Start by marking “Strong Women, Soft Hearts: A Woman's Guide to Cultivating a Wise Heart and a Passionate Life” as Want to Read:

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  266 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Recently updated with an expanded study guide, Strong Women, Soft Hearts has quickly become an important study for women of all ages. Through inspiring real-life testimonies, Paula Rinehart writes as both a kindred spirit and a compassionate counselor to women feeling robbed of their passions and trapped by life's disappointing realities. Women who long to be released from ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Thomas Nelson (first published July 17th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Strong Women, Soft Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strong Women, Soft Hearts

Susie
Aug 02, 2011 Susie added it
Don't read this book unless you want your toes to be stepped on a bit. If you read this book with an open heart, you'll probably start identifying areas of your life that you're not living to the fullest. You may be holding yourself back because of fear or past hurts, but Rinehart does a great job of encouraging you to take steps to get past those hindrances and to follow the Lord passionately. Life is unpredictable, but we serve a great big God Who wants us to be the strong, wise, loving, and f ...more
Lara Lleverino
Jun 11, 2012 Lara Lleverino rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Moms groups, mentors, mentees, women
Some of the best writing I've ever read on the true meaning of forgiveness versus reconciliation. This book gives you both the reason and tools for living in strength and vunerability. I thought chapters 1-7 were good I thought chapters 8-12 were phenomenal! I really couldn't stop thinking of people I wanted to pass this book on to...made me wish I was independantly wealthy so I could buy cases and mail it to everyone I know!
Mia Savchenko
This is so far the most inspirational book I have ever read about women & finding the strength from within. The book speaks to me in so many ways and taught me how to be a really strong woman-not by force but by the spirit of God in me.
Chris
This book has so much wisdom in it and so much that applies to my life. Definitely one I'll need to refer back to often. (It also goes along really well with the other book I'm reading, "1,000 Gifts".)
Shannon
The woman Matt and I are doing pre-marital counselling with recommended this book to me, and I just KNEW this was going to be a poorly written Christian self-help book. Instead, I was blown away by how real & insightful & hard-hitting this book was. I never read books like this, but this was incredibly healing for me in a lot of ways.

The only chapter that annoyed me was the one on sex because it was all "women should enjoy sex too!!" and while I totally AGREE I just couldn't identify wi
Caroline Yoder
Paula writes with such honesty about the struggles women face and offers not fluffy explanations, but solid truth that lifts the heart with hope and stirs up desire to live well. I rarely read a book twice. This one is an exception.
Ellie Poole
Lorna
Mar 13, 2008 Lorna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: women
Recommended to Lorna by: friend
The first quote gripped me. "in the end, it doesn't matter how well we have performed or what we have accomplished-a life without heart is not worth living. For out of the heart this wellspring of our soul flow all true caring and meaningful work, all real worship and all sacrifice." Brent Curtis and John Eldridge The author deals with reconnecting with long-lost dreams, refocusing misplaced passions, re-evaluating expectations, discovering who to trust, and developing a vision for life. I tend ...more
Jen B.
One of the most gently encouraging and stretching books I have read. This book brought to light so many aspects of what makes women so amazingly wonderful and perplexing at the same time. It not only allowed me insight into myself, and to feel honored in ways that I had never recognized, but it also gave me additional lenses through which to view other women, and the diverse relationships I have with them. I absolutely loved this book, and while it has been a couple of years since I have read it ...more
Kristin
There are three sections to this book:
Journey of the Heart
Windows into the heart
The wise heart

This book has a lot to think about...it has though-provoking questions with each chapter - perfect to go deeper on your own or in a small group of women.

