Start by marking “Manners” as Want to Read:
Manners

Manners

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  341 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Making a good first impression, tipping for a haircut, dispensing with a large handful of cherry pits, and determining the so-called pedestrian passing lane on a crowded sidewalk are just some of the many etiquette conundrums we all face. As liberated as we've become in our dress and in our lifestyles, good manners are still essential.
Whether you're in Boston or in Phoen
Published April 14th 2004 by Simon & Schuster (first published March 30th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Manners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Manners

Maria
I don't know if I can give this book more or less stars. I borrowed this from the school library with the intention to use this for a term paper. However, I was not able to get any input.

This book has cute illustrations and simple descriptions on manners, and I guess it succeeded in that sense.
Lisa
Kate Spade's etiquette trilogy is light hearted, modern, and fun. Manners is both right on the mark with its advice as well as with its random and silly miscellaneous information. The illustrations complement the mood and tone of the book.
Brenda
This book was written for a couple of generations below mine who obviously have NOT been taught manners and decorum. Additionally it addresses technological manners which is greatly needed. I loved the quotes on the bottom of the right hand pages.
Jenn
Jun 10, 2011 Jenn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teenagers, nieces, nephews
Shelves: etiquette
This is a cute book - not sure I would have paid $24 for it, however. It's got great illustrations but after the first half of this tiny tome, things start to thin out and there is more padding - such as two pages describing the sizes of standard business & personal letterhead papers (seriously??).

The book makes some nice points about etiquette, it also offers rhetorical questions on situations that aren't ever answered providing interesting points of discussion. I appreciate the emphasis on
Sandy
An interesting book with some good information on manners, but the format of this (and most of the other books on etiquette that I found at the library) is such that this wouldn't be the book to choose to look for answers to specific questions on etiquette. There is no index and each section contains an assortment of good advice, it is by no means complete or comprehensive. A good book to browse through when trying to learn more about manners, but definitely not a comprehensive reference book on ...more
Kat Arnett
A great reminder of the simple art of living well and with courtesy. Something it seems has gone amiss in the current state of things.
Summer
I enjoyed the information and the watercolor pictures inside.
Veronica
Call me silly, but I found certain bits of information in this book to be useful.

For instance....I had been enjoying oysters on a half shell by simply lifting the shell to my mouth and swallowing. Well, I learned that unless you are enjoying oysters at a very casual place, such as a beachfront bar, oysters should be eaten with a shellfish fork....I've since changed my ways, but prefer them right out of the shell. It's the only way to get all the lemon, cocktail sauce, & horseradish that I p
Angie Rouse
So lovely. A fun and easy read.
Josiphine
Interesting enough but it basically came down the golden rule with cute illustrations. The Spades occasionally came off as rather arrogant which was off-putting.
The Lost Lola
Another dull read from Kate Spade. Apparently, just her clothing is colorful- not her personality. If you want a good etiquette book, go for the obvious Emily Post. If you want to be told how one should behave in the most perfunctory terms, turn to Kate Spade. Here, you will learn the fine art of tipping a waiter (gasp!), how to eat french fries (with your- ready for this- fingers! le gasp!), and ignoring rogue mice when staying over at a friend's house (gasp- wait... what?).
Taryn Stansbury
This book was adorable but filled with (what I thought was) common sense. Many of the passages were simple, like always be a good sport while playing games and don't do your nails at the office. However, some people definitely stand to gain from more common sense! She referenced Emily Post's book Etiquette a lot so that is going on the list. This is a good read for anyone who just wants to be a little bit more classy!
Christine
Because nice really DOES matter. Do we try to be sincerely nice to people we are not fond of? I think, we think we do,but, really don't... we end up looking pathetically sad and sour grapes. This is a fun read... Although I don't have a doorman and I am not currently even close to her income level. So far I shouldn't eat certain things in a public setting. I can only take that so far...
Lillian
loved it!!!
Jewelianne
Manners is a quick read about some, but certainly not all, of the basics of etiquette. Although the book does seem to get off topic in some instances (I'm not sure that including several pages of telegrams written by famous people throughout history is really necessary to show the proper way to write a polite letter), it is a useful guide to general social niceties.
Kate Spades' tiny drawings keep me interested in this series. Her advice on manners is good, but not so practical. Yes, writing thank you notes and keeping your weekend guests in mind is always good, but I don't have a doorman to tip during the holidays, and I'll be damned if I never eat a peach in public again because it's messy. Love those drawings though...
e.c.h.a
Nah..kalo seri yang ini...rada masuk nih ke gw....

