complete Guide of Biblical Principles for the Workplace
Steven K. Scott is the best-selling author of The Richest Man Who Ever Lived, The Greatest Words Ever Spoken, and Mentored by a Millionaire.

After failing in nine jobs, he started reading a chapter of Proverbs every day–and the wisdom of Scripture changed his life. Scott and his business partners have built more than a dozen multimillion-dollar companies from scratch, achieving billions of dollars
More about Steven K. Scott...

“A VISION is a precise, clearly defined goal with a detailed plan and timetable for achieving that goal.” 4 likes
“1. Starting with your most important dream in any given area, write a clear and precise description of that dream. This description should be at least a sentence or two, but no more than a single page. If possible, try to draw or find a picture that provides you with an image or symbol of what fulfilling this dream might look like. 2. Create a “Goals Page” for that specific dream. To do this, state the dream at the top of the page. Then make a list of the specific, intermediate “goals” that need to be achieved to fulfill that dream. This step converts your dreams into specific goals. 3. Create a page for each goal and label those pages “Goals to Steps.” On each page, list the intermediate goal you want to achieve, then list the steps that need to be taken to achieve that goal. 4. Next, take any complex step in your list of steps that requires the completion of more than one task, and create a “Steps to Tasks” page. List the specific tasks that need to be completed to take that step. 5. The final step in this process is to assign completion dates to each task and step. Once you’ve done that, you are ready to begin. Now you can work on achieving each goal one task or step at a time. Complete each step, one by one, until you have achieved your dream. This process will likely” 0 likes