I desire to be "a strong woman with a soft heart - a woman in touch with God and alive to all the possibilities that walking with him can bring." (page 5)
Carrie
Aug 16, 2007 Carrie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: seeking spiritual insight into uniqueness of gender
Even though this book is written for women, I thought the spiritual insights she has are for men and women alike. Some of the chapter titles include pain, control, trust, and sexuality: the unsuspecting mirror to your heart. This is not a book to read lightly. But if you're curious about femininity (because you are a woman, or because you love a woman), it's a great read.
Jennifer Honeycutt
My women's group went through this book. It took us from September to May, but we finally finished it and it was great to discuss with 6 other ladies to process through it. I got so much more out of it by going through it with others than if I had read it alone. Very good topics and thought provoking questions in the back.
Gina
I've read this book several times and I gain something from it with every read. I often give it as a gift for friends who are making a major transition because it speaks to that kind of upheaval, but I recommend it for any woman who wants to embrace life more fully with God's perspective.
Maryvimalaa
loved loved this book!!! i heard the author speak about 6 years ago and have read and reread the book many times. life throws us so many curves and it is a constant challenge to keep our hearts soft and open to the lord, to choose to live and love in spite of the pain.
Ansley
This book is a must read for all Christian women. It brought validation to so much that I have felt and not been able to put words to and made me really think about things in a new way. This book is a great healing tool and a wonderful motivator to find new hope and happiness.
Kelly
If ever you find yourself wanting to have the deepest parts of your heart touched, read this book, especially in times of hurt, which we all experience and will continue to throughout this life on earth. It is one of those books that you will always go back to.
Wannie Michelmann
This book is for women, guiding each how to cultivate wisdom and passion for life and for Christ. It covers our desire of the heart, pain, control and trust issues, sexuality and how to love ourselves and others. An okay read.
Katy
There were parts of this that I found informative and parts of it that pissed me off. I guess the "Soft Hearts" piece didn't quite sink in...actually, it was the overly-religious tone that bugged me.
Linda
Loved this book in that I want to know how to be a woman who loves and is tender in all of my relationships. This book inspired my thoughts for the Sixth Annual Legacy Principles Dinner Club.
Ashley
Nov 22, 2007 Ashley rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any woman.
Shelves: books-i-ve-read
i'm a hard critic on women writing women's spiritual life books...
BUT

this book is amazing. it would be an excellent Bible study book and has been gifted by me on several occasions.
Naomi Hagen
Amazing, thought-provoking book. I think every woman should read it and do some deep soul-searching about how they view themselves.
Christine
Truly, anything by Paula Rinehart, I absolutely love. She has a great way of saying exactly what my heart is trying to say.
Martha
Took me three separate tries between 2002 - 2007 to work through it. Vital to my process of listening to and becoming me.
Crae Achacoso
The perfect book for every girl battling with the proverbial and innermost issues about self, relationships, and life in general.
DeNise
I read this as a part of my group Bible study. There were many useful ideas to explore. It wasn't one of my favorite studies.
Ebeth
though the title didn't appeal to me, i found depth of understanding in the pages past the cover. hihgly recommend!
Maro
Inspirational! Very deep and eye-opening!I just loved it!

Recommended for all!
Karla Timpani
Aug 28, 2008 Karla Timpani is currently reading it
Great book for book clubs. Christianity plays a big part in Paula Rinehart's theories.
Laura Lou
Lost this somewhere in the mountain of moving boxes...hope to finish it someday.
Hope
This book really encouraged me as I was processing some difficult "realities".
  • 30 Days to Understanding the Bible in 15 Minutes in a Day
  • Souvenirs of Solitude: Finding Rest in Abba's Embrace
  • Women of the Bible: A One-Year Devotional Study of Women in Scripture
  • Women of the Word: How to Study the Bible with Both Our Hearts and Our Minds
  • Calm My Anxious Heart
  • Reluctant Pilgrim: A Moody, Somewhat Self-Indulgent Introvert's Search for Spiritual Community
  • The Singer
  • The Gospel of Ruth: Loving God Enough to Break the Rules
  • Treasuring God in Our Traditions
  • Authentic Beauty: The Shaping of a Set-Apart Young Woman
Sex and the Soul of a Woman: The Reality of Love and Romance in an Age of Casual Sex Better Than My Dreams: Finding What You Long for Where You Might Not Think to Look What's He Really Thinking?: How to Be a Relational Genius with the Man in Your Life Choices: Finding God's Way in Dating, Sex, Marriage, and Singleness Starting Strong

“Trust hangs somewhere between knowing what your heart longs for and trying to dictate the shape or timing or outcome of your heart’s desire. It lies in the willingness to accept the particulars of how and when and where God chooses to intervene. It waits in the cool shade of surrender.” 2 likes
“It turns out that playing it safe, at least in matters of the heart, is the most dangerous thing you can do. By that route, you become a butterfly pinned to the wall, with wonderful colors and all kinds of potential but going nowhere. Your wings are clipped. To really fly you must claim the courage to live out of your real self, the one God called into being.” 1 likes