Buku ini menginformasikan mengenai etiket dalam berbisnis dan pergaulan....gw selalu suka buku-buku yang membahas Manner alias etiket. Apalagi kalo buku ini memberikan informasi tata krama di setiap negara.

Intinya di mana-mana etika itu mengajarkan kesopanan.
Emily
Cute book but screams of snobbery. Manners are important but some of these passages have very little impact on day to day life. Then again, I'm the type who can't throw rocks about which knife or fork to use at a hoity-toity dinner, so perhaps it's simply a matter of taste.
Kayla Eklund
Surprisingly, I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. It provided a lot of useful info that I will keep in mind that will help me everyday, and at the next social gathering I attend.
Cheryle
Again, love Spade's style of writing. Her thoughts on manners are light, personal and intimate, interjected again with quotes. Hand-drawn illustrations made each page a visual treat for me.
Clare
Some parts were cute and charming, but others seemed irrelevant or plain arbitrary. In a book on manners, I would like an explanation of why they are important or how they developed.
Gardiner Women
A wonderful summary of the manners that make the world a more pleasant place. It is a great reminder for readers of all ages. I particularly liked the 10 page spread on letter writing!
Courtney
There were definitely some cute quotes and new things I learned. However, it definitely read like an instruction manual for etiquette.
Rachel
Another fun read by Kate Spade. I learned a few new things, but would love to see this updated with her thoughts in light of the social media and smartphone era.
Relyn
May 28, 2015 Relyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: women
I really like Kate Spade. I just do. I like her. And I loved all the little watercolor illustrations that filled the book. Very nice. Very, very nice.
Clare Cannon
This is a delightful and extremely helpful series, with a focus on making life pleasant for others rather than standing by rules for their own sake.
Elisa
Very useful book with really cute drawings! I'd like to eventually use this as a reference in the etiquette class I want to teach!
Alice
I though this was a darling, fun to read book on etiquette! Great find--I recommend it as a refresher course for anyone--quick read!
Trish
This is a cute book about manners. You can tell that it is 11 years old though on the parts about cell phones, faxes, and emails.
  • Tiffany's Table Manners for Teenagers
  • How to Be a Lady: A Contemporary Guide to Common Courtesy
  • A Garlic Testament: Seasons on a Small New Mexico Farm
  • The Wall Street Journal Complete Money and Investing Guidebook
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Personal Finance in your 20'sand 30's
  • Scaling Down: Living Large in a Smaller Space
  • Prince Charming Isn't Coming: How Women Get Smart About Money
  • Emily Post's Etiquette
  • Things We Love: Twenty Years of Inspiration, Intriguing Bits and Other Curiosities
  • How Rude!: The Teen Guide to Good Manners, Proper Behavior, and Not Grossing People Out
  • The Style Strategy: A Less-Is-More Approach to Staying Chic and Shopping Smart
  • The Career Guide for Creative and Unconventional People
  • Better than Beauty: A Guide to Charm
  • 33 Things Every Girl Should Know About Women's History: From Suffragettes to Skirt Lengths to the E.R.A
  • The Meat You Eat: How Corporate Farming Has Endangered America's Food Supply
  • Toward a New Psychology of Women
  • 1001 Things Every College Student Needs to Know: Like Buying Your Books Before Exams Start
  • Things I Wish My Mother Had Told Me: Lessons In Grace And Elegance
Style Occasions Contents Nursery Style Becoming Myself: Reflections on Growing Up Female

“Cynicism is intelectual dandyism, but graciousness in speech is an aphrodisiac. (Andy Spade)” 3 likes