Start by marking “Occasions” as Want to Read:
Occasions

Occasions

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  249 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Every occasion calls out for something extra, whether it's flowers you set on the table, foods to honor a special gathering, or the selection of music. For both hostess and guest, consideration of those around you is among the most important qualities for any enjoyable occasion. A smile and sense of humor are also essential, and before the canapés and night lighting a good ...more
Published April 14th 2004 by Simon & Schuster (first published March 30th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Occasions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Occasions

Sara-Kay
Dec 06, 2014 Sara-Kay rated it liked it
Definitely self-indulgent and highly impractical at times (how much money do you think I have, Ms. Spade? And how much time, exactly??) but includes enough useful information to redeem itself enough to earn the label "pretty good." A guilty pleasure of sorts.
jenn
May 21, 2015 jenn rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
This was a cute, quick Scribd read for vacation, but definitely kind of lightweight. There are sections that are sample menus without recipes, or just, like, lists of things that relate to parties.
Brenda
May 06, 2014 Brenda rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, as I did Manners by Kate Spade. Again, I know most of the stuff in the book, given my age and experience but I still thought it was a good read and I did learn things.
Lisa Springsteel
Apr 27, 2015 Lisa Springsteel rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
This is one in a series of books by Kate Spade.
May 19, 2008 Laura rated it liked it
The weakest of the three Kate Spade books. I much preferred "Style" and "Manners". Perhaps it's because I'm not overly fond of formal dinner parties. I liked the section on traditional wedding anniversary gifts though(ie first year=paper). Her ideas were original and witty.
Jenni
Mar 26, 2009 Jenni rated it it was amazing
This was the best of the three books. She has some wonderful ideas for parties and she inspired me to go out looking for vintage linens and serving pieces. I would love to be in attendance at one of her parties... they all sound so lovely and fun.
RH Walters
Jun 13, 2012 RH Walters rated it it was ok
All the fun of entertaining without the stress of actually doing it. Nothing groundbreaking here, but I did buy Willie Nelson's excellent Teatro album at her suggestion and might try ironing my sheets one day.
Allison
Mar 28, 2009 Allison rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Aspiring host(esses) with the most(est)!
Recommended to Allison by: Casey McGrath, courtesy of a gift!
A delightful go-to guide on how to be a gracious hostess with the mostess, from advice on menus for certain party themes to music choices to set the mood! Entirely too rad.
Cheryle
May 07, 2013 Cheryle rated it really liked it
I probably won't actually throw many of the parties described in her book, but the art of being gracious in any situation is certainly an important one to learn.
Lauren
Jun 20, 2011 Lauren rated it it was ok
A nice book if you are rich and throw fancy parties....Other than that not very helpful. Style is my favorite of the three by Kate Spade.
Relyn
Feb 26, 2011 Relyn rated it liked it
Recommends it for: magazine lovers
I enjoyed this one, but perhaps not as much as the first two. Still, a nice read and a great set when taken all three together.
Karen
Jun 09, 2008 Karen rated it really liked it
This lovely gift from RB is a friend. Ideal for thumbing through on a pleasureable afternoon. Dreamy ideas.
Sandra
Jan 10, 2012 Sandra rated it liked it
Cute! She's built her own empire with handbags, etc. Maybe she'll write something else sometime.
Tracy
Jan 24, 2011 Tracy rated it it was ok
I do like Kate Spade, but I don't think I was in the right mood when I read this.
Ashley Smith
Mar 20, 2008 Ashley Smith rated it it was amazing
Now I want to own this book - a lot of good ideas. I'm ready to party!
Gina Hummer
Apr 23, 2012 Gina Hummer rated it really liked it
I love her! Her set of books would make a great gift for a new home owner.
Trish
Apr 14, 2014 Trish rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, 2014
This book is about what to do for different occasions.
Carie
Jan 16, 2010 Carie rated it really liked it
Describe this book in one word: essential. Must own.
Suz
Dec 20, 2008 Suz rated it it was amazing
Kate Spade has some delightful ideas.
Karyn
Oct 15, 2013 Karyn rated it liked it
Cute book. I liked it.
Veronique Lefrancois
Veronique Lefrancois rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2016
Natashia Duncan
Natashia Duncan marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Joanne G.
Joanne G. marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Carolina
Carolina marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2016
  • The Lucky Guide to Mastering Any Style: How to Wear Iconic Looks and Make Them Your Own
  • Things We Love: Twenty Years of Inspiration, Intriguing Bits and Other Curiosities
  • Tiffany's Table Manners for Teenagers
  • Emily Post's Etiquette
  • Style Statement: Live By Your Own Design
  • How to Be a Lady: A Contemporary Guide to Common Courtesy
  • Very Classy
  • Live a Little!: Breaking the Rules Won't Break Your Health
  • Spruce: A Step-by-Step Guide to Upholstery and Design
  • Live It, Love It, Earn It: A Woman's Guide to Financial Freedom
  • Event Planning: The Ultimate Guide to Successful Meetings, Corporate Events, Fundraising Galas, Conferences, Conventions, Incentives and Other Special Events
  • The One Hundred: A Guide to the Pieces Every Stylish Woman Must Own
  • Things I Wish My Mother Had Told Me: Lessons In Grace And Elegance
  • Growing Strong Daughters: Encouraging Girls To Become All They're Meant To Be
  • Tom Ford
  • Shoo, Jimmy Choo!: The Modern Girl's Guide to Spending Less and Saving More
  • Confidence: How Winning Streaks and Losing Streaks Begin and End
  • The Girl's Guide to Starting Your Own Business: Candid Advice, Frank Talk, and True Stories for the Successful Entrepreneur