Start by marking “Fires in the Bathroom: Advice for Teachers from High School Students” as Want to Read:
Fires in the Bathroom: Advice for Teachers from High School Students

Fires in the Bathroom: Advice for Teachers from High School Students

Since its initial publication in hardcover in 2003, Fires in the Bathroom has been through multiple printings and received the attention of teachers across the country. Now in paperback, Kathleen Cushman’s groundbreaking book offers original insights into teaching teenagers in today’s hard-pressed urban high schools from the point of view of the students themselves. It spe ...more
Published April 1st 2005 by The New Press (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Fires in the Bathroom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fires in the Bathroom

The Book Whisperer by Donalyn MillerThe First Days Of School by Harry K. WongPedagogy of the Oppressed by Paulo FreireSavage Inequalities by Jonathan KozolEducating Esmé by Esmé Raji Codell
books for teachers, educators
101st out of 505 books — 475 voters
My First Travel Angelic Airline Adventures by Anna OthitisTeach Like a Champion by Doug LemovThe First Days Of School by Harry K. WongEducating Esmé by Esmé Raji CodellSavage Inequalities by Jonathan Kozol
Books every teacher should read
31st out of 167 books — 180 voters

More lists with this book...

jacky
Sep 30, 2010 jacky rated it liked it
Fires in the Bathroom: Advice for Teachers from High School Students mislead me. The title and premise conjured a picture of a superficial book that gave mostly obvious and angst filled ideas padded by some feel good support from the author. That was not the case at all.

Fires in the Bathroom is actually a level headed, thorough, and well organized text for new teachers. Cushman and her student collaborators spent countless hours working on the material for this book. In fact, there is even a cha
Jazmyne
Jul 23, 2016 Jazmyne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ed-ref, library
I love, love, love this book. I would say it's more of a 4.5 instead of a 5 though.

The best quality of this book is the fact that it uses actual students and the advice they give. The students come from a variety of backgrounds: gender, race, age, etc. It isn't just a bunch of high-performing kids that find school easy. Instead, it's a mix of high and low performers, and a whole bunch of other demographics.

The advice these kids give is real. It gave me so much insight and understanding, and I fe
sydney
May 24, 2007 sydney rated it liked it
Recommends it for: new teachers, jerky teachers
This was a good introduction to some basic rules of teaching-- don't try to be your students' friend, don't stand at the board and lecture, don't assume the worst just because a kid has his head down, don't show up on your student's doorstep wanting to chat (you hear that, Michelle Pfeiffer?), etc.

The wisdom in the book comes from interviews with a bunch of high schoolers from California, Rhode Island, and New York, and about half of them taught at or attended Summerbridge/Breakthrough Collabor
Christie
Aug 20, 2008 Christie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: new teachers
Shelves: education
After book after book on theory, it was nice to be assigned a book that focuses on creating a dialogue between adults and teens, rather than just adults analyzing and drawing conclusions from their experiences with/observations of youth (not to say that's an invalid way of researching, it's just nice to see a new point-of-view). I will say that this is probably a resource that will be more valuable to new teachers, as I would think that most veteran teachers have developed a greater understandin ...more
Robert Long
Jul 09, 2011 Robert Long rated it really liked it
You would hope that much of this book would be common sense for teachers, but I can understand how a lot of these things may go overlooked when you have so much to think about. At first, I was thinking "come on, i know all this stuff. Treat kids fairly, try and get them to do their best." Yet, I know it isn't that easy. I really enjoyed this book! It has great modules to give to the students regarding how to ask them questions and so forth. After reading this book, I have a greater understanding ...more
Doug Crook
Feb 12, 2014 Doug Crook rated it really liked it
This book is almost entirely driven by student quotes and observations. It doesn't seem like it should be such a novel concept but it really gives a perspective that is often overlooked when teachers are talking about the best interests of the students versus finding out what the students perception of those ideals really is. It confronts a lot of stereotypes and makes abstract discussions more relevant.

My only gripe with the book is the contradictory nature of so many of the passages. I unders
Lindsay Merrill
Sep 16, 2016 Lindsay Merrill rated it it was ok
1.5 stars.

The idea that teachers should listen to students and their needs is important but not new. Realistically, this book could/should have been condensed into a 20 page pamphlet.

Pros:
-Some interesting quotes/experiences shared through the voice of students.

Cons:
-Redundant
-Poor/questionable organization (In particular, the quotes that were often used to "back up" or illustrate a particular point the author made didn't always really seem to have a whole lot to do with the point the author w
Claudia
Feb 11, 2010 Claudia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: every teacher I know
I'm so impressed with the premise for this book: ask high school students to give new teachers advice on how to be successful. I was taken by the fact that the students identified many of the Five Core Propositions that National Board says all accomplished teachers reflect: commitment to students, knowing their subject and how to teach, motivating and managing learning, and reaching outside the classroom...the only one of the Propositions students didn't mention was reflection, and there were pl ...more
Jennifer Navarrete
Jan 31, 2016 Jennifer Navarrete rated it really liked it
A must-read for new teachers and a must-review for teachers who have been in the classroom for awhile. Everything these children have to say is 100% true, and we've all heard it before in the form of educational jargon. Hearing it "out of the mouths of babes" makes it sink in that much more.
Mary
Aug 03, 2011 Mary rated it it was ok
I guess mostly I wished Cushman would have backed off her own agenda for a little bit and allowed these kids time and space to craft their own ideas about good teaching. It sounds like she just sat in a room with them and goaded them to say certain things (including some awful things about former teachers of theirs who were presumably still in the classroom) and then had somebody write it all down word for word. There are some little nuggets of wisdom, and the kids are lovely and candid (but whe ...more
Susan Bazzett-griffith
Jun 19, 2014 Susan Bazzett-griffith rated it it was ok
Shelves: teaching-books
Eh. Barely two stars. I can see how this book could be interesting/valuable to a brand new teacher, but really, it is a lot of common sense. The student quotes were somewhat painful to read because the grammar was so poor (seriously? If their teachers haven't even taught them how to write grammatically correct sentences, they SHOULD be bitching and offering them advice, I suppose...). I just don't see how tidbits of advice like, "Get to know your students, know their neighborhood, have high expe ...more
Rachel Parent
Sep 05, 2015 Rachel Parent rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource. I will definitely use the advice in this book to inform my teaching.
Preceptor
Get perspective from the students' point of view about teaching
Emily Menough
Jan 27, 2014 Emily Menough rated it liked it
Interesting and very useful book for pre-service or first-year teachers. My only somewhat damning issue was the constant restatement of previously used quotes.
Lori
Dec 15, 2009 Lori rated it liked it
Shelves: educational
Students came together and gave their thoughts, insight and help in regards to what teachers can do better to teach them. Coming from the perspective of students who are labeled as ELL, ESL and SES, these students help teachers to see another perspective. While the book discusses similar topics repeatedly and the student's answers do become monotonous, it only reinforces what students are thinking.

This book is a great resource to remind someone what the students are thinking and how to more effe
Liz
Jan 01, 2012 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: teacher-helps
I read this while I was student teaching suburban/rural HS in UT. I was planning to land a job as an inner city teacher in DC. I was baffled by the title.

Then, I got my dream urban job, and totally understood it. The bathroom (or boys locker room) was lit on fire regularly.

Anyway, I'd highly recommend this book to any new teacher, or to any teacher working with inner city kids.

The bottom line: students want to be challenged. Structure and challenges, they thrive on it, even amongst the chaos o
Kristie
Jul 29, 2014 Kristie rated it it was amazing
Great resource for teachers, especially new ones!
Linda
Jun 22, 2014 Linda rated it liked it
it was okay, some good ideas.
Elizabeth
Jul 27, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who interacts with high school students
Recommended to Elizabeth by: I read it for my Adolescent Development course at NYU.
This book is the collection of the opinions of a diverse group of high school students from around the country...their opinions on everything related to school, from pop quizzes to classroom behavior expectations. Their voices are real, honest and down-to-earth without being overly whiny and demanding in their tones. There are tons of interesting anecdotes. Overall it's an important perspective to be exposed to for anyone who works with this age group.
Mrs.Shaw
Jan 23, 2014 Mrs.Shaw rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It was nice to hear from the students directly.
Jessica
Nov 19, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing
This book was good. It's full of stuff that high school kids actually said. My biggest complaint, perhaps, is that it's at times contradictory... But actually, that makes sense. I mean, there is no one formula that makes teaching easy. If there were, I'm sure we'd have already figured it out by now. Anyway, it only took a couple hours to read this, so it's definitely a good return for your time investment.
Myra
Jan 26, 2008 Myra rated it really liked it
Though somewhat standard info, this comes straight from the mouths of high school kids in oakland, nyc, etc. Includes a few interesting exercises for teachers, too, aimed at trying to figure out how you teach and treat individual students vs. the class, clarifying grading policies and expectations. Quick read, and thought-provoking. I recommend it to new teachers, especially for the summer before starting.
Aug 22, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it
This book has a lot of good ideas. I can see it being especially useful for new teachers. Reading this as an experienced teacher, I found I was already doing much of what was being discussed, but there are a couple of ideas that I want to implement into my plans.

I would like to see this same book written for a middle class, suburban high school. The issues are both the same and totally different.
Ellen
Mar 20, 2008 Ellen rated it liked it
Some interesting and good suggestions from students and points made by authors. Somewhat repetitive in the quotes and concepts. Not sure who would find it interesting other than high-school teachers. Doesn't do enough to point out that students are ultimately responsible for their own learning and that parents and communities have the obligation to educate children, along with teachers.
Jan 24, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I hate non-fiction books, but every once in a while I'll suck it up because I think I might learn something. I did. Kids are so honest & you just can't hide anything from them because they see through all the b*#!^*@%!. As a teacher, I get way more from kid advice than teacher advice. Afterall, the kids are the ones who have to sit there and learn from me. :)
D
Mar 18, 2016 D rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education
This book is packed with clear, meaningful feedback from students to teachers on how to deal with many of the concerns we have stepping into the classroom. The author has also included worksheets to help teachers reflect on different situations and concerns as they arise. It's a book I'll turn to again and again throughout my career.
Tanya
Jul 06, 2013 Tanya rated it liked it
This book contains insight that may seem to be "common sense," however it is a good reminder that students are people. I plan to come back to this as a reality check when the testing and administrative responsibilities threaten to interfere with my true duty--helping students to be more than they were at the beginning of the year.
Nate
Aug 26, 2008 Nate rated it liked it
Shelves: education

I found this book to be enlightening in some regards, but often repetitive. Though much of the advice is common sense, even good teachers need to be reminded of the students' perspectives and unique situations. This is definitely a text I'll come back to when I start teaching, if only for the questionnaire templates.
Adrienne
I'll admit I skimmed this book, because it was written in a way that enabled me to do so. Some interesting ideas. It's hard to put into practice some of the things these students ask for though. I'll have to work hard on a few things, but some of them I understand very well and will use in my classroom.
Ryan
Sep 28, 2008 Ryan rated it liked it
Okay, fine, only read 90% of this. About 20% too much, really. If I could give 2.5, I would. If you get this, and you're new to teaching stuff, consider this as something like 1/2 of the story. There certainly is NOT enough student accountability in here. The pendulum swings too far to one side.
  • See Me After Class: Advice for Teachers by Teachers
  • Holler If You Hear Me: The Education of a Teacher and His Students
  • Reading Don't Fix No Chevys: Literacy in the Lives of Young Men
  • The Dreamkeepers: Successful Teachers of African American Children
  • I Read It, but I Don't Get It: Comprehension Strategies for Adolescent Readers
  • Teaching Outside the Box: How to Grab Your Students by Their Brains
  • What Teachers Make: In Praise of the Greatest Job in the World
  • The Skin That We Speak: Thoughts on Language and Culture in the Classroom
  • The English Teacher's Companion: A Complete Guide to Classroom, Curriculum, and the Profession
  • Never Work Harder Than Your Students & Other Principles of Great Teaching
  • Teachers Have It Easy: The Big Sacrifices And Small Salaries Of America's Teachers
  • Reading Reasons: Motivational Mini-Lessons for Middle and High School
  • In the Middle: New Understandings about Writing, Reading, and Learning
  • What Great Teachers Do Differently: Fourteen Things That Matter Most
  • Teaching with Love and Logic: Taking Control of the Classroom
  • Teach Like a Champion: 49 Techniques that Put Students on the Path to College
  • The Courage to Teach: Exploring the Inner Landscape of a Teacher's Life
  • Reading Ladders: Leading Students from Where They Are to Where We'd Like Them to Be